Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

SouthernWorrier

Warriors Bench Player
Aug 4, 2020
508858fus.jpg
... to be fair to SK, he signed this guy - Fusitua was one of the best finishers in the game when he was signed for 5 years and I was rapt with the decision at the time.

Trying to bulk him up and play him in the Centres tho was like trying to make Richie McCaw a hooker IMO....

While I'm having a bleat, I've started a new drinking game: take a shot every time one of our wingers breaks out a fend.

4 rounds in any I'm getting pretty thirsty! If there were ever a couple of lads that should have the 'don't argue' down pat it's our lads.

Maybe they've been threatened with demotion if they don't keep 2 hands on the ball at all times. The one handed carries always used to be heart in the mouth stuff 😉

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
View attachment 44048
... to be fair to SK, he signed this guy - Fusitua was one of the best finishers in the game when he was signed for 5 years and I was rapt with the decision at the time.

Trying to bulk him up and play him in the Centres tho was like trying to make Richie McCaw a hooker IMO....

While I'm having a bleat, I've started a new drinking game: take a shot every time one of our wingers breaks out a fend.

4 rounds in any I'm getting pretty thirsty! If there were ever a couple of lads that should have the 'don't argue' down pat it's our lads.

Maybe they've been threatened with demotion if they don't keep 2 hands on the ball at all times. The one handed carries always used to be heart in the mouth stuff 😉
Been thinking the same thing.. do our wingers know what a step or fend is? Or know how to look for gaps or have they been told that their sole job is catch the bomb on the fifth and run straight or take the next hit up. Really worrying that there isnt any confidence in their abilities. Hate seeing them happy enough to just take the ball dead in goal instead of trying to get out of the in goal! If the case is that theyve been told to do that then what is the point in recruiting any wingers

PullinTeeth

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 11, 2017
There were a couple of good kicks to Fusitua in the Raiders game, but he was out jumped by Rapana. He’s just not a great athlete anymore and we have him for another three seasons.

If there was a recruitment decision that summed up the Kearney era this would be it.
Even on defensive bombs he got bullied by Rapana in the air.
With the new random, " you can jump into the opposition winger in the air and take him out while pretending to catch the ball" rulings, Fusitua offers nothing try scoring wise.

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Been thinking the same thing.. do our wingers know what a step or fend is? Or know how to look for gaps or have they been told that their sole job is catch the bomb on the fifth and run straight or take the next hit up. Really worrying that there isnt any confidence in their abilities. Hate seeing them happy enough to just take the ball dead in goal instead of trying to get out of the in goal! If the case is that theyve been told to do that then what is the point in recruiting any wingers

I feel we've had this conversation about our two prop wingers before. We're back to square one again.

I'm sorry to say it, but they're just low IQ footballers...

ramps

1st Grade Fringe
May 2, 2013
Rarotonga, Cook Islands
I feel we've had this conversation about our two prop wingers before. We're back to square one again.

yup seems the case.. but how really low can you get? i mean they live, eat and breathe rugby league every single day. surely you learn something by being around other professional athletes and coaches.. something still telling me that is what theyve been told to do

Reactions: BeastMode

Pricey

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 2, 2016
In regards to our Wingers, it's a shame to see how they are playing maybe they lost some muscle memory from nearly a year out due to returing to NZ last season. However, I still wish Setu Tu had been given a run in first grade he looked promising.

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014

I wouldn’t say they are low IQ footballers, Maumalo in particular has done far better than I thought he’d do, but he has limitations you’d expect of a 2nd rower who has been converted to the wing.

Fusitua just shouldn’t have been given a four year contract considering his lack of speed and 25 is almost Middle Aged by wing standards. Pretty much all the great All Black wings were done by 27.

Billy Teets James

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 12, 2016
Perth, Australia
You guys forget, wingers are there to finish try’s. Our halves and centres are creating F all opportunities for them + coach is more interested in scoring up the middle
Bro, Fucking spot on. I've been saying this for a few years now. We could have Addo-Carr on the wing. And by now everyone will be saying get rid of the useless cu*t he can't score tries.

Because our halves & centers are useless at setting up our wings!!
Apart from Hiku, Who has beautiful hands. When SJ left our wingers turned into nothing else but extra props.

Each time we swapped Hiku over whatever side. His wing partner scored tries. And became winger of the year!!!??

When Hiku was doing this he had SJ as the link. As much as some hated SJ and still do. His kicks to the wings were perfect. His cut out passes, His quick feet to create space. The fear of SJ stepping them to score opened up so many gaps and allowed Hiku to do his thing and the benefactors were our trucks on the wings. They were once upon a time the 2 best wingers in the game.

Take away SJ, And to a lesser extent Bully(Who was great at opening up teams from dummy half)
We were left with Hiku? A mediocre Green. CHT can't do what SJ does. Roger is a running stepping freak. But he's no SJ.

It starts from the middle. Then working our way out to our wides. Not from the outsides , In.

We don't have the skill or nous to be able to utilise our 2 big fullas on the wing.

Now they've lost all confidence and they look defeated to me.

Get called all the names under the sun but still put in work. More often than not lead our metres gained.

They do look shit lately. Defensive issues galore.

"We nEeD FaStER WiNgS"
Why not faster more skillful centers? 😂

What about proper halves who can kick & pass & orginize our team ???

Can't always lay the blame on our humble work horses out on the wings.

john nick

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 28, 2020
tauranga
Bro, Fucking spot on. I've been saying this for a few years now. We could have Addo-Carr on the wing. And by now everyone will be saying get rid of the useless cu*t he can't score tries.

Apart from Hiku, Who has beautiful hands. When SJ left our wingers turned into nothing else but extra props.

Each time we swapped Hiku over whatever side. His wing partner scored tries. And became winger of the year!!!??

When Hiku was doing this he had SJ as the link. As much as some hated SJ and still do. His kicks to the wings were perfect. His cut out passes, His quick feet to create space. The fear of SJ stepping them to score opened up so many gaps and allowed Hiku to do his thing and the benefactors were our trucks on the wings. They were once upon a time the 2 best wingers in the game.

Take away SJ, And to a lesser extent Bully(Who was great at opening up teams from dummy half)
We were left with Hiku? A mediocre Green. CHT can't do what SJ does. Roger is a running stepping freak. But he's no SJ.

It starts from the middle. Then working our way out to our wides. Not from the outsides , In.

We don't have the skill or nous to be able to utilise our 2 big fullas on the wing.

Get called all the names under the sun but still put in work. More often than not lead our metres gained.

"We nEeD FaStER WiNgS"

Sorry to ask but are you the Gold Coast Billy T 😉

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
You guys forget, wingers are there to finish try’s. Our halves and centres are creating F all opportunities for them + coach is more interested in scoring up the middle than exploring space out wide.

There are creators and finishers in the game. Halves and centres are supposed to create. Wings and FB’s finish.

Ken+Fusitua are the best finishers in the game but they’re wasting away.

RTS, another fantastic finisher but even he needs create opportunities for himself.

Our only regular creator in the backs was Hiku. Our halves are still trying to figure it out. It’s a problem.
Honestly I’m not concerned by their finishing, 10 meters out with a run to the line they can be up there with the best.

Take your point about the creation of opportunities also, the issue I have is with the game opening up line breaks are occurring with more frequency further out and often from within the attacking sides own half, even IF we had the creative players on the inside we don’t have wingers capable of exploiting those opportunities fully. Then there are the defensive efforts which I won’t go into.

I don’t want to sound like I‘m hammering Fusitua and Ken because they have had some very good seasons over the years for us, just think they’re being found out a bit with the game getting quicker and more free flowing, characteristics like speed and elusiveness are at more of a premium than ever before.

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013

"We nEeD FaStER WiNgS"

It's sad such an obvious thing took such a big explanation. I think the speed thing however is a team issue and as with most teams speed comes from their wingers so we want the same

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Mar 7, 2015
Honestly I’m not concerned by their finishing, 10 meters out with a run to the line they can be up there with the best.

Take your point about the creation of opportunities also, the issue I have is with the game opening up line breaks are occurring with more frequency further out and often from within the attacking sides own half, even IF we had the creative players on the inside we don’t have wingers capable of exploiting those opportunities fully. Then there are the defensive efforts which I won’t go into.

I don’t want to sound like I‘m hammering Fusitua and Ken because they have had some very good seasons over the years for us, just think they’re being found out a bit with the game getting quicker and more free flowing, characteristics like speed and elusiveness are at more of a premium than ever before.

Yeah, you're right about speed.

We need genuine speed that can take advantage of the multiple six again plays, especially around tiring forwards.

This is why I am not a fan of Egan. He doesnt have electric bursts of speed to break the line around retreating forwards.

And if we flicked the ball out wide, quickly to the wing, theres little chance Ken or Fusitua will break the line for a runaway try.

Its really just a bash and barge team we have right now.

POS and management should be able to see these obvious flaws.... he's fixed our pack.... I'm am confident we will have a different backline next season with more variety.. starting at FB with that young gun Reese Walsh.... and a full fit and healthy Aitken.. theres alot to be hopeful for...i have faith he can deliver...

Reactions: RiceOwl and 6Again

Billy Teets James

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 12, 2016
Perth, Australia
It's sad such an obvious thing took such a big explanation. I think the speed thing however is a team issue and as with most teams speed comes from their wingers so we want the same
I don't know how to say what I want to say & keep things brief lol.
You're right. We need speed. We are slow all over the park.
But blaming the wingers week in week out is cop out. We have deeper issues.

Mr Frank White

Warriors 1st Grader
May 19, 2012

"We nEeD FaStER WiNgS"

Anyone remember the Denan Kemp saga?!?

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 10, 2014
I don't know how to say what I want to say & keep things brief lol.
You're right. We need speed. We are slow all over the park.
But blaming the wingers week in week out is cop out. We have deeper issues.

I’d like to think being the equal minded people we all are on the forum, the blame gets spread pretty evenly between the wings, spine, centres and coaches game plan at the moment.

Fusitua is a concern of mine because he’s pretty close to the best paid wing in the competition at 500k a season. That’s a fair bit of money that POS could use to find either a centre or winger that’s locked away for potentially the next three seasons.

bangbros18

1st Grade Fringe
May 20, 2019
I’d like to think being the equal minded people we all are on the forum, the blame gets spread pretty evenly between the wings, spine, centres and coaches game plan at the moment.

Fusitua is a concern of mine because he’s pretty close to the best paid wing in the competition at 500k a season. That’s a fair bit of money that POS could use to find either a centre or winger that’s locked away for potentially the next three seasons.
I actually think he's on more then 500k ? I thought it was 600k?

Reactions: diehard
This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Upcoming Match

St George Dragons Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Sydney

Last Game

09 Apr

12 - 13
5.0 Total Avg Rating
4.6 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 22 ratings