General 2015 Warriors Recruitment Strategy and Targets

stra8shooter

Waterboy
Feb 18, 2015
Hi everyone, new to the website, just putting my thoughts forward.
If you think Hoffman was a good signing? In my opinion it wasn't. The warriors need to stop looking for the next "Kevin Campion", stop paying overs for established players. The whole recruitment process of the warriors has to be one of the worst in the entire NRL. Identifying talent, recruitment and developing players, the Warriors are among the worst in the business.

They need to invest in a PROVEN recruitment officer. The Roosters paid big bucks to steal Melbournes recruitment officer. Dean Bell? why on earth would you throw 1 Million a season to Taumalolo? Chasing Foran, Matai. All these players do is use the money the Warriors throw at them as a bargaining tool then end up staying where they are, Matai as signed on to stay with Manly.

The Management needs an overhaul, John Hart, Dean Bell need to follow Wayne Scurrah. They have had 8-10 years with 1 Grand Final appearance.

Unless the management changes, it will be the same old story.

The same way players are dropped and let go for not performing, should be the same for the Management. Wayne Scurrah did a brilliant job from a business perspective (Warriors Jerseys out sells the All Blacks jersey in Australia and #1 selling NRL jersey)

Eric Watson needs to recruit a proper management team.

Can't keep blaming the players that they purchase and develop.

Ozwarrior

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 8, 2014
If you think Hoffman was a good signing? In my opinion it wasn't. The warriors need to stop looking for the next "Kevin Campion", stop paying overs for established players. The whole recruitment process of the warriors has to be one of the worst in the entire NRL. Identifying talent, recruitment and developing players, the Warriors are among the worst in the business.

They need to invest in a PROVEN recruitment officer. The Roosters paid big bucks to steal Melbournes recruitment officer. Dean Bell? why on earth would you throw 1 Million a season to Taumalolo? Chasing Foran, Matai. All these players do is use the money the Warriors throw at them as a bargaining tool then end up staying where they are, Matai as signed on to stay with Manly.

The Management needs an overhaul, John Hart, Dean Bell need to follow Wayne Scurrah. They have had 8-10 years with 1 Grand Final appearance.

The same way players are dropped and let go for not performing, should be the same for the Management. Wayne Scurrah did a brilliant job from a business perspective (Warriors Jerseys out sells the All Blacks jersey in Australia and #1 selling NRL jersey)

You make it sound so simple! I think Hoffman was a good buy! We need to get players! We need to throw overs! I've been supporting this team since day 1! I here a lot of backseat drivers giving there 2 cents worth! Why don't we all sit back and let them throw everything they got for once! You could have God himself recruiting it wouldn't matter. You don't think the thought of Bondi in the back yard had has anything to do with the roosters getting players! Stop kidding yourself! I live in Sydney! The roosters in the eastern suburbs are like rock stars! I'm sure that helps! The beach the girls the spotlight!

About the jersey sales I would rather sell no jerseys and win the comp than win that race! Aussie is a league country anyway. Union is way down the list! Also the all blacks won a World Cup we have won nothing!

Reactions: 2 people

tajhay

Mar 30, 2012
Sydney

Welcome mate.

Can i ask what a new proven recruitment officer will bring? Will all the difficulties in luring people to Auckland suddenly disappear? We will suddenly not have to pay overs to compete with Aus based clubs? What exactly will change?

If we have the salary cap space to lure a player that can assist the team go on to achieve higher things, why not use that? No point having salary cap space and not utilising it. We do not magically save that salary cap nor does it flow onto the following year.

Also remember that even if the players use the Warriors to bump up their prices, other clubs are having to pay more to retain said players. This leads to increased salary cap pressure for the clubs, and results in them not being able to retain all the players they do want to retain.

Couldnt care how much we paid for Hoffman from a playing perspective TBH. Its what he brings to this club outside of being on the field that is going to be crucial. Bellamy gave a huge speech on Hoffman's departure and how instrumental he was for Melbourne in creating and retaining the culture they are reknown for, for his professionalism, and work ethic. And that is exactly what we need. Make no mistake, he is someone Bellamy would have loved to retain.

I hear all these people saying sack Dean Bell, but i never hear what exactly will change or what they want to change as a result of it. IMO hes doing an OK job, if not better than average. I would much rather our club be linked with all high profile players off contract, than noone. Atleast we are trying.

stra8shooter

Waterboy
Feb 18, 2015
Origin and Kangaroos players has nothing to do with it. The Balance of the team does. Hoffman compliments the other second rower and lock in the Origin and Kangaroos teams he has represented, Can he create something out of nothing? Is he a game breaker? Or does he play 80 mins, makes tackles and does his Job well......Oh Wait, the warriors have a player like that, his name is Simon Mannering. This whole "he brings experience and big game knowledge" is a way for the club to justify its recruitment strategy. Simon has played over 200 first games, is the current Kiwi captain, won the four nations, world cup, are they saying he is not experienced enough?

Recruitment is based on team dynamics. What players in which position can offer the most. You have a ball playing second rower, you compliment that with a solid defender and meter eater back rower, who knows, what ever the team dynamics the coach has in place.

Ben Matulino can be damaging on the edge and was a second rower until he played first grade, in my opinion he can be as damaging as Taumalolo on the fringes but because the Warriors are thin upfront, he has to play prop. You only have to look at the games he has moved to the edge to see that.

Chasing Foran, you don't need 2 super star halves to win the comp, Johnson is the lead actor, they just need to find a solid supporting actor.

All I am saying is the current management has had enough time to turn the Warriors into a top four team.

Reactions: mt.wellington

tajhay

Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
All I am saying is the current management has had enough time to turn the Warriors into a top four team.
Im really confused by that statement. Doyle hasnt even been CEO long enough for us to play 1 single game. Cappy took over as head coach early on last season and this is his first preseason in charge. Dean Bell is knocking on everyone high profile player that is off contract, look at other forums to see how envious other clubs are of us doing that. Eric Watson? Glen Owen? Who else in the current management are you referring to?

I finally see effort from the entire club trying to take this team into the right direction, and for that I am thankful.

stra8shooter

Waterboy
Feb 18, 2015
Who ever is in charge of the recruitment. I'm a bit behind on the new CEO and other management hiring.

If you think Dean Bell is doing an awesome Job knocking on every high profile Player coming off contract as a good thing then great. All this does is provide players with a bargaining tool to up the price tag. That's it.

The Cowboys scouted Taumalolo at the age of 13-14 years old from South Auckland. A list of others players that Warrior let slip, they cant keep every young talent, they just need to identify the RIGHT ones.

The Warriors have the biggest Rugby league nursery in the NRL, they brought Hoffman for his experience and his professionalism, will that translate into wins? we shall see after the first 10 games. They are chasing Foran and Taumalolo, that's 2 Million a season gone from the Salary cap, you know what that means? Home grown players will move onto other clubs to make way for these High profile players demanding big Salaries. If they sign Foran, will they have enough money to keep Johnson when he comes off contract and will know doubt be asking "I want the same money as Foran please".

That's not a recruitment strategy, that's "My Wallet is bigger than yours" strategy.

I'm optimistic about this year, but my opinion is still Dean Bell needs to step down.

Bunny Lynch

Warriors Bench Player
May 24, 2012

Welcome to the forum mate, but what a load of bollocks.

First of all, Ryan Hoffman is exactly what our pack needs. Established professionals. Hoffman is a seasoned pro of the highest order, been key to the Storms success over many years and is a proven state/international player. I can't imagine the Warriors recruitment were thinking 'we need another Kevin Campion' when they sounded him out. Ryan Hoffman is the polar opposite to the lazy players we have recruited/developed over the last 5 years or so.

Second of all, I do not buy into this bullshit that players use us as a bargaining chip to up their price.
Steve Matai took huge unders to stay with the Sea Eagles when the Warriors sounded him out a few years ago, and you could bet your bottom dollar (scuse the pun), that he would've taken a lot less to stay this time around.

As for Taumalolo, why wouldn't you throw a (reported) million dollars at him? Same goes for Foran.
These are the best young players in the game, we've got the money to spend. And just remember, the Warriors called out JT and KF, not the other way around. The Cowboys have said they wont move on their 500k offer, and Kieran Foran will get less than the Warriors are offering to stay on the Northern Beaches. Bargaining chip my arse.

If your not wanting our recruitment to pay overs for established players like Ryan Hoffman, not wanting our recruitment to pay overs for under established players like Jason Taumalolo, then what is it you want?
We need to pay overs irrespective, so I'd be interested in hearing what players you think we should recruit.

For the record, John Hart hasn't been at the club since 2011 Grand Final. Wayne Scurrah has been replaced by one of the most respected corporate figures in the game. And if there is a PROVEN recruitment officer you speak of, beggars can't be choosers mate. It's not as if the NRL is overflowing with blokes who are PROVEN in the area of recruitment. And after that rant of yours I'd say Dean Bell knows a helluva lot more about recruitment than you do.

I trust the club are looking at improving all aspects of the organization. And we are beginning to see those improvements. Jim Doyle has already proven he aint here to f*@k spiders.

Welcome brother

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
May 21, 2013
Don’t know if its paranoia from spending too much time on this place, but have a read and see how many lines from this article look like they’ve been directly lifted from the forum!

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11404159

Have to agree with it, seeing as already agreed with the same comments when they were posted on here.

Wish the NRL had an offseason free agency period like the US sports, would create mad interest and would save us from speculating on signings for 2016 when this season hasn’t even kicked off yet.

The Truth

1st Grade Fringe
Jun 17, 2013
I think some people forget that success leads to people wanting to be here. Paying overs now is a long term strategy that will hopefully breed success which in turn will have others wanting to come here for less.

If we were a consistent top 4 team and we offered a new up and coming player $600k compared to an offer of $1mill from Canberra, we would get them.
At the moment, we are Canberra.
We need to do a Melbourne, Manly, Roosters, Souths.

Jay M

Warriors 1st Grader
We need to do a Melbourne, Manly, Roosters, Souths.
One of the things that all of those sides have managed... is to have an experienced, skilled coach for a decent period of time.

Melbourne - had Bellamy since 2003 - winning record of 67%
Manly - had Hasler from 2004-2011 with a 59% winning record, then Toovey since with a 60% winning record
Roosters - identified Trent Robinson as an up and comer, he had 54% success at the Catalans Dragons, and 72% at the Roosters (plus a larger salary cap than everyone else to help)
Souths - Michael Maguire - 76% at Wigan, 65% at Souths.

Meanwhile, we had Cleary (who did have a 50% record here and now has 47% at the Panthers - but that will surely go up), replaced him with Bluey (no NRL experience and some dodgy ways), then Elliot (43-45% at three clubs in the NRL), and now McFadden who was a rookie...

If McFadden can over the next couple of years, develop a strong winning record approaching 60% or more... watch more players become interested in coming here... you see winning records like those coaches above - you think that will mean finals football every year, and then means higher chances of rep footy, which means more cash through either rep payments, contracts, or third party sponsors etc...

Makasene

1st Grade Fringe
May 10, 2012
Origin and Kangaroos players has nothing to do with it. The Balance of the team does. Hoffman compliments the other second rower and lock in the Origin and Kangaroos teams he has represented, Can he create something out of nothing? Is he a game breaker? Or does he play 80 mins, makes tackles and does his Job well......Oh Wait, the warriors have a player like that, his name is Simon Mannering. This whole "he brings experience and big game knowledge" is a way for the club to justify its recruitment strategy. Simon has played over 200 first games, is the current Kiwi captain, won the four nations, world cup, are they saying he is not experienced enough?

I'd expect to see Mannering at 13 but anyway based on your argument we may as well get on the phone to Epalahame Lauaki. Personally a back row of Bodene Thompson, Ryan Hoffman and Simon Mannering has me salivating.

Jordan G

When you babysit a single kid it's manageable, hell, sometimes even enjoyable. Throw in a second kid and things get more hectic. A third and good luck etc

The point is we need guys like Hoffman because Mannering can't babysit all the kids every week.

Secondly, with the increase in cap, Hoffman by comparison to previous years is not on massive overs as some like to claim.

stra8shooter

Waterboy
Feb 18, 2015
Welcome to the forum mate, but what a load of bollocks.

First of all, Ryan Hoffman is exactly what our pack needs. Established professionals. Hoffman is a seasoned pro of the highest order, been key to the Storms success over many years and is a proven state/international player. I can't imagine the Warriors recruitment were thinking 'we need another Kevin Campion' when they sounded him out. Ryan Hoffman is the polar opposite to the lazy players we have recruited/developed over the last 5 years or so.

Second of all, I do not buy into this bullshit that players use us as a bargaining chip to up their price.
Steve Matai took huge unders to stay with the Sea Eagles when the Warriors sounded him out a few years ago, and you could bet your bottom dollar (scuse the pun), that he would've taken a lot less to stay this time around.

As for Taumalolo, why wouldn't you throw a (reported) million dollars at him? Same goes for Foran.
These are the best young players in the game, we've got the money to spend. And just remember, the Warriors called out JT and KF, not the other way around. The Cowboys have said they wont move on their 500k offer, and Kieran Foran will get less than the Warriors are offering to stay on the Northern Beaches. Bargaining chip my arse.

If your not wanting our recruitment to pay overs for established players like Ryan Hoffman, not wanting our recruitment to pay overs for under established players like Jason Taumalolo, then what is it you want?
We need to pay overs irrespective, so I'd be interested in hearing what players you think we should recruit.

For the record, John Hart hasn't been at the club since 2011 Grand Final. Wayne Scurrah has been replaced by one of the most respected corporate figures in the game. And if there is a PROVEN recruitment officer you speak of, beggars can't be choosers mate. It's not as if the NRL is overflowing with blokes who are PROVEN in the area of recruitment. And after that rant of yours I'd say Dean Bell knows a helluva lot more about recruitment than you do.

I trust the club are looking at improving all aspects of the organization. And we are beginning to see those improvements. Jim Doyle has already proven he aint here to f*@k spiders.

Welcome brother
Thanks for that great response to my post.

You noted that Hoffman is the polar opposite to the lazy players the warriors have recruited/developed over the last 5 years, and who was responsible for those recruits? The guy you eagerly endorse.
Hoffman is a great player in his own right (what a great team he was apart of with Slater,Cronk, and Inglis). yes he will bring professionalism and experience to the Warriors, but will that translate to Winning? like I said, we will know after the first 10 rounds. From a rugby league perspective you have Mannering and Hoffman in the back row, similar style of player, will they feature in the "watch out for these players" team list of opposing teams. Like I said, team Dynamics.

Why wouldn't I throw 1 million Dollars at Taumalolo? Go down to Mangere East rugby league club, Otara Scorpians or any other league club in Auckland and you will see a Taumalolo at every club. My point being, and please correct me if I'm wrong, how can the cowboys scout Taumalolo at 13 years of age and develop him into the player he is now? and you still think Dean Bell is doing a great job at recruiting players? paying $750,000 transfer fee for Tomkins? Still think that was a good buy?

In regards to Matai, or any other player who the warriors sound out. I stated that they use the warriors as a bargaining chip, why? Even though they may have taken less to stay, they still bumped up their current contracts. Example - Manly offer Steve $300,000 a year, Warriors reportedly offer Steve lets say $450,000 a year and he shows Manly this. Manly now bump up an extra $50,000 and add another year to his contract. Just because they received less than what the warriors were offering doesn't mean they don't use it as a bargaining tool. Every player does it with every other club, not just the Warriors.

You build a team around your superstars, give Conrad a Winger that can finish, Manu a centre that can consistently draw his winger in and feed him, give Johnson a forward pack that can give him TIME, something like that. What ever Cappy has in his play book. Melbourne, regardless of the salary cap scandal, the best team over the last decade is the epitome of this concept.

I never said I could recruit better than Dean Bell, all I am stating is this...........................New CEO, New Coach, but the same guy who has been recruiting for the last 5-6 years?

With the biggest Rugby League nursery in all of the NRL, why hasn't that translated to winning a premiership?

stra8shooter

Waterboy
Feb 18, 2015
When you babysit a single kid it's manageable, hell, sometimes even enjoyable. Throw in a second kid and things get more hectic. A third and good luck etc

The point is we need guys like Hoffman because Mannering can't babysit all the kids every week.

Secondly, with the increase in cap, Hoffman by comparison to previous years is not on massive overs as some like to claim.
So what your saying is that the other players aren't up to scratch?

stra8shooter

Waterboy
Feb 18, 2015
I'd expect to see Mannering at 13 but anyway based on your argument we may as well get on the phone to Epalahame Lauaki. Personally a back row of Bodene Thompson, Ryan Hoffman and Simon Mannering has me salivating.
I'd be more excited at a back row of Hoffman,Mannering and Matulino with Bodene coming off the bench.

Reactions: tajhay

mode81

1st Grade Fringe
Jul 25, 2012
Dean Bell is no recruitment messiah.. getting class players to relocate from oz isn't that simple hence our recruitment has had to put up with scraps like Lowrie, Bukuya and under achievers like Mateo..

Pulling off a signing the calibre of Ryan Hoffman a guy who was Origin player of the year last year and a player in the prime of his career Bell can be commended for doing a great job it's a huge step in the right direction in terms of professionalism for our club.

stra8shooter

Waterboy
Feb 18, 2015
Dean Bell is no recruitment messiah.. getting class players to relocate from oz isn't that simple hence our recruitment has had to put up with scraps like Lowrie, Bukuya and under achievers like Mateo..

Pulling off a signing the calibre of Ryan Hoffman a guy who was Origin player of the year last year and a player in the prime of his career Bell can be commended for doing a great job it's a huge step in the right direction in terms of professionalism for our club.
I totally agree in that perspective, Hoffman brings loads of experience, obviously I must not be clear enough on my stance. In terms of actual playing ability, my point is that Simon and Ryan are similar Players, and for that reason I disagree with that signing. Both solid on defense, wealth of experience. I will be watching closely this season to see how Hoffman goes. Will he still make the Kangaroos and Origin squad? time will tell.

Reactions: mt.wellington

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)

Last Game

13 Sep

5.7 Total Avg Rating
5.1 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 11 ratings