Recruitment 2020 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2012
Wellington
Yeah I'm a fan of the current guys we're signing. Add Curran and JTB to Murchie, Rudolf, and a Blacker. Big mobile forwards, young, stuck behind top forward packs and looking for a chance to excel. Have been through the Aussie system, and have junior rep honours. If even a couple of these guys turn out, we're onto a winner.

Thankfully we can trust in POS to have a sharp eye on young talent.

Eisenhuth is a solid hard working prop, wouldn't turn him down for sure. I can't see him being loaned, he'd be their 18th man if out of the playing 17. Clubs will only consider loaning 3rd/4th fringe players. Would be crazy otherwise.

Penpal

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 22, 2014
What I like about these depth signings is that they will make young NZ kids signed to the Warriors earn a spot in the 30. It's not something you get for free just because you signed a contract!
That said, a guy like Jack Murchie might just see 2020 as an NRL audition. Could be a different story when he has to live in NZ fulltime in 2021.
Pretty sure the club will have won Toby Rudolf's signature by paying overs too but at least they got him at the right stage of his career

Weno

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 3, 2012
I like that we're making moves to strengthen our squad, but it would be the most Kearney thing ever to beef up our pack just in time for the game to trend towards smaller and mobile packs.
Actually SK changed the mould of the modern day prop when he moved up front with the Warriors.
Big,tall,rangy, speed and footwork.
Put the Grant Youngs and Se'eSolomona's into extinction.

Penpal

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 22, 2014
George Fai?
Hopefully not Sam Tagataese?

Kearney has also received private offers from some other former Broncos but wouldn't take up the retired player option until the NRL had made a loan ruling "over the next few days".

Last edited:

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 19, 2018
Actually SK changed the mould of the modern day prop when he moved up front with the Warriors.
Big,tall,rangy, speed and footwork.
Put the Grant Youngs and Se'eSolomona's into extinction.
Grant Young went into extinction because he couldn't catch.

Not sure how Kearney playing prop over 20 years ago is going to help him coach.

• Haha
Reactions: Weno

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 18, 2016
Tauranga
Yeah I'm a fan of the current guys we're signing. Add Curran and JTB to Murchie, Rudolf, and a Blacker. Big mobile forwards, young, stuck behind top forward packs and looking for a chance to excel. Have been through the Aussie system, and have junior rep honours. If even a couple of these guys turn out, we're onto a winner.
Does this confirm the Warriors are looking to move away from a preference for kiwi talent?

Could our team become a lot more Australian in the playing numbers and our playing culture?

I think the NZ team approach by Doyle was good in theory but the reduced player pool and the negative impact on recruiting has been a disaster.

Lance155

1st Grade Fringe
Feb 24, 2013
Does this confirm the Warriors are looking to move away from a preference for kiwi talent?

Could our team become a lot more Australian in the playing numbers and our playing culture?

I think the NZ team approach by Doyle was good in theory but the reduced player pool and the negative impact on recruiting has been a disaster.
I always hated the idea regardless of the players. Will be good to have a mix again

PullinTeeth

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 11, 2017
George Fai?
Hopefully not Sam Tagataese?

Kearney has also received private offers from some other former Broncos but wouldn't take up the retired player option until the NRL had made a loan ruling "over the next few days".
I'm trying to think of players that could of started at the Broncs but played then retired at another club but none come to mind.
Maybe Matt Gilletts got a new lease of life.
Also Ben Teo is training at the Broncos facilities and at a stretch hes retured from the Broncos

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 17, 2018
I'm trying to think of players that could of started at the Broncs but played then retired at another club but none come to mind.
This dude maybe although maybe a bit old now...

• PREMIERSHIPS: 1979, 1984, 1986
  • KANGAROO TOURS: 1982, 1986
  • AUSTRALIAN CAPTAIN: 24 TESTS
  • KANGAROO TOUR CAPTAIN :1986
  • GOLDEN BOOT AWARD: 1984
  • DALLY M FIVE-EIGHTH OF THE YEAR: 1988
  • HARRY SUNDERLAND MEDAL: 1988
  • AUSTRALIAN RUGBY LEAGUE TEAM OF THE CENTURY: 2008
  • QUEENSLAND TEAM OF THE CENTURY: 2008
  • IMMORTAL: 1999
  • RATED NO. 7 IN RUGBY LEAGUE WEEK’S TOP 100 PLAYERS: 1992
  • NAMED IN NRL TEAM OF THE 1980S: 2004

TheCool

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 18, 2013
I think we're starting to see O'Sullivan really come through with his eye for young talent. Josh Curran, Jack Murchie, Eddie Blacker (rumour) Tesi Niu (rumour) have all come the Aus system and were superstar level players all through the lower grades (each played QLD/NSW U20 or junior kangaroos).

Even our lower grades are looking in far better shape. Our SG ball team were dominating before it got shut down. Some really promising new players coming through most of which POS has raided from 1st XV ranks, such as Jeremiah Asi (St Peters), Viliami Vailea (Aorere College), Tamiro Armstrong (Auckland Grammar) and Ali Leiataua and Eric Vaafusuaga (Kings College).

I've always said this is the way to go. All these players look far more talented than our usual junior recruits that only come through the NZRL pathways. All the above players would have been Blues U18 reps with Asi and Vailea probably NZ secondary schools.

On another note, Toby Rudolph has first grade starting prop written all over him. Really impressed with what I've seen from him especially in the State final against Burleigh last year and in his two first grade games this year.

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
May 15, 2012
Wellington, New Zealand

Warriors land big Shark for 2021 but still hunting another prop

Dan WalshFri 22 May 2020, 05:04 PM

Rising Sharks prop Toby Rudolf will join the Warriors in 2021 but they are still in the immediate market for a big man after Cronulla knocked back enquiries about an early release.

NRL.com understands Rudolf has agreed to terms on a three-year deal with the Warriors from next season, though neither club has made an official comment on his future.

Rudolf impressed in two games for the Sharks after a long-awaited round one debut at the age of 24.

Given Cronulla's own slim front-row stocks, the suggestion of Rudolf easing the Warriors' crippling injury toll has been shot down.

And while Tongan powerhouse Ben Murdoch-Masila - who has signed with the Warriors for 2021 - has also expressed his willingness to join the club early from Super League's Warrington Wolves, a release is understood to be unlikely given hopes of the English competition returning in August.

Ken Maumalo." data-xf-init="lightbox" data-lb-single-image="1" data-lb-container-zoom="1" data-lb-trigger=".js-lbImage-_xfUid-1-1590726747" data-lb-id="_xfUid-1-1590726747" style="">
New recruit Jack Murchie at Warriors training on Friday with Ken Maumalo.
New recruit Jack Murchie at Warriors training on Friday with Ken Maumalo. ©Paul Barkley/NRL Photos
As a result, Stephen Kearney's recruitment staff are still scouring the market for a front-rower with middle men Leeson Ah Mau (pectoral), Jackson Frei and Bunty Afoa (knee injuries) sidelined for the season and Jazz Tevaga (knee) also out long term.

Former Raider Jack Murchie has already linked with the Warriors this week after taking just 24 hours to nut out a deal for the rest of 2020.

"We're still looking to add to that list," Kearney said on Friday.

"We are on the lookout for a middle forward and [CEO] Cameron [George] is working with the NRL about a loan process, potentially loaning a player from another club for a period.

"One, so that he can get some footy under his belt and two, he could help our footy club out.

"We hope to hear from the NRL in the coming days to see if that is a possibility."

Wests Tigers prop Matt Eisenhuth is another linked to a potential loan arrangement, while Dragons coach Paul McGregor said he would be willing to consider offering a younger forward like Eddie Blacker up for a brief move if it suited both clubs and the player.

Coincidentally, the Warriors have drawn the Dragons next Saturday at their makeshift base of Central Coast Stadium.

Kearney said the Warriors were awaiting a final call on potential loan deals at next Thursday's ARL Commission meeting before officially approaching clubs and players.

Retired veterans such as Paul Gallen and Sam Thaiday may yet come into consideration if the NRL knocks back the Warriors' loan requests.

While the club has 26 fit players in camp in Terrigal on the Central Coast, several of those are young development players that Kearney is loath to blood at the top level.

Former first grader-turned Sky Sports reporter Blake Ayshford meanwhile has been jumping onto the wing at training to help out.

Roger Tuivasa-Sheck leads the team through its paces at training in Gosford." data-xf-init="lightbox" data-lb-single-image="1" data-lb-container-zoom="1" data-lb-trigger=".js-lbImage-_xfUid-2-1590726747" data-lb-id="_xfUid-2-1590726747" style="">
Warriors skipper Roger Tuivasa-Sheck leads the team through its paces at training in Gosford.
Warriors skipper Roger Tuivasa-Sheck leads the team through its paces at training in Gosford. ©Paul Barkley/NRL Photos
"We've got some development boys in there, and at this stage I don't want to be putting those guys into an NRL contest," Kearney said.

"One, [recent rugby union convert] Rocco Berry, he turned 19 last week and he's played two games of rugby league. So it's just not safe practice to be throwing someone like that in there.

"We're able to get by [in training] with 13 v 13 at the moment. I've got no doubt they could handle a game in the NRL ... but I think it's a big ask to put [Berry] in there at this stage.

"If I had to put him in there for half an hour of an NRL match, he may be able cope with it I'm sure. But I certainly wouldn't want to be taking that risk."

Reactions: warriors55

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 17, 2018
"Wests Tigers prop Matt Eisenhuth and Dragons forward Eddie Blacker have also been linked to the Warriors as loan options, as well as former long-term Warrior Russell Packer. "

Packer has been added as a loan option.

edit - beaten to post this by someone else.

Reactions: warriors55

Paulo24

1st Grade Fringe
Mar 3, 2014
As much as I hate Paul Gallen I want him to come in and shove a rocket up the arse of some of our under-performing players and get them all putting in 100%.
Yeah, I was thinking a hard nosed senior forward is what was needed with the young signings. If we could get BMM and Gallen, there would be some xfactor, mongrel and experience.

matiunz

All Out!
Contributor
Jul 15, 2013
Sydney
"Wests Tigers prop Matt Eisenhuth and Dragons forward Eddie Blacker have also been linked to the Warriors as loan options, as well as former long-term Warrior Russell Packer. "

Packer has been added as a loan option.

edit - beaten to post this by someone else.
Packer would be very interesting, never thought I’d see it considering the fashion he left in- guess he’s had to do a lot of growing up since then though

Upcoming Match

St George Dragons NSW

Last Game

21 Mar

06-20
4.7 Total Avg Rating
4.5 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 10 ratings