General 2021 Warriors Preseason

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Some of the younger players I can spot in those photos Lleyton Finau, Kina Kepu, Taniela Otukolo, Jyris Glamuzina, Viliami Vailea, Kalepo, Vagana, Kosi (only one I can't ID is that massive bopper)

I personally don't see Jayden Nikorima cracking top 30 or a development contract. More likely to be a 2nd tier contact like Setu Tu and Preston Riki.

Just looking at how much Otukolo has grown. He literally towers over Jayden Nikorima in the photo standing next to each other. Looks like J Nikorima was training at hooker so Otukolo will be tough for him to get past especially with Kalepo already ahead of him with a development contract locked in.

Last edited:

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 4, 2016
Some of the younger players I can spot in those photos Lleyton Finau, Kina Kepu, Taniela Otukolo, Jyris Glamuzina, Viliami Vailea, Kalepo, Vagana, Kosi (only one I can't ID is that massive bopper)

I personally don't see Jayden Nikorima cracking top 30 or a development contract. More likely to be a 2nd tier contact like Setu Tu and Preston Riki.

Just looking at how much Otukolo has grown. He literally towers over Jayden Nikorima in the photo standing next to each other. Looks like J Nikorima was training at hooker so Otukolo will be tough for him to get past especially with Kalepo already ahead of him with a development contract locked in.
Which big bopper are you referring to?
Both the Kepu twins are there
Asi is there also.
I don’t think Jayden will be offered anything TBH. If he wasn’t Kodis brother he wouldn’t even been trailing. He was a flop with the roosters and hasn’t done anything since.

Do you know how the second tier contracts work? I can’t seem to find anything on them. If it hasn’t changed from 2016 then there is 6 second tier contracts I’m guessing?

jagz

NSW Cup Player
Sep 28, 2012

Young prospects on show​

Young players markedly outnumbered those with NRL experience in the opening week of the Vodafone Warriors’ preseason campaign.

On day one prop Bunty Afoa, coming back from knee surgery, and train-and-trial half Jayden Nikorima were the only NRL players on hand with wingers Ken Maumalo and David Fusitua joining them before the week was out.

Around them have been plenty of exciting prospects, most of whom have emerged from the Vodafone Warriors’ development system.
“There’s some terrific talent coming through and having the chance to train with the NRL squad,” said Vodafone Warriors recruitment manager Peter O’Sullivan.
“A lot of them have a big future in the game and they’ll benefit hugely from this exposure. It’s invaluable for their development.”
Among the group are middle forward Jyris Glamuzina, hooker Temple Kalepo, winger Edward Kosi and back rower Isaiah Vagana, who have all come through the club’s system playing at Jersey Flegg Cup under-20 level as well as having a brief taste of Canterbury Cup football.
Another player in the group is Preston Riki, the Sonny Fai Medal winner as the Vodafone Warriors’ 2018 Jersey Flegg player of the year.
Joining those five players are strapping outside backs Viliami Vailea (18) and Jeremiah Asi (17) who both made a huge impact in the Vodafone Warriors’ truncated S G Ball Cup under-18 campaign early this season. Both have excelled in Auckland’s First XV rugby union competition, Asi with St Peter’s College and Vailea with Aorere College. In his five S G Ball games this year, Asi scored three tries while Vailea had two in three games.
Also involved are other S G Ball products in 18-year-old middle forwards Leyton Finau and twins Vailingi and Otukinekina Kepu plus outstanding hooker Taniela Otukolo. Otukolo was among the competition’s best players before the season was stopped short, scoring a staggering nine tries in six games.
Two other players rated as ones to watch are Francis Manuleleua and Zyon Maiu’u. Both have combined rugby league with First XV rugby union, Manuleleua impressing as a big, athletic and skilful first five-eighth with the King's College First XV and powerful back rower Maiu’u with Kelston Boys’ High School.
https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2020/11/21/young-prospects-on-show/

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Asi is there also.
I don’t think Jayden will be offered anything TBH. If he wasn’t Kodis brother he wouldn’t even been trailing. He was a flop with the roosters and hasn’t done anything since.

Do you know how the second tier contracts work? I can’t seem to find anything on them. If it hasn’t changed from 2016 then there is 6 second tier contracts I’m guessing?
Ah yep its the other Kepu twin.

Yeah i couldn't spot Asi in any of those photos but sounds like he's there. Glad that they are getting him in the mix.

Not too sure on the second tier but 6 sounds about right. I know you can't play first grade on a second tier. We had to get special dispensation given the circumstances for King V to play first grade on a second tier contract.

I hope you're right regarding not giving J Nikorima an offer, I'm not personally a fan given the options we have.

Hopefully we are filling out our second tier with these promising youngsters that are out of school but we can't fit on development deals (i.e. Kepu twins, Lleyton Finau, Zyon Maiu’u etc.) to atleast get them some money to stay on with us. Would rather that than giving J Nikorima a shot.

Reactions: Rizzah

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
Next year's team list (mainly the foward pack) will be interesting next year. I feel like 2 of Jazz bunty or murch will spend most of the season in reserve grade

Reactions: Off The Bench

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Asi is there also.

I read somewhere that the deal with Redcliffe is that they’ll take 5/6 of our second tier contracted players and run them in Qld cup so I’d say that’s the number. Essentially it’s our Cup squad members.

mrblonde

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 14, 2012
Auckland
Certainly the Shortest Off-Season Ever. You can write that in ink, forget the pencil. And a contender for Busiest Warriors Signing Period Ever. If theory meets practice, 2021 is shaping up very nicely for the Warriors.

According to the NRL, the draw for 2021 will be released today. Which probably means it'll be sometime next week, if history is a guide.

Hopes for Warriors:
2 games against the Raiders, Panthers and Storm.
No Thursday games.
Not too many Friday 8PMNZT games.
No games against the big teams during Origin time. Takes the buzz out of beating the Storm etc when they're missing This Guy, That Guy, The Other Guy etc because they're in Origin camp.

In general:
No Blockbuster games (ie Storm v Panthers) during Origin with weakened teams on offer.
Storm v Panthers twice and at least not until Rd 6/7. Probably will be one of the Magic Round games, which IIRC is intended to be in Brisbane. Or was, before Covid hit.

Fear is we're not going to back at The Mount any time soon.

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2014
Certainly the Shortest Off-Season Ever. You can write that in ink, forget the pencil. And a contender for Busiest Warriors Signing Period Ever. If theory meets practice, 2021 is shaping up very nicely for the Warriors.

According to the NRL, the draw for 2021 will be released today. Which probably means it'll be sometime next week, if history is a guide.

Hopes for Warriors:
2 games against the Raiders, Panthers and Storm.
No Thursday games.
Not too many Friday 8PMNZT games.
No games against the big teams during Origin time. Takes the buzz out of beating the Storm etc when they're missing This Guy, That Guy, The Other Guy etc because they're in Origin camp.

In general:
No Blockbuster games (ie Storm v Panthers) during Origin with weakened teams on offer.
Storm v Panthers twice and at least not until Rd 6/7. Probably will be one of the Magic Round games, which IIRC is intended to be in Brisbane. Or was, before Covid hit.

Fear is we're not going to back at The Mount any time soon.
Ha, different opinion from here. I love Friday and Saturday night games so hoping for lots. Dislike Thursday for sure. Sunday ... meh, if we must.

ANZAC at home would be nice. No byes during origin would also be nice. Home game at Mt Smart to start would be a great start, but realistically, I'd rather get all away games out of the way in the first half, and hence spend the second half of the season entirely at home.

Magic round MUST be one of our away games.

Anything outside of Auckland should be one of our away games too.

Whatever happened to the 'all games in NZ for Warriors in 2021' was that just a dream of mine?

Vancent

It is what it is...
Contributor
Sep 10, 2012
BrisVegas
Ha, different opinion from here. I love Friday and Saturday night games so hoping for lots. Dislike Thursday for sure. Sunday ... meh, if we must.

ANZAC at home would be nice. No byes during origin would also be nice. Home game at Mt Smart to start would be a great start, but realistically, I'd rather get all away games out of the way in the first half, and hence spend the second half of the season entirely at home.

Magic round MUST be one of our away games.

Anything outside of Auckland should be one of our away games too.

Whatever happened to the 'all games in NZ for Warriors in 2021' was that just a dream of mine?
Was thinking the same thing about the all home games reference - maybe the Provan Summons medal wrapped up that sentiment sufficiently (which I can live with comfortably).

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings