Recruitment 2019 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Reaction score

blue bells

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Who would you rather have at fullback for the Warriors? I like Turbo, but not Tedesco, but would rate neither ahead of RTS.
Geez what a question as RTS is mean as but i gotta admit im a HUUUUGGGEEEE Teddy fan

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Assistant Ballboy
Contributor
Reaction score
Who would you rather have at fullback for the Warriors? I like Turbo, but not Tedesco, but would rate neither ahead of RTS.
RTS seems to lift the side and has made massive improvements in his defensive game this season.
Tedesco had a great season this year but who wouldn’t in the team the Roosters have acquired, always thought he was massively overrated at the Tigers.
Jury is still out on Turbo, has potential but needs to maintain form over a couple of seasons

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I reckon teddy is awesome- he did have a slow start to the year tho.
Ponga is awesome but ended with a whimper.
On one hand I think rts was a bit lucky to win it because there's no way he deserved the 3 points in that last game but on the other hand.... I do think he was the most consistent fullback last year.
Throw in the fact that he's an inspirational captain as well and I wouldn't swap him for anyone.
(Turbo is a freak tho- could end up the best of the lot).

Reaction score
HoRneT041

HoRneT041

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Geez what a question as RTS is mean as but i gotta admit im a HUUUUGGGEEEE Teddy fan
Both are x-factor players. Teddy was always classy at the tigers but gone up another level with the players around him at the Roosters. Turbo on the other hand, seems to make an impact in every game in a below par Eagles outfit, making him the more dangerous player.. IMO

Reaction score
DallyM

DallyM

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
the only thing I fought lacking in RTS game last year was running straight lines and in gaps off the hips of Forwards who might get a pass away or just beating players with speed ala Tedesco and even Zelezniak

sometimes I think his step can be a crotch at times when all he needs to do is run hard and straight... I'm hoping that comes more into play this year

Reaction score
fizurg

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
last year we had SJ and Green with Lino covering.... they were all playing some good footy not perfect but got us to some much needed finals.... Lino was most likely off loaded to make way for CTH to blood him in, as he posibly has more upside so I dont know what your point is? also when SJ came to 1st grade we had Seymour who was playing shite and Isaac Johns wha wasnt much better... SJ took his chance and ran with it literally
My point is that Johnson, Ponga and Cleary looked first grade ready in reserve grade. CTH and (presumably, I’ve never seen him play) AK weren’t being spoken about like that last season.

Reaction score
HoRneT041

HoRneT041

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
the only thing I fought lacking in RTS game last year was running straight lines and in gaps off the hips of Forwards who might get a pass away or just beating players with speed ala Tedesco and even Zelezniak

sometimes I think his step can be a crotch at times when all he needs to do is run hard and straight... I'm hoping that comes more into play this year
That'd be awesome to see for sure! He seems to build-on each season to be a more complete player on that "elite" level, so another string to the bow..

Last year he unleashed a new defensive game of "Billy Slater" like proportions. His try saves were outstanding. If you watch some highlights, the looks of disbelief on players faces (and coaches)... priceless!

Last edited:
Reaction score

jonesy101

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
This is stating the obvious, but the only way we are really going to know if these players are first grade ready is by seeing how they go in first grade. Not every player is talked up from a young age. Few gave Thurston a chance to play first grade at all, most thought he was too small to make it. Harris-Tavita and Keighran have played enough reserve grade to be match conditioned, have spent the entire pre-season knowing they have a shot, lets now see if they are ready.

Reaction score
Tony Martin

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Here's the full list

1. Cooper Cronk-Luke Keary (Roosters)

While Keary dominated the try assists for the Roosters with 21 last season, it was Cronk who often positioned Keary to be able to attack with freedom throughout 2018. Look for this pair to roll on and torture the whole NRL again.

2. Mitchell Pearce-Kalyn Ponga (Knights)
Ponga's move from fullback to five-eighth is intriguing. I haven't been excited about a player switching positions since Darren Lockyer. Pearce bounced back from his exit from the Roosters and apart from injury was dominant for the Knights in his first year at the club. I'll be watching closely to see how Ponga adjusts his kicking game in tight contests.

3. Adam Reynolds-Cody Walker (Rabbitohs)
Walker and Reynolds complement each other well but it was a failure to adapt the game plan last year when Plan A wasn't working in the big games that cost them. I look forward to Reynolds running the ball more.

4. Ben Hunt-Corey Norman (Dragons)
Hunt will steer the team around enough and put Norman in position to link with Gareth Widdop, who looks dangerous as a fullback option. I'll be keeping an eye on if it goes sour early as this new combo may take time.

5. Nathan Cleary-James Maloney (Panthers)
These two combined for only 19 try assists in 2018 but it's the big-game experience Nathan has seen at State of Origin level combined with Mr Experience himself in Maloney that could see them make the biggest jump from now until September. Cleary will need to bounce out of Origin better this year.

6. Daly Cherry-Evans-Kane Elgey (Sea Eagles)
DCE is the Pied Piper for the Manly team and how he goes will shape how they'll go. Elgey struggled at the Titans so I'm looking for him to be able to relax and play footy while letting DCE steer the team around.

7. Chad Townsend-Shaun Johnson (Sharks)
Townsend and Matt Moylan had a combined 30 try assists last year and I thought showed some real promise with the partnership blossoming. With Moylan switching to fullback this year, Johnson brings an ad lib style that will complement Townsend and his consistent game.

8. Anthony Milford-Kodi Nikorima (Broncos)
The most interesting pair in this list, who actually had some really good stats in 2018. Their kicking game and decision-making when games get tight continue to be their Achilles heel for me. They have the forward pack and all the talent. Milford is the key.

9. Ash Taylor-Tyrone Peachey (Titans)
Taylor had a big year individually in 2018. I look for Peachey to be the perfect foil for Taylor; a running five-eighth who makes things happen. If they go with Tyrone Roberts he and Taylor love playing together.

10. Luke Brooks-Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers)
Brooks had his best year in the NRL despite not having a regular halves partner in 2018. If Benji can stay fit I expect Brooks to continue to raise his game. He seems to love having Benji play alongside him as the security blanket to help steer the team.

11. Brodie Croft-Cameron Munster (Storm)
Croft settled late last year and looked good. Cam Smith will direct the traffic which should allow Croft and Munster to continue to play footy. They have no Billy Slater out the back of all the plays now which pushes this combo down my rankings to start the year.

12. Michael Morgan-Jake Clifford (Cowboys)
Morgan is under the most pressure to get it right from the start. Look for him to be very hands-on early to start the year. Clifford or Te Maire Martin will partner Morgan and the two have differing styles. Clifford is a footballer who has finesse and has a great kicking game. Martin is a competitor and will be solid in defence.

13. Kieran Foran-Lachlan Lewis (Bulldogs)
Foran needs to be fit and running the ball to help Lewis in year two. I worry that neither of these two has a strong kicking game, although Lewis does have an accurate short kicking game.

14. Aidan Sezer-Jack Wighton (Raiders)
Sezer has to be the man every game with Wighton adjusting to the new halves role. Wighton will run the ball and compete but it won't help if Sezer can't direct the team and close out games. Sam Williams will be champing at the bit at the first sign of trouble with this combination.

15. Blake Green-Chanel Tevita-Harris (Warriors)
Green will have to be patient and I would love to see him in the No.7 until Tevita-Harris feels comfortable. This kid can play but it will take time. The steady hand of Green is the perfect fit. Adam Keighran is the other option to replace Shaun Johnson in the Warriors line-up.

16. Mitch Moses-Dylan Brown (Eels)
Sorry, Eels fans but this is a rebuilding year after last season's wooden spoon. Moses has the keys to the car now so I expect him to dominate and direct the team in 2019. His form and body language will be so important in allowing 18-year-old Brown to grow into learning to be a first-grader.
I wouldn’t take anyone seriously who rates Ben hunt and Corey Norman higher than Cleary and Maloney

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
My point is that Johnson, Ponga and Cleary looked first grade ready in reserve grade. CTH and (presumably, I’ve never seen him play) AK weren’t being spoken about like that last season.
100% correct. What I would add to that is that regardless of their talent SJ and Ponga were standouts in poor clubs. Cleary was a standout in a club overloaded with talent in the halves, so much so that Keighran who was a standout in ISP was never likely to be written about because he was in the shade of the others.

