General 2020 Rule Changes

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 12, 2017
I've been thinking about the rule changes this year in the NRL and especially the captains challenge. Here are my thoughts.

I think the captains challenge is a good thing and it could be used similar to DRS in cricket. However I would suggest some rule changes.

1. The challenge can only be used to decide try/no try decisions or in the play directly before the try, otherwise there are going to be too many delays and there will be teams using it tactically (which will become more of a problem as the season goes on).

2. Get rid of the bunker. Let the referee make the decision in real time and the captain can challenge it if they think it is wrong.
They refs could still use the TMO for touch in-goal decisions.

3. Go back to having 1 referee. I think games were more free flowing with 1 referee. The touchies could help with offside rulings.

Will post more as I think of them.

• Sad
Reactions: demco

Miket12

Warriors 1st Grader
Apr 20, 2012
I can see Cam Smith distracting refs while the seconds count down in order to use up time while the opposing captain is deciding whether or not to challenge. And you can guarantee smart teams will try to kick for touch or do a quick tap restart so penalties they’ve received can’t be questioned.

Trouble with nice guy Warriors, they’ll spend most of their time complaining after games that they weren’t given a chance to challenge instead of trying these sort of tactics on other teams,

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Sep 12, 2017
I can see Cam Smith distracting refs while the seconds count down in order to use up time while the opposing captain is deciding whether or not to challenge. And you can guarantee smart teams will try to kick for touch or do a quick tap restart so penalties they’ve received can’t be questioned.

Trouble with nice guy Warriors, they’ll spend most of their time complaining after games that they weren’t given a chance to challenge instead of trying these sort of tactics on other teams,

You might be right. While on the surface it seems like it will benefit the Warriors it might actually make things worse for us.

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
May 10, 2012
The 20/40 Rule to me is the clearest example yet of the NRL's inability to understand what makes the game great and what can be improved.

A gimmick rule like this is further evidence to me that they do not want teams to be forced into their own end. How many times do we see a team pin the opposition inside their 20 and give away a penalty that in any other part of the ground would be let go.

Pinning teams in their own end and winning field position is a key part of the game and to think a team can get out of that by finding touch inside the opposition 40 is ridiculous.

Last Game

27 Aug

16 - 28
5.6 Total Avg Rating
0.0 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 5 ratings