General 2015 Warriors Where Are They Now?

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
101 Jeremiah Pai - Played in the 2013 Pt Chev Pirates team in Aucklands Fox Memorial
Not sure on what he's doing work wise but he played for the Pirates again this year. This is a pic of him playing in the ARL Fox Memorial Grand Final which the Pirates won...

Pai.PNG

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
102 Evarn Tuimavave - ??? ESL Hull Kingston Rovers 2013 but has not been re-signed as yet.
Cant find anything on him after November 2013 when he was released from his Hull KR contract on compassionate grounds. Said to have moved back home so probably back in NZ or Newcastle...

Tuimavave returns home

The club can confirm that it has agreed to release Evarn Tuimavave from the final year of his contract on compassionate grounds.

Tuimavave, who joined the Robins on a two-year deal from Newcastle Knights ahead of the 2013 campaign, had requested a release so that he could return to the southern hemisphere to be nearer to his family.

The 29-year-old made 23 appearances in the red and white shirt, scoring two tries. Robins’ CEO, Mike Smith, commented:

“Evarn requested a release as he wanted to return home to be nearer family and friends. On behalf of everyone at the club I’d like to thank him for his contribution during 2013 and wish him all the very best for the future.”

https://www.hullkr.co.uk/on-the-pitch/news/article/tuimavave-returns-home

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
103 Karl Temata - Still playing league at 35yo for Limoux Grizzlies, France. Link
Playing for Oxford Rugby League...

Temata turns blue
29th of May 2014

Oxford were delighted to announce the signing of former London Broncos prop Karl Temata on a short term deal until the end of the season.

Temata started his career at the New Zealand Warriors where he made 52 appearances, scoring 2 tries during his time with them between 2002 and 2005. He then made the move over to join the London Broncos/Harlequins and spent the next 8 seasons with the London outfit quickly becoming a crowd favourite during his time there and was named the club’s player of the year in 2009. He went on to make 137 appearances and scored 11 tries.

The 2013 season saw Temata move over to France and join the Limoux Grizzlies before becoming player/coach of the team the following season. Under his leadership, Limoux progressed to the quarter finals where they ended up playing Villeneuve XIII but in a closely fought match they went down by 28 points to 21 to end their season early.

Karl has also played for the Cook Islands and represented them in the 2000 Rugby League World Cup staring in all 3 group games whilst scoring a try in the Cook Islands 38-6 defeat by Wales in Wrexham.

As well as playing, Karl will also be joining Tony Benson’s backroom staff to help on the coaching side of things to pass his vast experience onto the current crop of players.

On Karl’s move to the club, Oxford coach Tony Benson said “I coached him over in NZ and we have been in touch ever since. I appreciate that he has come to us when he had other offers on the table."

"Im really excited to have him here as he is a quality player and very experienced, that's why I have brought him over as player/coach to also assist me and Martin Roddy."

"He will help the younger players with their learning like Matty Hadden, Tom Davies and Chris Clarke. Also he will help the players coming through from the second team."

"He is a big strong lad, has a great pass, and is a extremely solid defender, who can play in a number of positions on the field. He's a top bloke who will do a lot to improve the makeup of our team and help take us to the next level as we are just lacking that little bit of experience in the side."

Karl was looking forward to the challenge ahead and said "Im really pleased to be here and Im looking forward to playing some footie, I wanted to help Tony out just as he did with me at the start of my career.

I want to pass some of my experience onto the younger players and help develop their game to push them onto the next level as they are a enthusiastic bunch down here who want to learn."

https://www.therfl.co.uk/news/article/30320/temata-turns-blue

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Reaction score
Wigan Warrior

Wigan Warrior

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
106 Vince Mellars - ESL Wakefield Trinity
Has been released by Wakefield. Was loaned out to Featherstone Rovers but I believe he may have retired. Think he's living in Brisbane, Australia. His LinkedIn profile has him workingat the mines but I have no idea how old that entry is for. Will have to revisit this one a bit later unless someone can fill us in.

