General 2021 salary cap and recruitment - 4 key questions

Fonzie

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 22, 2018
Hi guys, my next podcast is going to look at the Warriors 2021 squad, salary cap and recruitment. I'd love to get the forums input on the 4 key questions that I think are the hardest to answer:

1. With Blake Green (and AK) off contract and probably gone, would you move Nikorima back into the halves with CHT? If not, would you sign a new first-grade half or take a punt on a young guy like Perham or Turner?

2. With Herbert off contract at end 2020, would you re-sign him, go to market for a right centre/wing, or promote from within? Is Hayze Perham suited to wing?

3. With emergence of Katoa and the signing of BMM for 2021, do we still need to sign a big money edge backrower?

4. With the signing of BMM and the emergence of JTB, do we still need to sign a big money middle forward? And if you think we still need both a middle and an edge forward, which is the priority?

thanks legends

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
1. Honestly I think our halves situation is a mess. Nikorima's defence is a liability and I'm not a fan of CTH. Turner is an interesting prospect, but Perham is not a half IMO.

AK probably won't be retained so yeah we need to buy someone.

2. Depends who's available versus what we have. Herbert I would re-sign for his utility value, but in my mind he's a depth Mr Fix it to replace Beale. I'd be looking at two new outside backs, probably purchased externally because who do we have internally?

Perham needs to move on for his own good. Been jerked around here too much moving from one position to the next.

3. Katoa/Harris makes me feel a lot better about our 2nd row, and probably eliminates the need to spend big money there.

4. Our pack still isn't great. We definitely need to shore up the middle. BMM, JTB, Paasi, Ah Mau, Bunty. All solid, but none of them are really dominant players.

If you look at all the top teams they have at least one forward who can dominate up front week in and week out. Haas, Bromwich, JWH/Taukeiaho, Taumalolo, Fifita, Taupau etc. We don't have that so if we're spending big money anywhere it's the middle of the field.

My personal shopping list/development priority going forward (aside from the obvious new coach).

1. Half
2. Middle forward
3. Winger
4. Centre

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Hi guys, my next podcast is going to look at the Warriors 2021 squad, salary cap and recruitment. I'd love to get the forums input on the 4 key questions that I think are the hardest to answer:

1. With Blake Green (and AK) off contract and probably gone, would you move Nikorima back into the halves with CHT? If not, would you sign a new first-grade half or take a punt on a young guy like Perham or Turner?

2. With Herbert off contract at end 2020, would you re-sign him, go to market for a right centre/wing, or promote from within? Is Hayze Perham suited to wing?

3. With emergence of Katoa and the signing of BMM for 2021, do we still need to sign a big money edge backrower?

4. With the signing of BMM and the emergence of JTB, do we still need to sign a big money middle forward? And if you think we still need both a middle and an edge forward, which is the priority?

thanks legends
1 - for balance we need an experienced half to partner CHT for another 2-3 years. Also we will have the money. It’s weather we can find a decent one that fits how we want to play

2 - resign as would be cheap, even if he’s only fringe first grade. I personally think we have 3 higher cost and experienced centre/ wingers in Fusitua, Maumalo and Hiku and the fourth person could be saved for internal talent

3 - Katoa and Harris are quality. At 13 we have a lot of lower quality options. I would spend money there as our forward priority

4 - We have BMM and Ah Mau on decent money. Bunty, Paasi and Burr as middles are cheaper. We have a fit for purpose prop rotation if we have quality edges.

my team:

1 - RTS
2 - Maumalo
3 - Hiku
4 - open spot - lower priority
5 - Fusitua (back where he belongs)

6 - CHT
7 - priority top dollar signing

8 - Au Mau
9 - open spot - Egan?
10 - Paasi
11 - Katoa
12 - Harris
13 - open spot - invest big dollars

14 - Nikorima
15 - JTB
16 - BMM
17 - Bunty

hopefully Blair doesn’t take up his option

Off The Bench

Warriors 1st Grader
Jan 26, 2014
RTS ,
Fusitua
?
Hiku
Ken
?
?
Paasi
Egan/ Roach/Lawton
Bunty
Katoa
Harris
BMM

CHT nearly ready Id have him covering 6/7 /9
From the bench just for one year
AhMau
JTB
Papalii

So one center, needed
A 6 an A 7
An probably one more edge forward
This group Is where I would invest heavily on
If quality players are not available for these positions
I would wait an promote from within .

AK , I'd keep .
Blair ,Green ,Beale , gone

Players I would target
SJ . Moses ,
Any player with the ability to put other players
Into a gap .So I'd by looking for players with a high
Try assist line break assist stats
In the halves both must be kickers .

playdaball

Heritage Member
Apr 23, 2012
Without sounding like a broken record, we’ll struggle to recruit any decent players under the current regime.

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
1. Honestly I think our halves situation is a mess. Nikorima's defence is a liability and I'm not a fan of CTH. Turner is an interesting prospect, but Perham is not a half IMO.

AK probably won't be retained so yeah we need to buy someone.

2. Depends who's available versus what we have. Herbert I would re-sign for his utility value, but in my mind he's a depth Mr Fix it to replace Beale. I'd be looking at two new outside backs, probably purchased externally because who do we have internally?

Perham needs to move on for his own good. Been jerked around here too much moving from one position to the next.

3. Katoa/Harris makes me feel a lot better about our 2nd row, and probably eliminates the need to spend big money there.

4. Our pack still isn't great. We definitely need to shore up the middle. BMM, JTB, Paasi, Ah Mau, Bunty. All solid, but none of them are really dominant players.

If you look at all the top teams they have at least one forward who can dominate up front week in and week out. Haas, Bromwich, JWH/Taukeiaho, Taumalolo, Fifita, Taupau etc. We don't have that so if we're spending big money anywhere it's the middle of the field.

My personal shopping list/development priority going forward (aside from the obvious new coach).

1. Half
2. Middle forward
3. Winger
4. Centre
I would have centre ahead of wing, wing is a position most clubs should be able to fill internally. Centre is a speicalist position that we are lacking in at the moment. Hiku is not a good defender, Herbert doesnt look very fast, and Fusitua just isnt a centre no matter how much people wish he was.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
May 8, 2012
Given that i have no idea how much time playing instead of training players are going to get this year, I think that keeping a number of players with experience, like AK and Blair is a must.

However I agree that Green is past it already. Nikorima is a man without a home, lets be honest, hes had his shot and failed to cement a position in the team and while i think its the last year of his contract, I cant see anywhere else to put him. I think CHT into the halves is the go, with AK as interim partner. The reason AK to centres works for me is hes a talker and really that was why we had Green there. Green just had more experience.

I am satisfied with the forwards coming. I see Blair as a bench option, on his last year, he'll either put in to show the boys or he'll tune out altogether, but the reality is its his call and with this year not playing or training I really dont know what we will get.

IMO its time to go with a team of youth and desire, giving experienced players the chance to lead them into the future, but rotating to the newer players as the year progresses.

The Falcon

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 20, 2017
Auckland
A menacing power forward, a centre and a half like everyone else has suggested, not necessarily in the order would complete the current team dynamic.

I quite like Off the Bench’s suggestion of SJ ,perhaps on a two year deal, he would also be good for the development of Paul Turner who I really rate, and maybe a better chance to ‘bring home’. I bet the Sharks would happily assist in making it happen.

The whispers of Jackson Hastings earlier in the year would be more cost effective, but I’ do t know what to think about that.

A centre with speed to burn and an ability to set up his winger pleeeeeease, I’ve got nostalgic watching Clinton Toopi this last week on SKY. Could Hayze be this guy if given a chance to solidify a position in the backline, it’s the position that stands out for me if he is going to crack it.

The pack is taking shape, but a ‘Brute’ with some footwork would be a great compliment to the signing of BMM as others suggested, add an offloading ability and I’d be doing cartwheels.

For the guys off contract, I would like AK to stay on, he hasn’t been used to best effect during his stay and has more to offer, Pat Herbert is probably depth in my mind.

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
I would have centre ahead of wing, wing is a position most clubs should be able to fill internally. Centre is a speicalist position that we are lacking in at the moment. Hiku is not a good defender, Herbert doesnt look very fast, and Fusitua just isnt a centre no matter how much people wish he was.

We desperately need both, which one comes first is a matter of price and willingness to sign.

We need at least 2 new outside backs if we want to compete. I don't see one as significantly more important than the other.

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
1 pack leader, BMM isnt it. Need a JWH, Steve Price, Campion type dominater.
1 elite half to partner CHT, throw the book at Mitch Pearce or Moses. If we're dreaming, Benji could be a good short-term fit to tutor Chanel, and who knows, he might convince the coach to come with him.
1. half decent centre
Sorted.

Last edited:

Chats271

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 9, 2017

thanks legends

My 2c -

1. I think we move KN back to the halves as when Green leaves, as we don't have anyone else there with any proper NRL experience. All our players that have been earmarked for the halves all play a similar, off the cuff style and are strong ball running type halves, granted I haven't seen too much of Turner but from what I have seen seems to fit my above description. We wont have a team controlling halve once Green leaves which is what we've been lacking a lot of, even when he has been there.

2. I would re-sign Herbert based on value for money. Wouldn't take up a whole lot of the salary cap, can play a few positions if needed and offers another conversion kicking option which we are in short supply of.

Unsure of Hayze, I still don't quite know where he fits into the equation.

3. I think as people have said above With Harris in the backrow also, I think and am hoping Katoa can be our diamond in the rough. Shows a lot of promise but would be hard to see him playing at a high level week in, week out only as he's so new at League and still quite raw and young. Still I like what I've seen in him so far.

4. Yes, I personally think there could be too much risk to rely on our 2021 predicted line up for our forward pack. All our players in the middle forwards are just solid, while JTB is also pretty new at top flight footy. We don't have that man who can bend the line and get fast plays of the balls consistently. Maybe thats the role BMM is earmarked for ? I'm hoping he can keep his current form going for when he gets here

Wananga Kingi

1st Grade Fringe
Jan 26, 2020

defensivebomb

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 29, 2018
I think, with the fact that this year is a write-off and we have a lot of players off contract, this is a good opportunity to make a lot of changes. We saw in the first two weeks of this season what an uninspired / uninspiring team we have. Now is as good a time as any to be bold. We've had annual minor tweaks to a losing strategy for too long.

What would I do? Overhaul the coaching roster, keep the gems (I won't name names) and completely overhaul the selection and promotion dynamic between FG and reserve grade. I don't know how I'd do it as I am no expert but it is plain to see that something ain't right and hasn't been for some time

Afakasi247

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 5, 2014
I think, with the fact that this year is a write-off and we have a lot of players off contract, this is a good opportunity to make a lot of changes. We saw in the first two weeks of this season what an uninspired / uninspiring team we have. Now is as good a time as any to be bold. We've had annual minor tweaks to a losing strategy for too long.

What would I do? Overhaul the coaching roster, keep the gems (I won't name names) and completely overhaul the selection and promotion dynamic between FG and reserve grade. I don't know how I'd do it as I am no expert but it is plain to see that something ain't right and hasn't been for some time
I think the coaching structure needs to change - SK (unfortunately) and Iro definitely need to go.

SK - I like the guy, I admire how he has an idea of how things should go and he sticks to his guns. I like that he brought a level of professionalism and didn't put up with the dead weight in our team. However, his gameplan sucks/doesn't suit the level of talent that we have. He tried to come up with some BS that he had adjusted the game plan this season etc. but as we saw in the trials in first 2 rounds, that didn't amount to crap - in fact it created more of a mess than we started with!

Iro - His name is tainted, and is tied in with the worst teams we've ever put out onto the field. I don't know what he brings tbh.

Stacey Jones and the other fella might be worth keeping around as they have familiarity with the current squad and rapport with the players - with a more astute Head coach and assistant coming in with fresh ideas and perspectives.

The new trainer hasn't had enough time for us to critique his methods - so keep him on board at least another season.

In terms of options - I don't know if Nathan Brown would be able to do anything further than what we had with SK. Morgan is an unknown as well - seems to talk well but so did Matty Elliot.

We also need to recruit well but given the current situation - I don't know how feasible this will be.

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Would like to see Junior Ratuva at centre and Fusitua back to the wing. He has wheels and towers over Fusitua, big unit. If Katoa is in the second row our whole forward pack aswell as bench props will be over 110kg except lock, that's a lot of weight to tire out opposition packs with the second wave as big as the first. Lock would be between Papalii, Burr, Curran and Tevaga. With injuries likely throughout the season any of those guys could slot into the second row and Tom Ale in waiting for 2022. Would like to see Herbert and AK kept for depth. I would recruit a halves partner for CHT probably for the short term with the door open for Turner down the line and Nikorima has the bench role he came here to get away from.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
We have a solid base next year... there are only a couple of positions everyone seems to agree on:

An experience number 7
A big forward leader
An outside back

Only problem is our team is way off the pace this year with most of the squad everyone’s happy with.

I think the coaching structure needs to change - SK (unfortunately) and Iro definitely need to go.

The new trainer hasn't had enough time for us to critique his methods - so keep him on board at least another season.
I agree it is the coaching, a few senior players replaced (Blair and Green) and I’ve already decided the trainer hasn’t performed as the team was way off the pace.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013

thanks legends
Q1. I wouldn’t be going to the market for halves. I would try re-sign AK if he’s willing to come back on similar money (hopefully he sees an opportunity with Green gone).

CHT looks the goods long term IMO. Lacked creativity in those first two rounds but I like his game management potential. He’s still extremely young.

If AK chooses to return home, I would reluctantly put Nikorima there. Unless Turner is ready.

CHT/Turner is probably the long term halves combination. I also really like 18 year old SG ball halfback Sione Moala, who has probably earned one of the six development contracts for next year.

Q2. Definitely an area we may need to recruit in. I would not offer Herbert anything more than 2nd string centre contract. He would be good depth to have behind our starting centre combination. He shouldn’t be starting at centre or wing. Good defender but too limited offensively.

Who we have coming through:
Setu Tu (strong carrier and try scoring ability but not impressed with general IQ and defensive awareness).
Edward Kosi (tall frame and good athlete but not amazing at anything in particular).
Selestino Ravutaumada (unreal speed but defensive liability).
Junior Ratuva (new kid on the block, from highlights he looks like he could be exactly what we need. Tall, fast, explosive)

Realistically, one of Tu, Kosi, Ravutaumada and Ratuva will claim a starting wing spot.

Hayze is a tricky one. He’s a classic tweener. Doesn’t have the ball skills to play in the halves but not big enough to play centre.
His easiest path is to put on some muscle and claim the other centre spot over the off-contract Hiku and Herbert.

Who knows, maybe Rocco Berry surprises people and becomes a bolter for a centre spot (similar to Katoa this year).

Backline I would select:
1. RTS
2. Ken
3. Hayze
4. Fusitua
5. Ratuva

Q3: I’m happy with Katoa and Harris starting in the second row.

I’m predicting Tom Ale to emerge into a regular first grader (judging by his round 1 NSW cup performance this year) and the next cab off the rank for the second row.

Joseph Vuna could potentially be back? Not that he would walk into the starting 17 anyway.

Q4: I think prop should be a priority. Not sure whether a rotation of LAM, Paasi, Bunty, BMM and JTB really cuts it.

Overall, I think centre and prop should be our targets if we can attract anyone for the right price.

Last edited:

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings