Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

wrighty

I dream of the blackcaps winning the world cup
Contributor
Mar 17, 2018
If we are looking at off loading anymore players it would be Curran and Frei surely. Neither are likely to get any game time.

It was100 percent the right move to recruit Curran even if he never pans out. He could have been anything and still might be.
I felt so bad for him last year. He finally got a game and he tried so hard and he made one mistake after another including using up our captains challenge needlessly. I feel for him and have a soft spot for him. I hope he makes first grade with some team. Much better player than Ice, not that is much of a benchmark.

the borg

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 8, 2015
Pretty happy with the new recruits, especially the forwards and if 2020s anything to go by. Every team was plagued with a high injury toll. Expecting the same in 21. Good to have that cover, more so with experienced nrl depth rather than too many rookies..

Backs, well make do with what we got...

Things go well, top 8 real possibility

valpy73

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 29, 2016
It was100 percent the right move to recruit Curran even if he never pans out. He could have been anything and still might be.
I felt so bad for him last year. He finally got a game and he tried so hard and he made one mistake after another including using up our captains challenge needlessly. I feel for him and have a soft spot for him. I hope he makes first grade with some team. Much better player than Ice, not that is much of a benchmark.
I wont comment about Ice. Bayley has a better all round game compared to Josh and I think that the 2 spots filled by Jackson and Josh could be better utilised going to a couple of other local junior talented players

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
You can’t offload someone unless someone else wants to take them..
If we had any cap space we could just cut them and absorb their salary under the cap in order to free up the top 30 spot. Wouldn’t need another team and they wouldn’t be on much.

But I imagine we’re pretty close to the cap so we’re probably stuck with them.

Pretty surprising that Curran got away with no tap on the shoulder after Bunty got one.

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Sironen is a very good signing. We already have a monster pack, some ball playing balances it out.

Jazz has been the point of difference forward, but his offloads can also get us into a lot of trouble.

You don't need loose second phase flop the ball out the back and hope stuff if your pack can run over the other pack.

You just need good structure through a hooker that can use your size advantage by putting big guys onto a ball at the advantage line.

Eagan is very good at that. You also do not need a running Hooker if you can mobilize much bigger people in succession to build momentum, rather than rely on someone scooting from dummy half when the opportunity presents itself,

What I am seeing is that the plan is to dictate our own terms. No more waiting for opportunities or taking pot luck second phase shots.

We have the pack injuries willing to dish out the heavy stuff in a structured way and force the opposition to lift by merely using our normal game.

Said it before for over a decade now, but big forward rugby league is New Zealand rugby league, and the Warriors have been the most frustrating thing to happen to NZ League because of a failure to see this principle.

There has always been this miss understanding about big Kiwi forwards, that they will be slow and lumbering and unfit.

The thing is Warriors, you created that stigma yourselves by having piss poor development programs and disgraceful fitness systems. While other clubs took names like Bromwich and turned them into Terminators.

In furture hopefully we wont have to import big people, in futiure hopefully we will create them ourselves.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Stephen chrichton refusing to commit to the panthers past his current contract, hopefully our centre for 2022. If PO'S has big raps on Albert Hopoate I would back him.
I wonder how agents are going to spin the warriors are interested factor into bulking up the payday for some of these young guns? I guess all of a sudden the broncos are interested? 🤣 I can't see the warriors making anymore plays this year and next, and I'm real happy with Nathan browns first year squad, he should be able to make a dent in the finals with this mob?

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
I wonder how agents are going to spin the warriors are interested factor into bulking up the payday for some of these young guns? I guess all of a sudden the broncos are interested? 🤣 I can't see the warriors making anymore plays this year and next, and I'm real happy with Nathan browns first year squad, he should be able to make a dent in the finals with this mob?

Should have been able to make a dent in the finals with the Knights team he assembled in the final year of his tenure. Obviously that team still has attitude issues, even under O'Brien. But I'm not entirely convinced about Brown.

I hope to be wrong and he really builds on 2020, but I'll hold that judgement until we're in the middle of the season.

In terms of recruitment ... surely the Kodi rumour is completely false unless we have somebody really good signed. As it stands, our halves depth would be horrendous with no Niko. CHT as our number one, with Turner and SoS fighting it out to partner him. That leaves us VERY skint on experience and even worse off with depth unless I've forgotten somebody? I guess J Niko is hovering about potentially, but he's a very unknown factor.

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012
If we had any cap space we could just cut them and absorb their salary under the cap in order to free up the top 30 spot. Wouldn’t need another team and they wouldn’t be on much.

But I imagine we’re pretty close to the cap so we’re probably stuck with them.

Pretty surprising that Curran got away with no tap on the shoulder after Bunty got one.
That sounds like great salary cap management 🤦🏻

flying coconut

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 21, 2012
Curran ain’t doing shit for us next year, let’s be honest.

His top 30 roster spot by itself is more valuable than the money we would have to absorb under the cap.

He’s on a small contract and has one year left, absolute chump change in the scheme of things.

A) how do you know what his contract is worth? Source?

B) He was set for a big year before he got injured and impressed a lot of the staff. Its a 30 man squad and he is a quality enough player who can do a job in first grade if he is fit

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
A) how do you know what his contract is worth? Source?

B) He was set for a big year before he got injured and impressed a lot of the staff. Its a 30 man squad and he is a quality enough player who can do a job in first grade if he is fit
It looks like the club has relegated him to a reserve position
With Murchie ,Katoa ,Harris , Sironen ,BMM ahead in the second row stakes

I haven't seen to much of him play but I'm sure he has something going for him
I hope you are right an he does push for spot ..But there is some talent ahead of him .

Reactions: wizards rage

Ohgeelowk

Waterboy
Nov 24, 2020
reading this has made me think jayden will defo not be upgraded any point this year or even the next
Just wondering how you came to the conclusion that Jayden won’t be upgraded? I’m no recruiting agent and judging from everything I’ve seen so far he’s a wildcard, who has a lot more upside than most of our bois on the train & trial contract.

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 2, 2013
Just wondering how you came to the conclusion that Jayden won’t be upgraded? I’m no recruiting agent and judging from everything I’ve seen so far he’s a wildcard, who has a lot more upside than most of our bois on the train & trial contract.
I thought Brown was very positive. He has to earn a contract but they recognise he has a lot of work ahead of him. They wouldn't have signed him to a train and trial if they didn't think he could succeed. It appears he has started well but is the first step in a steep long staircase.

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings