Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Perenara is 30 now and has never played league as far as I know. Excellent rugby player but it would take him at least a season or two to adjust. The Rooster might be able to low ball him but there’s no way that we would get him without flicking good coin at him.

At the Warriors we just need to work on our development really, Laumape is a massive case in point there.
Played league as a teenager as well as union. He was offered a contract by the Storm.

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
I think after watching Melb vs Easts, its clear Harry Grant is the future dummy half for the Storm. Brandon Smith turned us down once before. But given hes going to be at best a bench small power forward/utility.

Does Gould get in the ear of Brandon Smith, play the kiwi card, his family is in NZ, $700k I think would be good value. We would get fast play the balls and a player fast out of the mark to steal those 10m and offload.

Perenara is a dud move. He will stay at the Hurricanes, nobody will pay what he thinks his "Haka" is worth.

Problem is, Easts are desperate for a 9 now as well.

On the Storm, our other Bro Jerohme Hughes, Im glad he turned us down, hes not good enough for what we would pay overs to get him. Hes "OK" but hes no X factor half.

So wondering given Grant is clearly who the Storm want starting at 9, can the Warriors, O'Sullivan and Gould have another crack at Brandon Smith? He wants to be the dummy half in a team, similar to what happened with Kodi at Broncos, except Brandon is actually really good, not a $400k overs mistake.

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
I think after watching Melb vs Easts, its clear Harry Grant is the future dummy half for the Storm. Brandon Smith turned us down once before. But given hes going to be at best a bench small power forward/utility.

Does Gould get in the ear of Brandon Smith, play the kiwi card, his family is in NZ, $700k I think would be good value. We would get fast play the balls and a player fast out of the mark to steal those 10m and offload.

Perenara is a dud move. He will stay at the Hurricanes, nobody will pay what he thinks his "Haka" is worth.

On the Storm, our other Bro Jerohme Hughes, Im glad he turned us down, hes not good enough for what we would pay overs to get him. Hes "OK" but hes no X factor half.

So wondering given Grant is clearly who the Storm want starting at 9, can the Warriors, O'Sullivan and Gould have another crack at Brandon Smith? He wants to be the dummy half in a team, similar to what happened with Kodi at Broncos, except Brandon is actually really good, not a $400k overs mistake.
I'm not 100% sold on Smith as a highly priced 9. Can definitely see his value in how he is being played now. Although there is a real hooker shortage do the decent ones are going to make it mint

wellyboy

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 1, 2015

I agree in everything you said. Jahrome has'nt jumped out of my tv screen this year so im glad he turned down our 800k offer. I was'nt keen on cheese but every week watching egan makes me want him to sign with us, even for 800k.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
One other aspect about Jahrome etc or anyone out of the Storm: It's often said that a player doesn't thrive outside of the Storm's systems. How much of that is actually down to the player themselves? ie They're basically average players outside of one very rigid system and can't or won't adapt.

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Auckland
One other aspect about Jahrome etc or anyone out of the Storm: It's often said that a player doesn't thrive outside of the Storm's systems. How much of that is actually down to the player themselves? ie They're basically average players outside of one very rigid system and can't or won't adapt.
Pfftt. He has adapted well from competing against Scott Drinkwater and Nico Hynes for the Fullback position then switching and adapting to halfback and competing with Brodie Croft.
Every post he's made a his mark whilst turning up for the big games that the Storm have been playing in year in, year out.

Bellemy is happy to pay him and that's all credit a player needs..

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
It's often said that a player doesn't thrive outside of the Storm's systems. How much of that is actually down to the player themselves?
Ive listened to a few of the guys who have started with the storm, played other teams, and come back to the storm, ie harry grant, and whilst a very small sample as its rare, all of them when asked what is the difference, cannot say or pin point anything. Personally I think the Storm is simply a self driven force, like a hydro dam lol.

