Recruitment 2019 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Fazz

Fazz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I see Lewis Brown seems to hanging around in NZ and according to ZeroTackle has been released by Manly.

Any chance he could pop up at the club on a minimum wage contract?
Hard pass. He's pretty rubbish these days and he'll no doubt wind up on the bench at the expense of Pulu or Papa, I guarantee it.

Reaction score

Dunedin warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I like the idea of Lewis Brown doing what the likes of Ali and George Carmont did and play ISP. Hard worker with a positive attitude and would be a great influence on the youngsters coming through.

Couldn’t really see him playing nrl when we already have Jazz as a small back rower who is a makeshift hooker.

Reaction score

ForTheLoveOfGod

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Like how the broncos signed 18 year old Payne haas to a huge 3.5 million dollar 6 year deal after he played 3 first grade games? Is that a performance based year by year deal? Who are these players on performance based year by year deals? And why are we using Brisbane as such a measuring stick for success? they haven’t won a premiership in well over a decade despite having massive advantages over almost every other club in the comp, they’re the only team in a city of 2 million league mad supporters with massive corporate backing
When was the last time the Broncos missed the finals? :) One of the most consistent high achieving clubs of all time right?

Haas is a freak player but the truth is what is reported in the media is the full potential value worth of the deal not the actual 100% payout. It will be performance-based and it was rise in tiers year by year based on performance criteria being achieved. Broncos are not stupid, the majority of all players on big coin these days are on performance-based contracts. Its teams like Knights, Warriors, Titans, Tigers, Raiders who spent promised lump sums to get hold of a player or keep a player. Hopefully, those days are gone for the Warriors as evidence by Brian Smith.

Reaction score

Magic Johnson

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
When was the last time the Broncos missed the finals? :) One of the most consistent high achieving clubs of all time right?

Haas is a freak player but the truth is what is reported in the media is the full potential value worth of the deal not the actual 100% payout. It will be performance-based and it was rise in tiers year by year based on performance criteria being achieved. Broncos are not stupid, the majority of all players on big coin these days are on performance-based contracts. Its teams like Knights, Warriors, Titans, Tigers, Raiders who spent promised lump sums to get hold of a player or keep a player. Hopefully, those days are gone for the Warriors as evidence by Brian Smith.
Premierships are the measure of success not making the top 8 of a 16 team comp, that’s slightly above mediocrity, i’d Be absolutely staggered if any decent player or player manager for that fact signed a contract like how you are describing, putting there income/livelihood in jeopardy with one bad injury/season, Managers and top level talent negiotiate what they are worth and usually in excess of that, how do you figure players are Signing deals like this?
Can you imagine if we offered a deal like this to RTS? He’d tell Us to stick it where the sun doesn’t shine and go and collect close to a million a year from probably his choice of about half a dozen clubs

Reaction score
razzrillinger

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Premierships are the measure of success not making the top 8 of a 16 team comp, that’s slightly above mediocrity,
That's an interesting point. Would fans/sponsors rather support a team that made the top 8 every year and didn't win a comp for a 10 year stretch or a team that only made the 8 once but won the comp that 1 time.

The fans would want the win and the sponsors would want the consistency.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
I was reading comment by the English scribe Stuart Barnes, a top goalkicker in his day, that Beuden Barrett will never be a reliable goalkicker because of his temperament i.e. he is outstanding at making quick decisions on attack. Barnes claims that type of player lacks the composure necessary for pressure goal kicks. He claims the All Blacks are prepared to risk that because he has so many tries in him. I got to thinking if the same applies to SJ. He is not a good enough goal kicker for a top team but his skill on attack is immensely valuable to the side. How are our goalkicking stocks?

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
I was reading comment by the English scribe Stuart Barnes, a top goalkicker in his day, that Beuden Barrett will never be a reliable goalkicker because of his temperament i.e. he is outstanding at making quick decisions on attack. Barnes claims that type of player lacks the composure necessary for pressure goal kicks. He claims the All Blacks are prepared to risk that because he has so many tries in him. I got to thinking if the same applies to SJ. He is not a good enough goal kicker for a top team but his skill on attack is immensely valuable to the side. How are our goalkicking stocks?
Shaun Johnson was handpicked by Daryl Halligan after assessing the whole team. That was back in 2015 so I'm not sure if anyone else is better? Think Issac Luke would be NIL...

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
[QUOTE="bruce, post: 747685, member: 4517"How are our goalkicking stocks?[/QUOTE]

Good point, looking at current 1st grade players there is only Issac Luke as a genuine back up. Kata has had a kick as has Ken.

Need some back up as SJ Will be injured throughout the year as will Luke, late start in 2019 plus could be playing less mins next year.

Maybe Lino’s replacement will kick? CTH can kick but still a year or two away from 1st grade.

Perhaps time to develop a regular first grader as a back up? Call Halligan.

Stop press: Paddy Ah Van’s Widnes side have been dropped from SL ... he can kick.

Or ...

Try scorer kicks the goal, must be a toe hacker though

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Shaun Johnson was handpicked by Daryl Halligan after assessing the whole team. That was back in 2015 so I'm not sure if anyone else is better? Think Issac Luke would be NIL...
I would rate SJ 110% on technique and commitment. His record is not top drawer though, that is why I asked the question.

I was talking to a guy once who knew Michael Campbell the golfer. He was saying once he was with the Americas Cup team and they were having a few beers and Campbell started hitting balls off the deck aiming for a target in the sea. He was just mucking around but was spot on with every shot. Got me thinking to how they miss such simple shots in a big tournament e.g. the 17th at TPC Sawgrass (The green in the middle of a lake). It is a mental game.

Halligan would know all about that. He missed a kick (albeit from the sideline) that cost the Bears a GF appearance. He usually could make those kicks in his sleep.

Barnes was basically saying that the mental strength that makes Barrett such a great player is his weakness on tight goal kicks. Just his opinion I know, but he is an interesting guy to listen to.
Maybe Lino’s replacement will kick? CTH can kick but still a year or two away from 1st grade.
Guys like SK and Smith will not be ignoring the situation, that can be guaranteed.

Reaction score
Blain

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

Performances based contracts? Na. You've been conned, the Thoroughbreds is where the money comes from. Fabricated Third Tiers contracts by this mob with the odd paper bag thrown in is how the Broncos get/never lose players. Will be very interesting when Bennett leaves, if they slide, they might lose their shine. They don't have the legends they seemed to always have. Can't deny their pack has talent coming through though!

Performance based contracts would also screw clubs caps in successful years, so can't happen to a large degree in the NRL. Some players have rep bonuses, which is maybe what you're referring too.

Reaction score
Run_it_str8

Run_it_str8

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Surely it's not too far to task a group to be goal kickers all on standby. Just put in the extras and our for and against will improve as well as our win ratio.

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Martin Taupau has liked some tweets apparently from peeps wishing he would join the Warriors. I’m thinking though cap space would mean this is a no but man I’d be so stoked if he was a Warrior.
That would be the missing piece of the puzzle imo.

Reaction score
mcdenda

mcdenda

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
What's our Front Row stocks looking like ? Anyone rate Elias Sukkar . Lebanese prop with some size on him

Reaction score
Gizzyfan

Gizzyfan

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
SJ also takes a lot of wide kicks. That immediately has an effect on percentage. Wind footing fatigue score board pressure all come into play. For mine goal kicking is OK.

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
SJ also takes a lot of wide kicks. That immediately has an effect on percentage. Wind footing fatigue score board pressure all come into play. For mine goal kicking is OK.
Agree - with Fus and Kata scoring a lot of tries, many of the kicks are taken from near the sideline. It would be interesting to look at stats of where goal kickers kick from e.g. position on field

Reaction score

Boats n Hoes

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
That would be the missing piece of the puzzle imo.
Yeah it seems to me our forwards while a useful bunch are crying out for a pack leader.

Someone who can consistently dominate that middle third, someone the opposition looks at and goes "oh shit". Can win the ruck, get fast play the balls, or likewise just as easliy bust tackles or throw quality offloads...and Tapau certainly qualifies as that candidate.

Very similar imo to a Bronco's pack pre Glen Lazarus - Gillmeister, Hohn, Matterson, Andrew Gee.....good players but could never dominate enough to take the Bronco's to the next level.....Lazarus was the final piece in that puzzle as well.

I think the likes off Paasi and Afoa behind a Tapau....then we're talking.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Yeah it seems to me our forwards while a useful bunch are crying out for a pack leader.

Someone who can consistently dominate that middle third, someone the opposition looks at and goes "oh shit". Can win the ruck, get fast play the balls, or likewise just as easliy bust tackles or throw quality offloads...and Tapau certainly qualifies as that candidate.

Very similar imo to a Bronco's pack pre Glen Lazarus - Gillmeister, Hohn, Matterson, Andrew Gee.....good players but could never dominate enough to take the Bronco's to the next level.....Lazarus was the final piece in that puzzle as well.

I think the likes off Paasi and Afoa behind a Tapau....then we're talking.
With a decent forward pack I could play halfback:D, just joking but I am sure you get my point.
If SJ had taken an offer to go to the rorters he would have a premiership ring by now, maybe more.
Give me some stats to back that up Gizzy. We all know Fus scores out wide, but so do others.

Reaction score
davewjnz

davewjnz

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
We have one Aussie rep Centre. Wasnt Ayshfird an Aus schoolboys rep.

There is only so much money in the pot. We have to develop and improve our existing squad.
Totally Agree

Not to forget we lost games we should have won which could have seen us minor premiers
Not to forget we won a few games without Shaun
Not to forget we overcome a few of our hoodoos
Not to forget we were top of the ladder even for a day or two???
Not to forget the time we spent in the top 4
Not to forget the time we spent in the top 8

Looking back at that list I can say I've enjoyed our season for a change.
Even though we only lasted a week the goal was to make it to finals footy for mine.
Any further would have been a bonus.

What exactly do you think it is we need now that the lads have had a full season together?

For mine,
One thing we'll agree on is the need to learn to play at another level so maybe confidence and trust?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom