Internationals 2015 ANZAC Test

Reaction score
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Reaction score
As much as it hurts to say but Hayne and Brett Morris were great for them in that 2013 World Cup final.. They've really missed both their clinical play and finishing prowess since that final.
You wouldn’t think a winger would make that much difference, but Brett Morris might have prevented both of Manu’s tries, he’s a great player.

They would’ve plonked Hayne in the centres, can’t upset the great GI.

Reaction score
jonno

jonno

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
You wouldn’t think a winger would make that much difference, but Brett Morris might have prevented both of Manu’s tries, he’s a great player.

They would’ve plonked Hayne in the centres, can’t upset the great GI.
So let me get this straight. Are you saying better Aussie defense might have made a difference to the outcome of the game?

Reaction score
eudebrito

eudebrito

|-|
Contributor
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. Are you saying better Aussie defense might have made a difference to the outcome of the game?
Not the outcome, the kiwis were winning that game not matter what, australia had individuals come up with lots of poor plays under pressure, a few better or more committed players out there, might have had less errors and game would have been closer.

Reminded me of the 2013 world cup final in reverse, they came out fizzing and smashed us with their defence, kiwis started dropping the ball, they barely made an error and ran away with it comfortably.

Afterwards, fans had to concede they were better and wanted it more, we had the likes of JWH puffing himself up and then getting his ass handed to him, they were ruthless.

Less crooked officiating and we would have duplicated the 30 point winning margin from that game.

Reaction score
a.c.e

a.c.e

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Anyone get a kick out of watching the Kiwis first try?

SJ to RTS to Manu!
All so Issac Luke pass that ball from the back of the scrum . . . and we have him too!!

Reaction score
Raurimu Massive

Raurimu Massive

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Kiwis #1 ranked team OFFICIALLY, YEAH BABY!
Yeah baby!!!

Kiwis climb to top of the world rankings

• The Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) confirmed as much on Thursday night.

"New Zealand well travel to England in the autumn for their three match international series as, officially, the best team in rugby league," the RLIF said in a statement.

"In a historic move, the Kiwis have wrestled top spot away from Australia for the first time since the world rankings began."

Kiwis coach Stephen Kearney was rapt.

"It's always humbling when your accomplishments are recognised in a tangible way," he said.

"And this is a sign that we are doing something right in terms of our overall goal which is to continually strive towards achieving our potential."

He praised the hard work of New Zealand Rugby League, the players and the staff.

"Despite this accolade, we still consider Australia the benchmark for international rugby league and we know that defending this No 1 ranking against England on their home soil later this year will also present a wonderful challenge for us."

RUGBY LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL RANKINGS

1. New Zealand

2. Australia

3. England

4. Samoa

5. France

6. Fiji

7. Ireland

8. Scotland

9. Wales

10. USA

- Stuff.co.nz

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/68569269/kiwis-climb-to-top-of-the-world-rankings

Reaction score
Defence

Defence

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Why are tonga always rated so low in these rankings?

Reaction score
snake77

snake77

Warriors 1st Grader
Reaction score
I remember the cover of the old Fatboy Slim Album. I'm number one why try harder?

Why?

To carry on the good times and stick our foot on the Australians throat. No mercy.

Hopefully we are on top for a while. Be great for the game in this country.

Reaction score
brightman

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but if and when our warriors look for a new coach I want Kearney full stop.

Reaction score
Richie

Richie

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Slightly off topic but if and when our warriors look for a new coach I want Kearney full stop.
Kearney deserves credit for the job he's done with the Kiwis, no doubt. And he's learned under some of the modern day great coaches. But there are quite a few reasons one shouldn't assume that success coaching the Kiwis would transfer into success coaching the Warriors, even taking into account the increased Kiwi make-up of next year's Warriors (someone already mentioned the Bluey example). Personally, I'm hoping that Cappy gets the team firing and establishes himself long-term. Otherwise, I hope Bellamy will want a new challenge after the big three move on and Doyle shows us that his recruitment skills are not limited to snaring top players. Outside of Cappy getting us a GF win, or luring a super-coach like Bellamy here though, I'd probably agree that Kearney deserves to be head of the prospective Warrior's coach list.

Reaction score
brightman

brightman

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Remember that Bluey had some success as Kiwi's Coach. Be careful what you wish for. Could do a lot worse though.
You're right... and wrong;) were is Bluey now? If we're comparing the two which man has picked himself up and learnt from his mistakes? His experience thus far will have seasoned him for much more success at test level and club once he takes his opportunity again. No disrespect to Bluey I know he holds more importance in other areas of his life.
I hope Bellamy will want a new challenge after the big three move on and Doyle shows us that his recruitment skills are not limited to snaring top players.
When Bellamy leaves the Storm Kearney will be shortlisted to take over, mark my words. Doyle has enough brains let alone an established relationship with the current coach of the #1 league team in the world to know who to go after, McFadden will need results to keep 'The Boss' happy

Reaction score
Richie

Richie

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
You're right... and wrong;) were is Bluey now? If we're comparing the two which man has picked himself up and learnt from his mistakes? His experience thus far will have seasoned him for much more success at test level and club once he takes his opportunity again. No disrespect to Bluey I know he holds more importance in other areas of his life.

When Bellamy leaves the Storm Kearney will be shortlisted to take over, mark my words. Doyle has enough brains let alone an established relationship with the current coach of the #1 league team in the world to know who to go after, McFadden will need results to keep 'The Boss' happy

I wouldn't mind Kearney getting the Storm gig, as I can't see it hurting his commitment to the Kiwis. They have a great system and most of our best young forwards are there, so the link remains strong. Supposedly Bellamy is a shoe in for the Aus job though, which will soon be a full-time gig ala SOO coaching, so I doubt we'll be seeing him at the Warrior's helm for some time, if ever.

You are right. McFadden will need results, by the end of next year at the absolute latest. While he'll get the benefit of the doubt this year (unless something horrible happens, i.e. we come last or otherwise drop our guts big-time), I can't see him surviving to see out the last year of his contract in 2017 if we don't at least make top 8 next year, maybe even top 4. Big rosters come with big expectations.

Reaction score
Maraea

Maraea

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I'm really looking forward to the series against England at the end of the year. Watching some super league during the week I'm reminded that super league and nrl are so different. 1) The commentators didn't go off topic a lot and I'm guessing its because they just didn't have time to, the game flowed quickly and there wasn't a lot of stoppages for the third ref and replay after replay of the same thing from different angles, ya da ya da, which I'm use to with NRL but it is enjoyable watching officiating where that sort of stuff doesn't seem to happen so frequently during the game. 2) Quick play of the ball naturally and not much slowing down of the play by lying around in the tackle. The players seemed to be on their feet and ready to go a lot quicker in comparison to NRL.

I liked the way the super league game flows. With neutral refereeing, international rules and England having some really good players to choose from I think the England team would have come a lot closer to winning the game had they been playing instead of Australia in that anzac test. I think the series at the end of the year is going to be a lot more exciting to watch and hope each side is up for it with no major injuries it should be awesome.

Reaction score
Pete

Pete

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
Somehow after the three smashings of Aus I have list a little interest in Origin. Dads army vs average up and comers plus a few stars. Might start to be like country vs city. Yawn. Are Pearce and Maloney really origin standard? Better to watch NZ vs NZ 2 at the moment or against an island mix. Then you will see aggression. Downside will be half the Warriors team would be either injured or suspended the next week. When Slater, Smith, Ingles and Gallen go.Who is left? Except of course from the awesome people you could name.

Reaction score
Brother Faisal

Brother Faisal

1st Grade Fringe
Reaction score
I think the game is slowly losing it's great Australian stars while New Zealand is developing new stars. I always thought Aussie was unbeatable no matter how crap they were. That is now a myth and it's simply who has the best talent and culture plus balance of coaching that creates a consistency product. If Aaron woods is the starting prop for Aussie for the next 10 yrs then we've got some great times ahead.

Reaction score

couch coach

Waterboy
Reaction score
sooner than later the Kiwi coach has to coach the warriors, as soon as the Kiwi coach o aches he warriors you got payers coming home cos even in stein knows that if you want to be playing for the kiwis you have to pay for the kiwis. 5 years down the track 80% of the kiwis side play for the warriors. If they're mostly warriors players, they already on their turangawaewae

Reaction score
matiunz

matiunz

Assistant Ballboy
Contributor
Reaction score
sooner than later the Kiwi coach has to coach the warriors, as soon as the Kiwi coach o aches he warriors you got payers coming home cos even in stein knows that if you want to be playing for the kiwis you have to pay for the kiwis. 5 years down the track 80% of the kiwis side play for the warriors. If they're mostly warriors players, they already on their turangawaewae
Didn't make too much difference the other 2 times the Warriors have had the kiwis coach unfortunately,
Kiwis generally play better when the players come from more teams than the bulk coming from the Warriors

Reaction score

couch coach

Waterboy
Reaction score
Didn't make too much difference the other 2 times the Warriors have had the kiwis coach unfortunately,
Kiwis generally play better when the players come from mo
re teams than the bulk coming from the Warriors
large % of our winning team were from the warriors roster recently. turangawaewae is it any coincidence thompson looks better being based in nz now?

Top Bottom