Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Is this even up for discussion? Harris is the man. Our pack leader. He has long hair. He is Jesus.

If you mean "pack leader" as in, in-your-face, prepared-to-risk-a-penalty-to-rark-people-up, not sure if we've got that at present. I know getting in your own player's faces when they're not delivering what's required is also part of the job description, but you can't ignore that first part.

Jazz offered that, but there's a line in playing that role and he crossed it a few times.

Although, to be fair, being a Warrior might put a spotlight on him that wouldn't be there if he wasn't a Warrior...

Let's not forget that Steve Price was regarded as rather mouthy - "most difficult captain to deal with" was the official terminology, IIRC - by the referees when he was New Zealand Warriors captain. This came out in a Rugby League Week survey of NRL match officials in 2009.

So the Warriors signing a renowned "pack leader" from Australia didn't work/won't work.

All I'm saying is all of us who want a pack leader may need to tone down our dreams of what that pack leader can do without attracting the disapproving whistles of NRL officials.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
The best pack leaders are those who lead the way by example, not the screaming skull in their own and opposition and Refs faces. One of the best of the modern era is the Pumas Captain Pablo Matera. What a player, a hard bastard and says it like it is on the field.

defensivebomb

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 29, 2018
Jazz will never be our pack leader unfortunately. He doesn’t have the judgement. That game against the Eels where he lost the mental battle with Brown was the perfect example.

Reactions: DANZ

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
I don't think pack leadership comes down to one person. Different people bring different things.
You need people to bring the organisation and communication (Tohu, Egan), people who lead the D line speed and kick chase (Jazz) and tough aggressive bullies who intimidate the opposition (Jazz tries, now AFB)
I agree with you that those things are important and show a determination to make a difference.

Just to be clear I’m talking about when the chips are down and we’re being dominated, it’s starts up front, who gets around the pack and leads them out of that because it will happen at certain times across the season.

I thought Lodge might be that guy, though I admit it didn’t work for him with injuries under Seibold this season.

AFB has many qualities about his game but I’m don’t believe leadership is one of those unfortunately. The roster seems set so I will have to wait and see, I guess for me it’s Tohu who is potentially the most capable of making the step up to a great player with that kind of Mana and the central figure within a talented pack forwards.

Spare a thought for Mannering too. He was a good leader but just never had the kind of cattle around him we have now in the later part of his career.

Uncmase

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 12, 2016
Perth, Australia
I am saying that every time he got the ball he would get tackled and die with the ball. Not taking away from his commitment and effort over many years
I think a forward pack leader is the person you'd want in the trenches when shit goes down. Someone you can rely on during the tough times.

Mannering , Harris , Campion are the type of players i want in my corner. Huge engines , Hold a lot of mana. will lead by example. And not stop.
Not so flashy, But they set the platform for the flashy fullas to do flash shit.

Fuck , If we need them to score tries then our backs should fuck off home and not come back.

AFB may have the ability to offload , Roll threw opposition forward packs. Put a hit on.. Over a short stint.

These others I mentioned will bust ass from the 1st minute till the final whistle.
Even old little Jazz Tevaga puts in. And is hearty. Prone to a penalty or 10. But fuck he gives his all.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Jazz reminds me about a story by Blocker Roche about his team mate Gary Freeman Blocker commented to Coach Warren Ryan that Freeman was a very angry little man and imagine the damage he could do if he was Blocker's size.

Warren Ryan's response was 'God isn't silly Blocker'

Selector

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 2, 2015
Three players are on train and trial deals with the squad in Australia at the moment.

Pride Petterson-Robati, a kiwi from Wellington who plays second row, aged 25 and most recently played for Norths the Devils in the Queensland Cup and was a part of the Storm NYC team before moving to Newcastle.

Second player on a train and trial deal is Nathan Watts a prop aged 24, most recently played for Redcliffe Dolphins in Queensland Cup. Won a Queensland Cup title with them in 2018, and has played for the Queensland residents side previously.

Third player on a train and trial deal is Lahclan timm a prop aged 24, he was previously a part of the Dragons NRL team until last year, but never played a game for them. Most recently played for the Redcliffe Dolphins. Interesting to note that he spent time with the Warriors team training with them earlier this year.

tajhay

👻
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
Third player on a train and trial deal is Lahclan timm a prop aged 24, he was previously a part of the Dragons NRL team until last year, but never played a game for them. Most recently played for the Redcliffe Dolphins. Interesting to note that he spent time with the Warriors team training with them earlier this year.
He is very highly regarded and dragons fans were shocked he never got a game. Interested to see how he goes.

Tim burgess

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2012
Three players are on train and trial deals with the squad in Australia at the moment.

Pride Petterson-Robati, a kiwi from Wellington who plays second row, aged 25 and most recently played for Norths the Devils in the Queensland Cup and was a part of the Storm NYC team before moving to Newcastle.

Second player on a train and trial deal is Nathan Watts a prop aged 24, most recently played for Redcliffe Dolphins in Queensland Cup. Won a Queensland Cup title with them in 2018, and has played for the Queensland residents side previously.

Does that mean another forward could be moved on assuming the train and trails are successful.

Reactions: Off The Bench

Selector

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 2, 2015
Highly unlikely.
Like Jayden, they will all play for the dolphins next year. Going well for them maybe a contract for 2022
Could be looking at them for development contracts. Believe so far only Israel Ogden & Tyler Slade have been confirmed for development contracts for 2021. Would leave four slots to fill.

Reactions: Off The Bench

Selector

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 2, 2015
Adam Mogg coach of Redcliffe Dolphins and former Canberra Raiders player had this to say about Nathan Watts earlier this year

Mogg said Watts had made massive strides in the past 12 months and had the attributes NRL coaches were looking for in the modern day front-rower.

"Nathan is in his early 20s and has put on four or five kilos of muscle this year and his whole personal development has been a lot stronger," Mogg said.

"I think in the next 12 months he’ll put on another five kilos of muscle and be in the 110kg area and ready to play NRL.

"He’s super fit and runs really good times, and is one of those players who can play big minutes in the middle.

"In the NRL he could be one of those guys that plays lock forward and really develops his game."

Source: https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/03/09/intrust-super-cups-future-nrl-stars-revealed/

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Always thought Timms was a decent player.

Makes sense that we get these guys on a train and trial.

With our camps split in two we need the extra bodies. Guys like Frei, Curran and Bunty are unlikely to stay beyond this year so there's opportunity.

At the very least they're training with Warriors players who may end up playing for Redcliffe anyway so the transition could be fairly smooth.

All up no harm in any of it.

The Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 20, 2017
Auckland
Satae put up similar or better stats than timms in reserve grade while comparing the two. Satae was older tho
Rugby League Guru podcast this week cannot believe Lachlan Timm is not playing first grade somewhere. Big body with big stats who plays big minutes. I haven’t seen him play but like some other posters have alluded, it could be eyes on some guys for 2022 with a view to using the Redcliffe association to get that done in 21 while the current NRL roster is full.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Could be looking at them for development contracts. Believe so far only Israel Ogden & Tyler Slade have been confirmed for development contracts for 2021. Would leave four slots to fill.
Neither of those guys are with the club.

Kosi, Vailea, Glamuzina, Kalepo and Vagana are locked in.

With Otukolo, Lleyton Finau and Kepu twins fighting for the last spot over the preseason.

Last I heard J Nikorima isn’t being considered for a 2021 development contract.

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings