Recruitment 2019 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Reaction score

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Well at least Soward is sitting on the fence with this one - “Second worst halves pairing in NRL”
Where would everyone rank our halves vs the rest of the comp? Difficult exercise given at least one of them will have never played first grade before. Agreed Soward is a fairly ordinary judge however is 15th roughly fair at this point? It doesn't seem unreasonable to me.

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Here's the full list

1. Cooper Cronk-Luke Keary (Roosters)

While Keary dominated the try assists for the Roosters with 21 last season, it was Cronk who often positioned Keary to be able to attack with freedom throughout 2018. Look for this pair to roll on and torture the whole NRL again.

2. Mitchell Pearce-Kalyn Ponga (Knights)
Ponga's move from fullback to five-eighth is intriguing. I haven't been excited about a player switching positions since Darren Lockyer. Pearce bounced back from his exit from the Roosters and apart from injury was dominant for the Knights in his first year at the club. I'll be watching closely to see how Ponga adjusts his kicking game in tight contests.

3. Adam Reynolds-Cody Walker (Rabbitohs)
Walker and Reynolds complement each other well but it was a failure to adapt the game plan last year when Plan A wasn't working in the big games that cost them. I look forward to Reynolds running the ball more.

4. Ben Hunt-Corey Norman (Dragons)
Hunt will steer the team around enough and put Norman in position to link with Gareth Widdop, who looks dangerous as a fullback option. I'll be keeping an eye on if it goes sour early as this new combo may take time.

5. Nathan Cleary-James Maloney (Panthers)
These two combined for only 19 try assists in 2018 but it's the big-game experience Nathan has seen at State of Origin level combined with Mr Experience himself in Maloney that could see them make the biggest jump from now until September. Cleary will need to bounce out of Origin better this year.

6. Daly Cherry-Evans-Kane Elgey (Sea Eagles)
DCE is the Pied Piper for the Manly team and how he goes will shape how they'll go. Elgey struggled at the Titans so I'm looking for him to be able to relax and play footy while letting DCE steer the team around.

7. Chad Townsend-Shaun Johnson (Sharks)
Townsend and Matt Moylan had a combined 30 try assists last year and I thought showed some real promise with the partnership blossoming. With Moylan switching to fullback this year, Johnson brings an ad lib style that will complement Townsend and his consistent game.

8. Anthony Milford-Kodi Nikorima (Broncos)
The most interesting pair in this list, who actually had some really good stats in 2018. Their kicking game and decision-making when games get tight continue to be their Achilles heel for me. They have the forward pack and all the talent. Milford is the key.

9. Ash Taylor-Tyrone Peachey (Titans)
Taylor had a big year individually in 2018. I look for Peachey to be the perfect foil for Taylor; a running five-eighth who makes things happen. If they go with Tyrone Roberts he and Taylor love playing together.

10. Luke Brooks-Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers)
Brooks had his best year in the NRL despite not having a regular halves partner in 2018. If Benji can stay fit I expect Brooks to continue to raise his game. He seems to love having Benji play alongside him as the security blanket to help steer the team.

11. Brodie Croft-Cameron Munster (Storm)
Croft settled late last year and looked good. Cam Smith will direct the traffic which should allow Croft and Munster to continue to play footy. They have no Billy Slater out the back of all the plays now which pushes this combo down my rankings to start the year.

12. Michael Morgan-Jake Clifford (Cowboys)
Morgan is under the most pressure to get it right from the start. Look for him to be very hands-on early to start the year. Clifford or Te Maire Martin will partner Morgan and the two have differing styles. Clifford is a footballer who has finesse and has a great kicking game. Martin is a competitor and will be solid in defence.

13. Kieran Foran-Lachlan Lewis (Bulldogs)
Foran needs to be fit and running the ball to help Lewis in year two. I worry that neither of these two has a strong kicking game, although Lewis does have an accurate short kicking game.

14. Aidan Sezer-Jack Wighton (Raiders)
Sezer has to be the man every game with Wighton adjusting to the new halves role. Wighton will run the ball and compete but it won't help if Sezer can't direct the team and close out games. Sam Williams will be champing at the bit at the first sign of trouble with this combination.

15. Blake Green-Chanel Tevita-Harris (Warriors)
Green will have to be patient and I would love to see him in the No.7 until Tevita-Harris feels comfortable. This kid can play but it will take time. The steady hand of Green is the perfect fit. Adam Keighran is the other option to replace Shaun Johnson in the Warriors line-up.

16. Mitch Moses-Dylan Brown (Eels)
Sorry, Eels fans but this is a rebuilding year after last season's wooden spoon. Moses has the keys to the car now so I expect him to dominate and direct the team in 2019. His form and body language will be so important in allowing 18-year-old Brown to grow into learning to be a first-grader.

Reaction score
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Soward basing his power rankings off the 5 minutes of highlights of warriors games he’s watched over the years... lucky nobody cares what he thinks!

Australians never rate anyone other than their own, it’s in their DNA. Let’s see how things turn out.

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Where would everyone rank our halves vs the rest of the comp? Difficult exercise given at least one of them will have never played first grade before. Agreed Soward is a fairly ordinary judge however is 15th roughly fair at this point? It doesn't seem unreasonable to me.
I think it's fair enough.
On the bright side tho... if u look at the spine as a whole

Rts
Cth/ Ak
Green
Luke

That would stack up with most teams imo.

Reaction score

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I think it's fair enough.
On the bright side tho... if u look at the spine as a whole

Rts
Cth/ Ak
Green
Luke

That would stack up with most teams imo.
If Luke's shoulder is good to go then our overall spine is clearly higher up the pecking order than our halves in isolation. However even then I wouldn't have us top 8. I know most on here will disagree with me however I'd only have RTS 3rd amongst fullbacks.

Reaction score
zaggo

zaggo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I know most on here will disagree with me however I'd only have RTS 3rd amongst fullbacks.
Who do you have at #1 and #2? Tedesco a given, but then not sure if you'd be putting someone like Ponga or Tommy Turbo up there?

Reaction score
HoRneT041

HoRneT041

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Here's the full list

1. Cooper Cronk-Luke Keary (Roosters)

While Keary dominated the try assists for the Roosters with 21 last season, it was Cronk who often positioned Keary to be able to attack with freedom throughout 2018. Look for this pair to roll on and torture the whole NRL again.

2. Mitchell Pearce-Kalyn Ponga (Knights)
Ponga's move from fullback to five-eighth is intriguing. I haven't been excited about a player switching positions since Darren Lockyer. Pearce bounced back from his exit from the Roosters and apart from injury was dominant for the Knights in his first year at the club. I'll be watching closely to see how Ponga adjusts his kicking game in tight contests.

3. Adam Reynolds-Cody Walker (Rabbitohs)
Walker and Reynolds complement each other well but it was a failure to adapt the game plan last year when Plan A wasn't working in the big games that cost them. I look forward to Reynolds running the ball more.

4. Ben Hunt-Corey Norman (Dragons)
Hunt will steer the team around enough and put Norman in position to link with Gareth Widdop, who looks dangerous as a fullback option. I'll be keeping an eye on if it goes sour early as this new combo may take time.

5. Nathan Cleary-James Maloney (Panthers)
These two combined for only 19 try assists in 2018 but it's the big-game experience Nathan has seen at State of Origin level combined with Mr Experience himself in Maloney that could see them make the biggest jump from now until September. Cleary will need to bounce out of Origin better this year.

6. Daly Cherry-Evans-Kane Elgey (Sea Eagles)
DCE is the Pied Piper for the Manly team and how he goes will shape how they'll go. Elgey struggled at the Titans so I'm looking for him to be able to relax and play footy while letting DCE steer the team around.

