Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012

Rugby league: New Zealand Warriors reportedly set to sign controversial Brisbane Broncos prop Matt Lodge​

The New Zealand Warriors are reportedly set to offer controversial Brisbane Broncos prop Matt Lodge a multi-million dollar contract.

Channel Nine believe Lodge, who is the son-in-law of Warriors recruitment manager Peter O'Sullivan, has become expendable to the Broncos - a club with an excess of big forwards in their squad.

The Warriors, however, are in desperate need of big men with experience, especially after the retirement of veteran prop Adam Blair in September.

Axed Brisbane coach Anthony Seibold backed Lodge to be the club's next captain in 2018 while NSW coach Brad Fittler revealed Lodge was on his radar for Origin selection earlier this year.

However, Lodge's prowess with the ball would also come paired with a controversial history off the pitch.

In 2015, Lodge was arrested in New York over a drunken home invasion. In the video of the incident, Lodge was seen punching a hole in the wall and shouting abuse. Lodge's contract with the Tigers was terminated on October 18. Lodge spent two weeks in jail after being released to serve community service.

Lodge was ordered to pay more than $A1.6 million in damages in the case, after he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanour reckless assault charge.

He avoided a 12-month jail term in the US with the plea deal to compensate the victims.

Lodge's signing would also resurrect the controversy surrounding players managed by Isaac Moses who was accused by rugby league legend Ricky Stuart earlier in 2020 of ruining the Warriors club.

The Warriors have missed out on a stack of players they have reportedly targeted previously - including Lodge in 2019. This raises the idea that the club is ripe for being used as a bargaining chip in negotiations, with players' alleged interest and big offers helping improve the deal for those who have no intention of actually shifting to Auckland.

The 25-year-old is on nearly $NZ1 million a season at the Broncos and will likely get a pay rise at the Warriors if the deal is finalised.

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
Fox Sports reporting Lodge currently on A$500k for each of the next two seasons - so the reported ‘close to a million’ comment by the media is more likely a sum of the contract that they’ve confused with per season. Fucking muppets. Anyway im comfortable with a pay rise on that figure to join us.

YeahNah 4020

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 6, 2017
Just to set the scene, I don’t want Lodge, to be honest not as much based on past issues but more so in relation to salary cap and team balance. Our forward pack is looking solid and is a nice mix of body shape, age, experience and roles required.

That being said how would this work and we not lose Tohu Harris as that I do not want.
3 year deal at say 2 million being 700K
Brisbane to chip in first year salary
Player swap ? Or move on a few players ?
As a few boys have mentioned Ah Mau

For me Ah Mau and Bunty already on the pay roll and together do a better job than Lodge.

Side Note Tigers about to sign Ofahengaue so hopefully that may see Broncos retain Lodge

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
Regarding Lodge’s playing ability, along with the rest of the Broncos he was awful last season, however he also played injured. My concern would be if he has fully recovered from his injuries. If so then I see no reason why he can’t get back to his 2019 form which was exceptional. He clearly doesn’t have the defensive game of say LAM, however he offers more with the ball in hand. At his best he’s definitely one of the better props in the game.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Just to set the scene, I don’t want Lodge, to be honest not as much based on past issues but more so in relation to salary cap and team balance. Our forward pack is looking solid and is a nice mix of body shape, age, experience and roles required.

That being said how would this work and we not lose Tohu Harris as that I do not want.
3 year deal at say 2 million being 700K
Brisbane to chip in first year salary
Player swap ? Or move on a few players ?
As a few boys have mentioned Ah Mau

For me Ah Mau and Bunty already on the pay roll and together do a better job than Lodge.

Side Note Tigers about to sign Ofahengaue so hopefully that may see Broncos retain Lodge
I agree Ah Mau does a better job than lodge, but he is 30, which is getting on but a props peak age from what understand. The more I think about it, it's probably for Ah Mau but also how many years would you sign Tohu as he's 29?

Reactions: YeahNah 4020

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
No issue with Lodge here - at the right price of course.

Interesting that the Broncos are offloading him because they have too much $$$ invested in their forwards - then we look at our pack versus our backs and spine....

Backs remain a concern. Not sure about having the best engine if the car has no wheels and poor steering.

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
It is hard to argue with the club trying to build a team of more cut throat and abrasive players. Our 'golden years' had talent mixed with abrasiveness and forward power has been a weakness for near on 10 years.

I'm worried about the balance too, but Lodge is a very good prop who can keep getting better. We have a pack which could end up being so relentless we break oppositions open.

