Injury 2015 Warriors Injury Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

¿N. ig-mah¿

Warriors 1st Grader
May 1, 2012
Invercargill
He has moved to Newcastle to have a crack at one of their sides I believe...
Actually, a correction to you and me, apparently, he has just been resigned at the Warriors, along with a few others.

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/warriors-sign-irish-international/

THE Warriors have signed Irish international Api Pewhairangi on a one-year deal.

Pewhairangi made his NRL debut at Parramatta in 2013 before spending 2014 playing for Wentworthville in the NSW Cup.

He was given the opportunity at the Warriors after registering to trial with their NSW Cup side last month.

The 22-year-old, who has an Irish grandmother, played two matches for Ireland in the 2013 World Cup.

Warriors general manager football, Dean Bell, said: “We were well aware of Api’s ability after watching him come through the NYC and New South Wales Cup as well as playing some NRL football for the Eels.

“He was a real standout at our New South Wales Cup trial. We immediately invited him to join our squad for off-season training and he has continued to make a big impression which has now resulted in him being contracted.

“He has played in the centres but we like the look of him in the halves where he will definitely add to our depth.”

Meanwhile, Warriors NSW Cup captain Steve Waetford has been re-signed along with team-mates Albert Vete, Nathaniel Peteru, Sam Cook, Upu Poching and Jarrod Tua.

Read more: https://www.nzwarriors.com/threads/...-rumour-mill-2015.39888/page-45#ixzz3KEw8Q7Yo

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Saw in another thread that someone said Jacob Lillyman had had surgery. Can confirm this.

He had knee surgery. Had fat removed from his stomach area and placed in his knee. There was a mention of stem cells but that portion of the conversation went right over my head. Bull has actually been playing with next to no cartilage in one of his knees for some time. Surgery was minor so he should be fighting fit soon.

Lead post updated...

tajhay

Negative Nancy
Mar 30, 2012
Sydney
https://www.nrl.com/warriors-flyer-to-miss-season-start/tabid/10874/newsid/83304/default.aspx

Warriors flyer Glen Fisiiahi looks likely to miss the start of the 2015 NRL campaign as he struggles to overcome nerve damage in his right shoulder.

After suffering the injury while attempting a tackle against the Sharks in Round 5 earlier this year, Fisiiahi underwent a shoulder reconstruction mid-year and remains unable to return to full training duties.

The fullback-turned-winger has struggled to regain full movement and has had to re-invent his running style as a result.

"[Recovery] is very slow for 'Fish' (Fisiiahi)," Warriors coach Andrew McFadden said.

"It's not an easy one, it's going to take time and we will see how that pans out; it could be a couple of months, it could be another six months, we don't know yet.

"It's very frustrating for him but it's good to see him back out there…it has put a smile back on his face."

Despite taking part in the entire Warriors' pre-season program to date, Fisiiahi is restricted to 'pink bib duty' having to stay out of any contact work.

As well as stalling his preparations for the upcoming season, the injury is also leaving the door wide open for someone to make Fisiiahi's right wing spot their own.

Rookie wing David Fusitua, who continues to recover from injury himself, remains a favourite to claim the spot after a strong first year where he scored seven tries in 12 games. New recruits Jonathan Wright and Matt Allwood are also expected to challenge.

"Right now I am just staying out of all the contact stuff which is pretty frustrating," Fisiiahi told NRL.com.

"Not being able to do all that stuff feels like you are pulling up short of doing the full session.

"Up until about a month ago I was also getting back spasms (when he ran) simply because my running technique wasn't right.

"But now I am getting stronger in my back which is helping out a lot.

"Sometimes I am still feeling uncomfortable during training, but it's just a case of me putting my hand up to call the trainers and they can pull me out.

"In a way it's a good thing [that there is competition for wing spots]. If one of us goes down the next one can fill the spot."

Since making his NRL debut in 2011 Fisiiahi has encountered more than his fair share of setbacks.

After initially struggling to nail down a regular first-grade spot he had a torrid 2013, dealing with the death of his sister before suffering a season-ending pectoral injury.

But while the current situation is frustrating, Fisiiahi says the lay-off hasn't been all bad and has given him time to refocus his priorities.

"I think I was the only one smiling when pre-season started, it was good to just get around the boys and be back on the field," the 24-year-old said.

"I appreciate being injury-free a bit more now because I know what it's like on the other side.

"I was stuck in the gym for about six months and it gets pretty lonely in there, having your own gym music tracks on repeat.

"I saw plenty of injured boys come and go and I was the last one remaining.

"Outside of footy there is some other stuff that I have sorted out and got in line, it has sort of put me in a better space."

Disappointing. I would love to see what Fish has to offer the team whilst being injury free for a season. Hopefully its a quick recovery and he doesnt miss too many games. Make or break year for him.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Updated 17/12/14

No Longer Injured

31/10/14 Ben Henry - Knee - Unknown but is training Link Is back fully training
31/10/14 Ben Matulino - Knee - Unknown but is training Link Is back fully training

Current Injury List

31/10/14 Glen Fisiiahi - Shoulder - Indefinite but is training Link Unlikely to start the season Link
31/10/14 Konrad Hurrell - Wrist - 4-6 weeks Link but is back training Link
13/11/14 Thomas Leuluai - Shoulder - Unknown Link
27/11/14 David Fusitua - Shoulder - Indefinite but hopeful of being fit early in the season. Players word
15/12/14 Jacob Lillyman - Knee - 4 weeks Surgery to try replace cartilage. Players word
Beat me to it tajhay tajhay :)

List updated...

Leedslion007

1st Grade Fringe
Aug 21, 2013
Brisbane
Knee surgery for Lillyman.... That's dissapointing, we are already thin up front hope he gets fit for RD1

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Saw in another thread that someone said Jacob Lillyman had had surgery. Can confirm this.

He had knee surgery. Had fat removed from his stomach area and placed in his knee. There was a mention of stem cells but that portion of the conversation went right over my head. Bull has actually been playing with next to no cartilage in one of his knees for some time. Surgery was minor so he should be fighting fit soon.

Lead post updated...
That's what finished Sean Fitzpatricks career I believe

Re Fish, I read on here he is suffering nerve damage in the shoulder, isn't that what Matai has had for years, he might just have to play through it if he wants to play

Reactions: mt.wellington

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
That's what finished Sean Fitzpatricks career I believe

Re Fish, I read on here he is suffering nerve damage in the shoulder, isn't that what Matai has had for years, he might just have to play through it if he wants to play
Highly unlikely Matai has anything close to what Fish is suffering from. I'm certainly no expert however nerve damage of the sort Fish has would most likely lead to a significant reduction in strength. If its his vertebrae causing the damage then it's basically blocking signals to other parts of the body. Not good and if its severe enough then I don't doubt the rumours that his career could be in serious jeopardy.

wallacenz

Warriors 1st Grader
May 7, 2012
Highly unlikely Matai has anything close to what Fish is suffering from. I'm certainly no expert however nerve damage of the sort Fish has would most likely lead to a significant reduction in strength. If its his vertebrae causing the damage then it's basically blocking signals to other parts of the body. Not good and if its severe enough then I don't doubt the rumours that his career could be in serious jeopardy.
I didnt realise it was spine, I read shoulder.

This is the last year of his contract so I guess that will be it for him, its a shame we miss out on a guy with pace and footwork on the wing which is a lot different to the smash and bash players the Warriors normally get there.

Mr Brownstone

1st Grade Fringe
Nov 9, 2014
I didnt realise it was spine, I read shoulder.

This is the last year of his contract so I guess that will be it for him, its a shame we miss out on a guy with pace and footwork on the wing which is a lot different to the smash and bash players the Warriors normally get there.
You are no doubt correct about it being shoulder nerve damage however my understanding is that these sort of problems originate where nerves connect to the spine. The point I was just making was that if it is a serious nerve problem, which everything I've read suggests it is, then it isn't an option to just play with it.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Jun 21, 2012
Mt. Wellington, Auckland
Konrad-Hurrell.jpg

HURRELL’S INJURY HORROR
Warriors
January 18, 2015

WARRIORS centre sensation Konrad ‘Hurricane’ Hurrell is in danger of missing the 2015 season kick-off – after recovering from a unique injury that caused his wrist bone to “virtually die”.

In a major blow to the Warriors, Hurrell is making slow but steady progress from major wrist surgery and could have a late start to the new season.

“Koni is probably our main injury concern at this stage in terms of being right for the kick-off,”Warriors coach Andrew McFadden tells RLW.

“His wrist troubled him for a long time last season but he played on with it.

“Then he had a surgery our medical people said was unique for a young athlete. There was major bone damage to the wrist – the bone virtually died.

“It took a lot of delicate surgery and the recovery will take a while.

“We obviously don’t want to rush him and we want to be sure he is 100 per cent when he comes back – whenever that is.

“Hopefully he will be all right for round one but right now it is honestly too early to tell.

“He is getting the best medical care and advice and is working hard on his rehab.”

Hurrell, 23, had a career-defining season in 2014. He established himself as one of the most damaging ball runners in the NRL, making a staggering 21 line breaks in 19 games – the most for the attack-minded Warriors. He also crossed for 12 tries, behind only cult hero winger Manu Vatuvei (17) and English livewire Sam Tomkins (13).

“Konnie was great for us,” McFadden agrees.

“He has always had the ability and really applied himself and had a great year.

“We are hopeful he can take it up another notch when he overcomes this little setback.”

With former Queensland Origin centre Dane Nielsen signing with the Dragons and utility Ben Henry now regarded as more of a back-rower, the Warriors are desperate for Hurrell to be ready to go in round one.

The club has a shortage of established centres, with Ngani Laumape and Raiders recruit Matt Allwood the likely starters should the damaging Hurrell be ruled out for the opening games.

https://rugbyleagueweek.com.au/hurrells-injury-horror/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Parramatta Eels Suncorp Stadium, Brisbane Rate Match

Last Game

16 May

18 - 34
4.4 Total Avg Rating
1.2 Your Avg Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 11 ratings