General 2015 Warriors Where Are They Now?

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
191. Agnatius Paasi

UPDATE 26/06/15

Signed as a member of the Gold Coast Titans and has played number of 1st grade games this season already...

Captureiggy.PNG
NICKNAME
Nacho , Iggy , Naysh

BIRTHPLACE
Tonga

WHERE DID YOU GROW UP
NZ

HOBBIES AWAY FROM FOOTY
Chilling with family

FIRST CAR
Audi 1989

DREAM CAR
ute

FAVOURITE HOLIDAY DESTINATION
Cook islands

MOST USED PHONE APP
Viber/Facebook

GOLF HANDICAP

HAIR PRODUCTS OR NATURAL
natural

MOST WATCHED TV SHOW
Discovery Channel

https://www.titans.com.au/team/profiles/agnatius_paasi.html

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------​

Was granted a release by the Warriors so he could trial for the Gold Coast Titans during the pre-season. Currently living with another former Warrior in Siuatonga Likiliki while he trains.

Paasi's puzzling path to the NRL
By Tony Webeck, Chief Queensland Correspondent
39765_20_2.jpg

He's won national schoolboy and under-20s titles, represented the Junior Kiwis and was last year named the Warriors' NSW Cup Player of the Year but a full-time NRL contract remains elusive for Tongan international Agnatius Paasi.

A member of the Keebra Park State High School team that won the Arrive Alive Cup in 2009 – and included the likes of Jordan Kahu and Ben Murdoch-Masila – Paasi is back on the Gold Coast hoping to impress Titans coach Neil Henry enough through the pre-season trials to earn a permanent position after walking away from the Warriors at the end of the 2014 season.

Now 23 years of age, Paasi won the 2011 under-20s title with the Warriors before making his NRL debut last season but when it became clear a full-time contract would remain elusive in New Zealand, Paasi looked abroad.

Ironic then that the first chance he will have to display his abilities in a game situation will come in a trial for the Titans against the Warriors in Toowoomba on February 7 where former teammates will be the latest obstacles in his path to the big time.

With no financial security yet offered playing rugby league and as the father of a young son with partner Chloe, Paasi has struggled to meet the demands of first study then work with the training load of an NRL hopeful and said that the lure of a full-time contract has been mentally draining.

"It was hard. Lots of my family were asking why I didn't get that full-time contract with the Warriors," Paasi told NRL.com. "I had a meeting with the Warriors coach and he told me that I put on seven 'kegs' in the last three games of the year because I thought I wasn't going to play NRL again.

"Because I wasn't going to make another full-time game with them I just worked and ate up and pretty much went downhill from there.

"I wasn't that committed back at 20s. I was studying and couldn't really balance study and playing so I chose study and when the season came around I picked footy, so I didn't really finish study. Couldn't really make up my mind so that's where commitment came in.

"It's like a puzzle, trying to put all the pieces in but I can't really do it because there are obstacles still in the way."

It's not the first time that Paasi has decided to give his footy career one last shot. Twelve months ago he was ready to return to his architecture degree with a view to one day owning his own construction business but heeded the advice of his partner Chloe to persist with his sporting pursuits.

With the fire fuelled, Paasi starred for the Warriors in NSW Cup and was rewarded with a first grade call-up against the Broncos in Round 19 that he and his family imagined would lead to bigger and better things.

"Everyone was happy. Everyone was just excited I guess," he recalled.

"(Warriors coach) Andrew McFadden called me when I got home from training and told me that I was going to play and then I started laughing. I asked him if it was a joke, it was unbelievable.

"I told my missus and her family and then I told my parents and they were very happy, started crying a bit. They were just joyful.

"It was almost to the end of the season that I stopped believing. I felt like [the Warriors' NRL team] had a slim chance to make the top eight, that's when I lost focus, and just focused more to the feeder club, to NSW Cup, because we were in the top eight."

Shopped around to a number of NRL clubs and with only the offer of another trial contract with the Warriors, Paasi got lucky when Rohan Smith was appointed to the Titans coaching staff as an assistant to Neil Henry.

Smith coached Paasi in the Warriors' NSW Cup team last season and says persistence will be key for the skilful forward to finally make his mark.

"He's got a nice set of hands and a pretty good sense for the game and good instincts and he's pretty coachable, he just needs to be persistent and get his opportunity and then make the most of it," Smith said.

"He competes really hard. He's very durable, last year he didn't miss a game but he emptied his tank, he didn't save it up trying to pace himself through a game and he put his body on the line. He tried to make things happen in a game and that eventually forced 'Cappy' (McFadden) to give him a shot in first grade.

"He just needs to be persistent. He's one of those guys that wasn't always destined to be an NRL player. He's one of those players that need to work their way into a position and just keep battling away.

"We're seeing more and more now in the NRL guys who don't necessarily make it straight after under-20s, they chip away it for a couple of years and then get their opportunity. Iggy's right on the brink of an opportunity, he played first grade last year so he knows what it's all about."

https://www.nrl.com/paasis-puzzling-path-to-the-nrl/tabid/10874/newsid/83384/default.aspx

UPDATE...

Titans import Agnatius Paasi to extend NRL career after being granted 12-month Australian visa
April 4, 2015 11:00pm
Peter BadelThe Courier-Mail

The former Warriors bookend played his fifth NRL game against the Broncos on Friday night and is determined to be a fixture at the Titans beyond this season.

“The good news is that my visa has been sorted out,” Paasi said.

“I got the visa approved during the week so I was happy to get the news from the government.

“I’m not a permanent resident but I am allowed to stay here until next year. If the Titans want me, I will be able to extend the visa.

“It’s a relief. My partner always told me not to worry about it, to be patient and focus on football and thankfully I’m allowed to stay in Australia.”

Paasi is now hoping the Titans extend his NRL contract as well.

Paasi limped out of Cbus Super Stadium on Friday night with his left ankle encased in a compression boot, but is hopeful of being fit to face Parramatta this Saturday night.

“I have a little crack in the ligament, but I’ll ice it, leave it in the moon boot and I should be OK next week. The doc says it’s just bruising,” he said.

The real pain, however, has been his lonely life in Australia as he chased his NRL dream without wife Chloe and their three-year-old son Manatoa.

“It’s been really hard not seeing them,” Paasi said.

“Chloe is still back at home with our son. It’s been hard, I’ve been really lonely at times but the boys at the Titans have been very supportive.

“My partner has one semester left of university and when she graduates she will move to Australia.

“I haven’t seen them for three months now, but I call them every day to stay in touch and that keeps me on track.”

The 106kg hardman has caught the eye with his no-nonsense charges up the middle, but admits he is still learning the nuances of rugby league.

“I’m actually a rugby kid,” he said. “Growing up, I would watch the All Blacks and I didn’t play league until my final year of school, when Keebra Park (Gold Coast school) spotted me at some trials in New Zealand.

“I am enjoying my time at the Titans, so hopefully I keep improving and I can stay here for a couple more years.”

https://m.couriermail.com.au/sport/nrl/titans-import-agnatius-paasi-to-extend-nrl-career-after-being-granted-12-month-australian-visa/story-fniabrr8-1227291444382

Last edited:
Reaction score
P-Unit

P-Unit

Warriors Bench Player
Contributor
Reaction score
Unsure what he's up to now but meant to be back in NZ after leaving Salford. Will need to revisit this post soon...

Super League: Steve Rapira given compassionate leave by Salford Red Devils
Last Updated: 26/08/14 5:12pm

Steve Rapira: Allowed to return to New Zealand by Salford Red Devils

Salford Red Devils forward Steve Rapira has returned to New Zealand on compassionate leave.

The 25-year-old forward, who joined on a two-year contract from New Zealand Warriors last September, has been an ever-present since Iestyn Harris took over as head coach in April.

He will miss Sunday's Super League game at Wakefield after flying home but is hoping to return before the end of the season.

"At the moment he is planning to return."

Vickers on Rapira

"We will keep in further discussions with Steve ," said Salford chief executive Martin Vickers. "At the moment he is planning to return."

Vickers also confirmed that Australian scrum-half Tim Smith, who made his Red Devils debut against Wakefield in February, will be free to face his parent club on Sunday.

Smith, who is under contract with Salford next season, rejoined the Wildcats on loan in June and the Yorkshire club are hoping to make the move permanent.

https://www1.skysports.com/rugby-league/news/12196/9441411/super-league-steve-rapira-given-compassionate-leave-by-salford-red-devils

UPDATE...

Steve Rapira has signed for the Mackay Cutters...

Mackay Cutters Gains & Losses
QRL Media
Fri 28th November, 04:37PM

Josh Benjamin is off to Redcliffe next season. SMP Images

IN a major coup for the Mackay Cutters, former North Queensland Cowboys, New Zealand Warriors and Salford Reds’ forward Steve Rapira has signed with the club. It will continue a rugby league career which has included 57 games in the NRL and UK Super League.

Samoan Test hooker and 2013 Warriors NYC Player of the Year Michael Sio has also signed up with the club and is looking to make his mark in the Intrust Super Cup competition and boost his chances of securing an NRL contract in the near future.

https://www.qrl.com.au/news/2014/11/28/mackay_cutters_gains_losses.html
Yeah Steve is with the Cutters, along with Sio, but unfortunately Steve won't be playing this season. Tore his Archilles on the last session before Xmas.

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Yeah Steve is with the Cutters, along with Sio, but unfortunately Steve won't be playing this season. Tore his Archilles on the last session before Xmas.
Youre farkin joking- how unlucky is this bloke.
Love the bros but damn theyre injury prone.

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
cq5dam.web.1280.1280.jpeg

That draws to an end this project for now. After viewing thousands and thousands of links this is the best I can come up with. Thanks to those who have provided tips and leads.

The following players still have a question mark over their current status.

13. Tony Tuimavave - 45 - ??? Link
14. Se'e Solomona - 49 - ??? Living in Townsville Link
16. Jason Mackie - 45 - ??? Link

19. Syd Eru - 43 - ??? Link
31. Mark Carter - 46 - ??? Link
37. Brady Malam - 41 - ??? Still living in Auckland but thats I can find out at the moment Link
38. Bryan Henare - 40 - ??? Still living in Auckland but thats I can find out at the moment Link
45. Paul Staladi - 39 - ??? Link
49. David Bailey - 45 - ???Link
54. Zane Clark - ???Link
60. Terry Hermansson - ??? Possibly living in Christchurch Link
63. Peter Lewis - 35 - ??? Link
69. John Simon - 42 - ??? Link
74. Matt Spence - 38 - ??? Link
80. Shontayne Hape - 33 - ??? Travelling the world at the moment Link
84. Jonathan Smith - 35 - ??? Link
89. Jason Temu - 42 - ??? Living in Auckland Link
95. John Carlaw - 39 - ??? Possibly medical supplies sales
106. Vince Mellars - 30 - ??? Possibly retired and living in Brisbane Link
116. Shannon Stowers - 35 - ??? Link
120. Paul Atkins - 32 -??? Link
132. Wade McKinnon - 33 - ??? Link
133. Michael Crockett - ??? Link
134. Michael Witt - 31 - ??? Retired from Rugby League and looking to get into coaching Link
141. Russell Packer - 25 - ??? Just released from jail Link
155. Siuatonga Likiliki - 24 - ??? Living in Gold Coast, Australia and currently without a contract Link
161. Mataupu Poching - 26 - ??? Link

Some are in between careers, looking for new clubs, have disappeared without a trace or in the case of Russell Packer theyre on bail. The search, as always, is ongoing and if anyone can provide even the slightest clue for me to follow up on then please let me know by posting or private message.

If you find any new updates on existing ones or problems with links also let me know. Dont forget the first post on this thread has the full player list with links.

Just in case you havent already worked it out the number after the players name is their current age...

https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/2015-where-are-they-now.40187/#ixzz3P3OsJpCj..

Last edited:
Reaction score
P-Unit

P-Unit

Warriors Bench Player
Contributor
Reaction score
Youre farkin joking- how unlucky is this bloke.
Love the bros but damn theyre injury prone.
Yeah your not wrong bud, they both get there fair share at crucial times too

Reaction score
Jah

Jah

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Jesse was plucked from the mines in Newcastle to play for the Warriors and headed back there after he retired from the game. Anyone in the Kuri Kuri region able to confirm he is still there and playing league for the Kuri Kuri club???
Jess back in the mines retired from footy now

Reaction score
Ever Hopeful

Ever Hopeful

1st Grade Fringe
Contributor
Reaction score
Great job mt.wellington mt.wellington

I know this is for players, but do you have any information on what John Monie is up to these days?

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
Anyone see former Warriors U20 player Dylan Collier playing for the NZ 7s team???

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
While at the Glenora Bears club today I spotted and approached three former Warriors in Boycie Nelson, Brady Malam and Jason Temu. Only one who was a little standoffish was Brady but thanks to leads from Dixpat Dixpat and Horriors2014 Horriors2014 about a packaging business I was able to at least get him to admit he was involved and had a factory in Kumeu :). Nice guy though. All three were...

37. Brady Malam - 41 - ??? Still living in Auckland but thats I can find out at the moment Link
UPDATE...

Brady Malam is running with a packaging company. Still involved with his local Glenora Bears Rugby League Club...

https://www.business.govt.nz/companies/app/ui/pages/companies/4032699?backurl=/companies/app/ui/pages/individual/search?q=MALAM+Brady&start=&entitySearch=&addressKeyword=&postalCode=&country=&addressType=&advancedPanel=&roleType=ALL&sf=&sd=
https://www.budpac.co.nz/

70. Boycie Nelson - 40 - Police officer in West Auckland Link
UPDATE...

Still a cop in West Auckland and more specifically in Avondale. Also the Glenora Bears Premier coach for 2015...

Glenora Bears.jpg
Out West, Boycie Nelson steps into the top job after having been assistant to Brendon Douglas who moves to the Marist Saints as assistant to incumbent Anthony Lipscombe.

The Bears’ faithful would have been disappointed with the 2013 season.

But they did come away with some silverware, taking the Konica Minolta Roope Rooster off Mt Albert in the second to last game of the season, then defending against Bay Roskill Vikings the following week.

https://www.sportsground.co.nz/Article.asp?SiteID=3054&ArticleID=34370

UPDATE...

Owns and runs a drainage business...

Capture153.PNG

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score

That draws to an end this project for now. After viewing thousands and thousands of links this is the best I can come up with. Thanks to those who have provided tips and leads.

The following players still have a question mark over their current status.

38. Bryan Henare - 40 - ??? Still living in Auckland but thats I can find out at the moment Link
54. Zane Clark - ???Link
134. Michael Witt - 31 - ??? Retired from Rugby League and looking to get into coaching Link
155. Siuatonga Likiliki - 24 - ??? Living in Gold Coast, Australia and currently without a contract Link

Some are in between careers, looking for new clubs, have disappeared without a trace or in the case of Russell Packer theyre on bail. The search, as always, is ongoing and if anyone can provide even the slightest clue for me to follow up on then please let me know by posting or private message.

If you find any new updates on existing ones or problems with links also let me know. Dont forget the first post on this thread has the full player list with links.

Just in case you havent already worked it out the number after the players name is their current age...

https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/2015-where-are-they-now.40187/#ixzz3P3OsJpCj..
Glad to have struck off another two players off this list in Brady Malam and Jason Temu.

Russell Packer is training with the Illawarra Cutters so we should be able to update him soon if he starts playing for them.

Only 25 players left guys :)...

54. Zane Clark - ???Link

Reaction score
mt.wellington

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Reaction score
GAME DAY | Honouring the originals
Richard Becht
Mon 23rd March, 10:59PM

Dean Bell. Auckland Warriors v Brisbane Broncos 1995. Photo: www.photosport.co.nz

Foundation players will be thick on the ground for the Vodafone Warriors’ 20th anniversary match against Brisbane at Mount Smart Stadium on Sunday (2.00pm kick-off; match day sponsor: Vodafone).

It’s a rematch of the original Auckland Warriors’ debut in the competition on March 10, 1995, the Dean Bell-captain side captivating the nation on a night not to be forgotten when the Broncos needed an Allan Langer-inspired comeback to escape with a 25-22 win.

While final numbers are yet to be confirmed it’s possible as many as 13 of 1995's 28 foundation players will be at Mount Smart Stadium on Sunday, including nine who played in the opening night match against Brisbane.

Two of those players – captain Dean Bell (#1) and Duane Mann (#9) – work for the Vodafone Warriors while Stephen Kearney (#11) will be in Auckland in his capacity as an assistant coach for the Broncos.

Confirmed to travel from Sydney for the occasion is standoff Gene Ngamu (#6) while back rowers Tony Tuimavave (#13) and Tony Tatupu (#12), prop Gavin Hill (#8) – the first player actually signed by the Auckland Warriors – left wing Whetu Taewa (#5) and interchange utility Tea Ropati (#15) are all in line to attend.

Fullback Phil Blake (#2), the club’s first try-scorer, was among the guests for the 10thanniversary in 2005 but is now based in England coaching in rugby union. Also in England are cult hero Hitro Okesene (#10) and Martin Moana (#17); both played extensively in England after finishing with the Warriors.

The other five players from the first side – Sean Hoppe (#3), Manoa Thompson (#4), Greg Alexander (#7), Se’e Solomona (#14) and Jason Mackie (#16) – are also non-starters for the reunion.

Four of the other 11 players who appeared for the Auckland Warriors in 1995 will be on hand.

Record-holder Stacey Jones (#24), who is now the club’s New South Wales Cup coach, made his debut in the seventh round against Parramatta. Joining him and the rest of the crew will be fellow first-year players Joe Vagana (#18), Logan Edwards (#21) and Mike Dorreen (#25).

The remaining first-year players were Syd Eru (#19), Willie Poching (#20), current Blues rugby union coach Sir John Kirwan (#21), Andy Platt (#23), Richie Blackmore (#26), Frano Botica (#27) and Denis Betts (#28).

On a day when a number of other old boys will also be at the ground, the 1995 originals will be the guests of honour featuring in a number of ways including forming a guard of honour for the 2015 Vodafone Warriors as they run onto the field for the 20th anniversary match.

https://www.warriors.kiwi/news/2015/03/23/game_day_honouring_t.html

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
Good that they are getting a lot of the 95ers to the game. Sounds like things will be pretty low key. I don't mind that too much; hopefully the guys from the 95 side have a great day.

Kearney going to be in the guard of honor in his Broncos polo LOL.;) Lets just make sure we only invite him to the dressing room after the game; he can come celebrate the 20 years with the winners.:D

Top Bottom