Vince.PNG
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/vince-mellars/49/4a7/a44

Heres a pic of him from just last month (December, 2014)...

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
107 Tevita Latu - Living in Auckland. Played in the 2013 NZ Pirtek National Cup for Akarana Falcons
Not sure what he does for work but Tevita is still playing league for the Pirates and was their hooker when they won the ARL Fox Memorial in 2014.

Tevita.PNG

He featured in the 2014 trials for the Warriors playing in both the Titans and Wigan games.

Tevita+Latu+New+Zealand+v+Wigan+x482dCDwEZ9l.jpg

He was offered a chance to trial for the Warriors over the offseason and preseason but he wasnt going to get paid and had to work to support his family...

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
108 Jerome Ropati
Retired from league after yet another injury. Worked the rest of the season as an ambassador for the club and the Warriors plan on using him in some role this year...

League: Warriors' Ropati retires
10:50 AM Wednesday May 28, 2014

Warriors centre Jerome Ropati has decided to call time on his playing career. Photo / Getty

Warriors centre Jerome Ropati today announced he had decided to call time on his playing career.

The 29-year-old has had his last four seasons severely restricted by injuries, playing just 18 NRL games. Ropati's retirement ends an era in which he played across 12 NRL seasons and was a Rugby League World Cup winner with the Kiwis in 2008.

Regarded as one of the game's best centres in his prime, his last action for the Warriors came in March when he broke his jaw against the Wests Tigers, his 145th and final game.

"It's the right time for me to look ahead, to consider my family and my post-playing career," Ropati said. "It hasn't been an easy decision to reach because this isn't the way I wanted to finish. I love playing this game and I love playing for the Warriors.

"I'm still young enough to carry on but the reality is my body is telling me it's time to move on."

While ending his playing days, Ropati won't be lost to rugby league or to theWarriors. Chief executive Wayne Scurrah said Ropati would take up a role as a club ambassador for the rest of the season, with plans to consider a full-time position for the longest-serving player in the 2014 NRL squad.

"I've got so many great memories of my time as a player for both theWarriors and the Kiwis. I've also got so many mates at this club, a place which has been such a huge part of my life.

"I want to thank all the teammates I've had through the years, all the coaches, staff and members with a special thanks to the medical staff who have helped me get through my injuries."

Scurrah said the whole club shared Ropati's disappointment over his retirement.

"Jerome has been a terrific player for the Warriors and has showed so much courage and dedication in the way he has come back from his injuries," he said.

"Above all he's an exceptional person. We all have the greatest admiration for him and thank him for the huge contribution he has made both on and off the field during his playing career.

"He has always been a fantastic ambassador for the club through the work he has done in the community and the way he has conducted himself. He's has so much to offer the game off the field."

Finishing five games short of joining the club's 150-game club, Ropati (Warrior No 108) scored 54 tries, one of only six Vodafone Warriors to top 50 tries behind Manu Vatuvei, Stacey Jones, Francis Meli, Lance Hohaia and Clinton Toopi.

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11263254

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
109 Tony Martin - Finance Industry. Living in Gladstone, Queensland, Australia. Link
Working as an Electrician apprentice with Bechtel...

Tony.PNG
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/tony-martin/57/b48/87a

Apprentices get set up by Bechtel with a trade for life
14th Sep 2013 5:00 AM

QCLNG: Apprentices Tony Martin and Ashley Fankhauser have gained knowledge and experience by learning on the job.Mara Sowden

BECHTEL has taken on more than 100 apprentices at the QCLNG project on Curtis Island.

The significant milestone was celebrated at the camp's dining hall on Wednesday, with apprentices, their mentors and trainers receiving acknowledgement.

Mature-age apprentices Ashley Fankhauser, 27, and Tony Martin, 34, have been working on the QCLNG site.

Ashley as an apprentice boilermaker and Tony as an apprentice electrician.

Both apprentices received recognition of their prior learning and say they are learning finessing their skills on site.

Ashley is working 28 days on, seven days off, as a fly-in fly-out worker and returns home to the Gold Coast to spend time with his son during his weeks off.

He said the apprenticeship had changed his life - he wants to have a good trade behind him to save for a house.

"I'm still learning every day," he said.

"You learn good habits and bad habits - but so long as you show a willingness to learn.

"The experience I get here will set me up for life."

Former rugby league player Tony Martin returned home to Gladstone last year and picked up his apprenticeship with Bechtel.

He works 10-hour days on the island and gets to go home to his family every night.

He said the longer hours help to speed up the process.

"We do the theory in blocks and then we get to do the practical stuff here and use the knowledge straight away," he said.

"The opportunity they've given us is to be as good a tradesman as we can be."

https://www.gladstoneobserver.com.au/news/apprentices-get-set-up-with-a-trade-for-life/2020340/

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
110 Epalahame Lauaki - ESL Wigan Warriors
Since the last update Hame left Wigan and signed on with Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles. Spent all that time playing NSW Cup and never made it to the top side.

epalahame-lauaki-bradford-bulls_3244489.jpg

He is now signed with Bradford Bulls for 2 years...

BULLS UNWRAP CHRISTMAS CRACKER LAUAKI

25th December 2014
BRADFORD BULLS are delighted to announce the signing of powerhouse front-rower Epalahame Lauaki, who has provided supporters with an extra special Christmas gift after putting pen to paper on a two-year deal with the club.

Lauaki, 30, arrives from NRL side Manly Sea Eagles, where he spent the majority of last season after departing Wigan Warriors.

Prior to joining Wigan, the New Zealand and Tonga international enjoyed stints with New Zealand Warriors and Hull FC.

Standing at 6ft and weighing in at almost 18 stone, the explosive forward burst onto the Super League scene back in 2009 and represented the Exiles on two occasions.

The cousin of former Provident Stadium star Tevita Vaikona, Lauaki is relishing the prospect of returning to the UK as a Bull.

“I am so excited to be joining such a big and well-known club like Bradford,” said Ha'apai-born Lauaki.

“I believe I will bring some experience and toughness to our team and I cannot wait to get started.

“The Championship is a challenge I am looking forward to. We will be going up against some good teams, who will be certainly looking forward to playing us.

“There is a really solid squad in place at Bradford but I want to be in the 17, which means I have plenty of hard work ahead of me."

Bulls head coach James Lowes has spoken of his delight following Lauaki's capture, insisting the Kiwi has the ability to “wreak havoc” in 2015

“Epalahame is an extremely talented individual and we are really pleased to have secured his services,” added the Bradford boss.

“He has an explosive approach and comes with an ability to wreak havoc in short spells.

“Epalahame gives us something I believe we don't currently have. He certainly adds to an already impressive squad and will prove vital for some of our young and upcoming forwards.

“We have a young roster, so the experience he brings will certainly help aid the future progress of the likes of Dan Fleming, Samir Tahraoui and Karl Davies.”

Lauaki is now available for sponsorship for the coming season, his addition completing coach Lowes' 30-man squad for the 2015 Kingstone Press Championship.

https://www.bradfordbulls.co.uk/news/article/9788/bradford-bulls-christmas-cracker-epalahame-lauaki

Reaction score
P-Unit

P-Unit

Warriors Bench Player
Contributor
Reaction score
Catch up with Tony Martin quite a bit, he is in better shape now then what he was when he was playing. He pretty ripped, I live in Gladstone as well and do fair bit of work on the island too. He still running around the paddock but only playing touch footy. Also Kevin Campion see around here as well.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Catch up with Tony Martin quite a bit, he is in better shape now then what he was when he was playing. He pretty ripped, I live in Gladstone as well and do fair bit of work on the island too. He still running around the paddock but only playing touch footy. Also Kevin Campion see around here as well.
Cheers mate.

From the other articles I read on Tony he still helps out with his junior club the Wallabies. Thats the local Gladstone club right? Judging by the language used he's a star in those parts. That or his wife wrote the article.

Kevin runs a labour hire type company for Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders. Helps them get into jobs. No doubt he'll be on a few sites out there checking in on his charges.

Would you say P-Unit that the information on those two players at least is correct in this thread? Always keen on getting it as accurate as possible...

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Cant find a single thing on this former Parramatta boy. Hard to get hits on him when he only played 6 professional games before retiring...

UPDATE

Not confirmed if its the same Danny Sullivan, but there is a Danny Sullivan who is head groundsmen at Hunter Stadium. Also, for Vince Mellars, I heard on the grapevine he was involved in fitness... boot camps that sort of thing
Iafetas Kickstand Wang you are more than likely correct about Danny Sullivan as he lives in Newcastle. He is also in a band over there.

https://myspace.com/dannysull
Fantastic stuff guys. Thats got to be him. Then and now pics. Same ranga aye?

Looked up Hunter Stadium and his name appears twice. Once when he took over the former groundsman from December 2009.

Head groundsman Greig Chadban resigned this month.

Danny Sullivan has taken over and works in conjunction with stadium manager Neville Allan.

https://www.theherald.com.au/story/449738/no-improvement-in-sight-for-a-leagues-worst-surface/

Gotta feel for Danny if he is still at Hunter Stadium. Its regularly voted the worst Stadium for A League.

Last edited:
Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Reaction score
P-Unit

P-Unit

Warriors Bench Player
Contributor
Reaction score
Cheers mate.

From the other articles I read on Tony he still helps out with his junior club the Wallabies. Thats the local Gladstone club right? Judging by the language used he's a star in those parts. That or his wife wrote the article.

Kevin runs a labour hire type company for Aboriginals and Torres Strait Islanders. Helps them get into jobs. No doubt he'll be on a few sites out there checking in on his charges.

Would you say P-Unit that the information on those two players at least is correct in this thread? Always keen on getting it as accurate as possible...

You pretty on the money there bud. He pretty much a star around here, his young fellow pretty talented kid too. Athletics, sports anything really. Same as Kev, great work with the community helping those to get employment. Top bloke

Reaction score
Weno

Weno

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Hitro Okesene is still working and living in Carlisle, Cumbria, England. His being from there. He works for Thomas Armstrong Construction; Cumbria's biggest construction firm. He made a visit to NZ and toured the Warriors facilities at Mt Smart. Below is an interview he did with Warriors TV while he was here.

As he was here with the Warriors, Hitro is a cult figure at Carlisle. Following article pretty much does all the work for me...

Cult hero Hitro Okesene's Cumbrian sunset
31/08/2014
View attachment 10937

Hitro Okesene played only three seasons for the Warriors in the mid-90s yet remains one of the club's most beloved players. But what happened to him? BEN STANLEY went to Cumbria, England to find out.

Mid-afternoon and the Maryport Navy Club is packed.

Thirsty punters stand elbow-to-elbow, necking cheap cans of Carlsberg at an impressive pace and talking loud in gritty, blue-collar Cumbrian accents.

A guitarist on a small stage at the end of the bar sweeps his hand across his instrument, and his band - TJ and the Suitcase - launch into their next number: a cover of the age-old blues standard Who Do You Love. I walked through 47 miles of barbed wire / I got a cobra snake for a necktie.

There's a good feeling in the air; that sort of loose, warm feeling that only good music, good company and a few downed beers will provide.

About five metres back into the crowd, there's a big Kiwi-Samoan bloke with a mullet, nodding his head to the music.

He takes a long sip from his can, and smiles; this is his sort of scene.

It's the last day of the famed Maryport Blues Festival - the United Kingdom's biggest blues celebration.

The festival, which runs for an entire weekend in the town's bars in late July, has a reputation for getting pretty feral in ‘Scaryport' - at the moment, it's a pretty mellow vibe.

A guy wearing a bright red Workington Town rugby league jersey approaches the Kiwi-Samoan. He has quite obviously started on the wets very early in the day but his admiration for the man with the mullet is clear.

The leaguie holds up his festival programme for him to sign, and asks for a photo.

Hitro Okesene - rugby league cult hero - smiles again, and wraps one of his big arms around the fan's shoulders as his friend holds up a camera.

"You's a real legend you are, Hitro," he yells, as TJ and the Suitcase rip into the chorus. Who do you love? Who do you love?

"You's the man," the fan says, patting Okesene on the chest. "Best player I saw for Town. Hard man. Great player."

ASK ANY New Zealand league fan about Hitro Okesene, and a particular image will almost certainly come to mind.

The man with his head down, long scraggly mullet flying, and tree trunk-sized legs pumping fearlessly into the next tackle.

For the first three years of the Warriors' existence, from 1995-97, the south Auckland front rower was the people's face of the club.

Sure, you had the big-name Australian signings Greg Alexander and Phil Blake, as well as Wigan and Kiwis legend Dean Bell - but it was Okesene, a starting prop in the Warriors famous first game against the Broncos in March 1995 that the fans really fell for.

"He really was a cult hero at the club, the way his hair flew about and with his style of play," legendary Warriors halfback Stacey Jones says. "He was full on but off the field he was a real nice guy."

More than any other player, Okesene, a five-test Kiwi who played in the ‘95 World Cup, was the guy that perhaps best personified the Warriors' early years.

Full of the talent and heart required to compete in the first-grade but without the fully formed professional mentality to hold things together completely at the top level.

After the tumultuous 1997 Super League season- which Okesene played just one game in - he left New Zealand.

He, and his young family, were bound for Cumbria, England, where he would became a cult hero for Workington Town, the "people's club" in a staunch working-class region.

Cumbria is a place where the people love him just as the Warriors faithful do.

"To be honest, I think it was because I was a local in with all the big names," Okesene, now 43, says, laughing, when asked by the Sunday Star-Times about his cult following at Mt Smart nearly two decades ago.

It is the day before he heads to the blues festival, and Okesene is at his brother-in-law's birthday barbecue in Carlisle.

He is surrounded by family - wife Donna and kids Shakayla, Giavanna and Rocco - as well as his extended and Donna's extended family.

Okesene's famed mullet still covers his head but a few kilos have been added to the puku since those glory days.

"I only lived down the road from Penrose then. I was staying in my parents garage in Mangere when that first game [against the Broncos] was played.

"To tell you the truth, I was looking at these guys that I'd watched on TV, and it was just cool to get to know them."

Okesene's link with Cumbria stretches back to before the Warriors even existed, thanks to Cameron Bell - father of Dean and legendary Auckland league coach in his own right.

Okesene, then 18, wanted the opportunity to play English league for a season and asked Bell, his coach at Manukau, if he could make something happen.

Bell had strong links to Carlisle - he would coach the team for four seasons from 1990 - and secured the teenager a spot in the town's league team quickly.

While juggling commitments to Manukau in the Kiwi winter, Okesene would play three UK seasons for the club, during which time he'd met Donna.

The Warriors opportunity - he would play 23 times for the club - would come after being scouted playing for Manukau in ‘94 - but differences in opinion with the coaching staff meant a return to England would happen, eventually.

He'd do spells at Hull, Featherstone, in a Catalans XIII in France alongside his brother Paul - who died in Spain in 2012 - before playing for Workington for four seasons.

At "Town", as the locals know it, Okesene played the hard-charging, up-the-guts style of footy he did at Mt Smart - and the fans responded in an identical way.

OKESENE AND his family live in the village of Oughterside, located a half-hour's drive south of Carlisle on the road down to Maryport.

His house - his No. 10 jersey from that very first Warriors game is in the attic - is far from a mansion but most certainly a home.

A small Heartbeat-style village of no more than 600 people, Oughterside overlooks the foothills of the famed Lake District.

There's a pub - "my local," Okesene says - called the Miner's Arms but any shopping is done in Aspatria, a few clicks up the road towards Carlisle.

During the week, Okesene works for Thomas Armstrong Construction; Cumbria's biggest construction firm.

The work differs. Often he'll be driving the dump truck but he'll do time on the road roller, and various other general worksite jobs as well.

Okesene enjoys his work, and the cameradierie of the worksite. Few know his past, he admits, and what he achieved on the footy field though.

"The young guys don't want to hear that old school stuff - they don't believe us," he says.

"I say ‘I used to play with those guys' - and the young guys are like ‘whatever'.

"There's a lot of young lads that play league, and they don't know. There are old guys there - around Maryport is a hot spot for rugby league clubs and talent - they know what happened.

"That eased me into the company. I'm normally the quiet one, though. I'll just do my job and keep my head down."

It is fair to ask whether Okesene reached the absolute ceiling he could as a player.

Yep, he was a foundation Warrior, played in a World Cup for the Kiwis and had a decent semi-amateur career in the UK - but one feels that his legacy on the paddock could have been much greater.

Jones believes Okesene could have achieved more at the Warriors, but feels his friend was never used in the position he was best suited to.

Had Okesene donned the No. 9 Warriors jumper from the word go, instead of the No. 10, things might have been different.

"He could have stayed at the Warriors longer than he did," Jones says.

"He ended up going hard on the weights - we all did that year [1995] - and was turned into a prop. I think his best value was as a hooker or even a second rower when he was trimmed down a bit.

"He was outstanding in 1994 - the best hooker on the domestic scene. The way he was playing then he could have put a lot of pressure on for hooker's job with the Warriors."

His old skipper Bell believes Okesene's career hit the mark, just right.

"With Hitro, it was 100 per cent or nothing," he says. "That's the way he was with everything he did.

"You were never in doubt that he'd play to his very best and that enabled him to reach the heights of playing for the Warriors and also representing the Kiwis.

"He certainly got the best out of himself."

OKESENE IS nodding his head to the beat, again. He is in the kitchen of his Oughterside home and, this time, the Grayson Hugh classic Talk It Over is on the dial.

It is past 11pm, and he just arrived home from the Maryport Blues Festival, a bus ride down the road. It's been a great night, and Okesene's still in good mood.

During the course of the day, at least a dozen fans approached the Kiwi and talked league with him. Countless more friends, co-workers and former teammates were bumped into as well. Okesene has time for them all.

He may not have made the big money or still be hanging with the big names, but what the Kiwi means to the people that watched him play for Carlisle and Workington Town is obvious - and worth something that money can't buy.

Like those days at the Warriors - he is one of them. He played league the way it should be played - and now he's living his life like they are.

Here in Cumbria, Okesene - rugby league cult hero from Mangere to Maryport, hard-working father and husband, and proud Kiwi Samoan with a ready grin - is loved; not just by his family, but by his community.

It doesn't get much better, really; a man with big mullet, still; but an even bigger heart.

"I'm blessed," Okesene says. "Nah, that's corny. I'm thankful, really. Life's all good."

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/10442759/Cult-hero-Hitro-Okesenes-Cumbrian-sunset
Hitro still looks good.

Reaction score
Iafetas Kickstand Wang

Iafetas Kickstand Wang

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Not confirmed if its the same Danny Sullivan, but there is a Danny Sullivan who is head groundsmen at Hunter Stadium. Also, for Vince Mellars, I heard on the grapevine he was involved in fitness... boot camps that sort of thing

Reaction score
tajhay

tajhay

🦄
Reaction score
Top Bottom