Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland
Who would want to play for a losing team and players that dont play for the jersey and put on shit piss poor performances. Every week, every year.
Probably you, but you're just a fan so no chance of being recruited sorry..

Whilst I agree with the national sentiment defensivebomb speaks the more ABs playing in the NRL the better for NZ league, Kiwis and Warriors..

Last edited:

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
Pfftt. He has adapted well from competing against Scott Drinkwater and Nico Hynes for the Fullback position then switching and adapting to halfback and competing with Brodie Croft.
Every post he's made a his mark whilst turning up for the big games that the Storm have been playing in year in, year out.

Bellemy is happy to pay him and that's all credit a player needs..
We will lead the kiwis to a world cup as well.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Brandon Smith is a larrikin, he even showed up slightly overweight to Bellamy's camp and loves his beers.

Something tells me that he'd be a bully 2.0 but much worse in our system.
Storm system/Bellamy probably the only thing keeping him in line. People forget he was sacked by the Cowboys for drinking related issues only to be signed back up six months later. I think there’s a good chance he would spiral out of control at our club.

Aman

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 9, 2016
Storm system/Bellamy probably the only thing keeping him in line. People forget he was sacked by the Cowboys for drinking related issues only to be signed back up six months later. I think there’s a good chance he would spiral out of control at our club.
100% bro

Reactions: Teeps4Shore

The Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 20, 2017
Auckland
I think after watching Melb vs Easts, its clear Harry Grant is the future dummy half for the Storm. Brandon Smith turned us down once before. But given hes going to be at best a bench small power forward/utility.

Does Gould get in the ear of Brandon Smith, play the kiwi card, his family is in NZ, $700k I think would be good value. We would get fast play the balls and a player fast out of the mark to steal those 10m and offload.

Perenara is a dud move. He will stay at the Hurricanes, nobody will pay what he thinks his "Haka" is worth.

Problem is, Easts are desperate for a 9 now as well.

On the Storm, our other Bro Jerohme Hughes, Im glad he turned us down, hes not good enough for what we would pay overs to get him. Hes "OK" but hes no X factor half.

So wondering given Grant is clearly who the Storm want starting at 9, can the Warriors, O'Sullivan and Gould have another crack at Brandon Smith? He wants to be the dummy half in a team, similar to what happened with Kodi at Broncos, except Brandon is actually really good, not a $400k overs mistake.
A family member of Cheese I was chatting with recently said the family are preparing to move to Australia.

Reactions: fizurg

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
I would target him all day brother

halfbacks in rugby don’t make text book 1:1 tackles. They’re more like half tackles to slow momentum for their forwards to come in for the ruck or maul...

Target him all day

all day......!
These days they do a lot more, they act as a sort of sweeper behind the line for cover tackles for line breaks and see plenty of one on ones

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
These days they do a lot more, they act as a sort of sweeper behind the line for cover tackles for line breaks and see plenty of one on ones

True, but that’s s also true of open side flankers. To come in usually as the second or third tackle in a ruck or maul before support arrives. Halfbacks need to stay out of it as much as possible. Especially on set plays.Having said that they do clean up in a lot of second/ third phase attacks when the defensive line isn’t set. It would be interesting to compare how many tackles a #9 makes in a game vs #9 in our game.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
I would target him all day brother

halfbacks in rugby don’t make text book 1:1 tackles. They’re more like half tackles to slow momentum for their forwards to come in for the ruck or maul...

Target him all day

all day......!
There are a lot of bigger halfbacks in Super Rugby that act as a fourth loose forward. Not as skilled as an Aaron Smith, but take on bigger defensive workload. Kerr-Barlow was a prime example. Jimmy Cowan before him. Similar mould would be Jonathan Ruru, could be worth a backup spot.

Rizzah

Stop Being Shit
Contributor
Apr 18, 2012
Dunedin, NZ
There are a lot of bigger halfbacks in Super Rugby that act as a fourth loose forward. Not as skilled as an Aaron Smith, but take on bigger defensive workload. Kerr-Barlow was a prime example. Jimmy Cowan before him. Similar mould would be Jonathan Ruru, could be worth a backup spot.
It's crazy how few tackles union halfbacks make. Looking at the last full Super comp stats (NZ, AU, SA, Arg) the highest average tackle count was 6.8 per game (Aaron Smith's was 2)

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Just read an article saying Bunty is going to be offered a new contract. Happy for him since he decided to stay and fight for his spot. The article says how it really knocked him around being told he can leave and has fielded offers from other teams so it’s not a full blown conclusion he will stay.

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
Just read an article saying Bunty is going to be offered a new contract. Happy for him since he decided to stay and fight for his spot. The article says how it really knocked him around being told he can leave and has fielded offers from other teams so it’s not a full blown conclusion he will stay.
Yea fantastic to see a player believe he can lift and earn his spot. He has definitely done that

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
I’m not putting Bunty in this category and feel hes a fairly consistent performer but its noticeable how many players lift in their year of their contract running out. I think shorter contracts seem smart but you run the risk of player poaching. I wonder how much of an impact this had on Fusitua after a long extension and to a degree Katoa this year.

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 12, 2012
Hamilton, New Zealand
I’m not putting Bunty in this category and feel hes a fairly consistent performer but its noticeable how many players lift in their year of their contract running out. I think shorter contracts seem smart but you run the risk of player poaching. I wonder how much of an impact this had on Fusitua after a long extension and to a degree Katoa this year.
My thoughts on those three would be

Bunty: He's just going on this what he was doing before supercoach Kearney decided he was a terrible player. He was killing it in a bad pack for a long time prior to his SK run in and injury. I think this is just how he plays. REALLY hope we can keep him or he'll be iPapi 2.0

Fusitua: Honestly just a fucking lazy player. Been exposed horribly without SJ to feed him easy tries. At this point, seeing the complete lack of effort, I am starting to doubt his sincerity in wanting to go home be close to his family last year. Spicy hot take I know, but yeah. He's not exactly come out firing this year with a point to prove.

Katoa: He came in so hot last year that it's easy to remember how raw he is. I think it's a bit of second year syndrome and potentially he was being marked more closely. Also. Fucking Brown has started Curran and Evans this week. Tells me about all I care to know about his selections.

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Last Game

09 May

32 - 38
4.9 Total Avg Rating
6.8 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 15 ratings