Womens 2018 Warriors WOMENS Recruitment Discussion

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
2018 Warriors Womens Recruitment Discussion
A thread for all discussion on the WARRIORS NRLW team. As with the NRL thread please stay on topic and only post recruitment news that concerns the Warriors thanks.

Georgia-Hale-1-400x230.jpg Apii-Nicholls-Pualau-resized-394x230.jpg Annetta-Claudia-Nuuausala-1-400x230.jpg Shontelle-Woodman-resized-399x230.jpg
Hearing we have four signings already in Georgia Hale , Api Nicholls-Pualau, Anneta Nuuausala (Frank Pauls sister) and Shontelle Woodman (all pictured above in order). First two are close to being confirmed and other two are just rumours.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Chasing mother and son NRL dream
Alicia Newton
Fri 13 Jul 2018, 08:01 AM
Untitled.png

It goes without saying the mantra of train hard, play hard applies with Warriors forward Isaiah Papali'i and he has a couple of parents to thank for it – none more so than mum, Lorina Papali'i.

While a usual weekly catch up between mother and son often includes coffee or dinner, the 19-year-old prefers to bond over a sweaty gym session with the person who has played a monumental part in raising him.

Papali'i spent his childhood watching Lorina, a former Kiwi Ferns representative, play rugby league, before his parents opened a gym in Avondale focused around strength and CrossFit training.

At 41, Lorina is on the comeback trail after retiring from the game in 2010, selected in the extended train-on Warriors squad and eyeing a chance to feature the inaugural NRL Holden Women's Premiership in September just as Isaiah's career begins to blossom.

"She's right down into the business end of it now, a lot of hard work going from her day job to night trainings but she's enjoying the challenge of chasing an NRL dream," Isaiah told NRL.com.

"We do eat a lot together too and look into diet – train hard and eat hard. It's definitely exciting, but I'm not surprised she's going well. She's always been committed to putting everything into it.

"It's a unique bond and I really cherish it, not a traditional relationship with your parent everyone is used to."

The Warriors are expected to announce their entire 22-player squad for the women's competition after the free agent deadline expires on July 31.

If Lorina can make the final cut, the pair will be the first mother-son combination in rugby league history to represent one club.

"That would be very cool and something we can look back on in years to come, I know how much she is pushing for it to happen," Papali'i said.

"She's helped me a lot like all mothers, been the backbone and offered good support to see me reach the NRL.

"It was definitely a goal for me to play at the highest level after watching her play, I saw the fun and enjoyment she was having growing up.

"Both parents are pushing me to train all the time. They're both awesome role models for me as a professional rugby league player, just having that consistent drive to train and perform."

Young Warriors forward Isaiah Papali'i.©Scott Davis/NRL Photos

Isaiah expected his mum's age to be no barrier with her life centred around fitness. She would be the second oldest player in the competition to date if picked, behind 42-year-old Sydney Roosters signing Kylie Hilder.

"She is probably fitter than most of the women in the competition, especially the forwards," he said.

"I think she plays a lot like me, same sort of game play. And she's short and stocky. I'm following in her footsteps for sure, definitely not the other way around ... she's done it all."

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2018/07/15/chasing-mother-and-son-nrl-dream/

Reaction score

DANZ

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Alicia Newton
Fri 13 Jul 2018, 08:01 AM
View attachment 25914

It goes without saying the mantra of train hard, play hard applies with Warriors forward Isaiah Papali'i and he has a couple of parents to thank for it – none more so than mum, Lorina Papali'i.

While a usual weekly catch up between mother and son often includes coffee or dinner, the 19-year-old prefers to bond over a sweaty gym session with the person who has played a monumental part in raising him.

Papali'i spent his childhood watching Lorina, a former Kiwi Ferns representative, play rugby league, before his parents opened a gym in Avondale focused around strength and CrossFit training.

At 41, Lorina is on the comeback trail after retiring from the game in 2010, selected in the extended train-on Warriors squad and eyeing a chance to feature the inaugural NRL Holden Women's Premiership in September just as Isaiah's career begins to blossom.