I still trust management at this stage, apart from Montoya who seems like he is just taking up a valuable top 30 spot, they seem to have a clear plan that they are executing. My worst nightmare is to lose Tohu, but to be honest they may be putting in the building blocks that make his loss negligible if it does happen.

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
Broncos would have to chip in some of his contract. They are looking at a complete re build, and if we are in chats with Lodge, they clearly want him gone and have given permission to seek another club. For us to offer him more money, and not let Bronco's take any share in that would be double stupid.

I would expect if our club has half a brain, to make the Broncos pay the apparent "upgrade" in his current 3 year deal. How he would get an upgrade from last seasons performance is beyond me, he was shit in a shit team.

TBH I hope we don't sign him.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
We talk about getting the right balance within the side, isn’t a forward leader part of that equation too? despite picking up AFB I still don’t see that guy in our squad, particularly with Adam Blair now retired.

The Raiders have Papali, Roosters JWH, Storm have Bromwich. We haven’t had a player with those qualities since Price & Wiki.

Not saying he’s at their level but he‘d make a corner stone for our pack in a similar way. Uncompromising follow me type who gets his meters and doesn’t take a backwards step.

Despite how it all looks and the obvious nepotism that’ll surround POS I can see why he and Brown are going this way.

In maxing out the forward pack both CHT and Nikorima will have their best chance.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
If we do get lodge then BMM definitely plays at 13, which Tohu or jazz paves the way. Someone on here said Tohu is being prioretised over jazz, rightly so. If we can keep Tohu that is a crazy pack. We do keep him next year at least at this stage either way. Tohu starts with BMM off the bench to fill any forward spot bar hooker I reckon if he's re signed. Egans awesome but light at hooker if he gets injured.

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
hamilton
Isn’t Lodge managed by the dodgy guy who just got banned from managing? If so this reeks of his moves to drive a players value up using the media.

Tedster

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 29, 2014
Genuine question but how is O'Sullivan able to be in negotiations with family members? Or do i have that wrong? His son and now possibly son in law? Would of thought we were set for forwards and am in the no camp for lodge.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
So pos wants to bring in another pos?
How ironic (I think? I’m never quite sure with irony).

Just on tohu... I did read a post on another forum earlier in the year that he was unhappy at the club and the sharks had made an approach but we knocked them back.
Now I wouldn’t usually read much into that but I’ve kept an eye on that poster since and he’s been on the Mark with a few other things...
Hopefully the strong finish to the year along with some good additions to the squad has cheered tohu up somewhat.

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
So pos wants to bring in another pos?
How ironic (I think? I’m never quite sure with irony).

Just on tohu... I did read a post on another forum earlier in the year that he was unhappy at the club and the sharks had made an approach but we knocked them back.
Now I wouldn’t usually read much into that but I’ve kept an eye on that poster since and he’s been on the Mark with a few other things...
Hopefully the strong finish to the year along with some good additions to the squad has cheered tohu up somewhat.

First I've heard anything on the Sharks rumour. That's highly likely rubbish anyway, because they weren't even allowed to talk to him (until this month, but I know the agents are f*cking crooks anyway so they probably did), but the Sharks are also balls to the wall with salary cap in 2020, due to cap breaches penalties and average broken players like Dugan and Moylan on $800k a season. Yes they got rid of Morris mid season, and Xerri, but those 2 wouldn't have made up half his contract value.

There is nothing stopping him signing a contract with another club for 2022, if he was super keen to go, and now, he should have already signed a contract and pushed for an early 2021 release. Just like our mate Johnson did.

But, he is based in Australia with his family over the off season, which maybe says his family is more keen to live over there. Or just can't be bothered with quarantine's, which is also fair enough!

Tohu over Lodge any day.

I also think Jazz may stay at lock next season, otherwise our pack will but stupidly heavy, Jazz is a more nimble off loading hard worker.

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
No issue with Lodge here - at the right price of course.

Interesting that the Broncos are offloading him because they have too much $$$ invested in their forwards - then we look at our pack versus our backs and spine....

Backs remain a concern. Not sure about having the best engine if the car has no wheels and poor steering.
Maybe the club has faith in Pernham ,Rocco , Taylor an the other young backs coming through
It might be a case of a great stable of young backs ready to be unleashed by the warriors

Katoa an Murchie an JTB did good work for us last season .
So maybe by the end of this season Rocco an Pernham an Turner are seriously
Pushing for spots ..an the balance could be right .

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings