Recruitment 2019 Warriors Recruitment NEWS & RUMOUR

REPEAT OFF TOPIC OFFENDERS WILL BE BANNED FROM POSTING IN THIS THREAD.

• Total voters
Reaction score
BeastMode

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I'm sure plenty of Aussies have asked the same question about recruiting kiwis. The reality is every Aussie NRL club is here looking at players in our country , so why aren't we looking at theirs.
There’s lots of talent 13-17yrs still untouched here . Virgins practically. Plenty of fish in the sea...

Last edited:
Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
Doesn't $500K seem a lot for an unknown 19 year old. That's 1/19th of the cap (or 5%) spent on a player and you have 30 players in the squad.
Start looking at those on $500K plus in the team and maybe that's 10 players (? I couldn't even come up with 10) so 5 million of the cap goes to the top 10? Guess work here, that leaves 4.6 mill for the remaining, thats an average of $230k per player. What's minimum wage - (looked it up) $105k. So the offer is 5 times minimum wage, for an untested player.

My list of players on +$500,000
Leeson
Green
Nikorima
Blair
Tohu
RTS

is there anyone else you can think of?

Reaction score
HoRneT041

HoRneT041

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Josh Reynolds free to look for a new club- any good for us or too injury plagued/old?
Definitely got loads of guts and impact.
The good
- short kicking game and lands drop goals!👍
- Origin rep couple seasons back 👍
- with only 9 FG games in past 2 seasons he won’t be on $800k anymore 👍

The bad
- probably peaked in his hay day at the doggies
- knackered body (or is it?)
- we still have Greenie 😜

Reaction score

ArtySubs

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
The good
- short kicking game and lands drop goals!👍
- Origin rep couple seasons back 👍
- with only 9 FG games in past 2 seasons he won’t be on $800k anymore 👍

The bad
- probably peaked in his hay day at the doggies
- knackered body (or is it?)
- we still have Greenie 😜
Good points if he’s around that $350k might be a good pick up can play 9 as well.

Reaction score
wrighty

wrighty

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I'm sure plenty of Aussies have asked the same question about recruiting kiwis. The reality is every Aussie NRL club is here looking at players in our country , so why aren't we looking at theirs.
Really?
That is your answer?

Your answer is invalid at a number of academic levels and a number of pragmatic levels.
Your answer reminds of logic like "cats should chase dogs because dogs like to chase cats".
Young New Zealanders will be happy to be recruited by an Australian team but young Australians stars are unlikely to want to come to the Warriors due to a long list of very well documented reasons which I won't tell you how to suck eggs by listing.
I personally think that we are wasting everyone's time by pursuing this guy. The two reasons we landed Nikorima were a) we offered him a bundle b) he is a kiwi and doesn't regard it as a jail sentence to live in Auckland. Blake Green came here because he is not a touted future star and we offered him overs.

If this guy is a future star and wants big sponsorship deals he will stay in Australia.

Reaction score
Geoffpublic

Geoffpublic

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Why leave Australia exclusively to the Australians, leaving us to compete here with all Australian teams and the elephant in the country, NZ rugby.
Many kids playing in Australia are of New Zealand and Pacific heritage. We should at least try to sell the Auckland experience to a major talent that meets that criteria. Either when they are leaving high school or they are ready for reserve grade.
Players sometimes make decisions for emotional and family reasons.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Go to any rural school and watch the kids play Union, they are raw, but the talent is there. Unfortunately you have to get them

out of these areas, my area Gisborne is one of them.

There are too many bad influences to lead them down the wrong path with drugs and alcohol, as athletes poor nutrition holds them back as well.

Then there is the other group of people who I call enablers who make all kinds of excuses for doing and promoting bad life paths. Also, and I have actually seen this more than once, is a mindset in some families not wanting to see these kids suceed more than them.

As someone who follows Union the NZRFU has dropped the ball. They are only looking at Academies and Development teams, hence the crap u20s results. There is an opportunity to start an Training Centre with accomodation for a select group of young guys. I would also suggest education being a requirement.

My view is get them by 18, any older and they are on the spiral unless Union has them in their system.

Reaction score

Ferdie

U20's Player
Reaction score
Doesn't $500K seem a lot for an unknown 19 year old. That's 1/19th of the cap (or 5%) spent on a player and you have 30 players in the squad.
Start looking at those on $500K plus in the team and maybe that's 10 players (? I couldn't even come up with 10) so 5 million of the cap goes to the top 10? Guess work here, that leaves 4.6 mill for the remaining, thats an average of $230k per player. What's minimum wage - (looked it up) $105k. So the offer is 5 times minimum wage, for an untested player.

My list of players on +$500,000
Leeson
Green
Nikorima
Blair
Tohu
RTS

is there anyone else you can think of?
Possibly Fusitua given he re-signed towards the end of an impressive 2018 season.
I don't mind spending 500K plus on 6-8 players, I'd say this is how most clubs spend their cap - on the flip side squad members 23-30 probably only earn a combined 1 million.
Our problem is that too many of those that are earning the most are not performing consistently at a high standard (or they're injured).

Reaction score
Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Worth a $100k offer to Zac Guildford for 1 year to play centre/wing? He is unwanted by Waikato, but doesn't want to move far from home. Potentially retiring from rugby at 30 years old.

A low ball offer could be worth a potential gamble. Staying in the public domain might appeal to him

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Assistant Ballboy
Contributor
Reaction score
Worth a $100k offer to Zac Guildford for 1 year to play centre/wing? He is unwanted by Waikato, but doesn't want to move far from home. Potentially retiring from rugby at 30 years old.

A low ball offer could be worth a potential gamble. Staying in the public domain might appeal to him
He’s a solid player, I’d worry that he hasn’t played top flight for quite some time. Although it seems he’s over his troubled past it is concerning that he can’t seem to stay in a club for a year before getting moved on

Reaction score
Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
He’s a solid player, I’d worry that he hasn’t played top flight for quite some time. Although it seems he’s over his troubled past it is concerning that he can’t seem to stay in a club for a year before getting moved on
Always struck me as a Kevin Locke type. Looked like he could of been anything at first, but then the shelf-life of a rugby wing is short. I think he is quite suited to league, but haven't seen him play in several years.

Rough deal the way his dad passed...would mess anyone up

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

On compassionate leave
Reaction score
Just a reminder that this thread is for WARRIORS RECRUITMENT NEWS & RUMOURS. If its not a rumour or recruitment news, it needs to go on here:

In that thread you can discuss who we should be targetting, why why shouldnt be targetting an offcontract player, which player we can sign for 5m a season, how it wont make shit all difference etc. This thread is ONLY for WARRIORS RECRUITMENT NEWS & RUMOURS.

Top Bottom