"She's right down into the business end of it now, a lot of hard work going from her day job to night trainings but she's enjoying the challenge of chasing an NRL dream," Isaiah told NRL.com.

"We do eat a lot together too and look into diet – train hard and eat hard. It's definitely exciting, but I'm not surprised she's going well. She's always been committed to putting everything into it.

"It's a unique bond and I really cherish it, not a traditional relationship with your parent everyone is used to."

The Warriors are expected to announce their entire 22-player squad for the women's competition after the free agent deadline expires on July 31.

If Lorina can make the final cut, the pair will be the first mother-son combination in rugby league history to represent one club.

"That would be very cool and something we can look back on in years to come, I know how much she is pushing for it to happen," Papali'i said.

"She's helped me a lot like all mothers, been the backbone and offered good support to see me reach the NRL.

"It was definitely a goal for me to play at the highest level after watching her play, I saw the fun and enjoyment she was having growing up.

"Both parents are pushing me to train all the time. They're both awesome role models for me as a professional rugby league player, just having that consistent drive to train and perform."

Young Warriors forward Isaiah Papali'i.©Scott Davis/NRL Photos

Isaiah expected his mum's age to be no barrier with her life centred around fitness. She would be the second oldest player in the competition to date if picked, behind 42-year-old Sydney Roosters signing Kylie Hilder.

"She is probably fitter than most of the women in the competition, especially the forwards," he said.

"I think she plays a lot like me, same sort of game play. And she's short and stocky. I'm following in her footsteps for sure, definitely not the other way around ... she's done it all."

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2018/07/15/chasing-mother-and-son-nrl-dream/
was the best women's player before she retired, real workshorse, reminded me a lot of Gallen, be interesting to see how she goes now

Reaction score
Stone

Stone

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Wow!!! ... what an awesome achievement this could be for the Papali'i whanau

It could definitely be a sporting first couldn't it ??? ... both mother & son playing the same sport at the same time for the same club at an elite professional level

I definitely don't recall having ever heard of something like that before

I'm sure some trainspotter will correct me if I'm wrong ...

Last edited:
Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

Back to the past.
Reaction score
Does anyone know what the team will be called? Is it just the Vodafone Warriors Women's Team? or something else? Also same jersey?

Reaction score
razzrillinger

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
VODAFONE WARRIORS | 2018 NRL WOMEN'S PREMIERSHIP

RAQUEL ANDERSON-PITMAN

Born: November 2, 1991
Birthplace: Tokoroa, NZ
Club: Manurewa Marlins
Position: Halfback/hooker
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns (2017-2018), World Cup (2017), Counties Manukau Stingrays
Personal Note:

SARINA CLARK

Born: November 11, 1981
Birthplace: Auckland, NZ
Position: Fullback
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns (2006-2016), World Cup (2008, 2013), NRL Nines (2015, 2016, 2017), New Zealand Maori (2015), New Zealand kabaddi (2013-2015), New Zealand touch (2009), Counties Manukau Stingrays

LISA EDWARDS

Born: October 19, 1992
Club: Mount Albert
Position: Wing
Rep Honours: Akarana Falcons

LUISA GAGO

Pronunciation: Loo-ee-sah Nung-or (Nung as in rung)
Born: November 8, 1993
Position: Second row/loose forward
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns (2017-2018), NRL Nines (2017), Counties Manukau Stingrays

GEORGIA HALE

Born: August 9, 1995
Club: Richmond Roses
Position: Halfback/standoff/hooker
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns (2015-2018), World Cup (2017), NRL Nines (2015-2017), New Zealand touch, New Zealand tag, Akarana Falcons

AMBER KANI

Pronunciation: Car-nee
Born: January 17, 1991
Position: Centre
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns (2015-2018), World Cup (2017), NRL Nines (2016-2017), New Zealand Maori (2014-2016), Tag World Cup, New Zealand Maori (2012), Counties Manukau Stingrays

ONJEURLINA LEIATAUA

Pronunciation: On-jar-lee-nah Lay-a-toe-ah
Born: December 1, 1995
Club: Otahuhu Leopards
Position: Centre/second row
Rep Honours: Counties Manukau Stingrays

HILDA MARIU

Pronunciation: Mar-ree-oo
Born: August 9, 1983
Position: Second row/centre
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns (2014-2018), World Cup (2017), NRL Nines (2015), Counties Manukau Stingrays

LAURA MARIU

Pronunciation: Mar-ree-oo
Born: December 2, 1980
Position: Loose forward/halfback
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns (2000-2018), World Cup (2000, 2005, 2008, 2013, 2017), NRL Nines (2015, 2016, 2017), Counties Manukau Stingrays

VA'ANESSA MOLIA-FRASER

Pronunciation: Var-ah-nessa Morleeah
Born: January 18, 1996
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns (2016, 2017), NRL Nines (2017), Akarana Falcons

APII NICHOLLS

Pronunciation: Ah-pee
Born: February 26, 1993
Birthplace: Rarotonga, Cook Islands
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns (2017-2018), World Cup (2017), Cook Islands sevens (rugby union), Cook Islands tag, Counties Manukau Stingrays

TANIKA-JAZZ NOBLE-BELL

Born: February 20, 1996
Position: Second row/prop
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns wider squad (2018), Kiwi Ferns (2017), NRL Nines (2017), Counties Manukau Stingrays, Auckland Vulcans

ANNETTA-CLAUDIA NUUAUSALA

Pronunciation: Noo-ow-sar-lah
Born: January 22, 1995
Position: Prop
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns (2016-2018), World Cup (2017), Akarana Falcons

LORINA PAPALI'I

Pronunciation: Law-ree-nah Par-par-lee-ee
Born: January 16, 1977
Birthplace: Hamilton, NZ
Position: Second row/prop
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns (1994-2005), World Cup (2000, 2005), New Zealand tag (2007, 2010, 2011), Samoa Mausina rugby union (2002 World Cup, 2006 World Cup), Akarana Falcons

KAHURANGI PETERS

Pronunciation: Car-who-rung-ee
Born: February 23, 1994
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns (2013-2018), World Cup (2013, 2017), NRL Nines (2015, 2016, 2017), Counties Manukau Stingrays

KRYSTAL ROTA

Pronunciation: Roar-tah
Born: October 3, 1985
Position: Hooker
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns (2008-2018), World Cup (2008, 2017), NRL Nines (2015, 2017), New Zealand Maori, New Zealand touch, New Zealand tag, Counties Manukau Stingrays

AIESHALEIGH SMALLEY

Pronunciation: Ah-eee-shar-lee
Born: September 23, 1991
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns (2017-2018), World Cup (2017), NRL Nines (2017), Counties Manukau Stingrays

MASUISUIMATAMAALII (SUI) TAUASA-PAUARAISA

Pronunciation: Sue-ee Toe-ar-sah Par-wah-rye-sah
Born: October 30, 1987
Birthplace: Motootua, Samoa
Club: Linwood Keas (Christchurch)
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns wider squad (2018),
Occupation: Clinical administrator, Christchurch District Health Board

CRYSTAL TAMARUA

Pronunciation: Tar-ma-roo-ah
Born: July 30, 1995
Birthplace: Auckland
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns (2017), Cook Islands (2017), World Cup – Cook Islands (2017), Akarana Falcons

ALICE VAILEA

Pronunciation: Vie-lee-ah
Born: January 30, 1996
Position: Second row
Rep Honours: Akarana Falcons
Occupation: Teacher aide, Waikowhai Intermediate School (Auckland)
Personal Note:

LANGI VEAINU

Pronunciation: Lung-ee Vee-eye-nu
Born: November 3, 1993
Birthplace: Auckland
Position: Wing
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns (2016-2018), NRL Nines (2016, 2017), Counties Manukau Stingrays

SHONTELLE WOODMAN

Born: September 2, 1986
Birthplace: New Plymouth, NZ
Position: Centre/wing
Rep Honours: Kiwi Ferns (2014-2018), World Cup (2017), Akarana Falcons

Reaction score
razzrillinger

razzrillinger

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Vodafone Warriors unveil NRL women's premiership squad
Richard Becht warriors.kiwi
Wed 1 Aug 2018, 09:44 AM
2018-vodafone-warriors-womens-announcement-1a.jpg

A 22-strong squad laden with current and former Kiwi Ferns has been unveiled today to represent the Vodafone Warriors in the inaugural NRL women’s premiership next month.

With former Kiwi Fern Lorina Papali’i (41) signed, the Vodafone Warriors create rugby league history with a mother and son representing one club at the same time.

Lorina’s son Isaiah (19) has this year established himself as a first-choice second rower in his second season in the NRL.

Among the others confirmed at the club’s headquarters are Kiwi Ferns captain Laura Mariu and another legendary international Sarina Clark (nee Fiso).

Mariu, who was made a Member of the New Zealand Order of Merit in the Queen’s Birthday awards, had contemplated retirement after the 2017 World Cup but returned this season to help the Counties Manukau Stingrays to win the national final. She was also a key figure as the Manurewa Marlins beat the Richmond Roses in the Auckland women’s grand final last Sunday.

Clark missed the World Cup last year to have her third child. She returned to the field recently and signed with the Vodafone Warriors just this week.

“This is such an exciting day for our club and for rugby league in this country,” said Vodafone Warriors general manager football Brian Smith.

“We were thrilled to bring Luisa (Avaiki) on board as the first women’s coach in the NRL and today we take another step forward with the announcement of our squad comprising solely New Zealand players.

“We have a group of talented players who are just so excited about being involved in this shot at history.”

Avaiki is delighted with the 22 players the club has been able to sign.

“We have some legends of our game in the likes of Laura and Sarina who are backed up by some fantastic players,” she said.

“This is a dream for all of us to be involved in the NRL women’s premiership and we’re all working hard to make the most of what is an amazing opportunity for rugby league.”

Avaiki, appointed in last March, had an illustrious international playing career from 1995-2009. She captained the Kiwi Ferns to victory in two women’s World Cup tournaments in 2003 and 2008 and was also in the winning side in the first World Cup in 2000.

Features of the squad named:

• A total of 18 players are current or former Kiwi Ferns.

• The four players yet to represent the Kiwis have all been included in a wider 2018 national squad named by new Kiwi Ferns coach Kelvin Wright.

• A total of 16 players are from the Manurewa Marlins and Richmond Roses squad which met in the Auckland women’s premiership final last Sunday.

• Lorina Papali’i and Isaiah Papalii become the first mother and son pair to represent a rugby league club at the same time.

• Two players Laura Mariu and Apii Nicholls – the New Zealand Rugby League’s 2017 women’s player of the year – were recently sworn in as constables with the New Zealand Police.

• Several of the players have been national representatives in other sports apart from rugby league:

• Sarina Clark has played kabbadi and touch for New Zealand.

• Georgia Hale and Krystal Rota have both played touch and tag for New Zealand.

• Amber Kani has represented New Zealand Maori at the tag World Cup.

• Apii Nicholls has played sevens rugby union and tag for Cook Island.

• Lorina Papali’i, the NZRL’s player of the year in 2014, has played tag for New Zealand and represented Samoa Mausina at two women’s rugby union World Cup tournaments.
The Vodafone Warriors will play NRL women’s premiership matches against Brisbane, St George Illawarra and the Sydney Roosters during the NRL finals in September.

They’ll warm up for the competition with a match against Auckland when the Vodafone Warriors stage a double header in their Women in League game day at Mount Smart Stadium on Friday, August 10.

The women’s game is scheduled to kick off at 6.05pm followed by the 22nd-round NRL clash between the Vodafone Warriors and the Newcastle Knights (8.00pm).

Last edited by a moderator:
Top Bottom