General 2015 Warriors Where Are They Now?

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
17 Martin Moana - ??? Think he's still living in Halifax, UK
Believe he is living in Halifax. He was living there with his family just last year. His son Jordan was actually signed as a Leeds junior but Im not sure as to the status of that now. The article I got that info from was from 2011. He seems to have been still with them this year after a post on his Instagram account.

The article I referred to had this little snippet on Martin but again its from 2011 so who knows whether its current?

He remained with the Lions until his retirement at the end of the 2009 season and now works for the club on the development front and also in a commercial capacity.

Always being active, he still gets his adrenalin pumping with a game or two of rugby union these days for Heath in the Yorkshire League competition.

Plus, he now coaches the New Zealand Masters rugby team that plays mainly in the spring and summer months for enjoyment and supporting charities.

https://www.brighouseecho.co.uk/sport/local-sport/jordan-follows-in-dad-s-footsteps-1-4001718

This is the most recent photo I could find of Martin from September this year. Martin on the left and his son Jordan on the right...

10629779_829852440393230_4654172399914371018_n.jpg
UPDATE...

Got a reply from Moana's son who confirmed that Martin is still living in Halifax. When asked what work he was doing he said 'nothing much'???

Last edited:
Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
18 Joe Vagana - Mentor at Reaches Pacifica Mentoring. Link
Still a mentor at Reaches Pacifica Mentoring which targets Maori and Pacific youth. According to the 2014 Annual Return for the company he is still the sole Director and owner.

Joe Vagana.png

Corey Rosser did a great catch up interview with him just this year that pretty much covers his current whereabouts and reflects on his career. Great read.

Interview: Joe Vagana
Posted on Mar 4 2014 - 7:00am by Corey Rosser

Former Kiwis Test prop Joe Vagana. Photo: www.photosport.co.nz

Big Joe Vagana ended a 15 year career when he retired in 2008, bowing out a Kiwi and Bradford Bulls favourite. Now back in Auckland, he is enjoying the warmer weather and having a lawn to mow. Corey Rosser caught up with him to reflect on a wonderful rugby league career.

CR: First of all Joe, what are you doing these days?

JV: I have got a couple of things going on, I have a youth mentoring trust, targeting Maori and Pacific Island youth, and I also have a machine leasing company, leasing out diggers, trucks and so on. That keeps me busy along with four kids.

CR: Last year you coached the Western Springs College league team, you must still enjoy your footy?

JV: Yeah, I try and keep involved in grass roots level and give back, maybe help out our next Sonny Bill Williams or Benji Marshall – but more importantly giving them the messages of education rather than just focusing on the footy side.

CR: Do you wish you had a coach with that advice when you were younger?

JV: I have been pretty blessed, but obviously I look back and I could have done things a lot better, looked after my money a bit better, but I was young and came across all this money when I was 18. I wish I could go back and study while I played as well.

CR: What was it like being a part of the Warriors in that first year?

JV: The 15 years prior to that was about parents driving me around and selling raffle tickets to support me, so to be part of the 1995 Warriors setup was an awesome experience – to play in front of my friends and family, for my home team.

Joe trucks it forward against Newcastle at Mt Smart Stadium in 2000. Photo: www.photosport.co.nz

CR: Were you able to cash in during the Super League war?

JV: I had enough to put some nice pieces of steak on our dinner table! I can honestly say I didn’t get the amounts that some other guys got, but I wasn’t on the lower end of the spectrum.

CR: How did you come to sign with the Bradford Bulls in 2001?

JV: I had signed a four year deal at the Warriors but a short time after that the takeover with the new owners happened. I was expecting to be there for another three years, I was looking at being a one team man, but that wasn’t meant to be. I was close to going to the Bulldogs, but I thought at that stage it was going to be tough to play against my mates so I chose to go overseas for a new challenge.

CR: Auckland to Bradford – that must have been a big dose of culture shock?

JV: I landed on January 4, my wife was about five months pregnant and it was snowing, I had never driven in snow. I am an Island boy and lava lavas don’t go too well over there when it’s snowing. I got a few weird looks walking around in that and my jandals. But I got used to it.

CR: At times Bradford was like a second team from New Zealand, such was the number of Kiwis playing there, did that help you fit in?

JV: For sure, when I moved there in 2001 Robbie and Henry Paul, who I played with as juniors and in Test matches, were there. Also Tevita Vaikona who I played in the Junior Kiwis with back in the day. The big thing for me was that the club was big on looking after the families – which is probably why I stayed there for the length of time I did, because at that stage there were bigger offers from other clubs.

CR: Bradford in the 2000’s were at times untouchable, which trophy meant the most?

JV: Obviously the first one for me (vs Leeds) – to have 80,000 people at Millennium Stadium was an awesome experience. It was also against my best mate, Willie Poaching, and we had flown our fathers over to watch. The victories over Leeds always meant a bit more.

CR: You come from a very sporting family, with both Nigel and Linda Vagana as cousins, were you three competitive growing up?

JV: No we weren’t actually! We are a pretty close family, our fathers are all brothers. We spent a lot of time with each other, Nigel and I pretty much played together all the way from under eights, all the way through to test matches. We always supported Linda with the Silver Ferns, on a regular basis we would go and watch her and hold up our signs.

CR: What is your best memory from your time in a Kiwi jersey?

JV: The most memorable times were when we beat the Aussies. There was a Tri Nations final against Australia (in 1999) and we were down with five to go I think, I put a ball out to ‘Nige’ who ran away down the side to score. We were jumping around with joy only for Wendell Sailor to score a try with under two minutes left – it was a pretty cool moment until then!

CR: Last year you were named in the Richmond Rovers team of the century, what did that mean to you?

JV: I said to them on the day that I have been all over the world but Richmond is always going to be home – you never forget where you come from. I still head down there to support them. There are some great families and names to come out of that club and I was pretty wrapped to get named in the TOTC there.

CR: And finally, after 13 years playing top grade rugby league how is the body holding up?

JV: Long distance running is out of the question for me these days. Actually it was even when I was playing! My knees have taken a battering and I still have two plates in my arms. My fingers are facing all kinds of directions, but compared to some guys I am not too bad, I just have to make sure I don’t put on too much weight. I need to go see Ruben and get some more of his Wiki love!

https://www.runitonthelast.co.nz/2014/03/04/interview-big-joe-vagana/#comment-616

This is the latest pic I could find of big Joe. Taken February 2014...

Reaction score
gREVUS

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Reaction score
Great work Mt Well. Your a super stalker. Its always great to see what the old boys are up to

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
19 Syd Eru - ???
Still no leads on Syd Eru but after asking on Facebook someone stated that Syd Eru had been their coach 5 years ago at Upper Hutt College. Last thing I could find was a move to Brisbane but that was in 2010. Nothing recent sadly.

Again, if anyone knows anything please let us know.

This is the most recent pic I could find from 2011. Above pic is from the time he was playing for the Warriors...

images (1).jpg
230041_198471773522292_7857494_n.jpg

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
20 Willie Poching - ESL Warrington head coach. Link
Last time we looked at Willie Poching he was with Warrington. He has now moved to be Hull KR Assistant Coach.

Hull KR appoint Willie Poching as assistant coach
5 September 2014

Hull KR have appointed Willie Poching as Chris Chester's assistant on a one-year contract.

Poching, 41, will leave his role with Warrington Wolves at the end of the season to join up with the Robins.

The former Leeds Rhinos player has served as Tony Smith's assistant at the Wolves for the last four seasons.

"It's a different challenge but one I'm very excited about to help a new coach and come to a club that's really ambitious," he told the club website.

"I've known Chris for a while and I was excited when we had a chat. It was an easy conversation to have and I like his ideas and his philosophies with what he's trying to do here.

"Hopefully I can have a positive influence and pass on some of my experience to him, as well as learning from Chris himself and the players."

https://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-league/29070148

This is the profile on him on the Hull KR official website.

Willie Poching.PNG
https://www.hullkr.co.uk/on-the-pitch/backroom-staff/willie-poching

Heres a recent pic of him from just this month.

9191409-large.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
21 Logan Edwards - 2007 was coaching in Chch NZ under Mike Dorreen. Prison Guard at Paparua Prison
Nothing new on Logan. If he is still a prison guard at Paparua then he's still living in the Christchurch area. Any confirmation would be good.
Had it confirmed by a friend of his on Facebook that he is in fact a prison guard in Christchurch. Also heavily involved with Hornby Panthers Rugby League club as a trainer. Actually won the Canterbury Rugby League Trainer of the Year in 2013.

Logan1.PNG

This is the latest pic I could find taken this season in the Mad Butchers lounge...

Logan Edwards.jpg
photo2-1024x764.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
22 John Kirwan - Union Super 15 Auckland Blues coach
Nothings changed here. John Kirwan is still the Auckland Blues coach. Hasnt been doing as well as wanted and the following link talks of the pressure he is under.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/super-rugby/10260473/Blues-coach-Sir-John-Kirwan-feels-the-pressure

This is his profile on the Auckland Blues website.

Kirwan1.PNG

https://www.theblues.co.nz/The-Team/Coaches.aspx

He was also Head Coach of the Barbarians against the Wallabies in a game they lost.

Sir John Kirwan to coach Barbarians for Wallabies clash

BARBARIANFC.CO.UK 26 SEP 2014

Sir John Kirwan will coach the side facing Australia in the Killik Cup match at Twickenham on November 1.
The 1987 World Cup winner will also take charge for the game against Leicester Tigers at Welford Road on November 4.

Auckland Blues head coach Kirwan wants to provide a Test-class examination for the Wallabies before they take on World Cup pool rivals England and Wales as well as facing France and Ireland.

And the former New Zealand wing is keen to maintain the status of the Barbarians as a unique side who bring together players from around the globe to “compete and play great footie”.

"In my view it’s the first Test of their tour. That’s what they’ll be expecting and that’s what we want to deliver,” said Kirwan, who will have Australia wing Nick Cummins in his side facing the Wallabies.

“It’s a privilege and a huge honour to be involved with the Barbarians again.

"I grew up watching the Barbarians score the greatest try ever and for them to survive and continue to thrive in the modern market place is so important. What they do is a very precious thing.

“Every year the Barbarians are put under pressure but it’s still a huge honour to play and they still compete with the very best.

“If you’ve played for club and country but haven’t played for the Barbarians you’re still missing something, and when people find out you’re the Barbarians coach they’re on the phone asking to play.”

The Barbarians will name the rest of their squad in the coming weeks before assembling in London on October 28.

Former Wales lock Phil Davies will coach the Barbarians later next month when they face the Combined Services at Bath on November 11.

https://allblacks.com/News/26035/sir-john-kirwan-to-coach-barbarians-for-wallabies-clash

He's probably most famous these days as the face of the National Depression Initiative.

Kirwan.PNG
https://www.depression.org.nz/about/

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
23 Andy Platt - Owns a Motel in Mackay, Queensland, Australia. Link
He is still running his Motel in Mackay. Has been there awhile with his son Jon having played Queensland Cup with Daly Cherry Evans a few years ago. Check out the link below for a gallery of pics of his motel.

Platt1.PNG
https://www.booking.com/searchresults.en-gb.html?aid=311984;label=coral-sands-motel-mackay-YiDiS4ugCljsJpsjARCdZQS31364737633:pl:ta:p1:p2:ac:ap1t1:neg;sid=9a0b4c79a8fb08da2051b255ab6cd291;dcid=4;dest_id=-1585049;dest_type=city;highlighted_hotels=589523&gclid=CjwKEAiAqrqkBRCep-rKnt_r_lkSJAArVUBcgQmKZcXZq2a5pj6p0o670nsV7WiqYlLi2OnYffwJwRoCXS3w_wcB&

Theres no mention of him as the owner but on this page it has him named. Motel pic looks different???

Platt.PNG
https://www.aaatourism.com.au/accommodation/info/coral-sands-motel/

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
24 Stacey Jones - NYC Warriors U20 coach
Another former Warrior that we are well aware of in terms of his current status. He took his U20 team all the way to the Holden Cup Grand Final where they beat Brisbane Broncos in a thriller.
Jones1.PNG
Jones2.PNG
Jones.PNG
He has since been promoted to the Reserve Grade coaching role for the 2015 season.

Stacey Jones' career taking off, NRL role looms
CHRIS BARCLAY

BIG CAREER MOVE: Club legend Stacey Jones is moving on up in the coaching ranks at the Warriors.

The coaching career of Stacey Jones is taking the same trajectory of some of his victorious under-20s players, with confirmation the legendary New Zealand Warrior has also moved a step closer to a role in the NRL.

In the aftermath of the Junior Warriors winning the Holden Cup to kick off Sunday's grand final day in Sydney, the club announced Jones will replace Rohan Smith as coach of the NSW Cup side in 2015.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/10585247/Stacey-Jones-career-taking-off-NRL-role-looms

He also still owns the Avondale branch of Subway...

Jones3.PNG
https://www.google.co.nz/maps/@-36.8943559,174.6964835,3a,90y,269.9h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1su6xfBztuoedgRYdcOPYDdQ!2e0

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
25 Mike Dorreen - Coached the 2013 Canterbury Bulls. Link
Stepped down as the Bulls coach for this season after a disappointing 2013 season and work. This is an excerpt from an article on his replacement.

New Canterbury Bulls rugby league coach Darrell Coad is confident there is enough talent in Christchurch to get the team back on top of the national pedestal.

Coad, a longtime former Canterbury trainer and current Halswell Hornets premier coach, has been appointed head coach for the 2014 zonal competition after taking the Canterbury development team last season.

The former New Zealand 18s team and New Zealand Residents trainer replaces former Halswell clubmate Mike Dorreen, who has stepped down after two seasons in charge. Canterbury Rugby League general manager Craig Kerr said Dorreen did not reapply due to business commitments.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/sport/9845602/Coad-steps-up-to-Bulls-coach

Mike is actually killing it at the moment as a painter in Christchurch. He's registered as a certified tradesman on the Association of Wall and Ceiling Industries website...

AWCI-Logo-web-copy.png
https://awci.org.nz/about/certified-tradesman-members/

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
26 Richie Blackmore - ??? Was Business Manager at Leigh Centurions, Manchester, UK but think he's looking for a coaching job in NZ now.
Ritchie Blackmore this year was coach of the Papakura Sea Eagles in the Auckland Fox Memorial competition. Got his hands in a few league spots including being a selector for the Kiwi Ferns...

14051717.jpg
14051718.jpg

Reaction score
Jah

Jah

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
heard a few years back that Syd Eru was coaching womens in Gold Coast and I got a mate who plays for Takahiwi Warriors will ask him

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
heard a few years back that Syd Eru was coaching womens in Gold Coast and I got a mate who plays for Takahiwi Warriors will ask him
Appreciate it mate. Surely someone from Taka will know what their most famous son is up to...

Reactions: Jah
Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
27 Frano Botica - Real Estate Agent at Harcourts Cooper & Co Mairangi Bay, Aucklan, NZ. Link
Frano actually filed for bankruptcy in 2010 when he was caught out in the property downturn. Despite that this little comment from him on an article written about the bankruptcy made me laugh. Full story at the link.

"I've lost money to banks and that - but f*** that - life goes on," he said. "I'll be back, I promise."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=10623300

Also states in that article that he is a partner and co-founder of a company called Training Plus. Same company we saw Duane Mann feature in earlier in this thread. Heres Frano's profile and a description on what the company does.

Frano2.PNG
Frano3.PNG
https://www.trainingplus.co.nz/index.html

Still listed as a Real Estate Agent on the Harcourts website and his LinkIn profile. Heres his profile on the Harcourts page.

Frano.PNG
https://harcourts.co.nz/People/26732/Frano-Botica
https://www.linkedin.com/pub/frano-botica/8/24a/b34

He is also available for celebrity speaker at functions...

Frano1.PNG
https://www.celebrityspeakers.co.nz/frano-botica/

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
28 Denis Betts - ESL Widnes Vikings head coach Link
Denis is still the Vikings coach and has fairly well last season helping them reach the playoffs in the first time in the clubs history during the Super League era.

8 September 2014Last updated at 11:34 GMT

Widnes Vikings play-off berth delights coach Denis Betts
Widnes Vikings head coach Denis Betts described reaching the play-offs for the first time in the Super League era as a "fantastic" achievement.

The Vikings have made year-on-year progress since their top-flight return, ending last season 10th following a bottom-of-the-table finish in 2012.

Sunday's win at Bradford ensured a top-eight place in 2014.

"It's a fantastic feeling knowing we've achieved what we've set out to do," Betts told BBC Radio Merseyside.

"We knew we wanted to finish better than we did last year, we knew that everyone expected us to finish in the bottom two or three teams fighting it out."

Just five winter arrivals bolstered Betts' squad for the campaign, while three departed as Widnes retained faith with much of the squad from the previous term.

Players such as Kevin Brown, linked with interest from the southern hemisphere NRL, Joe Mellor and Rhys Hanbury have been cornerstones of their league success, in a season that also brought a Challenge Cup semi-final appearance.

"To grow as a team, and not to have made massive changes and finish the season as strong as we have is testament to the players," Betts added.

Betts' side complete the regular season against Salford on Friday and could finish as high as seventh if they better Catalans' result at home to Castleford.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/0/rugby-league/29109102

They would get knocked out in the first week after losing to the Warrington Wolves 22-19...

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
29 Marc Ellis - Entrepreneur. Has several business interests. Just quit his MoreFM gig in to spend more time with his young family.
Last year (2013) in October Marc Ellis stepped down from his MoreFM morning show gig.

"After two years with More the time has come for me to enjoy more time with my little family," he said.

"Sofia and Tomas are starting to remember things now, so I want them enjoying Daddy at home in the morning and full of energy. Waking up at 5.15am and working a full day after the show is pretty intense".

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/entertainment/news/article.cfm?c_id=1501119&objectid=11133239

Only recent thing I can find on him is that he is building a house in the Matiatia Estate on Waiheke Island and some of his neighbours arent impressed.

Really what more do you need to do when you earn an reported $NZ18 million from the sale of juice company Charlies, a company he helped set up.
charlies5.jpg

Only other thing I could find was that he is available for speaking engagements...

Marc1.PNG Marc.PNG
https://www.captiveaudience.co.nz/speakers/marc-ellis

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Good to see him doing something constructive after destroying his own footy career.

Now that Ive finished the player profiles I'll be getting back to this little project...

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Got a reply from Moana's son who confirmed that Martin is still living in Halifax. When asked what work he was doing he said 'nothing much'???

Update on Martin Moana's status. Not much but confirmed he's still in Halifax...

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
30 Mark Horo - Coach of the Hills Sports High School in Seven Hills, NSW. Link
Marks actually left Hills Sports High School in 2012 after 9 years of being there. Decided enough was enough.

Capture232.PNG

Trying to find out what he's up to now. Will have to update this post when I get a reply.

I do know he coached the ESS Norths NSW Maori RL team that won the NZ Maori tournament just a couple months ago.

10360409_1664363397123541_321788536599046786_n.jpg
1743722_869332166424064_1948553032219355003_n.jpg
Family pic including son Justin Horo...

1536568_10152243756820832_1162667711_n.jpg
Update on Mark Horo.

Found this article that says that he and his wife run a rugby league development programme for Maori kids and Mark is the NSW account manager at A1 Industries...

Having "fell in love" with coaching after former Kiwis team-mate Sam Stewart asked him to manage a team of ex-pat Kiwis Stewart was coaching, Horo moved back to Australia in 2001 to start coaching at under-17s development level in Parramatta.

Two years on he was asked by an Eels club official about a house parenting gig, where he and wife Millie would take several future stars under their wing.

"At the time I remember him getting a handshake for two years, so that we weren't inconvenienced. So we moved out of our house into a place in Parramatta, and that two turned into 12," Horo said.

That continued to his days at Penrith, where Horo is now, moving there in 2011, after being lured by Panthers general manager Phil Gould - one of the sport's biggest names.

"He posed the question with me to come over and help prepare the welfare programme which is the house parenting, and become one of the coaching staff," said Horo, who was involved with the under-18s and the under-20s side which last year beat the Warriors in the grand final.

"You just know that he's smart," Horo said of Gould. "He's got a football brain. And it's pretty evident now what they're doing three years later. If anyone was going to get it right he would."

Horo also spent nine years as head coach of the rugby league programme at Hill Sports High School.

After last year coaching five different teams, he is putting the coaching to one side, as he and Millie put their energy into a rugby league development programme for Maori kids.

It was initiated by the New South Wales Rugby League five years ago to develop players who haven't played rep football, with a Harmony Cup competition established between several countries in the Pacific.

Horo and Millie take care of the NSW Maori under-16s and raise money to give them jerseys and training gear, while Horo also brings in and helps develop a coach.

While also working as NSW account manager at A1 Industries - the same company brother Shane (also a former Kiwi) is at - Horo is about to start some volunteer work with the New Zealand Rugby League around talent identification to see what players are available for the Kiwis.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9838040/League-still-a-massive-part-of-Mark-Horos-life

Last edited:
Top Bottom