Recruitment 2020 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

6Again

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 1, 2020
Well after watching storm v raiders last night... we badly need speedy wingers ... fox and co sliced them to bits... from what Ive seen Ken is slow and Fusitua seems lazy.. maybe just see out their contracts the flick em..
Hope your a patient man, Ken & Fusitua have 2 and 3 years respectively. Fortunately these days younger players can usually be moved on.

wellyboy

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 1, 2015
Well after watching storm v raiders last night... we badly need speedy wingers ... fox and co sliced them to bits... from what Ive seen Ken is slow and Fusitua seems lazy.. maybe just see out their contracts then flick em..
Agreed. Heard they'll move fusitua to centres maybe after 2021 and for the long term. We should bring in a speedy winger in. Ratuva? Hes big but fast.

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Agreed. Heard they'll move fusitua to centres maybe after 2021 and for the long term. We should bring in a speedy winger in. Ratuva? Hes big but fast.
We've been hearing Fusitua to centre "next year" and "long term" for the last 4-5 years.

Not doubting what you heard, but every time we try he either gets injured or a winger gets injured and forces him out one again.

We'll see.

wrighty

I dream of the blackcaps winning the world cup
Contributor
Mar 17, 2018
We've been hearing Fusitua to centre "next year" and "long term" for the last 4-5 years.

Not doubting what you heard, but every time we try he either gets injured or a winger gets injured and forces him out one again.

We'll see.
At centre this year he didn't try to juke anybody one on one. He just tried to run straight at blokes and expected them to miss him. Opposition NRL first grade standard centres don't miss and he was parked on his ass every time he took it to the line.
Was a handy defender though which is half the battle.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney

We'll see.
Still don’t get this rationality- he’s been tried multiple times and is crap there.
Fusitua’ main skills is his aerial ability and his corner finishing- that’s about it, have yet to see him show any skills in setting players up or defensively.
Not having a go at you I just don’t understand why it still gets brought up as a sure thing, honestly don’t think he’s good enough to play there

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2019
Still don’t get this rationality- he’s been tried multiple times and is crap there.
Fusitua’ main skills is his aerial ability and his corner finishing- that’s about it, have yet to see him show any skills in setting players up or defensively.
Not having a go at you I just don’t understand why it still gets brought up as a sure thing, honestly don’t think he’s good enough to play there
Feel like Fusituas been found out a bit without SJ. Don’t reckon he’s their long term centre option and interesting they only signed Hiku for a year. I reckon PO’S has something in the pipeline. Wonder if Staggs is an option since he’s not re signing with brisbane.

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
What rationality? It's a fact that he's gotten injured or been moved back out to wing because of injury.

It keeps getting bought up because people at the club keep bringing it up as an option.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
How has he been crap there? His best two games of the season were the first two which he played at centre.

A lot of SJ's tries one year came from infield passes from Fusitua on the wing. He definitely has the ability to set people up. Defensive ability is still a question mark until we see him play there consistently.

It's keeps getting brought up because that's obviously where the club sees his future. They've tried to play him there multiple times, but it keeps getting derailed due to injuries, covid etc. He also played a lot of his U20 career at centre and fullback.

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 6, 2016
Fusitua might blossom at centre given an extended chance, bit of a worry he hasn't shown much creativity or evasion yet but his D was sound, might have been a reflection of the previous conservative process. Presumably Aitkins and Hiku will be first choice next year but he showed some promise imo.

Reactions: Off The Bench

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
How has he been crap there? His best two games of the season were the first two which he played at centre.

A lot of SJ's tries one year came from infield passes from Fusitua on the wing. He definitely has the ability to set people up. Defensive ability is still a question mark until we see him play there consistently.

It's keeps getting brought up because that's obviously where the club sees his future. They've tried to play him there multiple times, but it keeps getting derailed due to injuries, covid etc. He also played a lot of his U20 career at centre and fullback.
Kearney saw his future there (for 2 games, then changed him back to wing FFS...), but we don't know how Brown is thinking. With him re signing Hiku and bringing in Aitken, I would say the club doesn't see him as a centre.

I think his skill set is wasted at centre, the guy excels in the air and scoring in the corners. I have no doubt he would hold his own at centre, but would rather we use what he's good at, rather than trying to develop a guy on $500k into a new position where he's been tried already.

I have more faith in developing a guy like Perham or Keighran, who to me seem more like natural centres with ball skills. Big wingers need centres who can set them up.

We still haven't seen fairwells to several players BTW, Keighran, Burr, Papalii off the top of my head.

Defence

Warriors 1st Grader
May 9, 2012
I’m gonna go against the grain here... I reckon the break would’ve done ken and Fusitua the world of good and they’ll both be in for bumper seasons.
They both looked a bit jaded to me esp ken who has had to shoulder so much of our go forward the last couple of years.
I think they’ll come back fresh and with a point to prove.
Having bmm and afb coming on board will be a massive lift for them too esp Fusitua with the Tongan connection.

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
I’m gonna go against the grain here... I reckon the break would’ve done ken and Fusitua the world of good and they’ll both be in for bumper seasons.
They both looked a bit jaded to me esp ken who has had to shoulder so much of our go forward the last couple of years.
I think they’ll come back fresh and with a point to prove.
Having bmm and afb coming on board will be a massive lift for them too esp Fusitua with the Tongan connection.
If either of them turn up at pre season un fit or over weight, I'd be showing them the door. They should be fired up and keen to rip in and pay back their team mates and the club.

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
Kearney saw his future there (for 2 games, then changed him back to wing FFS...), but we don't know how Brown is thinking. With him re signing Hiku and bringing in Aitken, I would say the club doesn't see him as a centre.

I think his skill set is wasted at centre, the guy excels in the air and scoring in the corners. I have no doubt he would hold his own at centre, but would rather we use what he's good at, rather than trying to develop a guy on $500k into a new position where he's been tried already.

I have more faith in developing a guy like Perham or Keighran, who to me seem more like natural centres with ball skills. Big wingers need centres who can set them up.

We still haven't seen fairwells to several players BTW, Keighran, Burr, Papalii off the top of my head.
IMO the best player in the air in the comp is Zac Lomax. He has scored and set up countless tries this season from plucking bombs and cross field kicks out of the air. And he also plays centre.

Moving Fusitua to centre doesn't negate our ability to utilise his skill set in the air. Same goes for his finishing ability in the corner, in fact it gives him more space to work with.

Kearney only changed him back because our wing options were abysmal at that point in the season. Other than Ken, we only had Herbert (new to wing) and Pompey (handful of first grade games). He publicly said during the preseason that he saw Fusitua's future at centre.

I personally think Fusitua will be the first choice centre alongside Aitken. I also think Hiku was only re-signed for depth (hence the one year deal).

Long term, I like Rocco Berry at centre, has a tall frame and ball playing ability. I also like Hayze at centre depending on how much more size his body is capable of putting on.

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
We should sign up a big fuck off lump of meat bopper.

We should get back Ngani Laumape.

We should recruit outside Auckland.

We should recruit more Australians.

We need more white people in the team.

We should bring Dally Messenger back from the dead...
First post in the tread from a year ago...

Done, we look to the future not backwards, done, done, done, I’m sure POS has tried.

Successful year of recruitment 👍

Last Game

27 Sep

40 - 28
6.5 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 19 ratings