• Peta Hiku

• Anthony Gelling

• Blake Ayshford

• Gerard Beale

• Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad

Results are only viewable after voting.
Reaction score

WarriorBall

Just seen this thread, this is what I posted in the, who we should buy thread.

We have serious issues with our centres. One who cant defend to save himself and isnt a super star but ok on offense, the other is a defnese machine and semi ok on offense but a bit of ball hog.

I think we should chase Euan Aitken. Hes clearly an offensive centre who is pretty good on defense, 85% efficiency, 2 miss tackles a game is better than Hikus average of 5 missed tackles a game at 74% efficiency. Euan has 7 tries this season, 30 tackle breaks and 7 clean line breaks. Hes young, hes switched on.

https://www.dragons.com.au/teams/telstra-premiership/st-george-illawarra-dragons/euan-aitken/

What is his contract status at St George?
So your saying our next recruitment move should be for another Centre??

Reaction score

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
So your saying our next recruitment move should be for another Centre??
Im saying its one move to complete a quality offensive line, yes Id like SPECIFIC centres and to release the host of average ones we contain. Id like Graham as well in the forwards.

But if we can get a centre who doesnt just pass but also steps and scores long range tries and tackles like a beast, wtf not?

We are bleeding points through Hiku and its only going to get worse.

So yes, we should be releasing some and looking at hiring quality ones, should Beale not work out to be that high quality centre he once was.

Reaction score

WarriorBall

Im saying its one move to complete a quality offensive line, yes Id like SPECIFIC centres and to release the host of average ones we contain. Id like Graham as well in the forwards.

But if we can get a centre who doesnt just pass but also steps and scores long range tries and tackles like a beast, wtf not?

We are bleeding points through Hiku and its only going to get worse.

So yes, we should be releasing some and looking at hiring quality ones, should Beale not work out to be that high quality centre he once was.
Passing is actually a real weakness in Aitken's game but regardless you'll have to wait until 2021 before he's a free agent again.

Gelling & Hiku are on close to minimum wage, Ayshford probably not much more, you won't buy a quality centre with their money and you'd still need to hold onto both Kata & Beale.

It just doesn't stack up, we have room in the cap for a Nrl quality middle forward and as far as I know that's exactly what Brian Smith is targeting.

Reaction score

AusWarriorsFan

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Passing is actually a real weakness in Aitken's game but regardless you'll have to wait until 2021 before he's a free agent again.

Gelling & Hiku are on close to minimum wage, Ayshford probably not much more, you won't buy a quality centre with their money and you'd still need to hold onto both Kata & Beale.

It just doesn't stack up, we have room in the cap for a Nrl quality middle forward and as far as I know that's exactly what Brian Smith is targeting.
Thanks, Ive been chasing that Aitken contract info. Damn. Then I say give Beale the go after 2 ISPs, if he sucks, cut him and get some Tackling quality ASAP. and Id like to know who else we have sucking up some coin. When is Graham off contract at Dragons? I cant imagine soon as hes just got there.

Reaction score

warriors4eva

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
the problem we have that both our centres have weaknesses.

One cant pass, the other cant defend.

Maybe Beale in or Hiku, Hiku to the bench, he is the size of a forward, shit but he cant defend, scratch that LOL !!

Reaction score
AlexM

AlexM

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
So I am new to league and I have a question for the crew about centres and wingers.

I have observed that if a winger gets bundled into touch it is a bigger deal in league than it is in union. IE it ends the attacking set of the league team while in union it won't be long before someone kicks the pill back to you.

With this insight in mind are you better off, in league, putting your truely talented backs at centre where they will receive more ball. IE it strikes me in league you don't really want to pass to your wing unless it is really on due to the risk of him being bundled into touch as I have outlined.

I mean obviously you need to be a better defender to be a centre but is there more to choosing someone to be a centre over a winger? ie that the centres see way more pill?

I was wondering why Hiku didn't pass more to Fus until i thought about this issue.

Sorry if this sounds bleeding obvious, and no flames please as I am still learning.

Thanks
Centers are like your strike out wide.
But really important defensively as they make the decisions on the edge to shoot or slide or cover etc. It's one of the hardest positions to become a pro in. Some teams just throw a backrower there for solid defense.

The winger is a worse FB playing way out wide because there D is usually suspect. They are your aerial threat and defense usually. Modern wingers get sets started. Some like Ken do this as well as a prop.

But yeah, the center only unleashes his winger really if he drops back inside or has nothing but open space in front of him, otherwise he's going out. Really depends on how fast/ evasive for winger/ center pairing is.

Reaction score
wallacenz

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
2 moments in that game that led to Eels tries:

Beale laying all over the ball on 5th tackle, wtf
Hiku stepping to the sideline, another wtf

Reaction score
Deranged

Deranged

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
2 moments in that game that led to Eels tries:

Beale laying all over the ball on 5th tackle, wtf
Hiku stepping to the sideline, another wtf
Yep, but people think kata will be replaced.

Reaction score
wallacenz

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Yep, but people think kata will be replaced.
I think those people may be a bit biased, Kata has been bagged a lot the last couple of years, but the truth is that this year and last year the Warriors looked like a worse team without him

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
POLL RESET
Here are the results of the last poll based on voting from two weeks ago. We'll look to reset again in a wee while...

Centre vote 1.JPG

Reaction score
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Reaction score
Hiku makes me nervous. Kata is pretty boringly reliable these days, makes his tackles, takes his runs. Youd have to wait for SJ to come back to fairly judge Beale, he'd suddenly get heaps more room on the right.

Reaction score
wallacenz

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Hiku has worked so well with SJ and Fusitua, I dont see why they would replace him. SJ has that skip to the right and Hiku is direct and strong enough to engage the opposition centre and wing and offload to Fusitua. Hiku seems able to work in little space

Reaction score
Sup42

Sup42

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Looking forward to Beale having more than one game under his belt fitness wise to make a realistic call on his impact in the side.

Thought he was solid for a guy that has been out so long running in a new line up.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Looking forward to Beale having more than one game under his belt fitness wise to make a realistic call on his impact in the side.

Thought he was solid for a guy that has been out so long running in a new line up.
He'll only get better I reckon. Bit sad but someone will have to make way for him...

Reaction score

jonesy101

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
There is such a log jam of first grade capable centres at the moment that they would be better looking at Gelling transitioning into a ball playing second rower for squad depth. He's got the size, perhaps just a little on the light side.

Reaction score
Uncmase

Uncmase

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Hiku has the most potential out of all our centres. Hes a good size(Could put on a bit more muscle)
He's got fancy feet. Makes good yardage and is elusive. Is a good off loader and better than average passing game.

Defensively terrible. I put it down to being lazy.
We've seen him make spot tackles and pull of a few big hits. I don't think technique is a problem.
It's the arm grabs. Fixable though.
Mental application is what's lacking.

He might need to move in with Corvo & Wiki and get it bashed into him lol

Top Bottom