Recruitment 2019 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Reaction score

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Totally Agree

Not to forget we lost games we should have won which could have seen us minor premiers
Not to forget we won a few games without Shaun
Not to forget we overcome a few of our hoodoos
Not to forget we were top of the ladder even for a day or two???
Not to forget the time we spent in the top 4
Not to forget the time we spent in the top 8

Looking back at that list I can say I've enjoyed our season for a change.
Even though we only lasted a week the goal was to make it to finals footy for mine.
Any further would have been a bonus.

What exactly do you think it is we need now that the lads have had a full season together?

For mine,
One thing we'll agree on is the need to learn to play at another level so maybe confidence and trust?
Just give me some proper attacking structure and we'll see a difference imo.

Our attack scared nobody with its pedestrian sideways shuffling, with SJ and RTS largely limited to their sides of the field, and less support than an absentee parent.

If we are to improve it has to come with better attack. In the games we attacked on we also defended reasonably well. It was the games we got grounded down and behind on the scoreboard that we ended up getting blown out in. On those occasions both teams new we didn't have the points in us to comeback.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Was at the TOA Samoa v Kiwis U18 game in Takanini. The Warriors recruitment brains trust was there. Brian Smith, Peter O'Sullivan and Jordan Friend. Also saw a number of other scouts from the Bulldogs, Storm and Raiders. Quite a few of the players were already signed to teams with TOA flying in players from Australia...

20181006_131641.jpg

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Was at the TOA Samoa v Kiwis U18 game in Takanini. The Warriors recruitment brains trust was there. Brian Smith, Peter O'Sullivan and Jordan Friend. Also saw a number of other scouts from the Bulldogs, Storm and Raiders. Quite a few of the players were already signed to teams with TOA flying in players from Australia...

Glad to hear TOA raiding the Aussies, just leave the Kiwis alone eh;)

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Glad to hear TOA raiding the Aussies, just leave the Kiwis alone eh;)
Was quite a few Kiwis playing for TOA. Even some of the Aussie contingent were born here...

TOA-SAMOA-U18-TEST-SQUAD.jpg

Reaction score

ForTheLoveOfGod

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Kakoi Togoiu - What a prospect for the Warriors- BEAST!!!!

Reaction score
Swanley

Swanley

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Can I just say, how refreshing and pleasing it is to hear Brian Smith talk about recruitment etc. I guess along with Corvo, his signing looks to be very astute by the club. I'd like to know how long it is before Peter O'Sullivan also produces a little gem for us.

I guess but can someone please confirm, does he also scout over in Oz?

Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Can I just say, how refreshing and pleasing it is to hear Brian Smith talk about recruitment etc. I guess along with Corvo, his signing looks to be very astute by the club. I'd like to know how long it is before Peter O'Sullivan also produces a little gem for us.

I'd imagine 2-3 years most likely. Although the Fijian kid that was mentioned here looks like a fucking weapon - was he an O'Sully pick up?

Reaction score

Paulo24

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s extremely difficult to find a good talent spotter, however you need to have one that knows you have to go all in for the kids you want. It seems the warriors of the past have just offered mediocre contracts thinking they are the dream team for our kiwi kids. You can’t leave any room and must go all in for the best kids and even pay a little overs at times. That’s how teams like the roosters get who they want. This is where Peter O’Sullivan excelled with the paper bags from the storm and the roosters.

Reaction score
Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I don’t think it’s extremely difficult to find a good talent spotter, however you need to have one that knows you have to go all in for the kids you want. It seems the warriors of the past have just offered mediocre contracts thinking they are the dream team for our kiwi kids. You can’t leave any room and must go all in for the best kids and even pay a little overs at times. That’s how teams like the roosters get who they want. This is where Peter O’Sullivan excelled with the paper bags from the storm and the roosters.
I'd be quite proud if we got us a sombrero and some brown paper bags. But getting RTS SJ BULLY AND FORAN must have been done with ring paper coz it turned out shit.

Reaction score
razzrillinger

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I think it's really important to be able to pick from a group of good players, which ones have what it takes to kick on and play regular first grade.

They may not necessarily be the ones demanding the most money.

Taukeiaho is a great example of somebody who has kicked on and become a really good player. And he's probably still on quite a modest contract.

Reaction score

Paulo24

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Yes, that's true, the modest players don't demand as much and there's often less fanfare about them, but not the stars. Shaun Johnson , SBW, RTS, everybody could see how good they were at a young age. We need to go hard for our share of the gems as we have some great young talent in NZ. My point is, in the past we have been a bit passive it seems, let's give POS what he needs to get the job done. We let Taukeiaho go (I thought he was talented like most of us I'm sure), but we would be dreaming if we thought he wasn't getting paid well with perks from uncle Nick and at least one TPA.

Reaction score
razzrillinger

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Yes, that's true, the modest players don't demand as much and there's often less fanfare about them, but not the stars. Shaun Johnson, SBW, RTS, everybody could see how good they were at a young age. We need to go hard for our share of the gems as we have some great young talent in NZ. My point is, in the past we have been a bit passive it seems, let's give POS what he needs to get the job done. We let Taukeiaho go (I thought he was talented like most of us I'm sure), but we would be dreaming if we thought he wasn't getting paid well with perks from uncle Nick and at least one TPA.
I think in the last couple of years we have been pretty good with not automatically re-signing older players and putting our money and confidence in the younger players coming through.

In the past I can see players like Vatuvei, Hoffman, Lillyman, Thompson, Matulino (who were all arguably past their best when they left) getting big deals and staying. Which right now would mean the club would have potentially missed out on keeping guys like Fusitu'a, Afoa, Papali'i.

Will be interesting to see what the club offers SJ next time around. Bear in mind that other clubs can (openly) start offering him deals in 3 weeks time.

Reaction score
Tony Martin

Tony Martin

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

Did anyone stand out to you? I streamed the first half and it was very hard to watch. Christian tuipolutu didnt look that big especially compared to that backrower who was inside him.

Reaction score

Paulo24

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I think in the last couple of years we have been pretty good with not automatically re-signing older players and putting our money and confidence in the younger players coming through.

In the past I can see players like Vatuvei, Hoffman, Lillyman, Thompson, Matulino (who were all arguably past their best when they left) getting big deals and staying. Which right now would mean the club would have potentially missed out on keeping guys like Fusitu'a, Afoa, Papali'i.

Will be interesting to see what the club offers SJ next time around. Bear in mind that other clubs can (openly) start offering him deals in 3 weeks time.
True regarding those guys. Manu was bigger than the club in many of our communities and Kearney got rid of him. Ben was our big man and We moved him on. Great moves, and they were hard ones too. Hopefully we got some beasts coming through.

I watched an old game and noticed Awen, Logan Swann, Ali, Sione faumaunia and others were long and athletic. Dynamic and aggressive, ball players, (ok maybe Logan wasn’t dynamic) hopefully we have more of these type of guys coming through. With an aggressive animal or two!

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Yes. 100%. Already murmurs of parents wanting to send kids to Australia as O'Sullivan is looking to import juniors making the chase for the limited spots even smaller for home grown talent. Could easily be a double edged sword but we must retain the very best. Be interesting to see if anyone from Oz makes the big move in the opposite direction...

Did anyone stand out to you? I streamed the first half and it was very hard to watch. Christian tuipolutu didnt look that big especially compared to that backrower who was inside him.
Didn't have a team list on me sorry so didn't know who was who...

Reaction score
95 'til infinity

95 'til infinity

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Thought the Toa #11 Devontai Seumanutafa was a standout...strong carries and played long minutes for a big man too. Wasn't too familiar with the Kiwi boys but the tall lanky backrower had a classy look about him, pretty skillful with ball in hand.

Reaction score

Juno

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Just give me some proper attacking structure and we'll see a difference imo.

Our attack scared nobody with its pedestrian sideways shuffling, with SJ and RTS largely limited to their sides of the field, and less support than an absentee parent.

If we are to improve it has to come with better attack. In the games we attacked on we also defended reasonably well. It was the games we got grounded down and behind on the scoreboard that we ended up getting blown out in. On those occasions both teams new we didn't have the points in us to comeback.
That's down to Cappy and the little general who were the attack coaches. I heard some murmurs in the pre-season that Cappy's approach was one-dimensional so hopefully that all changes from now. I agree that improving attack is a must to compliment the defensive efforts of 2018 with innovative ball-playing in 2019 to make the diffence. Both sides of the field!
I'm sure that will be a focus alongside consolidation of defensive gains. Bring on 2019

Top Bottom