You have a top Coach, top supporting staff, top everything. Then you have extremely well scouted and retained players who are given 1 on 1 coaching as to where they fit in and what they are to do and what they need to improve on. Those are all things the Warriors do not have. We do not have a top coach let alone CEO even ;-p

So it looks like Roosters are very interested in Perenera, even though Perenera has been selling Wellington and NZRU that hes sooooo looking forward to Rugby. Typical player lack of transparency in modern sport, cant blame him though. Its his agent when they say, "talking with him" etc https://www.msn.com/en-nz/sport/rug...black/ar-BB1fJbZo?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBqdg4K

So that will play out well for the Warriors, if they are sharp enough to see the Cheese's dreams are being blocked again. Hes waited so long for Cam Smith to retire, now some guy who left the club is back and is on fire, basically pushing the Cheese to the bench sooner than later.

I don't think $700k is close to paying top dollar for Brandon Smith, I think the best 9 would be worth $1.2ish, I think Brandon has shown he is one of the best 9s going around. Its just Grant is 10% better. Its Grants go forward from Dummy half and Papenhausen following him that is what is creating such a force. But ive said we need Walsh to be backing up every known offloader/line breaker running the ball up and to watch Papenhausen if you want to know what I mean by that. Its simple stuff, he just jogs up with the lead runner, even if they 20m away, although if its Grant etc he is running up inside him, and he retreats if nothing comes of it. Its such a basic of any good Rugby League Team, I dont know how the Warriors have lost it.

Anyway, the Cheese is playing the Warriors in 2 games time, I think perfect time for the boys and coach etc to start buttering him up.

The Warriors need a 5/8th and a 9. They have about $2m I think if they release Kodi. That is plenty to get both. But I still think both Turner should be given a chance on the wing for a change to having a smaller faster wing and Hayze a chance at 5/8th which is where he excels, hes a waste of talent in the centres.

I also think play Kodi off the bench and share the role with Egan at 9. Lets see if Kodi can excel better at a less pressure and more direct role, which is his caper, hes fast off the mark and he should have a passing game to clear the deck quick. If so, lets get Kodi running the dummy half and Walsh following him up the middle ala the Storm. Then we have $1.3m or so for a 5/8th or if Perham works out good, possibly a top tier wing, although I think Turner will go well with the speed and Im keen to keep a big Winger, for the kick returns but also for impact in the corner.

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
ROOSTERS CUT-PRICE DEAL FOR ALL BLACKS STAR

The Roosters are set to offer a cut-price deal of about $130,000 to All Blacks star TJ Perenara for the remainder of the NRL season.

The Sydney Morning Herald reported sources with knowledge of negotiations understand the Roosters will table a one-year deal, worth about $130,000 to help the club through a hooker crisis.

The New Zealand World Cup winning halfback is currently on a sabbatical with Japanese side Red Hurricanes.

The Roosters are keen to help fill the void left by the retirement of Jake Friend and injuries to hooker options Sam Verrills, Freddy Lussick, Adam Keighran and Lachlan Lam.

However the Japanese Top League season does not finish until May 23 and while Perenara’s Hurricanes have qualified for the play-offs, it is unlikely they will make the final.

Complicating matters Perenara would likely have to quarantine in Australia, meaning the earliest he could be available for selection would be Round 14 against the Titans.

Perenara has played 69 Tests for New Zealand since his debut in 2014.

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
Are we actually allowed to have a thread on the Club itself and its key roles and who should be shopped around etc?

They do this with the EPL, I dont see why we should be any different.

It is blindingly obvious one of the big things holding this club back from reaching and retaining success, is the club Staff and the Culture. Obviously we would need some comments from those in the know on the finer points.

But given the talent the club produces, I think the major gap is in providing similar cultures to successful Australian clubs, from grass roots all the way through juniors to first grade. Like Mr Frank on here was saying not long back, the difference between Aus professionalism at early stages and ours is light years apart. That is not backing NZRL, its simply pointing out why we struggle to succeed, its never been through a lack of talent, its how the talent is processed, mentored, and coached along with culture of expectation to be consistent, rather than doing a Kodi and producing a miraculous game a few times a year and forgetting that he needs to improve on so many basics as a 5/8th, which is what we paid overs for. Is that all Kodi's fault? Or is that on us for not providing the culture that breeds success? Its one thing saying we are results oriented and anyone who doesn't succeed is dumped, but you can only dump every player before you start making people not want to play for the team. Just a thought.

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
ROOSTERS CUT-PRICE DEAL FOR ALL BLACKS STAR

The Roosters are set to offer a cut-price deal of about $130,000 to All Blacks star TJ Perenara for the remainder of the NRL season.
Im thinking he will stay with Rugby for $130k ;-p

Yes looks like deal is close to done. Good luck to him, personally I say thank F the Warriors didnt sign him. He is an arrogant hypocritical little up start. I think the ABs Haka has gone to his head. Another over priced bench warmer.

Its all about timing, Warriors missed out on some good 5/8ths by just a couple of months, but may pickup a quality League 9 due to timing.

Last edited:

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
10 rounds for $130k, for a guy who hasn't played for 12+ years? Sounds like a marketing ploy to me. Especially with Verrills back before then. Like a worse version of Sonny Bills deal last year. If they were serious he would be signed for 2 seasons so he can actually develop.

I think Brandon Smith is a better lock than hooker these days, after seeing him play 9 this season. He's like the better version of Jazz Tevaga, with similar brain explosions. Not that he would come here/we want him here, but I don't think he would be what we need at 9.

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
but I don't think he would be what we need at 9.
I know what your saying, he makes a great small power forward.

But hes a hell of a dummy half too, I think is a bit unfair saying he isnt. He is very fast out of the blocks and is consistently eating 10 metres before the other team blinks and offloads to a support player (similar to Grant), he clears the ball fast and has a good passing game, he is often involved in offensive set plays, and lastly he scores a fair few tries out of dummy.

Those are all things Luke provided, that we are missing. Im not actually sure what Egans main strength is, he is equally "Ok" at everything, not good at anything and definitely not great at anything.

Only thing Ive not seen from Brandon is a kicking game, which Ideally all teams want from the 9, to take pressure off the halves. In saying that I think Walsh can kick too......

Also Brandon is the NZ hooker so he should have synergy with the "Bros".

In saying all that, Id still REALLY like to see Kodi play 9, even if just a few games, to get a feel for if he can provide all of the above plus his one good kick is his punt. Would be smart for the brains trust to try him out at 9 before they buy another hooker/sign him another year (until they can find a 5/8th and hooker). If he acts all cut up when he is shopped around like he was with the Broncos I wont be surprised. He simply hasnt delivered or improved on consistency and his kicking game. You would hope his agent would be telling him what time it is not feeding him full of hope. A team doesnt offer a 1 year extension if they looking to retain you, obviously.

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
With or without heels?

My eyes dont lie. No way Kodi is 5’9

He’s probably 5’5 tops
Id have gone 5ft1 max myself haha, he just look soooo little. But no way he is close to 6ft let alone 5ft9,

Perhaps hes inflating his height in his mind, like he does his ball playing skills. oh ouch sizzzzzle, sorry Kodi, love ya xx

Uster101

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2020
Ive listened to a few of the guys who have started with the storm, played other teams, and come back to the storm, ie harry grant, and whilst a very small sample as its rare, all of them when asked what is the difference, cannot say or pin point anything. Personally I think the Storm is simply a self driven force, like a hydro dam lol.

You have a top Coach, top supporting staff, top everything. Then you have extremely well scouted and retained players who are given 1 on 1 coaching as to where they fit in and what they are to do and what they need to improve on. Those are all things the Warriors do not have. We do not have a top coach let alone CEO even ;-p

So it looks like Roosters are very interested in Perenera, even though Perenera has been selling Wellington and NZRU that hes sooooo looking forward to Rugby. Typical player lack of transparency in modern sport, cant blame him though. Its his agent when they say, "talking with him" etc https://www.msn.com/en-nz/sport/rug...black/ar-BB1fJbZo?ocid=mailsignout&li=BBqdg4K

So that will play out well for the Warriors, if they are sharp enough to see the Cheese's dreams are being blocked again. Hes waited so long for Cam Smith to retire, now some guy who left the club is back and is on fire, basically pushing the Cheese to the bench sooner than later.

I don't think $700k is close to paying top dollar for Brandon Smith, I think the best 9 would be worth $1.2ish, I think Brandon has shown he is one of the best 9s going around. Its just Grant is 10% better. Its Grants go forward from Dummy half and Papenhausen following him that is what is creating such a force. But ive said we need Walsh to be backing up every known offloader/line breaker running the ball up and to watch Papenhausen if you want to know what I mean by that. Its simple stuff, he just jogs up with the lead runner, even if they 20m away, although if its Grant etc he is running up inside him, and he retreats if nothing comes of it. Its such a basic of any good Rugby League Team, I dont know how the Warriors have lost it.

Anyway, the Cheese is playing the Warriors in 2 games time, I think perfect time for the boys and coach etc to start buttering him up.

The Warriors need a 5/8th and a 9. They have about $2m I think if they release Kodi. That is plenty to get both. But I still think both Turner should be given a chance on the wing for a change to having a smaller faster wing and Hayze a chance at 5/8th which is where he excels, hes a waste of talent in the centres.

I also think play Kodi off the bench and share the role with Egan at 9. Lets see if Kodi can excel better at a less pressure and more direct role, which is his caper, hes fast off the mark and he should have a passing game to clear the deck quick. If so, lets get Kodi running the dummy half and Walsh following him up the middle ala the Storm. Then we have $1.3m or so for a 5/8th or if Perham works out good, possibly a top tier wing, although I think Turner will go well with the speed and Im keen to keep a big Winger, for the kick returns but also for impact in the corner.
Ok so the Warriors are playing the storm in a couple of weeks? The storm will beat us by 50 points so that will just make The cheese think I don;t want to play for this lot, if the Warriors are interested in him :)

• Sad
Reactions: diehard

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 4, 2016
Ok so the Warriors are playing the storm in a couple of weeks? The storm will beat us by 50 points so that will just make The cheese think I don;t want to play for this lot, if the Warriors are interested in him :)
We will see if Brown does anything about these "offense, players out of position" and potentially make vital changes to the spine.

But I think Brandon will by then have started to see ground hog day. He could stay a bench warmer for a great team if he chooses, but depends whats more important to him, his career, or a ring.

Add to that, the Warriors are clearly looking for a 5/8th, all that is missing given how many metres the forwards are making even without the star signings is a 9.

Of course like most people who have lived in Aus, he may well prefer to stay there regardless of what club, right now Rooster could sign him, but looks like Perenara has got that interim gig.

defensivebomb

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 29, 2018
I am always a bit offended when NZ rugby players, particularly high-profile ones like the All Blacks, indicate they are open to playing league, but don't want to play for the Warriors. Or even that the All Blacks were entertaining an exhibition match with the Kangaroos.

Where is the national pride from these guys? Or humility to think they would be lucky to even get on the field with any NRL side?

If TJ only wants to play for the Roosters, I am actually glad they lowballed him back

wellyboy

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Jun 1, 2015
I am always a bit offended when NZ rugby players, particularly high-profile ones like the All Blacks, indicate they are open to playing league, but don't want to play for the Warriors. Or even that the All Blacks were entertaining an exhibition match with the Kangaroos.

Where is the national pride from these guys? Or humility to think they would be lucky to even get on the field with any NRL side?

If TJ only wants to play for the Roosters, I am actually glad they lowballed him back
Who would want to play for a losing team and players that dont play for the jersey and put on shit piss poor performances. Every week, every year.

Reactions: 3rdstriker
This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Last Game

09 May

32 - 38
4.9 Total Avg Rating
6.8 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 15 ratings