Recruitment 2019 Warriors Recruitment NEWS & RUMOUR

Discussion in 'Warriors Discussion' started by mt.wellington, Sep 27, 2018.

1. Agree. Refer to rules on first post

91.9%
  2. Pffftt (I want a ban!)

8.1%
  1. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington Warriors Orange Peeler Contributor

2019 Warriors Recruitment NEWS & RUMOUR

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

This thread is for Warriors recruitment OFFICIAL RELEASES, NEWS, LEAKS, RUMOURS AND GOOD OIL posts relating directly to that content.

All other non related posts or those that go off on a tangent should be posted in the link below.

https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/2019-warriors-recruitment-discussion.61321/

Off topic posts will be moved or deleted at mods discretion.

REPEAT OFF TOPIC OFFENDERS WILL BE BANNED FROM POSTING IN THIS THREAD.

We make no apology for those that waste our precious time and get banned. Warnings will be issued when posts are moved...​

2. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

NRL: Issac Luke declares he wants to stay at Warriors after Newcastle Knights withdraw offer
    27 Sep, 2018 1:50pm
    Off-contract hooker Issac Luke has declared he wants to stay at the Warriors. Photo / Getty
    Re-signing with the Warriors might be Issac Luke's only option after Newcastle withdrew an offer to lure the veteran hooker across the Tasman.

The Kiwi international was weighing up whether to join the Knights next season after he met with coach Nathan Brown in Wellington two weeks ago.

Newcastle initially offered the 31-year-old a one-year contract with the club holding an option for a second year, but the deal was pulled due to concerns an upcoming shoulder operation could see Luke miss the start of next season.

The Knights are still chasing a dummy half but after losing interest in Luke have reportedly turned their attention to signing off-contract Cronulla No 9 James Segeyaro.

"The Issac Luke negotiations are dead," Knights recruitment boss Troy Pezet told the Newcastle Herald.

"There are issues in and around Issac's shoulder surgery and when he would be available and we made a decision not to pursue it."

The Warriors have been waiting patiently for Luke to make a decision on his playing future over the past two months after offering him a modest one-year deal.

Luke was hoping to secure a longer and more lucrative contract but recommitting to the Auckland-based outfit may now be the only option left on the table.

The cash-strapped Warriors have little money left to spend and are unable to increase their offer due to salary cap restrictions.

Concerns about Luke's long-term fitness may also be a factor in why they are refusing to provide him with anything more than a one-year extension.

Luke was reportedly set to go under the knife this week and there are fears he may require a shoulder reconstruction which could keep him sidelined until March next year.

The 254-game veteran has had a history of shoulder problems and was forced to miss the Warriors' round 10 loss to the Roosters after suffering a dislocation during the previous week's win over Wests Tigers.

Luke, who was nominated for the Hooker of the Year gong at last night's Dally M Awards in Sydney, declared he wanted to remain at the Warriors.

"We want to stay in New Zealand as a family, my wife and the kids," Luke told NRL.com.

"It's a pretty important couple of weeks coming up. But we'll see how that goes in the next couple of days.

"My manager is trying everything he can to get a really good contract.

"In saying that, I'm happy where I am and obviously I want to stay."

The Warriors have been hoping the matter would be resolved this week and an announcement on Luke's future is expected soon.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  3. razzrillinger
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2016

razzrillinger 1st Grade Fringe

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. to view.​

Afoa re-signs with Vodafone Warriors

The Vodafone Warriors have secured another one of their most promising players after signing front rower Bunty Afoa to the end of the 2021 NRL season.

The Point Chevalier Pirates junior and Toa Samoa international, who turned 22 just last month, is already well-established as one of the club’s first-choice forwards. He needs only six more appearances next year to reach the 50-game milestone.

Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney is thrilled to have Afoa locked in for another three seasons.

“Bunty has been terrific for us, even more so when you consider he was only 21 for almost the entire season,” he said.

“What he gives us is real consistency in effort and performance which makes him one of the most impressive young forwards in the game. He also brings a wonderful attitude in all he does as well and will improve even more.”

Another product out of the St Paul’s College nursery in Auckland, Afoa missed just two of the 25 matches in the club’s 2018 finals-qualifying campaign. He has appeared in 40 of a possible 49 matches in the last two seasons following his NRL debut in 2016.

“I love being part of this club and I’ve really enjoyed my football this year having the chance to play in the middle,” he said.

“I felt a lot more comfortable about my role whether it was coming off the bench or starting but I’ve got a lot more to learn and I want to do all I can to help the team do better next year.

“I feel blessed with the coaching staff and players I have around me to guide me."

Vodafone Warriors general manager football Brian Smith said Afoa was another vital signing as the club sought to secure the players it has developed.

“Bunty is another terrific young player who has come through our nursery,” he said.

“What he has done in such a short time in the NRL is inspirational, a fine example for all young kids in this country who have dreams of making it. He’s a pleasure to have at our club in the way he conducts himself as a footballer and in the community.

“The beauty with him is that he causes no fuss. He’s always helpful, low maintenance and very coachable.”

Afoa was used 16 times off the bench and started seven games this year. He averaged 35 minutes a game, made an average 86 metres including 33 post-contact metres and 24 tackles.

He made a club record-equalling 64 NYC appearances for the Vodafone Junior Warriors from 2014-2016 and was part of the premiership-winning side in 2016.

Bunty Afoa
    Born: August 20, 1996
    Birthplace: Auckland, NZ
    Junior Club: Point Chevalier Pirates
    Position: Prop
    Height: 188cm
    Weight: 103kg
    Rep Honours: 5 Tests for Toa Samoa (2016-2018), 2017 Rugby League World Cup
    Club and FG Debut: v Gold Coast Titans, Mount Smart Stadium, July 2, 2016 (Rd 17)
    NRL Career: 44 appearances (2016-2018)
    NRL Points: 12 (3 tries)
    Intrust Super Premiership Career: 10 appearances (2015-2017)
    Intrust Super Premiership Points: 12 points (3 tries)
    NYC Career: 64 games (2014-2016)
    NYC Points: 48 (12 tries)

• Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Bunty has been resigned.

Just heard that on newstalk zb.

Didnt say the term.

That will be where our Caps being used, upgrades.

• razzrillinger
    Join:
    Nov 8, 2016

razzrillinger 1st Grade Fringe

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view. to view.​

2018 Interchange Player of the Year secured

Utility forward Jazz Tevaga has re-signed with the Vodafone Warriors on a one-year deal for 2019 with an option for the 2020 NRL season.

The energetic back rower/hooker, who recently turned 23, has just finished his best NRL season since his 2016 debut making 20 appearances, culminating in him being named the Interchange Player of the Year at Wednesday night’s 2018 Dally M Awards.

“We’ve been really pleased with the way Jazz has developed his game this year and were thrilled when he won the Dally M interchange award this week,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Stephen Kearney.

“He was important to our success, the way he came off the bench to bring energy and toughness playing big minutes.”

The Christchurch-born, Papakura-raised Tevaga took his career tally to 35 appearances this season, averaging 56 minutes, 10 runs, 85 metres and 37 tackles a game.

“There were other offers but I love it here and always wanted to stay,” said Tevaga.

“We made progress this year. We have something to build on and I want to be part of our success next year and after that.”

Tevaga is a product of the club’s development pathways, originally picked up by the Vodafone Warriors after an under-20 open trial in 2013.

“We have a really good crop of young players making their way in the NRL,” said Vodafone Warriors general manager football Brian Smith.

“Jazz is another one of them who now joins David (Fusitua), Ken (Maumalo) and Bunty (Afoa) from that group who have re-signed.”

Tevaga became a fixture for the Vodafone Junior Warriors in 2014, going on to play at loose forward in their NYC grand final win over Brisbane when his team-mates included other current NRL squad members Nathaniel Roache, Solomone Kata, Mason Lino, Sam Lisone, James Bell, Maumalo and Afoa.

In 2015 he played another 25 games to finish his NYC career with 45 appearances, was selected for the Junior Kiwis and also made his debut in the club’s New South Wales (now Intrust Super Premiership) side.

In 2016 he made his NRL debut in the third round in a season when he mixed NRL and ISP appearances.

Last year he represented Toa Samoa at the Rugby League World Cup.

Jazz Tevaga
    Born: September 4, 1995
    Birthplace: Christchurch, NZ
    Junior Clubs: Burnham Chevaliers (Christchurch), Papakura Sea Eagles (Auckland)
    Positions: Loose forward/hooker
    Height: 178cm
    Weight: 94kg
    Rep Honours: 4 Tests for Toa Samoa (2017), Rugby League World Cup (2017), Junior Kiwis (2015)
    Club and FG Debut: v Melbourne, Mount Smart Stadium, March 23, 2016 (Rd 3)
    NRL Career: 35 appearances (2016-2018)
    NRL Points: 8 (2 tries)
    Intrust Super Premiership Career: 34 appearances (2015-2018)
    Intrust Super Premiership Points: 28 points (7 tries)
    NYC Career: 45 games (2014-2015)
    NYC Points: 40 (10 tries)

• Dunedin warrior
    Join:
    Nov 10, 2014

Dunedin warrior 1st Grade Fringe

Does that mean an option in the clubs favour or Jazz’s?

• WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

If there were other offers around it’s Interesting that the club only went after one year with an option for Jazz, I might have thought he’d be chasing some financial security with a longer term deal.

Reading between the lines the recruitment department may feel they need to see more despite the interchange player award.

• bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

SBW only signs a year at a time, but for a lot of money.

• WarriorBall
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2016

WarriorBall 1st Grade Fringe

What are you suggesting mate, we’ve thrown the chequebook at him or that he’s a supreme athelete to be likened to SBW??

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  • Tony Martin
    Join:
    Jun 4, 2016

Tony Martin 1st Grade Fringe

I would say the year would be in the clubs favour at more money than what they can currently can offer.

• perf warrior
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

perf warrior Warriors Bench Player

How good is it having Brian smith part of the organization, some really smart decisions in retaining our young talent. Jazz still has a lot to prove, think it's more A,can he back it up B, can we fit him in next year if roach plays

• Citygirl
    Join:
    May 3, 2016

Citygirl 1st Grade Fringe Contributor

What does that mean in the 'clubs favour'

• Dunedin warrior
    Join:
    Nov 10, 2014

Dunedin warrior 1st Grade Fringe

If the option is in the clubs favour they can keep him on the same contract for the next season. If the option is in Jazz’s favour he can stay or leave in the 2nd season.

• WarriorFaither
    Join:
    Jul 8, 2016

WarriorFaither Warriors Bench Player

Has anyone heard anything about the Warriors looking at Josh Cleeland from the Bulldogs as a replacement for Mason Lino.

The source from where I’ve read is anyones guess as to how reliable it is but saw it posted in a supporters group on FB that the club are keen on getting him over, thought I’d throw it up on here and see if anyone might have a bit of inside knowledge as to whether there is any truth behind it. Would be a handy pick up if true

• mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

We'll get to see what he's capable of tomorrow in the Interstate Grand Final...

• Vancent
    Join:
    Sep 10, 2012

Vancent 1st Grade Fringe

Yes please I’ll take him...

If we can get him on same or less than Mason I’m in. It sure on the defensive piece - may need a bodyguard but looks a great back up.

• WarriorFaither
    Join:
    Jul 8, 2016

WarriorFaither Warriors Bench Player

So just a little more info on the Josh Cleeland rumour. The fulla who posted about it works with Josh’s younger brother. From what he has said there has been no official discussions between the two parties but Josh has been made aware that the Warriors are interested in opening up discussions with him and bringing him over. Josh is meant to be keen to leave the Dogs as he doesn’t feel he is getting enough opportunities with them. So I’m not sure how keen he might be to come over to play second fiddle to Green and SJ, time will tell I guess as I’m sure the Warriors will be looking to secure a replacement for Lino sooner rather than later

• ArtySubs
    Join:
    Aug 29, 2016

ArtySubs 1st Grade Fringe

Sweet another one who spits the dummy when he doesn’t get picked in 1st Grade, might as well go get Ata and Tui back.
    Probably a reason he doesn’t get picked...
    Got Lawton, and everyone talks about Ponga going into halves anyone spoken to RTS about that as well? Perham would make a great replacement @ no1.
    Watching NZRL Prem on tv Willy Stowers looks like he’s worth putting effort into alongside CTH.
    Seems to me just wasting money on another NSW Cup player Ala Santo.

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  • leaguejunkie
    Join:
    Mar 20, 2016

leaguejunkie 1st Grade Fringe

Nah thanks to Cleeland. The highlights package makes him look better than he is. Unlike Lino, he's had no real standout games in first grade. Hell, for large stints of the season, the Dogs went with Frawley over the guy. That's saying something.

Dogs can keep him. He will have more chance cracking a halves spot there than anywhere else. I would rather we focus on the development of our own players.

• Paulo24
    Join:
    Mar 3, 2014

Paulo24 1st Grade Fringe

We struggle to produce Cleeland type halves. I think he would be worth a small contract.