Recruitment 2018 Warriors Recruitment Discussion

Discussion in 'Warriors Discussion' started by mt.wellington, Oct 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. flying coconut
    Join:
    Jul 21, 2012

flying coconut 1st Grade Fringe

Ideally Lawton should be on the bench round one. He is a much better option than Cook on the bench and covers more positions.

2. eudebrito
    Join:
    May 21, 2013

eudebrito Warriors 1st Grader

It’s pretty much Hingano in reverse, they signed Peachey (Green) who will send this bloke down the pecking order next year, so his manager looks around and says who wants a utility? Warriors it is!

If he plays zero games this year, he’ll probably be off somewhere else in search of a chance. Hard road being an NRL back up, have to hope someone gets injured and you can string enough games together that someone will view you as a starter, and not just a depth piece to be cycled through each year.

Give us expansion NRL, soon enough you could make a pretty good team just off a reserve graders, youths keep coming through, the old guys don't retire as quick due to the advances in training

3. Viking
    Join:
    Apr 12, 2012

Viking 1st Grade Fringe

He'll need time to settle but he looks like the sort of player that'll push hard for a spot. He's taken a huge punt coming here in the first place. It could squeeze Tevaga right out.

4. fizurg
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

fizurg 1st Grade Fringe

Seems too small to be a second rower or even outside back nowadays. Hooker or halves seem to the only likely positions for him.

5. mt.wellington
    Join:
    Jun 21, 2012

mt.wellington Warriors Orange Peeler Contributor

All Aiden Tolman discussion has been deleted. It does not belong in this thread. 7 day ban for instigator and 3 day bans for repliers from posting in this thread. Most of you have read this warning several times.

For players who DO NOT have a rumour or official release attached to them and this club post in the following thread.

https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/who-should-the-warriors-sign-for-2018-2019.59778/

Karl Lawton now has his own player discussion thread. All futures posts will be moved there. Feel free to continue discussing his signing there.

https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/karl-lawton.60608/

6. samo3987
    Join:
    May 18, 2012

samo3987 Warriors Bench Player

Hey guys a friend of mine was at the game on the weekend and saw Toovey there who was apparently well into watching the Warriors and seemed a little more interested than just a league fan.

Could be something, could be nothing. Just thought it could be worth mentioning.

Media has been hidden. Please Register to view.

7. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Fuck me no thank you

That guy will destroy the karma in this place

But if SK wants him, I’m ok with that

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  8. Sup42
    Join:
    May 7, 2012

Sup42 "Dave"

Very interesting.

In a assistant's role, slotting in for Cappy next year....experienced halves coach at NRL level, or defensive coach ( he has come from a defensive background at Manly).

He must want to work with the Warriors, Toovey can attract some players, a triad of Kearney Smith and Toovey would be like a big Neon sign...come to the Warriors...everyone's jumping on our bandwagon....be part of the story...

Assistants don't kick doors and scream and stuff they get fired for that type of grandstanding.

Toovey would be in a support role.

Hope it happens ..having Smith here turned out well.

It would be our most experienced coaching set up by some distance....the one thing Kearney lacks.

Maybe Toovey was there to watch the Kiwi internationals in the Warriors ?

Could be prepping for applying to the NZRL ?

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  9. jonno
    Join:
    Jul 13, 2014

jonno Warriors 1st Grader

Toovy has GF experience as head coach.

He would be in the top 5 assistant coaches surely.

Maybe he saw SKs path to redemption and wants to have another crack.

Be silly if we said no.

10. t-wade23
    Join:
    Jun 7, 2012

t-wade23 1st Grade Fringe

Wasn’t the rumour that he has applied for the kiwis job?? Could be watching his potential players for his test squad?

11. drake83
    Join:
    Jan 14, 2013

drake83 1st Grade Fringe

Heard he has thrown in his hat for the kiwis job

12. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 .....

On NRL with him and Kimmorley. He said he went out to the game with family I think, said we weren't very impressive.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2018
  13. Blain
    Join:
    Apr 18, 2012

Blain 1st Grade Fringe

Wait what, Toovey didn't think the Warriors were impressive, after thrashing the premier favourites at home by 20 odd points?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  14. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Kata Fan Club President

That was my thoughts too. Was thinking it must have been a typo and he was impressed with the performance.

15. mjak123
    Join:
    Sep 8, 2013

mjak123 Warriors Bench Player

Yes thats what he said,, you can view it on NRL.COM... I thought at the time ...what game was he watching...Roorters made heaps of mistakes but that came about because of the strong attack and defence our boys forced on them... I have found Toovey negative on our team in each post this year.. Kimorley has been on the bandwagon for three weeks

16. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 .....

Thats what he said.

17. BeastMode
    Join:
    Mar 7, 2015

BeastMode Warriors 1st Grader

Clearly he was taking the piss....

18. Stalefish540
    Join:
    May 13, 2017

Stalefish540 .....

It was more like watering down Kimmorleys Warriors love by saying ehhh they weren't that good as the roosters were so bad. Something to that effect from memory.

19. mrblonde
    Join:
    Apr 14, 2012

mrblonde 1st Grade Fringe

Which is completely valid. The Roosters didn't make us play great football. We played well, but there's still improvements to come. Same as tonight.

20. Inruin
    Join:
    May 19, 2012

Inruin Kata Fan Club President

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.

Warriors prepared for almighty fight to keep best young players

• Smith says a factor in that has been the raids by Australian clubs, who have been picking up the best Kiwi players at a younger age.

"One of the things I've learnt since I've been here, which horrifies me, is that in recent seasons the starting point where talented rugby league players' careers begin is in some cases 14 years of age," Smith said.

"That's when other NRL clubs are coming here and identifying and signing players.

"There is a player right now who is 14 and he's being courted by an NRL club, with an offer that would blow your mind.

Link has been hidden. Please Register to view.
      "So our choice is either leave the door open for the foxes to come in and take the hens, or we can fight back and do something about it.

"So we're in the process of making determinations about what the future holds for us, as a development club."

It goes against Smith's personal beliefs to sign up players so young and there is always the possibility of another Etene Nanai-Seturo scenario happening, where he stays in New Zealand, but then decides to switch codes.

"I feel it's very unhealthy for the game, but we have to go there," Smith said.

"About 30 players are leaving and have been leaving in each of the past few seasons, since these clubs have been raiding New Zealand for 15-year-olds.

"That's the reality. Are they getting all the best ones? They probably had pretty much open slather at it, so they should have been able to pick the best ones.

"But it doesn't mean that we haven't got good ones, because we've got some who we're very confident will become NRL players."

However, Smith said the exodus has to end and the club will be more more proactive in identifying and recruiting the best young New Zealanders.

"I feel like there's got to be a fightback by us," he said.

"We've got to get in and get dirty, if that's what it takes. Even if it doesn't look right to me that 15-year-olds and their parents are being asked to sign agreements."

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.