General 2019 Rugby World Cup

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
Didn’t get Spark sport and as such haven’t played the slightest bit of attention to any free to air games, or highlights including the AB’s games...
I could say you haven't missed much but the AB/Springboks, and Japan Ireland were a good watch...the rest😩😩

Reaction score
BeastMode

BeastMode

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I could say you haven't missed much but the AB/Springboks, and Japan Ireland were a good watch...the rest😩😩
Japan Ireland yes.

AB/SB ? 🤔

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Piss it off!!!
Contributor
Reaction score
Aus v Wales and France v Argentina were alright too

Reaction score
Rizzah

Rizzah

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
Too many cards in the world cup games. The tackle has become a real gamble.
Multiple yellows during the Aus vs Uruguay game for marginally high tackles.
Now a red for an Argentine player for a slight hit on the chin of Owen Farrell during a tackle.
There should be real discretion with the red, that card is a game killer.

Reaction score
Horriors2013

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Too many cards in the world cup games. The tackle has become a real gamble.
Multiple yellows during the Aus vs Uruguay game for marginally high tackles.
Now a red for an Argentine player for a slight hit on the chin of Owen Farrell during a tackle.
There should be real discretion with the red, that card is a game killer.
Yeah. In fact you could say all footy has suffered. It spells the end of the contest. There is no comeback from it these days. And I expect it to get worse until we're all playing touch in 10 years.

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Watching the union and how they deal with foul play is interesting when you compare it to league. Union it's the rules you broke them your off, there usually isn't much backlash afterwards in the media. League if they send someone off even for 10 minutes all we hear about is how the referee ruined the game.

I'll probably live to regret that previous paragraph if 1-2 All Blacks get sent off in a semi or the final and our media go on the warpath.

It was interesting to see the tackle where the Argentine lock got sent off. Farrell stayed on to take the goal kick. They maybe did a concussion check on the field during the stoppage, I'm not sure on their procedures. But I've heard enough NZ journos who have said union does it right league has a long way to go, in league he likely would of been off for 10-15 minutes.

Reaction score
wizards rage

wizards rage

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Watching the union and how they deal with foul play is interesting when you compare it to league. Union it's the rules you broke them your off, there usually isn't much backlash afterwards in the media. League if they send someone off even for 10 minutes all we hear about is how the referee ruined the game.

I'll probably live to regret that previous paragraph if 1-2 All Blacks get sent off in a semi or the final and our media go on the warpath.

It was interesting to see the tackle where the Argentine lock got sent off. Farrell stayed on to take the goal kick. They maybe did a concussion check on the field during the stoppage, I'm not sure on their procedures. But I've heard enough NZ journos who have said union does it right league has a long way to go, in league he likely would of been off for 10-15 minutes.
Send offs in any sport ruins the contest...

Reaction score
Horriors2013

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score

I think it's time to change the rules. Instead of leaving teams short, it should be a penalty and the player in question gets replaced. Let the judiciary decide his future after the game. That's 2 or 3 punishments without turning the game into a no contest.

Reaction score
Horriors2013

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
2 yellow cards and we still thrash them. If it was v Aussie or England we'd lose. Laulala's one was so low to the ground there was no other way. I think we'll see more and more of those.

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score

I used to listen to Radio Sport when I had a longer commute to work and when I had a longer drive to the gym. Only really listen on short drives now. Went out today and all of the talk was about how the rules are taking away the spectacle. People paying big money only for sides often being down to 14 men. Some good debate.

I'll quote myself as I'm happy to be wrong. The part about there is no backlash. The media debate will probably last longer when it gets deeper into the tournament.

Reaction score
Horriors2013

Horriors2013

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I used to listen to Radio Sport when I had a longer commute to work and when I had a longer drive to the gym. Only really listen on short drives now. Went out today and all of the talk was about how the rules are taking away the spectacle. People paying big money only for sides often being down to 14 men. Some good debate.

I'll quote myself as I'm happy to be wrong. The part about there is no backlash. The media debate will probably last longer when it gets deeper into the tournament.
I go back to that African doctor who brought the concussion research to light in the first place. He said contact sports will cease to exist within a generation. You've seen this year in both rugby league and union that refs are cracking down on any contact with the head.

I also note that some trusted business sources have predicted esports will be mainstream soon. Connect the dots.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
I go back to that African doctor who brought the concussion research to light in the first place. He said contact sports will cease to exist within a generation. You've seen this year in both rugby league and union that refs are cracking down on any contact with the head.
Peter Fitzsimons wrote a serious article along that line in the SMH some time back. I recall he was talking specifically about liability in the NFL but said it will spread here as well.

Reaction score
WA supporter

WA supporter

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Am watching the RWC game,Wales v Fiji.its been going 8 mins and there was been 3 times the TMO has been used. And three times he has made his decision,right or not,within seconds. Unlike other sports I could name!

Reaction score
WA supporter

WA supporter

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
What noise is that I hear at the door?? Yes sir hello’Mr Com Curse’ 27 mins in,first half

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Only one team being Reffed in the Fiji game. Usual one eyed robbing the Island team.
Consistency across both Rugby codes.

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
ABs/Italy and France/England cancelled. What a farce. Did nobody tell the IRB they have typhoons in Japan in autumn? :rolleyes: ...the same bunch of Hooray Henry suits who gave the TV rights to Spark...and we think the NRL are stupid.

Reaction score
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
ABs/Italy and France/England cancelled. What a farce. Did nobody tell the IRB they have typhoons in Japan in autumn? :rolleyes: ...the same bunch of Hooray Henry suits who gave the TV rights to Spark...and we think the NRL are stupid.
They should still play, it would make the games more interesting. The handling skills are often akin to watching a dog with a balloon anyhow

Reaction score
bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Reaction score
They should still play, it would make the games more interesting. The handling skills are often akin to watching a dog with a balloon anyhow
From the sounds of it this is a serious typhoon. Murphys Law says if something can go wrong it will at the worst possible time...yet these suits gave the tournament to Japan in the full knowledge this could happen. The Scottish RFU are pretty suspicious of anybody in London anyway so if they get the boot because of this heads will roll...guaranteed. As for Spark it won't help their balance sheet either. Stiff shite.

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Am watching the RWC game,Wales v Fiji.its been going 8 mins and there was been 3 times the TMO has been used. And three times he has made his decision,right or not,within seconds. Unlike other sports I could name!
One thing they do that I like is it is the on field referee looking at the replays and making a decision. It is something I thought league should of tried years ago before investing in the bunker. It would be one person making a decision and not someone on the field interpreting things one way and someone up in a box interpreting things another. Also helps with explaining the ruling to the players.

Like in business when you go from multiple vendors down to one. Only one throat to choke.

Top Bottom