Recruitment 2019 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
FAN

FAN

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Funny things forums.... it wasn’t that many weeks ago they were all calling for him to be dropped to reserve grade...and Warriors fans were all saying...”hello...we have been saying that for years!”
Yep...... One or two weeks in the NRL can be a lifetime.

Reaction score
wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
None of the Brisbane recruits are Queenslanders. If weather plays a part, let’s go to England to recruit?
Lifestyle is different to weather - but climate enables a good lifestyle 😉.

Reaction score

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Hindsight is wonderful thing but looking back Benji Marshall would have been a great signing after things fell over for him at the Blues. The Saints, Broncos and tigers have all got the best out of him whether that be on the field or mentoring the younger guys.

Reaction score
wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Mate, what are you on about ?

The cap has gone up because of the new tv rights deal, and rightly so that players benefit than it going into the back pockets of someone else.

A million $$$ contract can set a player and his family up for life, well past their playing days. You’re kidding yourself (just like you did with us making the 8!) if you think the $ differential is insignificant to players.

Young players are turning down our coin because they know coming here can be a career killer. It may be their last decent payday. They stay in Australia, then maybe they get 2-3 more decent contracts than risking it all for 1.
And the players deserve the cash - but it doesn’t change the fact that now the talent is able to settle for less to be at the Roosters, Broncos, Storm, Souths, Sharks, etc teams when in the past the talent was made to spread around.

The increased cap has been good for the players but resulted in a more lopsided competition.

I would support a draft system or some sort of restrictions of pooling of talent. The comp is getting repetitive with the same teams dominating and the same teams forever struggling.

Reaction score
FAN

FAN

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Hindsight is wonderful thing but looking back Benji Marshall would have been a great signing after things fell over for him at the Blues. The Saints, Broncos and tigers have all got the best out of him whether that be on the field or mentoring the younger guys.
I was thinking that at the time as well, however....
1/ SK does not like him, and I think the feeling is mutual. Can't blame Benji either.
2 /No matter what the $$ money may have been if it was ever offered, I don't think Benji is that stupid to play for the Warriors.
Just my opinion.

Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
1/ SK does not like him, and I think the feeling is mutual. Can't blame Benji either.
2 /No matter what the $$ money may have been if it was ever offered, I don't think Benji is that stupid to play for the Warriors.
Just my opinion.
Was there a particular reason Kearney didn't like Benji?

Even if we had no good halves available for the Kiwi's Kearney preferred to use Harris or Hiku etc at 6 instead of recalling Benji.

Reaction score
Blain

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
FFS recruiting players has little to do with Aucklands weather, let's get real.

People don't want to come here.. Because.. The Warriors are a average to shit football side, 3 hours plane ride to the closest away game. Simple as that. We're also known as a place where guys struggle to improve their careers. SK inspires little confidence looking in from the outside, and now our loud mouth CEO is firing shots at players when he has no say on what happens on the field, and has no more footy nous than any of us.

Dark times ahead, Green is costing us tries with his slow as fuck defense and poor kicking game, but is our best half. TBH I reckon we should stop looking to sign stars, and try develop from within. Sign some promising fringe players, and trust in our juniors to step up (such as Perham, Ale, CHT, Mullaney, Frei).

Reaction score

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Just my opinion.
The only other person that springs to mind that brings that similarly is Sonny Bill Williams

Reaction score
FAN

FAN

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
So
Was there a particular reason Kearney didn't like Benji?

Even if we had no good halves available for the Kiwi's Kearney preferred to use Harris or Hiku etc at 6 instead of recalling Benji.
Bruce will probably know the reason for their fall out.
TBH I think it's just SK is stubborn, as I remember BM being in fantastic form, yet SK still didn't pick him for the Kiwi's.

Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
So

Bruce will probably know the reason for their fall out.
TBH I think it's just SK is stubborn, as I remember BM being in fantastic form, yet SK still didn't pick him.
Hopefully Bruce can shed some light on this.

It seems that Kearney has had falling outs with several players over the years and once they are on the outer he doesn't pick them again.
Whether it's because of their attitude or not buying into the culture, I don't know.

Reaction score

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
FFS recruiting players has little to do with Aucklands weather, let's get real.

People don't want to come here.. Because.. The Warriors are a average to shit football side, 3 hours plane ride to the closest away game. Simple as that. We're also known as a place where guys struggle to improve their careers. SK inspires little confidence looking in from the outside, and now our loud mouth CEO is firing shots at players when he has no say on what happens on the field, and has no more footy nous than any of us.

