General 2016 Warriors Offseason/Preseason Thread

Can anyone guess what exactly is the coaching staff seeing that everyone else is missing?

Hard out! I have no idea what they are thinking to be honest.

I would much rather have someone in the mold of a Wells that can catch, finish and has a bit of speed.

Reactions: 1 user
Hard out! I have no idea what they are thinking to be honest.

I would much rather have someone in the mold of a Wells that can catch, finish and has a bit of speed.

I like the look of Wells, before he pulled up lame with a bung hammy he looks to have a bit of pace, has the height and the footy smarts, can definitely see him on the wing in FG some time this season

Reactions: 1 users

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Bit of trainspotting, only squad guys we won’t have seen between this trial and the 9s are:

Simon Mannering (parental leave)
Sione Lousi (coming back from injury)
Thomas Leuluai (coming back from injury)
Toafofoa Sipley (coming back from injury)
David Fusitua (pulled from 9s, injury?)
Bodene Thompson (dunno)
Mason Lino (dunno)
John Palavi (dunno)
Ali Lauitiiti (old age)

Might see a few more next week and then the waiting is almost over. Are they going to do an inter squad game again this year?

Ali Lauitiiti (old age)

Thought we might get to see a bit of the old fella at the Nines.. beginning to think this might be another George Carmont type scenario..

The thought of him playing FG is awesome but the pre season training might be a step too far perhaps?

Probably the pace and intensity of an NRL pre season and time might have passed him by, hope not.

Jordan G

I think most People want Maumalo in the forwards because they never got to see it with Manu?

Probably that size and the way he brings that ball back hard looks like he'll be more suited to the pack

I want him in the forwards because he has no business being on the wing.

While Manu may have some flaws he still has good top end speed and always had surprising acceleration (when not required to turn). He could finish with the best of them. Hands and defense (mainly positioning) were the two things that let him down. Despite that he's often been referred to as one of, if not the best winger in the comp at various times.

Maumalo has all of Manu's weaknesses without the positives in regards to wing play. He's got size, that's about it. Doesn't have the speed or acceleration and can't finish. Has no business being on the wing and trying to manufacture him to play there is simply ruining any chances he has of having a successful career.

Would loved to be proven wrong on this, but I don't see it happening sadly.

I want him in the forwards because he has no business being on the wing.

While Manu may have some flaws he still has good top end speed and always had surprising acceleration (when not required to turn). He could finish with the best of them. Hands and defense (mainly positioning) were the two things that let him down. Despite that he's often been referred to as one of, if not the best winger in the comp at various times.

Maumalo has all of Manu's weaknesses without the positives in regards to wing play. He's got size, that's about it. Doesn't have the speed or acceleration and can't finish. Has no business being on the wing and trying to manufacture him to play there is simply ruining any chances he has of having a successful career.

Would loved to be proven wrong on this, but I don't see it happening sadly.

I've said many times Maumalo's nothing like Manu.. Manu really is beastly I haven't seen that in Ken.

As you mentioned for any winger their best asset should be finishing above all else. I've seen Ken get bundled into touch so easily I thought it was quite pathetic on his part.

If he hasn't got the heart on the wing then he'll get his ass owned in the forwards, that'll be like throwing a cat to the dogs.

Jordan G

I've said many times Maumalo's nothing like Manu.. Manu really is beastly I haven't seen that in Ken.

As you mentioned for any winger their best asset should be finishing above all else. I've seen Ken get bundled into touch so easily I thought it was quite pathetic on his part.

If he hasn't got the heart on the wing then he'll get his ass owned in the forwards, that'll be like throwing a cat to the dogs.

I think we're thinking of the same game, just can't remember who it was against. Might have been the Dragons because I have a feeling he got owned by Widdop and whoever the winger was on seperate occasions (pretty sure they had an injury crisis in the backs and threw someone in there last minute).

He has heart. His debut game he got smashed a couple of times, but never stopped coming. The following weeks he looked more and more comfortable carting the ball back, but that was it. Like you I wouldn't throw him into the first grade pack, but I would be conditioning him for the pack in NSW Cup.

Keeping him on the wing does nobody any good, especially him.