Internationals 2021 Rugby League World Cup

playdaball

Heritage Member
Made an absolute goose of himself tonight

Actually insulting saying Suaalii is playing for Toa so he can play FB to show potential clubs his worth at FB.

Anyone with Polynesian blood know the pull you have to your parents home.

Lost respect for Kenty tonight.
To be fair, we’re also seeing that with Victor Radley declaring himself to be a proud Englishman - good on him !

And another thing to add it’s sad how they’ve treated the kangaroos. They have done nothing to build a potential brand that could have been similar to the all blacks in terms of the rugby league version. I’m not saying it would match but they have done nothing with the kangaroos to promote the game internationally, to grow the game. They should be trying to play at least 6-8 games a year. The aussies are so insular. The bloody wallabies keep losing the bledisloe for 20 plus year but they keep playing to promote the game internationally. Rugby league is so insular.
As long as they win they don't seem to care.

I've thought similarly about the Kangaroos to what you have posted above. They have had some great teams over the years and have played some great football. Their winning reputation and record is up there but the main argument is the quality of their competition. They should encourage or do what they can to strengthen the other sides. A stronger international game would help lift the value of the Australian jumper, especially if they kept winning.

Instead, they:
Stop international games scheduled for mid-season as they muck around with Origin scheduling or complaints from NRL coaches.
Cancel International schedules when the International game starts to build a bit of momentum.
Stockpile talent.
They were okay with the International rule while it weakened England (other UK nations) and New Zealand (Pacific Nations).

The show should be renamed to grumpy old men. A few weeks ago the focus is on the finals not off field issues and they still find something to be upset about.

Tonight was funny. The last few years we've had players decide to play for either Tonga and Samoa instead of the Kiwis. It's a bit harder for New Zealand as we don't have the depth of Australia. It's what we have had to live with and as long as its not last minute like the last world cup.

New Zealand losing players hasn't raised any discussion. As soon as it happens to one up and coming player for Australia and its time for an overhaul.
get ready for the ozzies to move the goal posts again lol..if stopping the mid-year tests wasnt bad enough..lol

So many questions over eligibility. Zero tackle article earlier said Josh Papalii was named in the Kiwi squad, there must be a mistake. A number of players who like him have turned out for the Juniour Kiwis have gone on the represent other countries. Only a matter of time until some of these nations are classified as Tier 1. Samoa is looking very strong.

Last edited:
Kent can’t comprehend that while some of these boys were born in Aus, grew up and are passionate for state rugby league, they love their Island countries more than Australia. It’s their identity. NZ has embraced that better and accept it. Some Aussies like Kent don’t want to accept it. It seems to really burn some of them Aussies.

Reactions: J_P
Kent can’t comprehend that while some of these boys were born in Aus, grew up and are passionate for state rugby league, they love their Island countries more than Australia. It’s their identity. NZ has embraced that better and accept it. Some Aussies like Kent don’t want to accept it. It seems to really burn some of them Aussies.
Playing devils advocate, I guess the hard thing to accept is that they have invested so much into these guys as kids, not Tonga or Samoa. At what point do Tonga and Samoa have to fend for themselves, become tier 1 and risk players choosing the money and fame of SOO and Australia, over the cultural ties, much the same as happens for young kiwis in Aus and in union. How sustainable is the current model given that all the work and investment is so onesided.

Dont get me wrong, I cant wait for the WC considering there are gonna be more competitive teams than ever. I just cant see how the current model is going to last. Players are going to have to make the choice very soon, or they are going to have to open SOO up to everyone, which seems very unlikely.

Reactions: Toookey
bad timing for me, I'll have a look later and only one semi final is down south, can't work out who it will be.
You’re on the wrong side of London to make anywhere north an easy journey. I fancied Tonga v PPG at Leigh but I have something on at work and would be a dash to get there in time.

I left it too late to get tickets tbh, would have got a discount if I had booked earlier. £230 for me and the Missus to see two games. Cheap tickets are gone.

Edit. St Helens but either way I’m not going

Last edited:
I'll post it here as the discussions on eligibility have started due to the World Cup.

I get where he is coming from in that they are playing in a competition that would have started as an Australian trial. Origin has grown past that. Besides the Warriors the NRL clubs are Australian and require the player to live there.

For years they have used Origin as an incentive to persuade players to ditch their country of heritage or even weaken New Zealand so they can have the best players. Now the rules have changed and its not working out for them we need to have a discussion.

Murray Tuilagi has pledged for Samoa.
Samoa are pretty stacked for winger options. To'o, May, Taulagi, Nofoaluma, Suaalii and Tabuai-Fidow are all options.

Suaalii likely goes to FB, and To'o is locked in for one wing spot, but who knows who gets the other wing spot. May probably has the edge because of his combination with Tago.

I think we just need to enjoy the Australian media having a sulk & the fact that this World Cup could be the most competitive ever. The way the eligibility laws are I believe that the competitiveness of Tonga & Samoa may be shortlived as the majority of their team members are NZ or Australian born meaning their own grandkids (or some of their kids) won't be able to represent their island of heritage because the laws will just view them as 4th generation Kiwis/Ozzies

Last edited:
I know there are other plays but they got their knickers in a twist over Joseph Suaalii as he was likely to be on the wing for Australia.

If he made his decision earlier and waited to tell them then fair enough about being upset.

At the moment to me it seems like a young guy early in his career wanting to play for a team representing his family's heritage. He will likely move to represent Australia later in his career. I'd say nothing to see here except the league media like to complain so that's what they are doing.

Totally agree with you.

Reactions: Paulo24