mode81

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2012
Gutted for Ligi Sao.. showed some real promise working in combination with Luke in the Titans trial, hopefully he'll recover quickly.

Little concerned with RTS.. seems to be getting a few niggles and it's only pre season. Tight hammy & calf in the Nines.. pulled out of the All Stars and injured in the Dragons trial. That's not a good sign.

Reactions: mt.wellington

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
Little concerned with RTS.. seems to be getting a few niggles and it's only pre season.
Maybe just looking after himself, SBW was like that as well. Didn't impress the Crusaders with his antics when he was down there.

koolkat

1st Grade Fringe
May 18, 2012
Nelson
looked more lower leg was at other half of field so don't shoot the messenger but he looked in a bit of pain and the trainers were busy with him he was struggling to put weight on it and trying to walk it off .
I saw I'm wave the trainers away and tried running it off with no luck and was pulled.may off been a cork he was best defender out there too.the guy definitely puts his body on the line

Last edited:
Reactions: bruce

bruce

Warriors 1st Grader
Contributor
Sep 1, 2015
he was best defender out there too.the guy definitely puts his body on the line
Thats why he gets injured. Mannering is the same but seems to be able to play on, Doc Mayhew reckons he plays through a lot of pain.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Warriors signing Ligi Sao ruled out for first two games of NRL season
DAVID LONG
Last updated 14:18, February 24 2016
1456276720108.jpg

The Warriors will be without lock Ligi Sao for at least the first two weeks of the season while he recovers from a dislocated shoulder.

Sao, who signed for the club from the Sea Eagles last year, had looked like cementing himself in the No 13 jersey for the Warriors this season but in last weekend's trial game against the Dragons in Nelson he suffered a dislocation of his left shoulder.

Scans revealed the damage to the 23-year-old's shoulder wasn't as severe as first feared.

The club's medical team has decided Sao should rehab the shoulder for three weeks and then the situation will be assessed again.

It could be decided at that stage Sao would need an operation, but that's the worst-case scenario and the best possibility is he misses the games against Wests Tigers and Broncos and returns for the first home game of the season against the Storm on March 20.

Given that the Warriors start their new campaign on an eight-game losing streak and were ravaged by injuries at the end of the 2015 season, the last piece of news their coach Andrew McFadden would have wanted to hear was that he's already lost one of his key recruits for this year.

The situation isn't helped with other back-rowers also under an injury cloud.

Last year's back-row was Bodene Thompson, Ryan Hoffman and Simon Mannering.

Thompson travelled with the team to Nelson for last weekend's trial, but didn't play because of an injury.

Another back-row option, Raymond Faitala-Mariner, who scored three tries in the trial game against the Titans the previous weekend, has also been battling an injury.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...o-ruled-out-for-first-two-games-of-nrl-season

Reactions: surfin

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Bodene Thompson, Manu Vatuvei and Roger Tuivasa-Sheck have all been taken off the injury list after playing in our Round 1 loss to the Tigers. RTS had bruised ribs and Manu was concussed in the trial against the Dragons in Nelson. Bodene was coming back from ankle reconstruction in the off season.

Also off the list was David Fusitua who played NSW Cup in their Round 1 loss to the Steelers. He has been off injured since Round 19 of last year.

Sadly we add Ben Henry back on the list in what may be his third season ending injury in as many years. Poor bloke just cant catch a break.

If you know of others Ive missed let me know...

Henry injury 'not looking good'
Sun 6th March, 02:01PM
cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (3).jpeg

Vodafone Warriors second rower Ben Henry will need scans over the next few days to determine the full extent of the leg injury which forced him off the field midway through the first half of yesterday’s first-round NRL clash against Wests Tigers at Campbelltown Sports Stadium.

Henry was playing his 52nd NRL match, his first since a season-ending ACL injury in the fourth-round match against Brisbane in March last year.

He’d come through trials against Gold Coast and St George Illawarra untroubled but his twice-operated-on left knee was caught awkwardly when he made a tackle in the 20th minute of last night’s match.

“It’s not looking good. I’m shattered for him personally and so is everyone else,” said Vodafone Warriors head coach Andrew McFadden.

“Ben worked so hard to be ready for the start of the season and was really looking forward to stringing some games together. This is devastating.”

The initial diagnosis is Henry has either dislocated the patella in his left knee or he has ruptured his quad.

https://www.warriors.kiwi/content/warriors/club/news/2016/03/06/henry_injury_not_loo.html

Current Injury List

Updated 06/03/16

18/05/15 Thomas Leuluai - Knee - Round 5 - LinkLinkLink
22/06/15 Toafofoa Sipley - Knee - Round 4 - ACL tear. Has had surgery LinkLink
10/11/15Sione Lousi - Wrist - March - Required surgery on his wrist
01/12/15Mason Lino - Ankle - Round 2 - Ankle surgery in December Link
13/02/16Henare Wells - Hamstring - Round 3 - Tore hammy in the Titans trial LinkLink
20/02/16 Ligi Sao - Shoulder - Round 4-5 - Dislocated shoulder during Dragons trial Link
05/03/16 Ben Henry - Knee - Indefinite - Injured his knee in the Round 1 loss to the Tigers Link

No Longer Injured

31/03/14
Ben Henry - Knee - Round 1 - ACL rupture Link Played Trial vs Titans, Whangarei.
25/07/15 Shaun Johnson - Knee & Ankle - Round 1 - Broke the fibula and partially dislocated his ankle. Had surgery LinkLinkLink Played Auckland Nines
06/08/15 Nathaniel Roache - Pectoral injury - Round 1 - Injured against Newton Jets Link Played Auckland Nines
08/08/15 Manu Vatuvei - Shoulder - Round 1 LinkLink Played Trial vs Titans, Whangarei.
22/08/15 Jacob Lillyman - Cheek - Round 1 - Broke his cheekbone in the 1st minute of the Cowboys R24 game. Requires surgery. Played Auckland Nines
19/07/15 David Fusitua - Knee - Round 1 - Taken off the field early in Round 19 against the Roosters LinkLinkLink Played NSW Cup R1 vs Steelers
01/12/15 Bodene Thompson - Ankle - Round 1 - Ankle reconstruction in December Link Played NRL R1 vs Tigers
20/02/16 Manu Vatuvei - Concussion - Round 1 - Suffered concussion during the Dragons trial Link Played NRL R1 vs Tigers
20/02/16 Roger Tuivasa-Sheck - Ribs - Round 1 - Bruised ribs during the Dragons trial Link Played NRL R1 vs Tigers

cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (2).jpeg cq5dam.web.1280.1280 (1).jpeg cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg 12794342_895467120571186_7298182573994924143_n.jpg

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Henry's outlook yet to be determined
Richard Becht
Tue 8th March, 12:45PM
1457394670414.jpg
Ben Henry injured Tigers v Warriors NRL rugby league match at Campbelltown Stadium, Campbelltown Australia. Saturday 5 March 2016. Photo: Paul Seiser/Photosport.nz

Vodafone Warriors second rower Ben Henry will have surgery tomorrow on his injured left leg but his recovery time is yet to be determined.

The 24-year-old, playing his first NRL game in a year, was helped from the field after 20 minutes of the Vodafone Warriors’ season-opening loss to Wests Tigers at Campbelltown Sports Stadium on Saturday.

Vodafone Warriors head of athletic performance Balin Cupples said scans hadn’t fully confirmed the nature of the damage.

“The initial diagnosis was damage to his patella but the full extent of it or how long he’ll be out for won’t be known until after the operation has been done,” he said.

Henry had two season-ending ACL injuries to his left knee in 2013 and 2015.

https://www.warriors.kiwi/content/warriors/club/news/2016/03/08/henry_s_outlook_yet_.html

Swanley

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 13, 2012
Tonbridge, Kent, UK
Actually, I see that as a positive for Henry that the diagnosis is currently unknown ....having said that, If he is out for another year, I think he should retire and take up Rugby...

Jordan G

Said something similar in the game thread. Once the operation is done and he's on the road to recovery I'd be sitting him down and at least asking what his plans after football are. He's got a good 50+ years of walking in front of him, a whole life to live and options to explore. As hard as it might be, he has to think long term.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Surgery confirms broken patella
Wed 9th March, 06:56PM
1457503462141.jpg

Surgery today has confirmed Vodafone Warriors second rower Ben Henry has a broken patella in his left knee but it has also revealed no ligament damage or ruptured quadriceps as initially feared.

Club medical staff say it is still too early to forecast Henry’s full recovery.

Henry (24) had two reconstructions after season-ending ACL injuries to his left knee in 2013 and 2015.

After playing in two trials last month, he was making his first NRL appearance in almost a year when he started last Saturday’s clash against Wests Tigers.

He had to be helped off the field after his left leg was caught awkwardly while making a tackle 20 minutes into the game.

https://www.warriors.kiwi/content/warriors/club/news/2016/03/09/surgery_confirms_bro.html

Swanley

1st Grade Fringe
Apr 13, 2012
Tonbridge, Kent, UK
Surgery confirms broken patella
Wed 9th March, 06:56PM
1457503462141.jpg

Surgery today has confirmed Vodafone Warriors second rower Ben Henry has a broken patella in his left knee but it has also revealed no ligament damage or ruptured quadriceps as initially feared.

Club medical staff say it is still too early to forecast Henry’s full recovery.

Henry (24) had two reconstructions after season-ending ACL injuries to his left knee in 2013 and 2015.

After playing in two trials last month, he was making his first NRL appearance in almost a year when he started last Saturday’s clash against Wests Tigers.

He had to be helped off the field after his left leg was caught awkwardly while making a tackle 20 minutes into the game.

https://www.warriors.kiwi/content/warriors/club/news/2016/03/09/surgery_confirms_bro.html
Wow, he needs to retire. He must have a body not suited to a high impact sport.

Hope he has a speedy recovery and the Warriors do the right thing and don't let him back onto the field as a player.

STEEDEN

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 7, 2014
Auckland
NRL: Injured Henry far from alone

GettyImages-513847884_620x310.jpg

Warriors fans feared the worst when utility Ben Henry went down with yet another left knee injury. Could the 24-year-old utility's career be over before it had really started?
After returning from two reconstructions in the past three years, Henry was assisted off Campbelltown on Saturday after suffering a broken kneecap when Wests Tigers prop Tim Grant fell on him. Henry looked in a state of shock.

He will be out for at least three months, having already spent nearly two years in rehabilitation mode, but has expressed his determination to resume his career.

"I've had to overcome a lot in my life and this could just be another hurdle that I'll overcome," said Henry, among the most respected and reliable players to emerge from the Warriors development system.

While Henry's situation may seem bad, other NRL players have come back from far worse injury runs. The most famous is the one endured by the Australian braveheart Brent Tate, while the former Kiwis captain Benji Marshall had to fight past a stack of major shoulder problems.

And if Henry is looking for inspiration from closer to home in desperate times, a Warriors legend offers plenty of light at the end of the tunnel.

Awen Guttenbeil, the former backrow forward who is now a commentator, played just 32 matches in his first five seasons after a horror injury run before becoming a Warriors mainstay with 138 appearances over the next six years.

Guttenbeil told the Herald yesterday that he inherited loose ligaments which caused some of his problems. A plan was devised in which he trained with the team just once a week and from there on, his career took off. He also played 10 tests for the Kiwis and represented Tonga.

Guttenbeil told the Herald: "It was horrible to see what happened to Ben but it is just bad luck in his case You need a belief that you will get through it and I'm sure Ben will. He's already shown how strong he is by what he's been through.

"Playing for the Kiwis had always been my goal since I was a kid. That gave me the drive and ambition. I had a blind faith that one day I would get there. It gave me the strength to get around all the obstacles.

"I was riding solo so I had to really believe that I was as good if not better than all the players who could train five days a week. You have to win the battle with your mind first."

Many people believed Marshall's career was doomed so bad were his shoulder problems while Tate is a league miracle. He not only survived a shocking injury toll, but remained one of the most combative players in the representative and NRL arenas. His book Iron Will described the agonies he went through.

He admitted to hating the game at times, especially when his neck injury was causing so many problems. His mother pleaded with him to retire after he suffered a broken jaw.

"I hate to think what mum and my wife, Lani, have gone through," he wrote. "I almost feel sick in the stomach, thinking what I put myself through. I feel sad sometimes."

BRENT TATE (Australia, Queensland, Broncos, Warriors, Cowboys)
Career: 2001 - 2014. Tests: 26. State of Origin: 23. NRL: 229.
4 knee reconstructions
9 ankle operations
2 knee arthroscopies
Shoulder, groin and throat surgery.
Broken jaw

From 2005, played with a neck brace after suffering career-threatening whiplash.

Tate: "Part of the reason I kept going was, simply I loved playing footy. Part of it was this was all I knew. It was putting food on the table...I saw this as a test of my character."

BENJI MARSHALL (Kiwis, Tigers, Dragons, Blues rugby)
Career: 2003 -. Tests: 27. NRL: 240. Super Rugby: 6.
2 left shoulder dislocations requiring reconstruction in 2004
4 right shoulder operations including full reconstruction in late 2008 involving bone graft.
cheekbone fracture
torn knee ligament

From 2004 - 2009 Marshall missed 49 matches. In 2010 he received a Wests Tigers Ironman award for playing in every NRL game that season.

AWEN GUTTENBEIL (Kiwis, Tonga, Warriors, Castleford)
Career: Tests: 13. NRL: 170. Super League: 20.
2 shoulder reconstructions
knee reconstruction
broken leg
ankle reconstruction
2 hernia operations
2 bone spur operations

Guttenbeil: "I worked out that in the first five seasons, I spent more time under general anaesthetic than I did on the football field."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11603362

Freddie Futler

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 10, 2013
Tauranga
Brent Tate (Australia, Queensland, Broncos, Warriors, Cowboys)
Career: 2001 - 2014. Tests: 26. State of Origin: 23. NRL: 229.
4 knee reconstructions
9 ankle operations
2 knee arthroscopies
Shoulder, groin and throat surgery.
Broken jaw

From 2005, played with a neck brace after suffering career-threatening whiplash.

Tate: "Part of the reason I kept going was, simply I loved playing footy. Part of it was this was all I knew. It was putting food on the table...I saw this as a test of my character."
Good on ya mate, you still rate up there as one of my all time favourite imports.

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 21, 2012
Why should he have to retire? I don't think the Warriors have Ben Henry on a magic deal, so if he's got the fight, perhaps his determination to overcome adversity is something that might inspire others to push through the barrier of their limits. Personally, I thought he was massively overrated coming out of the 20s system, but his defence is good, he can punch through the line, and he usually tries to get a quick play the ball. He's a bit Lewis Brown like, he'll have a crack at anything for the team. I also don't think this injury shows his body has a weak constitution - its not related to the other injuries, he had a gigantor fall straight on his prone knee cap. That's just shocking luck frankly.

Good luck Ben, this is your dream and I think reading through Awen Guttenbeil's story, you can do this. Tate's another...

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Injured players still being assessed
Richard Becht
Mon 14th March, 02:54PM
1457922232181.jpg
Rugby League NRL - Brisbane Broncos v New Zealand Warriors , Suncorp Stadium , Brisbane Australia - 11 March 2016 Warriors' Manu Vatuvei suffers an injury Jason O'Brien / www.photosport.nz

Four Vodafone Warriors NRL players are undergoing further assessment after being injured at the weekend.

Blake Ayshford (concussion) and Manu Vatuvei (ribs) left the field either side of halftime in Friday night’s 10-25 second-round loss to the Brisbane Broncos at Suncorp Stadium.

It is yet to be confirmed when they’ll be available. Likewise interchange prop Sam Lisone has a shoulder injury which is being assessed.

David Fusitua is having an ankle injury looked at after leaving the field in the Vodafone Warriors’ 44-6 Intrust Super Premiership win over Wests Tigers on Saturday.

Back rower Ben Henry is out indefinitely after having surgery last week to repair the broken patella in his left knee while prop Ligi Sao’s return date is yet to be confirmed after he dislocated his left shoulder in the March 20 trial against St George Illawarra in Nelson.

Several players who have been on the injured list could return to action in the next two to three weeks.

Prop Charlie Gubb and wing Ken Maumalo are both available again this weekend after serving suspensions.

The Vodafone Warriors are at home for the first time on Sunday staging a tripleheader for their 2016 debut at Mount Smart Stadium.

The action starts with the Vodafone Warriors facing the Newtown Jets at 11.45am (gates open at 11.30am) followed by the NYC encounter between the Vodafone Junior Warriors (1.45pm kick-off) and the Michael Moore Trophy contest between the Vodafone Warriors and the Storm (4.00pm kick-off).

VODAFONE WARRIORS | INJURY LIST

Blake Ayshford (concussion) | TBC

David Fusitua (ankle) | TBC

Ben Henry (patella) | Indefinite

Thomas Leuluai (knee) | Round 5

Mason Lino (knee) | Round 5

Sam Lisone (shoulder) TBC

Sione Lousi (wrist) | Round 5

Ligi Sao (shoulder) | TBC

Toafofoa Sipley (knee) | Round 5

Manu Vatuvei (ribs) | TBC

Henare Wells (hamstring) | Round 3-4

SUSPENSION

Charlie Gubb | Round 3

Ken Maumalo | Round 3

https://www.warriors.kiwi/content/warriors/club/news/2016/03/14/injured_players_stil.html

Parramatta Eels Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane Rate Match

Last Game

16 May

18 - 34
4.4 Total Avg Rating
1.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 11 ratings