Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

YeahNah 4020

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 6, 2017
I feel like I have missed something, why do you say that?spill the beans bro.
I’m not sure if this is what Vancent is getting at but Hynes has had a pretty rocky upbringing and a few injuries in the lower grades

Nearly gave up on the game and most likely his journey through life, but had a lucky break at a training camp with Storm and now plays 1st grade under Bellamy

I see a father figure scenario going on there and I don’t see Hynes going as well away from that system especially at the Warriors

Respect to the kid for fighting the fight

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
I agree. I hope he's able to stay with the Storm as they seem to be a really good support system.

Kind of irrelevant, but with the sheer number of Kiwis the Storm pump out and turn into valuable rep players, now including playmakers in addition to forwards, I really kind find it in myself to hate them these days.

Rick O'Shay

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2013
New Plymouth
When the Womens comp starts they should look at this Russian girl Elena Zdrokova. Best running action I have seen for a long time male or female. Watch from about 5.00 minutes for extreme pace that a lot of men couldn't live with. She can tackle too

You're right there. Long stride and extreme pace, something we lack.

drake83

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 14, 2013
Palmerston North
I feel like I have missed something, why do you say that?spill the beans bro.

I haven't watched this I listened to the podcast version which was a tad longer. Mum in and out of prison him feeling like he was better than kids his age being given a shot. Wanting to give it all away to play park footy etc. Then a chance with the storm

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
You're right there. Long stride and extreme pace, something we lack.

Another is their Captain Mikhaltsova, tough as old boots, banned for over use of the boots against the Aussies, so she will fit right in.

Watched a few of their games on youtube, they have these twins, little blonde girls, never miss tackles despite being little, they remind me of the old wrestlers the Bushwhackers, when walking they look like they are wearing gumboots. The spirit of the Night Witches carries on.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Gordon Tallis eventually captained after some time... so maybe there is some hope for Addin Fonua-Blake?

love the idea of Addin Fonua-Blake as captain

But i can see him getting really frustrated with the refs, so Brown would have to coach him on the psychology of dealing with these cu**s.

Walsh is a future leader if we can keep him here.

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
love the idea of Addin Fonua-Blake as captain

But i can see him getting really frustrated with the refs, so Brown would have to coach him on the psychology of dealing with these cu**s.

Walsh is a future leader if we can keep him here.
Agreed, I’ve watched this part of Addin Fonua-Blake‘s game and he get‘s noticeably shitty with the refs. Probable authority figure issues lol.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015

I haven't watched this I listened to the podcast version which was a tad longer. Mum in and out of prison him feeling like he was better than kids his age being given a shot. Wanting to give it all away to play park footy etc. Then a chance with the storm

great interview! Thanks for sharing

you can see why someone of his character fits perfectly in the storms culture

so passionate about league, tough upbringing and comes across as smart and articulate

I’d happily take him at the Warriors !!!

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
Agree. Pretty sure hes looking for a permanent fullback spot. Us and the broncos has a fullback spot available. All other teams have their established fullback.
Id be flappn delighted with Nico as a Warrior and would be happy to offer him good money. That guy has the best attitude in the NRL. It cant be easy sitting behind Papenhousing for that FB spot.

It really is obvious the Warriors need an X factor HB and Waslh certainly fills that. But the Warriors doing the obvious never works out, they aim to either fix things with knee jerk reactions (kodi for example) or destroy the spine, the most important playmakers in a team. Kodi reminds me of an underwhelming Thomas L returning from Super League to the Warriors, it was the most underwhelming selection ever, at the time I thought, surely they will push SJ to 6 and find a marquee 7.

Speaking of Super League, watching the CCup this morning, a few players that really stood out for me.

Regan "Amazing" Grace on the wing with a Hat-trick. Brilliant, some call him Martin onFire 2.0, whilst i can see the desire to score being similar, Grace looks to have a bit more toughness to his game. He can score long or short range. He is exactly what we need on one of our wings. We cannot keep 2 x Lock Wings. As much as I like them both and both can score up and unders and in the corner, we need a stepping wing who also has pace whilst not being a paper weight either.

If Walsh is going to be playing FB next year, and i truely hope they have seen that hes originally a HB and a damn good one and being a half hes always involved and not leaving an open space at the back like he would if he played in the line as a FB (very few teams do that well, Warriors do not have the organisation in the offensive plays to make that work so hes going to be a waste of an X factor player imo)

But if they do, Aiden Sezer and Lachlan Coote both had amazing games this morning. Both have a lot of experience. Lachlan being part of the Premiership and World Cup Champ 2015 cowboys team. Both would provide a lot of experience at 6 outside CHT.

I do not "think" we could squeeze one more year of of Benji? And it looks like everybody on here has written SJ off. So we probably need to be looking at the super league for a 5/8th, most would jump at the chance to play NRL.

But definitely if we could sign Regan Grace that would add potency to our offence. He just signed another year with St Helens, but who knows.....

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
I’d happily take him at the Warriors !!!
Me too, very much so, and for the right money I think he would come.

In saying that I think CNK could be coaxed into a return for the right money.

We just need a tough gritty FB who can at times join in with the HBs when the 9 creates holes in the defensive line by running from dummy half etc.

Do we keep Kodi and try and make a 9 out of him?

Anyway does anybody have Brownies or the owners's number to say we have all agreed they should sign Nico immediately for an appropriate +10% figure?

What would Nico be worth and what would the Warriors have to pay to get him?

Its not like we will be short of money, especially if we can get Kodi playing 9 and doing really good at it. Oh imagine this for a spine 9: Kodi, 7: CHT 6: Walsh 1: Nico

That there is prbably the best spine in the NRL outside the Storm.

I still think Brandon will see that Harry will soon be the permanent 9 and be open to another offer. If only somebody was blocking Jehrome Hughes at the storm, we will have Jehrome, Brandon and Nico please, how much? lol

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Me too, very much so, and for the right money I think he would come.

In saying that I think CNK could be coaxed into a return for the right money.

We just need a tough gritty FB who can at times join in with the HBs when the 9 creates holes in the defensive line by running from dummy half etc.

Do we keep Kodi and try and make a 9 out of him?

Anyway does anybody have Brownies or the owners's number to say we have all agreed they should sign Nico immediately for an appropriate +10% figure?

What would Nico be worth and what would the Warriors have to pay to get him?

Its not like we will be short of money, especially if we can get Kodi playing 9 and doing really good at it. Oh imagine this for a spine 9: Kodi, 7: CHT 6: Walsh 1: Nico

That there is prbably the best spine in the NRL outside the Storm.

I still think Brandon will see that Harry will soon be the permanent 9 and be open to another offer. If only somebody was blocking Jehrome Hughes at the storm, we will have Jehrome, Brandon and Nico please, how much? lol
That spine still isnt top 5.... Storm, Panthers, Rabbitohs, Roosters, Raiders, Eels, Knights would still have a better spine than that when fully fit

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
That spine still isnt top 5.... Storm, Panthers, Rabbitohs, Roosters, Raiders, Eels, Knights would still have a better spine than that when fully fit
Raider and Eels? Big call. I know Warriors with Luke, Green, SJ, RTS were rated top 4, the hyper thetical team wouldnt be too far off that, providing Kodi could actually clear the ball as per BMs comments and Nico signed to the Warriors. Im not a huge fan of Walker but clearly Reynolds, Cookie and Johnston are a great spine, although Id like to see Johnston engage with the line more often, but he does have defensive vision like RTS. Its hard to argue with Panthers at this minute, but take away being the go to team in the comp and I think the spine would look a lot less flattering outside of Cleary. Roosters spine was definitely the best imo when they had Friend and Keary, but both have major concussion issues and one retiring due it puts them under a bit of a cloud, Storm is impossible to beat, I dont think you can get better, I think prior to the issues the Roosters have now, the Storm and Roosters were the 2 best spines. Although Im not a huge fan of Munster due to being a Grub, sometimes Grubs can be great players, look at Cam Smith. But Papenhuzen is simply the best player in the world imo. Hes defensively brilliant, he backs up nearly every play, which is why he scores and sets up so many tries, his footwork is brillaint. I wish the Warriors could have a FB backing up the dummy half and known offloading forward like Paps does. That is what we need, fast PTB speed and people playing off the hip of our forwards and dummy half. We didnt need to stamp out the entire Warriors offensive style they are renown for, we just needed to put some structure around hot potato, which is all Bellamy does

I think SK had everything from Bellamy set with the Warriors, but the Spine melt down in 2018 left him a bit lamed in offense and removed any notions of training the team for Storm like offensive structure. If we could just get SK back to get us back to phase 2 of the Bellamy/Bennet process which is Defense, and get somebody better at it to roll out the Bellamy offensive Phase :).

The Warriors exciting brand of offense needs to return but we need the right halves combo for it and a little structure around the hot potato.

I still think 24 year old Regan Grace would be the finishing signing for the Warriors and provide extensive offense across the board, one tall large Wing and one fast but solid wing. Not sure what money he would want but Im sure we have enough. That is providing we can fix 9, 6, 1 without too much damage to the purse strings. Im pretty sure we could afford Nico and Regan Grace, but not a marquee 9, given we need that speed out of the play the ball, I only see Kodi as an option, Im not sure who else we could attract to 9 who has pace and can clear the ruck fast for $500k?

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Raider and Eels? Big call. I know Warriors with Luke, Green, SJ, RTS were rated top 4, the hyper thetical team wouldnt be too far off that, providing Kodi could actually clear the ball as per BMs comments and Nico signed to the Warriors. Im not a huge fan of Walker but clearly Reynolds, Cookie and Johnston are a great spine, although Id like to see Johnston engage with the line more often, but he does have defensive vision like RTS. Its hard to argue with Panthers at this minute, but take away being the go to team in the comp and I think the spine would look a lot less flattering outside of Cleary. Roosters spine was definitely the best imo when they had Friend and Keary, but both have major concussion issues and one retiring due it puts them under a bit of a cloud, Storm is impossible to beat, I dont think you can get better, I think prior to the issues the Roosters have now, the Storm and Roosters were the 2 best spines. Although Im not a huge fan of Munster due to being a Grub, sometimes Grubs can be great players, look at Cam Smith. But Papenhuzen is simply the best player in the world imo. Hes defensively brilliant, he backs up nearly every play, which is why he scores and sets up so many tries, his footwork is brillaint. I wish the Warriors could have a FB backing up the dummy half and known offloading forward like Paps does. That is what we need, fast PTB speed and people playing off the hip of our forwards and dummy half. We didnt need to stamp out the entire Warriors offensive style they are renown for, we just needed to put some structure around hot potato, which is all Bellamy does

I think SK had everything from Bellamy set with the Warriors, but the Spine melt down in 2018 left him a bit lamed in offense and removed any notions of training the team for Storm like offensive structure. If we could just get SK back to get us back to phase 2 of the Bellamy/Bennet process which is Defense, and get somebody better at it to roll out the Bellamy offensive Phase :).

The Warriors exciting brand of offense needs to return but we need the right halves combo for it and a little structure around the hot potato.

I still think 24 year old Regan Grace would be the finishing signing for the Warriors and provide extensive offense across the board, one tall large Wing and one fast but solid wing. Not sure what money he would want but Im sure we have enough. That is providing we can fix 9, 6, 1 without too much damage to the purse strings. Im pretty sure we could afford Nico and Regan Grace, but not a marquee 9, given we need that speed out of the play the ball, I only see Kodi as an option, Im not sure who else we could attract to 9 who has pace and can clear the ruck fast for $500k?
If were looking player vs player then yes, Eels and Raiders spine would still be better. Nikorima and CHT probably wouldnt make half of the other teams spines right now. But yea i agree, if our back (more so wings) were better then i could see our spine being better than they are currently in terms of try assists, kick chase, tries.

But most other spines can create for their wings, no matter who they are. Our wings hardly ever see the ball except for kick returns so that does add some pressure on our spine who aren't creating opportunities. good to see our team spreading the ball more in the last few weeks.

I agree that attack wise, Nikorima would be awesome at hooker, Our distribution from hooker hasn't been amazing anyway so can throw that theory out about his passing being an issue. The thought of having an additional kicker from dummy is good when our halves are getting shut down or rushed. But defensively its obvious he would be a speed bump but i mean, Egan isnt the best defender. Although he does hang on but theyre not very effective. CHT defensively is awesome and hope he show some improvements on attack from last year. So, our spine has potential but if were talking facts, right now our spine is average and Nico Hynes wouldn't change that. Hes not better than RTS so no improvement there

Reactions: AusWarriorsFan

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
If were looking player vs player then yes, Eels and Raiders spine would still be better. Nikorima and CHT probably wouldnt make half of the other teams spines right now. But yea i agree, if our back (more so wings) were better then i could see our spine being better than they are currently in terms of try assists, kick chase, tries.

But most other spines can create for their wings, no matter who they are. Our wings hardly ever see the ball
Yep, I see your point. I was only refering to the theoretical spine with Nico from the Storm playing for us at FB and Kodi moving to 9. CHT at 7 and Walsh at 6. One of the Storm 9s would be lovely, Id take either one, if Brandon gets blocked I can see him having enough of that. Return home, young Warrior haha.

I think CHT is a better player than hes getting discredit for though. Hes a good game management half. The problem I see is he doesnt have the voice yet to dominate game management. I hope that comes this year. Kodi getting the ball to our wings is next to non existant. He either passes too early or he holds onto it in impossible situations or he does his woeful bomb which never gives anybody a chance. You watch Waslh bomb and its pin point, even his long distance one, gives our defense time to get down and pin the player.

Reactions: ramps

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Not quite sure where to post this but hstop200 has released their player rankings for all first XV players across the country for this upcoming season. I've pulled out all the players that have been signed by Warriors, have played for an age grade Warriors side or have been linked to the club. For example, they have Jeremiah Asi as the fourth best player in the country. Hstop200 are usually pretty accurate and a good indicator of success post-school in not just union but also rugby league.

Overall RankingNamePositionSchool
4​
Jeremiah AsiFullbackSt Peters College
11​
Ben AkiPropSt Kentigern College
14​
Tony TafaPropKelston BHS
16​
Francis Manuleleua (Year 12)2nd 5/8Kings College
21​
Tome Poona1st 5/8Rotorua BHS
71​
Cullen Gray1st 5/8Auckland GS
78​
Jacob LabanWingerKelston BHS
91​
Tamiro ArmstrongCenterRotorua BHS
101​
Zyon MaiuuBlind SideKelston BHS
170​
Ali LeiatauaCenterKings College

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Not quite sure where to post this but hstop200 has released their player rankings for all first XV players across the country for this upcoming season. I've pulled out all the players that have been signed by Warriors, have played for an age grade Warriors side or have been linked to the club. For example, they have Jeremiah Asi as the fourth best player in the country. Hstop200 are usually pretty accurate and a good indicator of success post-school in not just union but also rugby league.

Overall RankingNamePositionSchool
4​
Jeremiah AsiFullbackSt Peters College
11​
Ben AkiPropSt Kentigern College
14​
Tony TafaPropKelston BHS
16​
Francis Manuleleua (Year 12)2nd 5/8Kings College
21​
Tome Poona1st 5/8Rotorua BHS
71​
Cullen Gray1st 5/8Auckland GS
78​
Jacob LabanWingerKelston BHS
91​
Tamiro ArmstrongCenterRotorua BHS
101​
Zyon MaiuuBlind SideKelston BHS
170​
Ali LeiatauaCenterKings College

You wouldn't happen to remember where schoolboy stars like Papali'i, Tuipolotu, Nanai-Seturo, Hayze, Vunivalu, Vete etc have placed on these lists in past years for reference?

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:
Newcastle Knights McDonald Jones Stadium, Newcastle

Last Game

13 Jun

16 - 42
4.6 Total Avg Rating
6.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 8 ratings