Recruitment 2019 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Reaction score
playdaball

playdaball

Heritage Member
Reaction score
Our recruitment is misplaced. It’s basically raid Brisbane due to Kearney’s link to there. The reality is Auckland is so foreign to Brisbane, weather and lifestyle wise, it is one of the least likely places to pull people from. Of all Aussie, the Queenslands lifestyle is the most removed. Due to their climate they are more relaxed, laid back and easy going than Aucklanders. The only ones we are getting from there are the ones that are heading out the door anyway so would consider anywhere. All their talent are repeatedly dismissing us.

Our recruitment should be more Sydney based as it is ‘more’ similar in weather and lifestyle and would be seen as a more natural fit for the players.

The fact the majority of our recruiting is tied to raiding Kearneys last club highlights some real issues. Is it that we have 0 to offer/ chance of recruiting talent from Sydney?
None of the Brisbane recruits are Queenslanders. If weather plays a part, let’s go to England to recruit?

Reaction score
Sledge

Sledge

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Our recruitment is misplaced. It’s basically raid Brisbane due to Kearney’s link to there. The reality is Auckland is so foreign to Brisbane, weather and lifestyle wise, it is one of the least likely places to pull people from. Of all Aussie, the Queenslands lifestyle is the most removed. Due to their climate they are more relaxed, laid back and easy going than Aucklanders. The only ones we are getting from there are the ones that are heading out the door anyway so would consider anywhere. All their talent are repeatedly dismissing us.

Our recruitment should be more Sydney based as it is ‘more’ similar in weather and lifestyle and would be seen as a more natural fit for the players.

The fact the majority of our recruiting is tied to raiding Kearneys last club highlights some real issues. Is it that we have 0 to offer/ chance of recruiting talent from Sydney?
I wonder also if Kearney watches any other games apart from his old or last club he came from?

Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Does anyone know how much we signed Green for? Was it $600,000 per season?

If SJ wanted $900,000-1,000,000 I think he would be worth the extra $300,000 over Green.
On top of that we signed Nikorima for $500-600,000.

We have over 1m invested in Green and Nikorima who both want to play in the halves and neither of them are our best half.
I would prefer, SJ and CHT over Green/Nikorima and CHT.

Sharks forum is actually really happy with SJ. Think he is worth the value of $800,000.

If we had even kept SJ on for a 2 year contract and then look to pounce on another half in 2021. We definitely wouldn't have purchased Nikorima if SJ didn't leave.

Reaction score
Wellington Warrior

Wellington Warrior

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Sharks forum is actually really happy with SJ. Think he is worth the value of $800,000.
Funny things forums.... it wasn’t that many weeks ago they were all calling for him to be dropped to reserve grade...and Warriors fans were all saying...”hello...we have been saying that for years!”

Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Funny things forums.... it wasn’t that many weeks ago they were all calling for him to be dropped to reserve grade...and Warriors fans were all saying...”hello...we have been saying that for years!”
That is true. People can switch their opinions week to week. I doubted SJ being able to perform consistently at the Sharks.
But got to give him credit. The last couple of months he has really turned it on.

But even SJ performing 50% percent of the time is far superior than Green or Nikorima performing 50% of the time.

Reaction score
FAN

FAN

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Yep...... One or two weeks in the NRL can be a lifetime.

Reaction score
wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
None of the Brisbane recruits are Queenslanders. If weather plays a part, let’s go to England to recruit?
Lifestyle is different to weather - but climate enables a good lifestyle 😉.

Reaction score

Noitall

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Hindsight is wonderful thing but looking back Benji Marshall would have been a great signing after things fell over for him at the Blues. The Saints, Broncos and tigers have all got the best out of him whether that be on the field or mentoring the younger guys.

Reaction score
wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Mate, what are you on about ?

The cap has gone up because of the new tv rights deal, and rightly so that players benefit than it going into the back pockets of someone else.

A million $$$ contract can set a player and his family up for life, well past their playing days. You’re kidding yourself (just like you did with us making the 8!) if you think the $ differential is insignificant to players.

Young players are turning down our coin because they know coming here can be a career killer. It may be their last decent payday. They stay in Australia, then maybe they get 2-3 more decent contracts than risking it all for 1.
And the players deserve the cash - but it doesn’t change the fact that now the talent is able to settle for less to be at the Roosters, Broncos, Storm, Souths, Sharks, etc teams when in the past the talent was made to spread around.

The increased cap has been good for the players but resulted in a more lopsided competition.

I would support a draft system or some sort of restrictions of pooling of talent. The comp is getting repetitive with the same teams dominating and the same teams forever struggling.

Reaction score
FAN

FAN

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Hindsight is wonderful thing but looking back Benji Marshall would have been a great signing after things fell over for him at the Blues. The Saints, Broncos and tigers have all got the best out of him whether that be on the field or mentoring the younger guys.
I was thinking that at the time as well, however....
1/ SK does not like him, and I think the feeling is mutual. Can't blame Benji either.
2 /No matter what the $$ money may have been if it was ever offered, I don't think Benji is that stupid to play for the Warriors.
Just my opinion.

Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
1/ SK does not like him, and I think the feeling is mutual. Can't blame Benji either.
2 /No matter what the $$ money may have been if it was ever offered, I don't think Benji is that stupid to play for the Warriors.
Just my opinion.
Was there a particular reason Kearney didn't like Benji?

Even if we had no good halves available for the Kiwi's Kearney preferred to use Harris or Hiku etc at 6 instead of recalling Benji.

Reaction score
Blain

Blain

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
FFS recruiting players has little to do with Aucklands weather, let's get real.

People don't want to come here.. Because.. The Warriors are a average to shit football side, 3 hours plane ride to the closest away game. Simple as that. We're also known as a place where guys struggle to improve their careers. SK inspires little confidence looking in from the outside, and now our loud mouth CEO is firing shots at players when he has no say on what happens on the field, and has no more footy nous than any of us.

Dark times ahead, Green is costing us tries with his slow as fuck defense and poor kicking game, but is our best half. TBH I reckon we should stop looking to sign stars, and try develop from within. Sign some promising fringe players, and trust in our juniors to step up (such as Perham, Ale, CHT, Mullaney, Frei).

Reaction score

Noitall

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Just my opinion.
The only other person that springs to mind that brings that similarly is Sonny Bill Williams

Reaction score
FAN

FAN

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
So
Was there a particular reason Kearney didn't like Benji?

Even if we had no good halves available for the Kiwi's Kearney preferred to use Harris or Hiku etc at 6 instead of recalling Benji.
Bruce will probably know the reason for their fall out.
TBH I think it's just SK is stubborn, as I remember BM being in fantastic form, yet SK still didn't pick him for the Kiwi's.

Reaction score
warriors55

warriors55

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
So

Bruce will probably know the reason for their fall out.
TBH I think it's just SK is stubborn, as I remember BM being in fantastic form, yet SK still didn't pick him.
Hopefully Bruce can shed some light on this.

It seems that Kearney has had falling outs with several players over the years and once they are on the outer he doesn't pick them again.
Whether it's because of their attitude or not buying into the culture, I don't know.

Reaction score

Noitall

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
FFS recruiting players has little to do with Aucklands weather, let's get real.

People don't want to come here.. Because.. The Warriors are a average to shit football side, 3 hours plane ride to the closest away game. Simple as that. We're also known as a place where guys struggle to improve their careers. SK inspires little confidence looking in from the outside, and now our loud mouth CEO is firing shots at players when he has no say on what happens on the field, and has no more footy nous than any of us.

Dark times ahead, Green is costing us tries with his slow as fuck defense and poor kicking game, but is our best half. TBH I reckon we should stop looking to sign stars, and try develop from within. Sign some promising fringe players, and trust in our juniors to step up (such as Perham, Ale, CHT, Mullaney, Frei).
Think your probably right. Look at Newcastle, recruitments that haven't come through the grades of their clubs often won't have that pride in their club like someone that has though the Warriors have had some good recruits over the years in Price,Campion,Luck etc. Kiwis returning should have that pride in playing for their countries sole team and we've seen that with Wiki, Tuivasa Sheck etc. Think that's why some of the guys brought home over the last few years has been so disappointing. Only thing though with your faith in the youngsters though is that is everybody prepared to give them the time it's going to take as the results won't come straight away.

Reaction score
brightman

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Yeah and now there gunning for top 8 and where are we without SJ..

Top Bottom