Harris-Tavita and Keighran have played enough reserve grade to be match conditioned, have spent the entire pre-season knowing they have a shot, lets now see if they are ready.
I think the pressure of playing in the halves is such a leap between ISP and FG that we will follow Melbourne and share the work around. No problem, it worked for Melbourne, it can work for the Warriors as well.

Reaction score
HoRneT041

HoRneT041

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
IMG_2271.jpg

I’m sure opposite teams this year will be targeting our new halves probing for any weaknesses as they do relentlessly in this comp. Keighran for my mind, should defend pretty well in these situations.

He's fairly solid for a half and playing mostly at centre last year, should be used to the physical stuff and reading plays defensively which could be a bonus..

Attachments

Last edited:
Reaction score
ryno

ryno

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It’s the tactical and kicking game I am most worried about with the young halves, especially with the speed of the defences at first grade level.

If Green goes down all i see is pointless kicks giving the opposition field position, and the lack of ability to finish off our sets especially in the opposition red zone.

Hope I’m wrong, but I haven’t seen any comments about the kicking games for our young halves.

Reaction score

valpy73

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
It seems as though we still have 3 spots still up for grabs in our 30 man squad.

Does anyone know who we would promote within to make those numbers?

Reaction score
HoRneT041

HoRneT041

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
It’s the tactical and kicking game I am most worried about with the young halves, especially with the speed of the defences at first grade level.

If Green goes down all i see is pointless kicks giving the opposition field position, and the lack of ability to finish off our sets especially in the opposition red zone.

Hope I’m wrong, but I haven’t seen any comments about the kicking games for our young halves.
Agreed, coping with the rushing defence and getting good kicks away will only come with practice and more game time unfortunately. There's nothing worse than being on the losing end of "force back" in the NRL.

Lucky they have good mentors in the club with Stacey Jones and Green to work with regards to tactical kicking at practice sesh.

However on-field, I'm sure responsibility will be shared with Isaac Luke kicking from dummy half when Greens not there.. I heard he can kick the odd 40/20 on occasions?

Last edited:
Reaction score
WellingtonOrca

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
That's because Cappy's master plan was to use him on the left as a third half most of the time. Hopefully the new attacking coach gives him the "license to roam"

Reaction score
wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I hear a lot of comment on the right and wrongs of our recruitment/ retention eg the way SJ was handled, etc

Comments criticise as if recruitment is black and white. In reality there’s a heap of grey. Luck, timing and salary cap along with players intentions, career pathways and personal goals all are potential issues when negotiating - mostly beyond the clubs control.

With so many factors you need to look at the big picture and with POS and the development players signed up; Corvo upskilling what we have coming through, BS planning what we need long term and Kearney setting a culture, we are setting ourselves up to have a solid SQUAD long term. I believe we are building a core of high performing players within their position so that LONG TERM we are not overly reliant on a single player.

The comp is won over years of building and developing a squad. SJ leaving is disappointing short term but is just a blip in our long term push to be competition heavy weights, that are in with a chance for a title every year.

Reaction score
AlexM

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Agreed, coping with the rushing defence and getting good kicks away will only come with practice and more game time unfortunately. There's nothing worse than being on the losing end of "force back" in the NRL.

Lucky they have good mentors in the club with Stacey Jones and Green to work with regards to tactical kicking at practice sesh.

However on-field, I'm sure responsibility will be shared with Isaac Luke kicking from dummy half when Greens not there.. I heard he can kick the odd 40/20 on occasions?
Lucky we have Adam Blair , he will provide good practice for the halves in opposed sessions surely. His kick pressure is relentless

Top Bottom