Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Trugoy

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 3, 2016
If it was the same money offered by Titans and warriors I would bet he’s coming to the warriors. The kid is kiwi proud.
He lived on the Gold Coast since he was about 14 and has talked about wanting to settle back on the Goldy after footy. Titans are odds on to get him.

Reactions: Off The Bench

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Depends, is the side coached by Bellyache? does everyone perform their role to the letter? is Cam Smith picking the defense apart and feeding Kodi the ball?

I might take Hughes but it’s close.
If it’s the Warriors a side that lacks speed and depends on the likes of Kodi, then I’d look at Kodi. His combo with Katoa and Murchie is also developing well.
I also get a little nervous when players move away from the Storm - there are a few examples at the Warriors including Hoffman, Todd & Dane Nielsen. All 3 were great at the Storm but never reached the same heights away from Melbourne and some of their superstars.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Sydney morning herald apparently this morning saying we are still in the mix for matt lodge. Couldn't see how we could have enough for Hughes and lodge, must be waiting to see if we can move guys on?

Reactions: Off The Bench

Barty

Warriors Bench Player
Sep 29, 2020
Sydney morning herald apparently this morning saying we are still in the mix for matt lodge. Couldn't see how we could have enough for Hughes and lodge, must be waiting to see if we can move guys on?
I have believed for a while that Lodge will end up with us. he has not started training with the Broncos - K Walters stated the other day things were "amicable" and he should be at training in December. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a swap proposed with any of Bunty/Curren/Frei or two off?? I cannot see Curren or Frei getting any time so why hang onto them? If he can get injury free and get back to the form of a couple of years ago, Lodge would be useful.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
I have believed for a while that Lodge will end up with us. he has not started training with the Broncos - K Walters stated the other day things were "amicable" and he should be at training in December. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a swap proposed with any of Bunty/Curren/Frei or two off?? I cannot see Curren or Frei getting any time so why hang onto them? If he can get injury free and get back to the form of a couple of years ago, Lodge would be useful.
Walters said the other day he believed ofahengaue and lodge would be at the club next year but yesterday Ofahengaue signed with the Tigers so lodge could be up for grabs. Surely offloading a prop or two if there is interest since we have so many in our 30 at the moment.

Reactions: Defence

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
The article makes it sound like Lodge for 2021 while our attempts to lure Hughes starts in 2022.

Makes me a little nervous about who we could lose in 2022 *cough*Tohu*cough*
Also Jackson Hastings has stated he's willing to go back to the NRL if the right team offers him a contract for 2022...Again. Looks like Nikorima gets his shot next year and if he can't lock it down, someone else will be brought in. Waiting may cost us with Hughes as the storm may have the money to upgrade him if smith retires. Maybe it's smoke and mirrors to get the storm to use some of smiths retiring money to drive up Hughes fee and hope they can't afford Brandon smiths demands and we go with Hastings instead of Hughes. I think if we get an open border and home games it would go a long way to settling Tohu and hopefully resign for 2 years

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
The article makes it sound like Lodge for 2021 while our attempts to lure Hughes starts in 2022.

Makes me a little nervous about who we could lose in 2022 *cough*Tohu*cough*
Tohu might not want to resign with us.
He has said the reason he came here is because of Kearney
An his next deal I'm thinking will be for the money..He's got a real shot to go to market
An set himself and his family up for life. An good on him he deserves it.
But I can't see us affording a million dollars at the moment
So enjoy him while we got him hes a champion.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Tohu might not want to resign with us.
He has said the reason he came here is because of Kearney
An his next deal I'm thinking will be for the money..He's got a real shot to go to market
An set himself and his family up for life. An good on him he deserves it.
But I can't see us affording a million dollars at the moment
So enjoy him while we got him hes a champion.
I can't see why he would want to leave now? We are finally assembling a team to challenge and he would want to jump ship? He's worth an upgrade but not same money as RTS.

We would surly offload a few players to accommodate him. It just would surprise me he would want to leave?

I would cut Curren Immediately and even though I'm a jazz fan I would be prepared to let him go to move Tohu into the middle to make way for our young backrowers?

Barty

Warriors Bench Player
Sep 29, 2020
Walters said the other day he believed ofahengaue and lodge would be at the club next year but yesterday Ofahengaue signed with the Tigers so lodge could be up for grabs. Surely offloading a prop or two if there is interest since we have so many in our 30 at the moment.
He also said the other day dealings with Lodge were "amicable"!! That wouldnt install alot of confidence that he was staying at the Broncos!!

wrighty

If you really twisted my arm. And got me at the appropriate moment. I might be extremely reluctantly, and with much internal remorse, be willing to trade Jazz straight up for Lodge even though the innards of my heart would be torn apart.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Jahrome Hughes will be at the Titans in 2022. It’s so obvious.

He’s a Titans junior and has said publicly that he wants to be in the Gold Coast and set up his family there.

Ash Taylor is off-contract at the end of 2021, which frees up $1m.

Let’s turn our attention elsewhere.

The crow

Warriors Bench Player
Jul 22, 2020
Our forward recruitment makes a hell of a lot of sense but the backs are a bit of a puzzle.
Montoya is a poor man's Pat Herbert.
Totally agree. I thought Herbert went well last season and doubt he was on very big money. Maybe he got a much bigger offer from the Titans and we couldn't match it, in which case fair enough. I can see Montoya being another Zac Santo style signing where we all sort of forget he's here until he signs for Leigh Centurions at the end of 2021.

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Last Game

28 May

28 - 29
5.6 Total Avg Rating
5.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 15 ratings