General 2019 Rugby World Cup

snake77

snake77

Last nights game was horrible. A good example of how a bad game of league is a lot better than a bad game of union.

England played well against us the night before. Hopefully they beat South Africa as at least they are trying to attack.
Over the years I've seen the statement or quote that a good game of union far outstrips a good game of league. That is then followed that the good games in union are too far between compared to league. I don't watch much union anymore but will admit I enjoyed the All Blacks vs England game. It was pretty much one sided as England were relentless putting their foot on the throat at the start and barely letting up. The game also had the fascination that things could turn. The lack of penalty shots for goal early was good as well.

The other semi was interesting different but was more that it was tight and South Africa never really got a way. As a casual viewer the period Wales were keeping the ball close and driving was interesting for 5 phases or so but they were pretty much only attacking the South African 5 metre line. The cameras then panned out showing Wales could set something up using space. That period got a bit frustrating.

As a casual viewer I have enjoyed the big crowds, that adds to the atmosphere for a sporting event. Something I wish the NRL could improve.

England were good to watch with players in motion. I am keen to see the final to see if they can repeat that effort running South Africa ragged or can the South African's nullify it. That could the game into 10 man rugby.

Reactions: Rizzah
Dixpat

Dixpat

In Andy we (have to) trust
Contributor
Snake - if you enjoyed seeing the box kick 81 times in 80 minutes and no real football played then I guess you also enjoy watching marbles. In my 65 years of watching (& playing) both union and league I cannot remember a more boring game!

Reactions: bruce
snake77

snake77

Snake - if you enjoyed seeing the box kick 81 times in 80 minutes and no real football played then I guess you also enjoy watching marbles. In my 65 years of watching (& playing) both union and league I cannot remember a more boring game!
I probably did phrase it to well as my interest did wane in that game. I found the England game enjoyable the Wales vs South Africa for a bit, the pick and drives as I mentioned was frustrating as the camera panned up and it looked like their play maker was waiting with a play set but they continued to drive and end up going backwards a bit, forwards a bit, backwards a bit ......

Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

It’s very easy to spoil a game in union, the ruck and maul belong to another age.. That and the fact there are two extra defensive players on the pitch makes most games a bit turgid imho.

League had the sense to change the rules to get the game to flow

• Love
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

Saffers v Wales reminded me of games in PE at school in wet and muddy conditions. Rubbish basically

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
It’s very easy to spoil a game in union, the ruck and maul belong to another age.. That and the fact there are two extra defensive players on the pitch makes most games a bit turgid imho.

League had the sense to change the rules to get the game to flow

See forward play for me is a nice variation to league, might be a bit biased as I am a forward and love the tight stuff but it’s a completely different skill set and I guess you have to understand it to appreciate it. Defence between the 2 is very different also, the contest for the ball again is a point of difference I enjoy.
This isn’t a pro union post as I equally enjoy both sports and the differences they have, the shitting on the other code from both sides gets tiresome and is a bit outdated

Reactions: eudebrito
Hardyman's Yugo

Hardyman's Yugo

See forward play for me is a nice variation to league, might be a bit biased as I am a forward and love the tight stuff but it’s a completely different skill set and I guess you have to understand it to appreciate it. Defence between the 2 is very different also, the contest for the ball again is a point of difference I enjoy.
This isn’t a pro union post as I equally enjoy both sports and the differences they have, the shitting on the other code from both sides gets tiresome and is a bit outdated
As a game to play it’s fine, as a spectator sport it can often be a bit grim.

Reactions: matiunz and Rizzah
snake77

snake77

Heard a guy on Newstalk ZB I think it was call in and say how he can tell when the ABs will lose by looking at their haka. Said they are poor at doing haka. To me that's fair enough they are a rugby team not a kapa haka group.

Said he doesn't watch the games but can watch their haka and tell if they will win or not. This wasn't the normal they looked off during the haka you usually hear more that they are generally crap at it full stop. As he was going around in circles the host queried him but got snapped at for interrupting.

This was all quite amusing but his argument falls apart when you look at their winning percentage of 80-90%.

Reactions: Damo
Damo

Damo

Contributor
Heard a guy on Newstalk ZB I think it was call in and say how he can tell when the ABs will lose by looking at their haka. Said they are poor at doing haka. To me that's fair enough they are a rugby team not a kapa haka group.

Said he doesn't watch the games but can watch their haka and tell if they will win or not. This wasn't the normal they looked off during the haka you usually hear more that they are generally crap at it full stop. As he was going around in circles the host queried him but got snapped at for interrupting.

This was all quite amusing but his argument falls apart when you look at their winning percentage of 80-90%.
I think they were a bit rattled due to England's reaction to it, but they should have been expecting something like that.

Easy for the caller to say something like that in hindsight really.

bruce

bruce

Contributor
I think they were a bit rattled due to England's reaction to it, but they should have been expecting something like that.

Easy for the caller to say something like that in hindsight really.
I thought they were off walking down the tunnel...but WTF would I know?

Reactions: Damo
bruce

bruce

Contributor
28 - 10 at half time. Night ladies and jellybeans linesmen and ball boys.

matiunz

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Completely different team tonight, got to wonder where this intensity was last week