Recruitment 2019 Warriors Recruitment NEWS & RUMOUR

REPEAT OFF TOPIC OFFENDERS WILL BE BANNED FROM POSTING IN THIS THREAD.

• Total voters
Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

On compassionate leave
Reaction score
From our mate the Mole:

WARRIORS EYE-OFF SEVENS STAR

The Warriors are believed to be in talks with one of the most exciting players in the world of rugby union sevens.

Neria Fomai, a 26-year-old halfback, shone in this year’s Commonwealth Games and has the skills and speed to be a sensation in league.

With the future of Shaun Johnson at the club under a cloud, Fomai could be a handy man to fill the void.

Former Warriors junior Patrick Herbert is set to rejoin the club from the Dragons.

https://www.rugbypass.com/mitre-10-cup/teams/southland-stags/players/neria-fomai/

Seems to be an inside centre not halfback. Those ratings dont look too flash.

Reaction score
1995Warriorsfan

1995Warriorsfan

Player Agent
Contributor
Reaction score
Vodafone Warriors boost back row depth
Author Richard Bechtwarriors.kiwi

The Vodafone Warriors’ back row depth has been boosted for the 2019 NRL season following official confirmation of second rower Lachlan Burr’s two-year contract.
The 26-year-old is among a number of new faces onboard for the club’s preseason training campaign.

He joins the Vodafone Warriors after stints with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs and the Gold Coast Titans in the NRL while he also spent the 2017 season in England where he appeared for the Leigh Centurions and the Sheffield Eagles.

An Australian Schoolboys representative in 2010, Burr played NYC football for the Bulldogs before making his only NRL appearance for the club in 2013.

A two-season term with the Titans in 2015 and 2016 netted 23 NRL outings before his move to England.

He returned to the Bulldogs this year, helping the club to victory over Newtown in the Intrust Super Premiership title decider followed by success against Redcliffe in the National State Championship encounter on the NRL’s grand final day at ANZ Stadium. Named the Bulldogs' 2018 ISP player of the year, Burr averaged 120 metres and 24 tackles in his 23 appearances.

LACHLAN BURR

Born: September 27, 1992
Birthplace: Sydney, NSW
Junior Club: Revesby Heights Rhinos (Sydney)
Position: Second row/loose forward
Height: 188cm
Weight: 102kg
Rep Honours: Australian Schoolboys 2010, NRL Auckland Nines, Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs (2014), Gold Coast Titans (2015-2016)
FG Debut: Canterbury-Bankstown v Penrith, ANZ Stadium, August 31, 2013 (Rd 25)
NRL Career: 24 appearances (2013-2016):
Canterbury-Bankstown: 1 appearance (2013)
Gold Coast: 23 appearances (2015-2016)
NRL Points: 4 (1 try)

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
From our mate the Mole:

WARRIORS EYE-OFF SEVENS STAR

The Warriors are believed to be in talks with one of the most exciting players in the world of rugby union sevens.

Neria Fomai, a 26-year-old halfback, shone in this year’s Commonwealth Games and has the skills and speed to be a sensation in league.

With the future of Shaun Johnson at the club under a cloud, Fomai could be a handy man to fill the void.

Former Warriors junior Patrick Herbert is set to rejoin the club from the Dragons.
That is out of the Blue.
The Moles source at the Warriors was strongly rumoured to be Matt Elliot, sometime after Elliots departure his strike rate declined.

I like the idea of looking at sevens players although I would have imagined a target being a Fijian outside back not a Samoan Sevens half.

Had a quick look at his Youtubes highlights, not much to be gained from watching those apart from noting he cannot do the running things that Shaun Johnson can...he makes Johnson look like a Wizard.

Reaction score
WellingtonOrca

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Reaction score
ttkk19

ttkk19

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The Fomai rumour is pretty interesting.

My bet is that the Warriors are looking at him as a possible winger/center given his skill set and background. The bit about him being a possible SJ replacement would just be Moley trying to add a little juice to the piece. The big thing though is his age, with all due respect to the guy I don't think you really want to be signing outside backs in their mid-late twenties unless they're proven at their position.

I think something can also be said for the fact that given the plethora of sevens players running around in NZ, the one willing to have a run with us is (and again no offence to him) a player in his middle years who plays for the Samoan team, and a player I've never heard of having followed sevens myself a bit in recent years (though I mostly only follow the NZ team).

In saying that I hope we get a chance to see him play, at least for the reserve grade team. I'v been screaming out for some more spark and skill in the backs and this guy could definitely bring it. Seems like he likes to rip in and try things too so all the best to him.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Something about Blake Ayshford then I read the bit about Solomone Kata :banghead::banghead::banghead:.

Discuss away. If we get too Kata centric they can be moved to his player discussion thread...

Blake Ayshford likely to leave Warriors for Super League
David Long
12:28, Nov 20 2018

FIONA GOODALL/ GETTY IMAGES
Blake Ayshford didn't play a game for the Warriors this year.

Warriors outside back Blake Ayshford has likely played his last game for the club and is looking for a move to Super League in the UK.

The 30-year-old has been linked with a move to Hull Kingston Rovers by UK newspaper Hull Daily Mail, but there was reportedly interest from other clubs too.

Ayshford is under contract with the Warriors for next season, but it's understood the club won't stand in his way if he is able to find a deal elsewhere.

Ayshford, who can play centre or on the wing, didn't feature at all for the club during the 2018 campaign, which was blighted for him by a back injury.

He did play in 43 games for the Warriors during the 2016 and 2017 seasons, scoring 13 tries.

Ayshford signed a new contract with the Warriors midway through the 2017 season, but it was a deal that didn't work out well for either party.

With Solomone Kata expected to sign a new contract beyond next season and Peta Hiku and Gerard Beale signed through to the end of 2020, plus the arrival of Taane Milne, opportunities would be limited at centre for Ayshford.

Although there is less depth on the wing, Ken Maumalo and David Fusitua are locked into those positions for the foreseeable future.

Letting Ayshford go, would help give the Warriors more space under the salary cap.

It's understood that the club are close to the limit of A$9.6 million (NZ$10.2m) and wouldn't be in a position to sign any established players for next season.

They have been linked with Sam Kasiano from the Storm and the Broncos' Jordan Kahu recently.

But for any player that would be of interest to them, they would have to trade a player with that club, or see if they could offload someone elsewhere.

The Warriors have already given early releases to Mason Lino and James Gavet and it is becoming more common for clubs to allow players with contracts to move on.

It's believed Gavet would have earned $500,000 at the Warriors next season. He'll pick up more than that at the Knights next season, but it's unknown if any of that money will be paid by the Warriors.

The Knights appear to be the only NRL club with ample space under the salary cap and are expected to pick up David Klemmer from the Bulldogs.

Managing the salary cap is something all clubs have to keep a constant eye on and it's managed by Peter O'Sullivan and Brian Smith at the Warriors, who have worked out where they're likely to be under the cap from now until the 2023 season.

Whether Shaun Johnson stays beyond next season will have an impact on where the Warriors are with their cap for 2020, as it's been reported he's on around $1million.

But another quality halfback would likely cost around the same amount and a decision on whether Johnson will be offered a new contract and how much it will be for, won't be salary cap related.

It has become more common in recent years for clubs to try to offload players at the end of a season to squeeze themselves under the cap for the following year.

The problem is caused by the number of clubs backloading big contracts, where they'll sign a player on a multi-year deal and pay them well below market rate the first year, but it ramps up significantly in later years.

It's a philosophy that possibly brings short-term success, but burns the club in future years, when they're stuck with players taking up huge chunks of the salary cap.

The NRL will ban these contracts from next year and although players will still be able to get rises inside their contract it won't be to the same extent.

Under the new system, a player could be on $100,000 for the first year of his contract and this rises to $200,000 the next season and then $300,000.

No longer will players be able to sign deals where they're on $100,000 for the first year, the $400,000, then $800,000.

This sort of practice has been happening a lot by some club in the past and clubs like the Bulldogs, Sea Eagles, Eels and Panthers have got themselves into trouble because of it.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/108729417/blake-ayshford-likely-to-league-warriors-for-super-league?fbclid=IwAR0MPK1aZvZN3jvmeEZLjMb8N-ClejWe5LZybLooGIGbuxeq8JTGNAtw3gQ

Reaction score
Worried2Death

Worried2Death

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Last edited:
Reaction score
Navigator

Navigator

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Reaction score

Chchfanatic

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I was talking to a player on Saturday night and he reckons they are going to buy a couple of forwards. Lisone has come back unfit and someone else has got a bung shoulder(I had had a few drinks so can’t rememer who. Maybe Satae). He said Tavita harris has been killing it in preseason. Put on weight as well

Reaction score
razzrillinger

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-mitchell-moses-key-to-parramatta-eels-contract-negotiations-the-mole/e43a4076-a6f7-4b95-9256-3d6e4137d9dd

From the Mole :

Mitchell Moses is the key figure to the latest round of player merry-go-around negotiations.

The Eels are happy to let Moses walk and he is being hunted by both the Broncos and Warriors.

If he goes to the Warriors, it will be as the replacement for big-name halfback Shaun Johnson , who recently signed with Cronulla.

But if the Broncos snare him, that will see Brisbane utility Kodi Nikorima move to the Warriors to fill Johnson’s shoes.

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I'm honestly happy with either player. Both flawed in different ways, but but have a ton of potential, based off their best games. It's not as though it's all that much different to SJ tbh. Lad was 80% 'he might have a dominant game'.

I still stand by what I said when the Moses rumour first surfaced. He's always been at basket case clubs, I think in our rapidly improving culture, his attitude will be totally fine. He's apparently training down the house over at Parra now too.

Reaction score
Blain

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Far out talk about digging up old rumours, which have already been rejected, then spinning it into "new news".

And BTW, being shopped around by the Eels isn't being hunted by rival clubs..

Reaction score
Weno

Weno

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
All the best Braveheart.

A couple more kilo's and inches and you would of crack it.
One of the heartiest players around.

Go play topside in the ESL.

Never forget that shin tackle that face planted Andrew Fafita in the World Cup.

Thank You

Reaction score
Makasene

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Nikorima Rumours won't go away.... Or Moses for that fact.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-mitchell-moses-key-to-parramatta-eels-contract-negotiations-the-mole/e43a4076-a6f7-4b95-9256-3d6e4137d9dd

"Mitchell Moses is the key figure to the latest round of player merry-go-around negotiations.

The Eels are happy to let Moses walk and he is being hunted by both the Broncos and Warriors.

If he goes to the Warriors, it will be as the replacement for big-name halfback Shaun Johnson , who recently signed with Cronulla.

But if the Broncos snare him, that will see Brisbane utility Kodi Nikorima move to the Warriors to fill Johnson’s shoes."

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Definitely not a Johnson replacement, but his size speed and foot work could bring back some x factor we loose when Shaun goes
Dont know about size. He looks tiny to me. Not very tall and a slight build. Chanel Tevita-Harris makes him look tiny. He would get murdered in the middle on defence. Only place for him is on the wing until he bulks up...

Top Bottom