7. Chad Townsend-Shaun Johnson (Sharks)
Townsend and Matt Moylan had a combined 30 try assists last year and I thought showed some real promise with the partnership blossoming. With Moylan switching to fullback this year, Johnson brings an ad lib style that will complement Townsend and his consistent game.

8. Anthony Milford-Kodi Nikorima (Broncos)
The most interesting pair in this list, who actually had some really good stats in 2018. Their kicking game and decision-making when games get tight continue to be their Achilles heel for me. They have the forward pack and all the talent. Milford is the key.

9. Ash Taylor-Tyrone Peachey (Titans)
Taylor had a big year individually in 2018. I look for Peachey to be the perfect foil for Taylor; a running five-eighth who makes things happen. If they go with Tyrone Roberts he and Taylor love playing together.

10. Luke Brooks-Benji Marshall (Wests Tigers)
Brooks had his best year in the NRL despite not having a regular halves partner in 2018. If Benji can stay fit I expect Brooks to continue to raise his game. He seems to love having Benji play alongside him as the security blanket to help steer the team.

Croft settled late last year and looked good. Cam Smith will direct the traffic which should allow Croft and Munster to continue to play footy. They have no Billy Slater out the back of all the plays now which pushes this combo down my rankings to start the year.

12. Michael Morgan-Jake Clifford (Cowboys)
Morgan is under the most pressure to get it right from the start. Look for him to be very hands-on early to start the year. Clifford or Te Maire Martin will partner Morgan and the two have differing styles. Clifford is a footballer who has finesse and has a great kicking game. Martin is a competitor and will be solid in defence.

13. Kieran Foran-Lachlan Lewis (Bulldogs)
Foran needs to be fit and running the ball to help Lewis in year two. I worry that neither of these two has a strong kicking game, although Lewis does have an accurate short kicking game.

14. Aidan Sezer-Jack Wighton (Raiders)
Sezer has to be the man every game with Wighton adjusting to the new halves role. Wighton will run the ball and compete but it won't help if Sezer can't direct the team and close out games. Sam Williams will be champing at the bit at the first sign of trouble with this combination.

15. Blake Green-Chanel Tevita-Harris (Warriors)
Green will have to be patient and I would love to see him in the No.7 until Tevita-Harris feels comfortable. This kid can play but it will take time. The steady hand of Green is the perfect fit. Adam Keighran is the other option to replace Shaun Johnson in the Warriors line-up.

16. Mitch Moses-Dylan Brown (Eels)
Sorry, Eels fans but this is a rebuilding year after last season's wooden spoon. Moses has the keys to the car now so I expect him to dominate and direct the team in 2019. His form and body language will be so important in allowing 18-year-old Brown to grow into learning to be a first-grader.

If our halves combination this season can hold their own against these clearly more experienced (and expensive!) pairings, than "dollar for dollar" ours will sit near the top..

Reaction score

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Who do you have at #1 and #2? Tedesco a given, but then not sure if you'd be putting someone like Ponga or Tommy Turbo up there?
Yeah Tedesco and Turbo. If Ponga was playing fullback this year then I'd have him there as well - he's probably on his way to being the best player in the NRL. Anyway not on topic now, the main point I'm trying to circle back to is that with SJ's freed up cash still sitting in the piggy bank I think we all need to go into 2019 with realistic expectations. If we can somehow make the top 8 despite a clear net-negative recruitment drive then it will be an incredible effort.

Reaction score
HoRneT041

HoRneT041

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Yeah Tedesco and Turbo. If Ponga was playing fullback this year then I'd have him there as well - he's probably on his way to being the best player in the NRL. Anyway not on topic now, the main point I'm trying to circle back to is that with SJ's freed up cash still sitting in the piggy bank I think we all need to go into 2019 with realistic expectations. If we can somehow make the top 8 despite a clear net-negative recruitment drive then it will be an incredible effort.
The Knights, Gold Coast and Cowboys will make competition for top 8 spots even harder this year after missing out and recruiting hard, an 8 spot this year will be more like making the top 4 of previous years!

Last edited:
Reaction score

ArtySubs

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
How can Pearce-Ponga be ranked 2nd when Ponga has never played there?
Sowards an idiot.
Is it just me but does anyone else get the feeling AK may be the next Moloney...I’m hoping he gets first crack.

Reaction score

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
How can Pearce-Ponga be ranked 2nd when Ponga has never played there?
Sowards an idiot.
Is it just me but does anyone else get the feeling AK may be the next Moloney...I’m hoping he gets first crack.
It was a long time ago now however if my memory serves me correctly, James Maloney was the talk of preseason in his first year with us, an absolute standout who went from a virtual unknown to a must pick at standoff. I'm not sure we're hearing that sort of talk with the rookie halves this time round.

Reaction score
fizurg

fizurg

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
It was a long time ago now however if my memory serves me correctly, James Maloney was the talk of preseason in his first year with us, an absolute standout who went from a virtual unknown to a must pick at standoff. I'm not sure we're hearing that sort of talk with the rookie halves this time round.
That’s what gets me when people say players like Ponga and Cleary have managed the transition to NRL so young. Both those players got their shot at the NRL by demanding it through reserve grade performances. Shaun Johnson was the same. He was so good the coach’s had to justify not selecting him at the time.
I can’t remember many people suggesting playing CTH in first grade last year and if AK came to the Warriors then I can’t imagine his managers phone was running hot with first grade contracts from other teams.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
With Moylan switching to fullback this year, Johnson brings an ad lib style that will complement Townsend and his consistent game.
Johnson and Chad didn't do much with the Warriors, not their fault, but with the changes the Warriors have made all over the field any half decent half should be able to go ok.
That’s what gets me when people say players like Ponga and Cleary have managed the transition to NRL so young. Both those players got their shot at the NRL by demanding it through reserve grade performances. Shaun Johnson was the same. He was so good the coach’s had to justify not selecting him at the time.
Sure SJ had some special skills but he didn't have a lot to beat to get a first grade spot did he?
The Warriors are copying Melbourne in just about everything. Neither Croft nor Munster was any sort of replacement for Cronk or Widdop, nothing near and look how they fared. The good news is they will only get better and they have salary cap to spare for other positions. Bully and Blake on the field at the same time will help any newbie. So no need for the Jonestown Koolaid.

Reaction score

Warrior2017

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I can’t remember many people suggesting playing CTH in first grade last year and if AK came to the Warriors then I can’t imagine his managers phone was running hot with first grade contracts from other teams.
last year we had SJ and Green with Lino covering.... they were all playing some good footy not perfect but got us to some much needed finals.... Lino was most likely off loaded to make way for CTH to blood him in, as he posibly has more upside so I dont know what your point is? also when SJ came to 1st grade we had Seymour who was playing shite and Isaac Johns wha wasnt much better... SJ took his chance and ran with it literally

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
If Luke's shoulder is good to go then our overall spine is clearly higher up the pecking order than our halves in isolation. However even then I wouldn't have us top 8. I know most on here will disagree with me however I'd only have RTS 3rd amongst fullbacks.
Who would you rather have at fullback for the Warriors? I like Turbo, but not Tedesco, but would rate neither ahead of RTS.

Reaction score

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Who would you rather have at fullback for the Warriors? I like Turbo, but not Tedesco, but would rate neither ahead of RTS.
All three average around the same running metres per game however Tedesco and Turbo have superior all round attacking games and in particular playmaking ability and that's what I fear the Warriors are lacking. I'd take both over RTS and if I had to choose between the two then possibly Turbo given he's only 22. However, it's ridiculous to even be discussing this given RTS is our best player and the very least of our problems (of course he's a major asset and not a problem at all!!!).

Top Bottom