Dark times ahead, Green is costing us tries with his slow as fuck defense and poor kicking game, but is our best half. TBH I reckon we should stop looking to sign stars, and try develop from within. Sign some promising fringe players, and trust in our juniors to step up (such as Perham, Ale, CHT, Mullaney, Frei).
Think your probably right. Look at Newcastle, recruitments that haven't come through the grades of their clubs often won't have that pride in their club like someone that has though the Warriors have had some good recruits over the years in Price,Campion,Luck etc. Kiwis returning should have that pride in playing for their countries sole team and we've seen that with Wiki, Tuivasa Sheck etc. Think that's why some of the guys brought home over the last few years has been so disappointing. Only thing though with your faith in the youngsters though is that is everybody prepared to give them the time it's going to take as the results won't come straight away.

Reaction score
brightman

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Funny things forums.... it wasn’t that many weeks ago they were all calling for him to be dropped to reserve grade...and Warriors fans were all saying...”hello...we have been saying that for years!”
Yeah and now there gunning for top 8 and where are we without SJ..

Reaction score

Noitall

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
What’s SBW doing after the World Cup?
Do you think he would be a good signing? I'm a bit of a conspiracy theorist and wonder if that's why they are keeping money spare as he wouldn't be able to speak about his future especially heading into a World Cup. Though the amount of offers they've thrown at people over the last couple of months would indicate that's well off the mark. Can recall him on matt johns show months ago saying "he wants to give back to his Pacifica people" though you could read anything into that also.

Reaction score
Fearmuss

Fearmuss

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
That is true. People can switch their opinions week to week. I doubted SJ being able to perform consistently at the Sharks.
But got to give him credit. The last couple of months he has really turned it on.

But even SJ performing 50% percent of the time is far superior than Green or Nikorima performing 50% of the time.
This is true, reminds me of basketball where pure rep means some players get guarded more seriously and draw the defence, another guard might have a better 3PT% but won’t draw players on the perimeter.

Even when SJ was shit, at the very least the defence never slept on him due to his rep: created space for others.

The SJ money looks to have been pissed away.

Reaction score

Murraytd

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
This is true, reminds me of basketball where pure rep means some players get guarded more seriously and draw the defence, another guard might have a better 3PT% but won’t draw players on the perimeter.

Even when SJ was shit, at the very least the defence never slept on him due to his rep: created space for others.

The SJ money looks to have been pissed away.
SJ wasn't effective in the end, not all SJ's fault! in his first few years we had a far better all round team, SJ wasn't the sole playmaker, he was able to showcase an amazing ability that truly made you jump from the couch in fucking pure joy! beating Melbourne to make GF shines out. Maybe incorrectly it raised hopes we truly had another SJ? (Stacy Jones, about the biggest compliment I can pay) alas, no.
As a perennially disappointed Warriors supporter I lost count in the end how many times I waited in ancipation in 75% of games that SJ would utilise his outstanding ability by taking the line on early, looking for weakness. Would want a minimum 2 touches every attacking set, and 3 touches if the game was in the balance. Fucking owning the game as our leader! it didn't happen. Every opposition supporter against the Warriors would have being jumping for joy when SJ would go missing for far too long in games.
I agree with you both, that SJ is significantly better than Green, and Nikorima. But, SJ wasn't going to deliver a premiership for us, sadly nor will SK! So as the arrow point for the club and its hopes on winning the premiership bullseye he had to go.
I wish SJ all the best, but I was happy with the decision in letting him go. Hopefully for SJ, with Cronulla having one of the best forward packs in the competition, another ball player in Le Chad, speed in his channel, he has his absolute best opportunity to win a ring. Sadly though,I think when truly needed he will be absent.

Last edited:
Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Initially I was behind the clubs decision and thought SJ was being a bit of a princess and throwing his toys out of the cot.
We were only hearing it from the clubs perspective however.

This year we can see that SJ was not the main problem. Sure he drifted in and out of games but we are clearly playing worse without him and we have much less creativity in attack. Watching him on the weekend and seeing the lines he runs and the perfect short balls. A class above anything we have to offer.

I don't think SJ was the long term solution for us but he left 2 years too early for mine.

Reaction score

JaggedJ

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
There's not just one problem so there's no magic bullet solution.

We have several problems including our head potato and a fair number of the playing group.

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
Some of our most successful recruits have been 2nd tier Aussies - Death, Mears, Gatis, Maloney, Luck, Ro velli. Frei and Curran potentially fall into this category but we need more.

Bringing back Kiwis hasn’t proved to be that successful yet, apart from RTS and maybe Hiku. The likes of Blair, Luke, Beale, Nikorima have not been great buys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom