Recruitment 2021 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Suggesting CHT can develop into a Luai type is a big step. However unless he can get close to that then it’s him that will require the strong kicking game.
It's not really that big of a step if you think about it. What does Luai excel in? Taking the ball to the line and drawing out defenders with plays right before the line. This is one thing that has directly translated for CHT. He is exceptional at decision making at the line. Having a half who can absorb contact at the line and isn't afraid of taking it to the line opens up options outside.

Chuck Nathan Cleary next to CHT who can hide the flaws in his kicking game (as he has done for Luai who is just as average at kicking as CHT) and I guarantee CHT would be talked about in same light as Luai as an upcoming half in the game

What does Luai have that CHT doesnt in terms of skillset or physical attributes?

This chat about not having elite speed... There's probably only a handful of halves who can actually break the game open with the their speed anyway. Even less now with SJ broken down.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Perhaps, however that can’t be anything more than opinion until he’s put amongst average players to test the theory. I have the same type of view on Cronk who I think was a very structured half with a limited ceiling who, while perfectly complementing the likes of Slater, Smith, Teddy, Thurston etc, would have been nothing special in a team where he wasn’t surrounded by future immortals. Unfortunately Cronk never played in anything but a superstar team so my opinion can’t be proven right or wrong.

Personally, I think Luai is a gun & if CHT can develop into something even close to that then I’ll be happy. I doubt it however.
While Cronk did have a ceiling, he knew his strengths and weaknesses and played to his strengths. He’s the sort of player that any team can play good around because his game management is superior.

In a lessor team he won’t win the game but he will keep you competitive and put you in a position to win every time. It’s not luck that every team he played in was dominant (Storm, Roosters, Queensland, Australia). It’s the superior platform he lays for others to excel.

That’s what the Warriors have lacked for so long. The solid platform delivered from a game manager. Instead we love the flamboyant guys that directly score or set up tries. CHT has the attributes to master this but it takes years of experience. Reynolds would be my pick even on older legs of those available.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
CHT has the attributes to master this but it takes years of experience. Reynolds would be my pick even on older legs of those available.
Reynolds would honestly be perfect for CHT. Unfortunately, he'll be chasing that final big contract and I don't its worth us risking future cap flexibility for.

I feel like come the last couple of years of the contract he'll be more like Blake Green than anything.

Reactions: Worried2Death

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
That’s what the Warriors have lacked for so long. The solid platform delivered from a game manager. Instead we love the flamboyant guys that directly score or set up tries.
You still need the blokes that score & set up tries as well. I guess we relied on that from SJ previously & now Nikorima. It’s becoming more typical for that to come from fullbacks, so hopefully that’s something the Warriors can rectify with the next fullback we recruit (seemingly
more likely) or develop.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
You still need the blokes that score & set up tries as well. I guess we relied on that from SJ previously & now Nikorima. It’s becoming more typical for that to come from fullbacks, so hopefully that’s something the Warriors can rectify with the next fullback we recruit (seemingly
more likely) or develop.
Your game manager can also sets up tries through repeat sets; guys running onto grubbers; pin point bombs on the goal line; running set plays, etc, etc. the stuff our side has struggled with since Maloney left. Kearney tries to play super structured without the key part - a top level organiser.

Your whole spine sets up plays and the 6 should be the more creative one anyway. Then with our beast pack, they can always just smash through the front door without even setting up any moves!

Barty

U20's Player
Sep 29, 2020
CHT is key player this season. We will be competitive in many games with our roster thus making goal kicking a key. CHT defence is excellent, and his game management is improving - he is young and learning!! Given our current salary cap spend on play makers KN $500k?? CHT $250K?? PT $100k?? Sean O$100k?? Must be one of the lowest spend across all clubs!! A lot of clubs spend more than that on one play maker. CHT and Eli Katoa are two players to build this club on for the next 6-8 years.

Uster101

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2020
CHT is key player this season. We will be competitive in many games with our roster thus making goal kicking a key. CHT defence is excellent, and his game management is improving - he is young and learning!! Given our current salary cap spend on play makers KN $500k?? CHT $250K?? PT $100k?? Sean O$100k?? Must be one of the lowest spend across all clubs!! A lot of clubs spend more than that on one play maker. CHT and Eli Katoa are two players to build this club on for the next 6-8 years.
Cannot see us making the top 8 with those playmakers. Yes we have got a good forward pack now, but we are lacking playmakers with the ability to control a game. We really need to buy a good fullback for next season and a playmaker for next season is a must. Kodi may be there next season but if he is not then 2022 will be another disaster. Hughes never signed because we wanted him for fullback but he wants to play in the halfs. We should have gone harder for him as a halfback not a fullback. If we went for him as a Halfback then we might have got him. No idea what the Warriors plans are for next season and beyond now as they seems to have gone hard for Hughes and forgotten about the others linked to the Warriors. Dufty, Manu etc. Hopefully we hear more very soon before we miss out on everyone altogether.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Being reported we have 30 players in our squad and are one of the teams at a disadvantage since the June 30 signing deadline has been pushed out to August 1. They worried about the potential of signing a player for the finals and other scenarios. Sounds like a rule made for Cameron smith.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Add to that, Egan is relatively cheap as well within the spine and RTS strength isn’t really as a playmaker.

Reactions: Worried2Death

Kestrel84

Rippin' and a Tearin'
Contributor
Aug 26, 2017
Auckland
Being reported we have 30 players in our squad and are one of the teams at a disadvantage since the June 30 signing deadline has been pushed out to August 1. They worried about the potential of signing a player for the finals and other scenarios. Sounds like a rule made for Cameron smith.
Sounds like Aussie media that don't pay attention to the Warriors and that Ratuva has been excluded from this season.

Bad reporting.

wellyboy

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 1, 2015
Cannot see us making the top 8 with those playmakers. Yes we have got a good forward pack now, but we are lacking playmakers with the ability to control a game. We really need to buy a good fullback for next season and a playmaker for next season is a must. Kodi may be there next season but if he is not then 2022 will be another disaster. Hughes never signed because we wanted him for fullback but he wants to play in the halfs. We should have gone harder for him as a halfback not a fullback. If we went for him as a Halfback then we might have got him. No idea what the Warriors plans are for next season and beyond now as they seems to have gone hard for Hughes and forgotten about the others linked to the Warriors. Dufty, Manu etc. Hopefully we hear more very soon before we miss out on everyone altogether.
Geez warriors wanted hughes to play fullback when his desire is to play 7? We shld've gave it to him as there are potential candidates off contract outside the club to play FB. Or just have our rookies fight for the FB position. Man the 2 positions are the warriors top priority for 2022 that needs addressing this year and hughes wld've ticked off the HB box. 🤦‍♂️

Tragic

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 27, 2016
Kumeu
Interested to know why your not optimistic about CHT developing?

Shares all the main strengths that allowed Jerome Luai to become a top end half last year (while being two years younger).

CHT is easily a 10 year first grader in my eyes. We just need a half with a strong kicking game to complement him.
Surely it's possible to develop a kicking game, I get that some are naturally better than others but practice enough and you get good. So I am hoping CHT develops the kicking game rather than we have to find someone who can kick. Best outcome is we get both.

The Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 20, 2017
Auckland
In my opinion we just need to be recruiting more no. 10s and no. 15s out of first XV rugby instead of going the best junior half in the NZRL system. They usually have a developed kicking game that translates better.

We have had the the pick of the bunch in terms of junior halves out of NZ rugby league. Ata Hingano, CHT, Paul Turner, Sione Moala (yes Paul Turner was considered a better prospect than Dylan Brown as 16 year olds).
None of them have really had to develop a kicking game because they were so dominant with the ball in hand running, passing etc.

We had Kaleb Trask (first five for the Chiefs) in our system for a while as a junior when we signed him out of Rotorua Boys First XV. He would've made a unreal NRL half because his kicking game was so refined already for a young guy.
Great insight.

Reactions: HoRneT041

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Official development contracts on nrl.com

Interesting that Vailea is on a three year deal, will probably get promoted to top 30 before that though.

At the moment, it’s Vailea, Kalepo, Glamuzina and Vagana.

Two spots left to fill which they will probably wait until the 30 June deadline which is when they have to be filled (same as their final top 30 spot).

Kosi and Otukolo are the only other two juniors that have been training full time with the first grade squad the whole preseason. So if nothing else comes along in the meantime, they will most likely be given those two spots on 30 June.

This thread is for Warriors RECRUITMENT DISCUSSION, POSSIBLE TARGETS, HOPEFUL SIGNINGS, RECRUITMENT STRATEGY and posts relating directly to that content.

ANY offtopic chatter will be DELETED. Repeat offenders will be locked from this thread.
Last edited:

Upcoming Match

Gold Coast Titans Central Coast Stadium

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings