Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

HoRneT041

1st Grade Fringe
Dec 4, 2018
Ikuvalu Taulagi and Garrick would be my preferred options.
Tupou would cost a lot and Rapana is getting old for a winger. Would still be happy with them.
Lee and Hiroti have dodgy hands. Would be my last choices in that list but both have try scoring ability so wouldn't be upset if we got them.
I wonder how highly Junior Ratuva is rated by the staff, and if they think he will be handed a starting spot next season
Rapana competes for everything..
Exactly the type of mentality our club needs at the minute..

I harp back to the Canberra game when the ball got out to Rapana in the dying seconds I was 100% thought we were done! lol

Would be a good buy if we can get him cheap?

Last edited:

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
I wonder how highly Junior Ratuva is rated by the staff, and if they think he will be handed a starting spot next season
He was part of a 30 man roster at the time before being released after tearing his Pec. He is acording to reports being picked up again for 2022. The quote from POS after securing Ratuva was this “he’s one of the best athletes I’ve come across in my time in footy”

He’s 22 years old 1.96cm and 110kg, can run the 100 in 10.7 seconds. I wouldn’t be to quick to assume we’re automatically going to market.

There are some very good outside backs coming through too, Vailea who like Berry slotted straight into the Dolphins side and is excelling.

If I were a betting man I’d put money on POS bringing in some talent he’s spotted or we already have, outside backs are his bread and butter which is why I’d be surprised if he went to market to pick up a middle of the road Aussie winger to bring to the club.

Last edited:

Toookey

1st Grade Fringe
May 3, 2021
I’m a bit confused by this talk of Maumalo leaving.
Why would he want to?
He’s on more money here, and if the stories re him being home sick etc are true, signing with another club - for less money, seems super strange to me.
Considering we let him go home last year and are letting him have time off to work on that poor calf injury he has atm…I can’t see any logic in that.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be okay if he left, but I can’t see what he’d be getting out of it.

Ohgeelowk

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 24, 2020
He was part of a 30 man roster at the time before being released after tearing his Pec. He is acording to reports being picked up again for 2022. The quote from POS after securing Ratuva was this “he’s one of the best athletes I’ve come across in my time in footy”

He’s 22 years old 1.96cm and 110kg, can run the 100 in 10.7 seconds. I wouldn’t be to quick to assume we’re automatically going to market.

There are some very good outside backs coming through, Vailea who like Berry slotted straight into the Dolphins side and is excelling.

If I were a betting man I’d put money on POS bringing in some talent he’s spotted or we already have, outside backs are his bread and butter which is why I’d be surprised if he went to market to pick up a middle of the road Aussie winger to bring to the club.
I wouldn’t mind another Marcelo type pickup, he’s probably exceeded most expectations, (from me anyway) and if he keeps up the solid performances it’s probably his wing spot to lose. But I’m also more than happy to see a viliami or junior get a crack also. Our man Peter hasn’t been too bad so far, I’m backing him in with his opinion on juniors talent.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Why would he want to?
He’s on more money here, and if the stories re him being home sick etc are true, signing with another club - for less money, seems super strange to me.
Considering we let him go home last year and are letting him have time off to work on that poor calf injury he has atm…I can’t see any logic in that.

Don’t get me wrong, I’d be okay if he left, but I can’t see what he’d be getting out of it.
The dogs will probably offer 1.2 mill for maumalo if DWZ is on 880k!

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
Why would he want to?

My guess would be that he’s been told he won’t be in the first grade squad anymore.

Penpal

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 22, 2014
What interests me is how much we go after a couple of Walsh's mates???
A) Walsh can help convince them to get here
B) Walsh could be more likely to extend in the long run if they are with the club

Wonder if there are any promising players who were year 13 in either 2019 or 2020 at Kebra that kind of got lost in the wilderness due to no footy in 2020 because of Covid.
Sure the pick of them will be signed but surely one or two slipped through the cracks and are worth a development contract or maybe POS could pinch a couple more Broncos development players or someone he was close to who was coming through at Norths Devils.
If they take up spots 29 and 30 in the roster have talent and come at the right price it could work

Penpal

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 22, 2014
I was thinking this also, however that article mentions Dufty as cover for Raiders No1 and potentially moving CNK to centre to cover Croker. Sounds like they still want to hang on to him, they need cover for both positions.
And if Curtis Scott is on the way out he might be very handy centre cover. Did a pretty reasonable job for the Kiwis at the end of 2019 at centre

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
With ken likely gone and Fusitua up for in the air, does Kosi seal a spot there? With no RTS next year too we'd have to be in the market for a winger you'd think. Is Rocco Berry a centre first then a winger or vice versa?

Plenty of good wingers on the market too. I like the Murray Taulagi kid from the cowboys, he's off contract. Others off contract are Daniel Tupou, Rueben Garrick, Ikuvalu, Edrick Lee, Hiroti, Rapana..
Without breaking the bank i would go after Garrick or Rapana.

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012
Ive always been a fan of ken, as you said he bends the line like no other. Not to be confused with breaking the line like someone told me when I first said ken was only one of the only players we had that consistently bent the line with his carries.. having said that, his defensive reads have been shocking at times, even his defensive efforts. I remember B-moz scored some tries against ken this year he had absolutely no right to score..

If ken goes, along with RTS and Hiku that's a huge amount of money left over. At least 1.5 mill.

Anyone have any idea how the cap works? I know it's 9 mill but does every club even have 9 mill to pay players? Or does the NRL prop them up? Just curious.

He hasn't bent the line in a long time, doesn't look like his heart is in it anymore.

He used to run the ball so hard now his hit ups are benign.

Was at his best when he was trying to prove haters wrong and since he got the accolades he is a shell of his former self sadly.

Change of club is probably exactly what he needs

YeahNah 4020

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 6, 2017
What ever the situation is with big Kenny he did a job for us that was required at the time
He trained and owned a new position and ate up the metres when we needed that in our game.

I wish him well and hope he finds what he needs to be happy both with his game and his life.

In saying that he may not go anywhere but I feel like he has been told he is not of our plans moving forward.

But as most of us agree on we have a NEED for SPEED even seeing Walsh hit the gas shows what we been missing.

I don’t think we need a star winger or even a seasoned winger we just need wheels to burn and I’m happy if we recruit or promote youth eases up the salary cap and gives us some strike power

Let the hunt commence

Last edited:
This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:
Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings