Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Cces

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 12, 2013
Christchurch
Wonder if we release Turner early given he’s out for the year in order to free up a top 30 spot to sign a hooker on the minimum or upgrade a development contract player.
Who pays his salary for the rest of the year in that scenario? We've got until August 1st to confirm our Top 30 & have the ability to play whoever we want after Round 10 don't we? Can't imagine having him on the books until end of season disadvantages us one bit

Reactions: Paulo24

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Who pays his salary for the rest of the year in that scenario? We've got until August 1st to confirm our Top 30 & have the ability to play whoever we want after Round 10 don't we? Can't imagine having him on the books until end of season disadvantages us one bit
Yeah we would. Can’t get out that. It would also count against our cap still.

The only advantage is the roster spot in top 30. Another player eligible for first grade.

Probably only have close to minimum Top 30 salary contracts to give out if Turner and part of Lawton salary still against the cap this year.

Reactions: J_P

jmb_31

Warriors Bench Player
Feb 27, 2021
We could do with a player like daryl clarke as our hooker. Very much in the cam smith, josh hodgson mould of hooker. Egan tries to be the same type of player but im not sold on him. At least daryl clarke is proven at international level too
There's a number of super league players i'd be interested in. Honestly, after Canberra's success i'm surprised we don't look over there much. I've quite liked the looks of Regan Grace and Jake Connor.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
Chiefs fullback/first five. Was signed by us out of Rotorua Boys with Hayze and Tom Ale, but went back to rugby.
Sounds great

Or shit 😂

seriously tho I can’t comment on this particular player but I like the line of thinking- we’re a unique club and need to think out of the box a bit.
There’s some potential gems running round nz union- they can’t all be all blacks.

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 23, 2016
Now that it's the Broncos young talent being poached, we need to do something about it.

Oh, I see how this works.

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
Now that it's the Broncos young talent being poached, we need to do something about it.

Oh, I see how this works.

Classic Donaghy is ex-Storm. "I have made a living of doing it to the Broncos, but now I'm not I want it to stop."

In 23 years the Storm have only had something like 2 homegrown players (neither long-serving). Protecting clubs from having their juniors poached can't happen when teams without junior nurseries like the Storm exist.

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 23, 2016
Classic Donaghy is ex-Storm. "I have made a living of doing it to the Broncos, but now I'm not I want it to stop."

In 23 years the Storm have only had something like 2 homegrown players (neither long-serving). Protecting clubs from having their juniors poached can't happen when teams without junior nurseries like the Storm exist.
True. We could at least offer salary cap discounts on offerings to homegrown talent. Say 20%, then Warriors could pay 20% more on their own homegrowns and it wouldn't count to the cap. Maybe they already have something like that?

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Feb 24, 2013
True. We could at least offer salary cap discounts on offerings to homegrown talent. Say 20%, then Warriors could pay 20% more on their own homegrowns and it wouldn't count to the cap. Maybe they already have something like that?

I'm totally in favour of that, but it would be the death knell of a couple of the NRL's glamour teams, with one being in such a 'key market' like Melbourne. They have been receiving a leg up for years from Murdoch if I remember rightly. Any bonus/discount system will hurt Melbourne, unless they donate them another catchment area.

Reactions: Defence

gpred

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 23, 2016
I'm totally in favour of that, but it would be the death knell of a couple of the NRL's glamour teams, with one being in such a 'key market' like Melbourne. They have been receiving a leg up for years from Murdoch if I remember rightly. Any bonus/discount system will hurt Melbourne, unless they donate them another catchment area.
If you got the percentage right, I don't know that it would be the death of Melbourne, as at least in the short term a number of players would take less just to be part of their system (they already do that). And we could also allow Melbourne to tag a team in say Brisbane to count as their homegrown provided they contribute to that team financially (again, maybe they already do that?).

Anyway, think if done right it could force Melbourne to operate at equity? Minus the brown paper bags which of course them and the Roosters will always be allowed while the NRL turns a blind eye ;)

Reactions: Defence

wellyboy

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 1, 2015
I would like to see walsh at 6 permanently. Yes im on that bus. Its only been 2 games but what he has shown so far is what is required to be a five eighth. He has x factor but also demands the ball all the time (cant do that playing fullback). So i think we should look for a fullback for 2022 and onwards and theres a few quality contenders off contract.

Caleb Aikens, Matthew Dufty, Peta Hiku, Tex Hoy, William Kennedy, Nicho Hynes.

Harry Death

Waterboy
Mar 18, 2021
I feel our team dynamics have changed considerably since Dufty’s name was first thrown about as a possible FB replacement before the season kicked off..

Now with RW showing plenty of promise as a playmaking half, I feel Dufty and Reece would create absolute mayhem for our opponents on attack.

We will just have to adjust our defence to accommodate their flaws, but that’s what good teams do?

I think the payoff will be well worth it.
Dufty is not someone you want in this club. I have heard he's not a good influence and maybe that's why the Dragons don't want to keep him.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
stop poaching our juniors, another way to say that is, dont have to pay them what they are worth because we developed them.

Reactions: fizurg
This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:
Manly Sea Eagles Rate Match

Last Game

09 May

32 - 38
4.9 Total Avg Rating
6.8 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 14 ratings