Recruitment 2019 Warriors Recruitment DISCUSSION

Reaction score

valpy73

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Are we actually going to recruit anyone of any note this year or is the same piss poor squad going to be running around next year????

We need one mongrel prop forward who doesnt take a back step
one second rower
a couple of hookers (retirement of Isaac and Nate needs to realise that his body is shot)
a decent half (kodi is not a half back and should be used as a utility. Green is to old and slow. Commentators in Aus were saying Greens positioning in distance from dummy half against Newcastle was woeful in first half)

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Matt lodge re-signed with broncos. Confirmed big money interest from warriors and turned us down
Wanna pay rise?...get the Warriors interested...that used to be the Rorters back last century...after Jack Gibson.

Reaction score
HoRneT041

HoRneT041

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Wanna pay rise?...get the Warriors interested...that used to be the Rorters back last century...after Jack Gibson.
We’re just too dumb to charge a commission for that!

Reaction score
Geoffpublic

Geoffpublic

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Here is another not coming our way.No TPJ. Brian Smith, we really need you to work some magic. https://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/teams/broncos/brisbane-broncos-secure-pangai-jr-lodge-with-4m-signing-spree/news-story/c49069949609f6b95e27a4004e0cb047
%$# paywall, anyway here's the main part of it
Blockbusting forward Tevita Pangai Jr will pledge his future to Brisbane on Friday as part of a twin $4 million retention coup that saw teammate Matt Lodge ink an upgraded deal with the Broncos.
The Courier-Mail can reveal the Broncos will formally announce the signature of Pangai Jr in a huge boost for Brisbane ahead of Saturday night’s clash against the Warriors at Suncorp Stadium.
Brisbane landed the first strike though, staving off a massive $1 million-a-season bid from the Warriors to retain Lodge, who has signed a three-year contract worth around $700,000 annually.
Lodge’s signing was made public on Thursday, paving the way for the Broncos to also herald an extension for Pangai Jr, who has agreed to a multi-year deal worth around $600,000 a season.

Last edited:
Reaction score

Mr Frank White

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Lodge got a massive pay rise from the Broncos. Not the first time we've forced a team to cough up and spend more money.
The Eels had to do it with Dylan at the start of the year

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

On compassionate leave
Reaction score
Lodge got a massive pay rise from the Broncos. Not the first time we've forced a team to cough up and spend more money.
The Eels had to do it with Dylan at the start of the year
We forced them to cough up more to retain him but it doesn't benefit us much, it benefits other good destination clubs who have salary cap space left. If it forces much of the nrl in salary cap trouble, then it benefits us. Unfortunately 1 player movement doesn't have that effect.

Good on him to get the 700k. Makes the 1m offer from Warriors a reliably correct leak. Also shows how even when we put a premium of nearly 50% over what he is being offered, we are being rejected. Kodi was won over with warriors putting 100% overs, Green over 100% overs, Blair nearly 200% overs. From recent memory it seems the only player we got at a reasonable discount from their previous contract was Foran. Even though it was an act of God for the Warriors that he rejected extending his stay here on a sizeable extension.

Reaction score

Off The Bench

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Not sad about that one really?

Don’t think he was the solution to our problems and he would have cleaned out the kitty before off-season..

He was more like that impulsive buy on the internet that you do after a shitty day at work! only to regret it later on when it turns up at your doorstep and your missus opens that bank statement before you do.. 🤑
I totally disagree for our club he would have addressed an ongoing
Issue .An provided us with what we do need ..So 1 million in the right
Place is money well spent.
I hope we don't impulse buy on a position we don't need .
Or tie up middle coin on something like we have already.
That will not add value .

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
We forced them to cough up more to retain him but it doesn't benefit us much, it benefits other good destination clubs who have salary cap space left. If it forces much of the nrl in salary cap trouble, then it benefits us. Unfortunately 1 player movement doesn't have that effect.

Good on him to get the 700k. Makes the 1m offer from Warriors a reliably correct leak. Also shows how even when we put a premium of nearly 50% over what he is being offered, we are being rejected. Kodi was won over with warriors putting 100% overs, Green over 100% overs, Blair nearly 200% overs. From recent memory it seems the only player we got at a reasonable discount from their previous contract was Foran. Even though it was an act of God for the Warriors that he rejected extending his stay here on a sizeable extension.
Probably the only way to get the big offers to benefit us is to go for two players from the same club with decent offers. Make the other club decide. Knowing our luck the other club will sign both and business will resume as normal or we will get stuck with two players instead of the one we really need.

The majority of the season has completed and we are not looking good, we have cap space available. Usually we would of signed someone by now. The market isn't particularly busy at the moment but its still a bit of a concern with how we a performing, holes in our roster, cap space available.

It is usually this time of year we get the first bite of "Hey we signed X, next year things will improve".

Reaction score
FuNQie

FuNQie

Mr Spock
Contributor
Reaction score

Jeepers. $600k for Pangai Jnr and $700k for Lodge is crazy money IMO for prop Lodge, maybe not so crazy for second rower Pangai Jnr. So maybe our massive offer (whatever it really was) really did get Lodge more money from the Broncs. Whatever, I’m happy that we’re not throwing over 10% of our cap at him, no matter how good he might be. Meanwhile, Seibold has clearly decided that having the biggest pack in the game is the way to go. It hasn’t given him the results, though. And that alone is worth thinking about.

Thanks for posting the detail, Geoffpublic.

Reaction score

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
If the rumours are true about Rapana coming here does he go to centre or Fus?

Reaction score
WellingtonOrca

WellingtonOrca

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Fus will go to centre. Both he and SK have previously said that centre is his best position.
I'm hesitant about Fus' defence at centre, but given how good CNK has gone in a new position after being absolutely terrible defending at centre/wing I'm willing to give Fus a couple of games before calling for his head!

Reaction score

Swanny

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I like Rapana's hunger. He always seems to be awake. Fus...well :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
That's the thing - if Fus doesn't work out as a centre then you have a player signed long term without a position

Reaction score

Old Sid

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

Unless you have privileged information, we have no idea whether its a 50% premium.... nice numbers to throw around as they are to justify a negative position.
How does anyone know for sure that there are no third party payments through the Thoroughbreds that might match any offer the Warriors made and therefore net-net we actually offered no premium at all.?
How do you know for sure that we offered $1m, and even so was it NZD or AUD? These make great headline numbers by the so called insiders and cheap journalists trying to grab clicks.
What discount might you accept to remain in your current environment (home, friends, family, perhaps loan repayment financiers) and not, in this case, move country?

Kodi apparently was on a very low salary so would have rec'd a 'premium' (your words) offer at his next renewal anyhow. As an international half, what might that be?
I have no idea about Green's increase, but I'd find it hard to agree with 100% increase estimate.
And Blair getting 200% increase... no way I'd say.

So, looking at the other way around...what would you do with SJ, would you go with a 50% discount to get him to come back, perhaps reflecting his true value? Right now the Sharkies might subsidize that for a year or two?

Me, I applaud the club for trying to recruit good players that fit the squad we have, the strengths we need at the time and within the cap. Sure, unless you have a Sombrero it's challenging. Furthermore, anyone packing a sad would not be part of my squad, hence, as an I fully support culture and squad changes that are being applied irrespective of the personalities that may feel precious about it.

Reaction score
Geoffpublic

Geoffpublic

Warriors Bench Player
Reaction score
Sounds like if Cam Smith extends past 2020, then Brandon Smith may be up for grabs.
I am a real fanboy of Brandon Smith.
Sadly he's giving himself every chance of becoming the next Slade Griffin.
I hope we give him one last chance to join us before we move on.

Reaction score
FuNQie

FuNQie

Mr Spock
Contributor
Reaction score
Fus will go to centre. Both he and SK have previously said that centre is his best position.
Fus has said that centre is his best position? Really? When did he say that?
(Tbh I’m not sure that I trust SK in what he says about an attacking player’s best position.)

Top Bottom