Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
I think the push for the larger more aggressive forward packs a smart move.
Should help kodi and channel lots as both don't have a great long kicking game. We shouldn't need to kick long with our wingers and forwards ever..

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Jul 12, 2013
Where is the speculation for Harris coming from?
Is it based on anything or from fan getting nervous?

Our situation on where we will be based would mean players have more to consider, we did quite well with our signings seeing as we can't say where we will be playing and you could be based in Australia or NZ for the offseason or season itself. That makes it hard for players trying to organise their families. Harris is leading the squad doing their pre season in Australia which indicates he is comitted to the cause and yes 2022 is another matter.

The Lodge speculation is a bit strange as seeing as our forward pack is already beefed up from 2020. We have AFB, BMM and Evans coming in with Ah Mau coming back from injury. Clubs will use the off season to review how they work with the 6 again rule, some favoured big men and some might favour seepd and mobility. That is a good thing for the game to have variety in teams and how they play. Clubs also now have time to adjust their conditioning for the new rules.

Still see the Loge speculation as strange seeing as we have a full squad. Mind you Sironen was a nice surprise.

Not sure if having a journalist shooting it down helps or not. Depends on the journalist, Brent Read was the one who had RTS out the door.

Chrism

U20's Player
Oct 27, 2020
to be honest there was so many articles and a lot of speculation about teddy because of a kid who is not even of age to play there is no games on so they have to make titles however they can if anyone really knew anything we would of had 10 articles leading up to the bayley sironen signing on another note david nofo free next season and that is a signature I would love to throw some money at

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
If the reported figures are true (blatant overpay), then he's basically just giving the club's money to his daughter.

CLEVER MOVE. Better than giving his daughter his money. Nice Move, Mr O'Sullivan.

Seriously: Don't need Lodge. Bad move just on publicity let alone money grounds. And surely, anyway, a deal with him - or anyone else - is up in the air until The Contracted Thirty becomes The Contracted Twentynine?

You'd look a bit of a twit to get a deal with Player B and then have to cancel the deal or pay out money you don't need to get rid of Player A because no club wanted to take Player A off your hands.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheCool and Uncmase

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
You'd like a bit of a twit to get a deal with Player B and then have to cancel the deal or pay out money you don't need to get rid of Player A because no club wanted to take Player A off your hands.
Its been talked about in the last few days on this thread, but it depends on where they are sitting on the salary cap. Someone like Jackson Frei would be on the minimum for a top 30 contract, if they needed the top 30 spot they could cut him (his salary would still count against the cap) and sign whoever they were lining up. But obviously this isn't an option if you're right at the cap.

Selector

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 2, 2015
Warriors rubbish reports of signing Broncos' prop Matt Lodge for next season

source: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...gning-broncos-prop-matt-lodge-for-next-season

The Warriors have dismissed reports they are close to signing Matt Lodge from the Broncos.

Over the past few days there have been a number of media outlets saying that the club are interested in the 25-year-old prop on a three-year, multi-million dollar deal.

However, Warriors’ recruitment and development manager Peter O’Sullivan told Stuff on Sunday that the reports couldn’t be further from the truth.

“Where all the speculation has come from, I have no idea,” O’Sullivan said.

“Neither myself or anyone from the club has spoken with Matt or his manager about any offer to come to the Warriors.

It’s just pure speculation and I have no idea where it started from.”

The Warriors have plenty of players for the middle next season, with Addin Fonua-Blake, Kane Evans and Ben Murdoch-Masila all joining the club for 2021 and beyond.

“We’re right for our middles, obviously when we signed Addin, that closed us off in that department,” O’Sullivan said.

“It’s not anything we’ve talked about and right now, our spots are full.

“So it’s complete rubbish and I have no idea who’s fuelling it, to where it’s coming from, but certainly nothing is coming from my end, or Matthew’s end.”

The Warriors have all 30 places on their roster filled for next season, so the only way the club could bring someone in would be if they were able to move on one of their current players.

Meanwhile, Warriors coach Nathan Brown has also recently shut down reports that they are talking to the Melbourne Storm’s Jahrome Hughes about a move to the club for 2022, when the playmaker comes off his current contract.

“I can honestly say we haven’t spoken to Jahrome Hughes,” Brown told Triple M’s Rush Hour with MG.

“What a terrific player, he’s been outstanding but we feel very confident in young Chanel Harris-Tavita, he played under ‘Mooksy’ (Stephen Kearney) and got around 30 games and Kodi Nikorima had his best year last year too.”

The Warriors have Harris-Tavita locked in until the end of the 2022 season.

Nikorima has an option in his favour for 2022 and until he indicates that he won’t take that option up, the club won’t go seriously looking for another experienced half.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
All a bit strange how the newshub story yesterday had a line in it saying "Brown sees lodge as a replacement for Blair". Could be shit journalism, Broncos trying to offload lodge and starting rumours or there's a bit more going on under he surface.

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 19, 2017
True. But in the article put up at 6 38, PO'S says he knows nothing about the lodge link and the newshub article yesterday said brown sees lodge as a replacement for Blair. Either PO'S and brown aren't communicating or brown never said that at all.
Brown never said anything as there was never an actual quote.
I'm saying maybe a manager is trying to do SOMETHING not sure what but ... by maybe contacting a journo or something and talking some shit. Inflating his value or something

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Brown never said anything as there was never an actual quote.
I'm saying maybe a manager is trying to do SOMETHING not sure what but ... by maybe contacting a journo or something and talking some shit. Inflating his value or something
Yeah probably. Last week it was Tom Amone, this week it's matt lodge, both props at least. Feel like our squad is far from finalised. I'm probably jumping at shadows, I tend to do that.

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
Warriors rubbish reports of signing Broncos' prop Matt Lodge for next season

source: https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...gning-broncos-prop-matt-lodge-for-next-season

The Warriors have dismissed reports they are close to signing Matt Lodge from the Broncos.

Over the past few days there have been a number of media outlets saying that the club are interested in the 25-year-old prop on a three-year, multi-million dollar deal.

However, Warriors’ recruitment and development manager Peter O’Sullivan told Stuff on Sunday that the reports couldn’t be further from the truth.

“Where all the speculation has come from, I have no idea,” O’Sullivan said.

“Neither myself or anyone from the club has spoken with Matt or his manager about any offer to come to the Warriors.

It’s just pure speculation and I have no idea where it started from.”

The Warriors have plenty of players for the middle next season, with Addin Fonua-Blake, Kane Evans and Ben Murdoch-Masila all joining the club for 2021 and beyond.

“We’re right for our middles, obviously when we signed Addin, that closed us off in that department,” O’Sullivan said.

“It’s not anything we’ve talked about and right now, our spots are full.

“So it’s complete rubbish and I have no idea who’s fuelling it, to where it’s coming from, but certainly nothing is coming from my end, or Matthew’s end.”

The Warriors have all 30 places on their roster filled for next season, so the only way the club could bring someone in would be if they were able to move on one of their current players.

Meanwhile, Warriors coach Nathan Brown has also recently shut down reports that they are talking to the Melbourne Storm’s Jahrome Hughes about a move to the club for 2022, when the playmaker comes off his current contract.

“I can honestly say we haven’t spoken to Jahrome Hughes,” Brown told Triple M’s Rush Hour with MG.

“What a terrific player, he’s been outstanding but we feel very confident in young Chanel Harris-Tavita, he played under ‘Mooksy’ (Stephen Kearney) and got around 30 games and Kodi Nikorima had his best year last year too.”

The Warriors have Harris-Tavita locked in until the end of the 2022 season.

Nikorima has an option in his favour for 2022 and until he indicates that he won’t take that option up, the club won’t go seriously looking for another experienced half.

P. O'Sullivan pretty much just answered all this week's questions .

geepee

Warriors Bench Player
Jul 30, 2020
I cannot understate how relieved I am by this seemingly being another case of the Aussie media randomly attaching us to a player.

I genuinely think we’re on the edge of being a finals team again. Signing Lodge would have seen me miss it entirely
least he could last longer on field than bmm and afb hence why both were flicked

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings