Recruitment 2019 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Discussion in 'Warriors Discussion' started by mt.wellington, Sep 27, 2018.

1. blue bells
    Join:
    Sep 15, 2017

blue bells 1st Grade Fringe

Geez what a question as RTS is mean as but i gotta admit im a HUUUUGGGEEEE Teddy fan

2. matiunz
    Join:
    Jul 15, 2013

matiunz Assistant Ballboy Contributor

RTS seems to lift the side and has made massive improvements in his defensive game this season.
    Tedesco had a great season this year but who wouldn’t in the team the Roosters have acquired, always thought he was massively overrated at the Tigers.
    Jury is still out on Turbo, has potential but needs to maintain form over a couple of seasons

3. Jwoodzy02
    Join:
    Nov 14, 2015

Jwoodzy02 1st Grade Fringe

I think Tedesco is overrated, I've never seen a game where he's stood out

• Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  4. Defence
    Join:
    May 9, 2012

Defence 1st Grade Fringe

I reckon teddy is awesome- he did have a slow start to the year tho.
    Ponga is awesome but ended with a whimper.
    On one hand I think RTS was a bit lucky to win it because there's no way he deserved the 3 points in that last game but on the other hand.... I do think he was the most consistent fullback last year.
    Throw in the fact that he's an inspirational captain as well and I wouldn't swap him for anyone.
    (Turbo is a freak tho- could end up the best of the lot).

5. Mr Brownstone
    Join:
    Nov 9, 2014

Mr Brownstone 1st Grade Fringe

Perhaps try opening your eyes when you watch his next game

• Like Like x 9
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • List
  6. HoRneT041
    Join:
    Dec 4, 2018

HoRneT041 Warriors Bench Player

Both are x-factor players. Teddy was always classy at the tigers but gone up another level with the players around him at the Roosters. Turbo on the other hand, seems to make an impact in every game in a below par Eagles outfit, making him the more dangerous player.. IMO

7. DallyM
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2016

DallyM Warriors Bench Player

the only thing I fought lacking in RTS game last year was running straight lines and in gaps off the hips of Forwards who might get a pass away or just beating players with speed ala Tedesco and even Zelezniak

sometimes I think his step can be a crotch at times when all he needs to do is run hard and straight... I'm hoping that comes more into play this year

8. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

My point is that Johnson, Ponga and Cleary looked first grade ready in reserve grade. CTH and (presumably, I’ve never seen him play) AK weren’t being spoken about like that last season.

9. HoRneT041
    Join:
    Dec 4, 2018

That'd be awesome to see for sure! He seems to build-on each season to be a more complete player on that "elite" level, so another string to the bow..

Last year he unleashed a new defensive game of "Billy Slater" like proportions. His try saves were outstanding. If you watch some highlights, the looks of disbelief on players faces (and coaches)... priceless!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
  10. jonesy101
    Join:
    Aug 28, 2016

jonesy101 1st Grade Fringe

This is stating the obvious, but the only way we are really going to know if these players are first grade ready is by seeing how they go in first grade. Not every player is talked up from a young age. Few gave Thurston a chance to play first grade at all, most thought he was too small to make it. Harris-Tavita and Keighran have played enough reserve grade to be match conditioned, have spent the entire pre-season knowing they have a shot, lets now see if they are ready.

11. warriors4eva
    Join:
    May 21, 2012

warriors4eva 1st Grade Fringe

shit when i came on the recruitment page i thought tedesco and trbojevic were being sold as there were so many comments

RTS all day !!

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Like Like x 2
    • List
  12. Tony Martin
    Join:
    Jun 4, 2016

Tony Martin 1st Grade Fringe

I wouldn’t take anyone seriously who rates Ben hunt and Corey Norman higher than Cleary and Maloney

13. bruce
    Join:
    Sep 1, 2015

bruce Warriors 1st Grader Contributor

100% correct. What I would add to that is that regardless of their talent SJ and Ponga were standouts in poor clubs. Cleary was a standout in a club overloaded with talent in the halves, so much so that Keighran who was a standout in ISP was never likely to be written about because he was in the shade of the others.

I think the pressure of playing in the halves is such a leap between ISP and FG that we will follow Melbourne and share the work around. No problem, it worked for Melbourne, it can work for the Warriors as well.

14. HoRneT041
    Join:
    Dec 4, 2018

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

I’m sure opposite teams this year will be targeting our new halves probing for any weaknesses as they do relentlessly in this comp. Keighran for my mind, should defend pretty well in these situations.

He's fairly solid for a half and playing mostly at centre last year, should be used to the physical stuff and reading plays defensively which could be a bonus..

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  15. ryno
    Join:
    May 8, 2012

ryno 1st Grade Fringe

It’s the tactical and kicking game I am most worried about with the young halves, especially with the speed of the defences at first grade level.

If Green goes down all i see is pointless kicks giving the opposition field position, and the lack of ability to finish off our sets especially in the opposition red zone.

Hope I’m wrong, but I haven’t seen any comments about the kicking games for our young halves.

16. valpy73
    Join:
    Apr 29, 2016

valpy73 Warriors Bench Player

It seems as though we still have 3 spots still up for grabs in our 30 man squad.

Does anyone know who we would promote within to make those numbers?

17. HoRneT041
    Join:
    Dec 4, 2018

Agreed, coping with the rushing defence and getting good kicks away will only come with practice and more game time unfortunately. There's nothing worse than being on the losing end of "force back" in the NRL.

Lucky they have good mentors in the club with Stacey Jones and Green to work with regards to tactical kicking at practice sesh.

However on-field, I'm sure responsibility will be shared with Isaac Luke kicking from dummy half when Greens not there.. I heard he can kick the odd 40/20 on occasions?

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  18. WellingtonOrca
    Join:
    Aug 14, 2012

WellingtonOrca 1st Grade Fringe

That's because Cappy's master plan was to use him on the left as a third half most of the time. Hopefully the new attacking coach gives him the "license to roam"

19. wizards rage
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2016

wizards rage 1st Grade Fringe

I hear a lot of comment on the right and wrongs of our recruitment/ retention eg the way SJ was handled, etc

Comments criticise as if recruitment is black and white. In reality there’s a heap of grey. Luck, timing and salary cap along with players intentions, career pathways and personal goals all are potential issues when negotiating - mostly beyond the clubs control.

With so many factors you need to look at the big picture and with POS and the development players signed up; Corvo upskilling what we have coming through, BS planning what we need long term and Kearney setting a culture, we are setting ourselves up to have a solid SQUAD long term. I believe we are building a core of high performing players within their position so that LONG TERM we are not overly reliant on a single player.

The comp is won over years of building and developing a squad. SJ leaving is disappointing short term but is just a blip in our long term push to be competition heavy weights, that are in with a chance for a title every year.

20. AlexM
    Join:
    Feb 19, 2017

AlexM 1st Grade Fringe

Lucky we have Adam Blair , he will provide good practice for the halves in opposed sessions surely. His kick pressure is relentless