General 2018 Warriors Members Forum

They said something should be released within 24 hours. My impression is he is a goner, and considering he is in so much promotional advertising it seems a relatively recent decision. Something must have happened to piss the management because the impression I got is they are disappointed in him.

I got the impression that SK, George and Brian Smith are all on the same page, which is interesting and positive. They also admitted the balance of the squad is not what they would like it to be.

Sorry the balance of the squad comment. Is that by age/experience or position/style of player? Cheers

bruce

Contributor
We can revisit this in 5 years coz that's how much time they've just bought themselves.
Just IMO but I like George. Why? Because like me he throws in F bombs and the like, so he says what he thinks and isn't a manufactured PR pussy. Also I didn't know he is mainly of Lebanese descent. This guy is a winner, has plans, and most importantly compared to God Doyle leaves running the football department to guys who actually know something about the game.

Reactions: Tony Martin
They said something should be released within 24 hours. My impression is he is a goner, and considering he is in so much promotional advertising it seems a relatively recent decision. Something must have happened to piss the management because the impression I got is they are disappointed in him.

I got the impression that SK, George and Brian Smith are all on the same page, which is interesting and positive. They also admitted the balance of the squad is not what they would like it to be.

I thought some questioners were right on the button e.g.

Kata's passing. SK didn't dodge this. I think he said he is working on it and to expect some improvement this season. There was some applause for this question and SK looked a little surprised at that. He obviously doesn't log on here. He summed up by saying defences expect Kata not to pass, so when he does pass this season tries will be scored. That was bloody good news but I don't know the meeting believed it.;)

Line and goalkicking. SK didn't dodge this either and mentioned Shaun Johnson's 75% conversion rate this season. Considering that our points deficit compared to the Storm was only 3 points per game (did I get that right guys??). My guess is that was at least one factor in Shaun Johnson not being worth the money.

Why did they let Mason Lino go? SK said they were not in a position to offer him a contract at the time Newcastle offered him two years, end of story. He added that by the time they were able to offer him a contract he had already decided to go.

Somebody asked about Jazz Tevaga. Clearly SK is a fan of Jazz and mentioned his Dally M. He mentioned that Jazz had a big heart. SK is also clearly a fan of Kata and Ken Maumolo.

SK greeted our Mount Wellington by calling him Bunty;):D!! Take a bow Mount Wellington:happy:

Also, SK mentioned that the fitness levels of the squad are way ahead of this time last season:), also that improvement on skills targets is also ahead. So he expects further improvement on 2018. He dodged the bullet on whether he thinks we are GF material but he thinks we can make the top four and wants to be there.

For the record SK s not stupid and is not a dumb speaker. Sure he wouldn't win a top award at Toastmasters, which doesn't concern me because we have already had the likes of Matt Elliott and John Monie, say no more. Somebody asked about his family being in Brisbane still, so although he didn't raise it clearly he is sacrificing a lot to be at this club. That leaves me in no doubt he wants to succeed and sure has a good team around him to help him do so.

There was no mention of God Doyle, and I get the impression he will be a distant memory before long. This outfit seem an entirely different proposition to those days.

Somebody questioned SK about the poor performance of the under 20s. He said that is because the best of the Kiwi kids are paying in Sydney because they believed they would get a better chance at playing NRL over there. He didn't say too much about the former regime but did say they were not getting enough youngsters to stay here. They clearly intend to address that. Smith and O'Sullivan have been doing a lot of travelling seeking out talent.

Avoided questions included a replacement half. Just IMO but I thought that was well and truly dodged. Lips were tight but the body language indicated to me something might happen here. Watch this space.

All in all a very positive meeting.

God I would have gone along just to see what Mt Wellington looks like!!

• Haha
Reactions: Citygirl
Just IMO but I like George. Why? Because like me he throws in F bombs and the like, so he says what he thinks and isn't a manufactured PR pussy. Also I didn't know he is mainly of Lebanese descent. This guy is a winner, has plans, and most importantly compared to God Doyle leaves running the football department to guys who actually know something about the game.

Mate if swearing Lebanese guys is your thing u really need to get yourself to a bulldogs game.

bruce

Contributor
Mate if swearing Lebanese guys is your thing u really need to get yourself to a bulldogs game.
I compare him to that smooth talking Scot we had, and who had me sucked in like most of the press for a time. I know who I have more faith in.

I thought some questioners were right on the button e.g.

Kata's passing. SK didn't dodge this. I think he said he is working on it and to expect some improvement this season. There was some applause for this question and SK looked a little surprised at that. He obviously doesn't log on here. He summed up by saying defences expect Kata not to pass, so when he does pass this season tries will be scored. That was bloody good news but I don't know the meeting believed it.;)

Line and goalkicking. SK didn't dodge this either and mentioned Shaun Johnson's 75% conversion rate this season. Considering that our points deficit compared to the Storm was only 3 points per game (did I get that right guys??). My guess is that was at least one factor in Shaun Johnson not being worth the money.

Why did they let Mason Lino go? SK said they were not in a position to offer him a contract at the time Newcastle offered him two years, end of story. He added that by the time they were able to offer him a contract he had already decided to go.

Somebody asked about Jazz Tevaga. Clearly SK is a fan of Jazz and mentioned his Dally M. He mentioned that Jazz had a big heart. SK is also clearly a fan of Kata and Ken Maumolo.

SK greeted our Mount Wellington by calling him Bunty;):D!! Take a bow Mount Wellington:happy:

Also, SK mentioned that the fitness levels of the squad are way ahead of this time last season:), also that improvement on skills targets is also ahead. So he expects further improvement on 2018. He dodged the bullet on whether he thinks we are GF material but he thinks we can make the top four and wants to be there.

For the record SK s not stupid and is not a dumb speaker. Sure he wouldn't win a top award at Toastmasters, which doesn't concern me because we have already had the likes of Matt Elliott and John Monie, say no more. Somebody asked about his family being in Brisbane still, so although he didn't raise it clearly he is sacrificing a lot to be at this club. That leaves me in no doubt he wants to succeed and sure has a good team around him to help him do so.

There was no mention of God Doyle, and I get the impression he will be a distant memory before long. This outfit seem an entirely different proposition to those days.

Somebody questioned SK about the poor performance of the under 20s. He said that is because the best of the Kiwi kids are paying in Sydney because they believed they would get a better chance at playing NRL over there. He didn't say too much about the former regime but did say they were not getting enough youngsters to stay here. They clearly intend to address that. Smith and O'Sullivan have been doing a lot of travelling seeking out talent.

Avoided questions included a replacement half. Just IMO but I thought that was well and truly dodged. Lips were tight but the body language indicated to me something might happen here. Watch this space.

All in all a very positive meeting.

Thankyou for that.

Reactions: bruce
I guess everyone's take on this audio will be different, but what I hear in the first four odd minutes of this in regards to Shaun Johnson is this.....
The club will no longer be held ransom to ANYONE and I'd bet the house that in the next 24 hours, it will be made aware to us all that Shaun Johnson has been granted an immediate release from the NZ WARRIORS.
The WHY'S will fill this forum for months to come, and we may never really know the full truths or all the answer's behind it all.
I honestly think this is the true turning point for this club, and IMHO despite the sadness of it all moving forward this will prove to be the BEST decision for OUR club.
We will NEVER win this comp with Shaun Johnson in the halves sorry guy's I'm just being very honest when I say that.
I love the guy, when he's hot, he is the most amazing player in both teams on the field, but he just simply is far to inconsistent and goes missing far to much to warrent keeping the faith in.
Moving forward can be a very difficult pill to swallow at times, habit can be a hard thing to break.
Shaun Johnson thank you for all your services and effort, I along with many others I'm sure, will wish you all the very best with your future.
If I was SK I'd put Roger Tuivasa-Sheck in at 6 Green in at 7 AND Fusitua to 1 I'd then move kata to wing. Just my opinion boys don't kill me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dangerous
I guess everyone's take on this audio will be different, but what I hear in the first four odd minutes of this in regards to Shaun Johnson is this.....
The club will no longer be held ransom to ANYONE and I'd bet the house that in the next 24 hours, it will be made aware to us all that Shaun Johnson has been granted an immediate release from the NZ WARRIORS.
The WHY'S will fill this forum for months to come, and we may never really know the full truths or all the answer's behind it all.
I honestly think this is the true turning point for this club, and IMHO despite the sadness of it all moving forward this will prove to be the BEST decision for OUR club.
We will NEVER win this comp with Shaun Johnson in the halves sorry guy's I'm just being very honest when I say that.
I love the guy, when he's hot, he is the most amazing player in both teams on the field, but he just simply is far to inconsistent and goes missing far to much to warrent keeping the faith in.
Moving forward can be a very difficult pill to swallow at times, habit can be a hard thing to break.
Shaun Johnson thank you for all your services and effort, I along with many others I'm sure, will wish you all the very best with your future.
If I was SK I'd put Roger Tuivasa-Sheck in at 6 Green in at 7 AND fuss to 1 I'd then move kata to wing. Just my opinion boys don't kill me.
Agree with you on everything except Roger Tuivasa-Sheck to 6.
Move Fusitua to centre if he needs moving