General 2014 Coaching & Management + Coach Poll

Preferred Coach for 2015?

• Total voters
https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9936026/NZ-Warriors-go-on-the-front-foot-for-their-fans

NZ Warriors go on the front foot for their fans

Eric Watson won't rule out offering Warriors members a share of their club as a solution to his damaging partnership battle with Sir Owen Glenn.

Watson and Glenn remain at odds after a messy week of public mudslinging following the sacking of coach Matthew Elliott.

In attempt to regain some lost ground yesterday, the Warriors went on the front foot by re-signing captain Simon Mannering, offering up their chief executive's head if they fail to make this season's National Rugby League play-offs, making noises about selling shares to club members and attempting to pacify upset fans by saying they want to stay at Mt Smart Stadium.

The ownership remains the hot topic and Watson, in a lengthy interview with Fairfax Media, said he was committed to buying out Glenn's half share, bought for over $6m.

He also hinted at being open to selling shares to the 9000-plus Warriors club members.

"We have a lot of members and they are the people we owe the first duty to in many ways," he said.

"Would they like to have a financial involvement in the club? Look, if that made sense, well, the Broncos are publicly listed. I'd have no problem with that at all if that made sense. Whatever is best for the Warriors."

Watson was happy to have an independent valuation after Glenn had earlier accused him of trying to buy it back cheaply.

"My view is that we would get two or three valuers to value it and then we'd take an average of those valuations," he said.

Watson admitted it could take some time for him and Glenn to sort out the shareholding.

"It could take forever . . . but quite frankly, it doesn't matter. The club is properly governed."

Watson also conceded Warriors fans were not happy with games being moved to Eden Park.

"My vision is that we have a stadium with 20,000 or 30,000 members at Mt Smart - where we ideally want to be, even if the council can't get its act together - but Eden Park is not Mt Smart. The members have told us they want Mt Smart and we understand that. We need to toughen up as an organisation, and we need to be seen to be tough. We need to be seen to be accountable.

Watson was firmly trying to portray the club as not being in crisis and attempted to deflect fan anger against chief executive Wayne Scurrah - accused of presiding over a parade of vanquished coaches.

"What we want and what we've always had until now is a very functional organisation," he asserted in a long interview with the Sunday Star-Times "The NRL will tell you that this is one of their top three governed clubs without a doubt. We are better run than the majority of NRL clubs.

"It's nonsense to say the club's in disarray. It's far from in disarray. It's incredibly sound. It's financially stable but we have a rogue shareholder, which has been damaging. You don't see Russell Crowe in the newspaper abusing his club and what they are doing because he wants to sell his shares.

"This just needs to be put to one side. The business is well governed, has a board with independent directors, and will continue to flourish. Despite the fact that people think otherwise, the Warriors are flourishing. That will continue irrespective of the poor behaviour of one of the shareholders.

"The job now is to try and get past that and make sure the members, the fans and the media understand that this business will go on. It does have a new coach. Shocking news, isn't it? Wow, an NRL team changed its coach because it thought it had a better one."

Watson confirmed Mannering's contract had been extended for four years and said the skipper's decision was a vote of confidence in the club's future.

"Simon had many options and with the money in the NRL increasing significantly of late, players like Simon can command large contracts with any team in Australasia. Simon could have waited and thought about what he wanted to do. Or he could step up now and support his new coach and take any doubt out of the system. Doubt is weakness. I believe we will be able to say that Simon's made the right decision."

He also revealed Scurrah had offered his resignation last year but he had not accepted it. Scurrah had made the same offer if the Warriors failed to make this year's top eight finals, only this time Watson said he would accept it.

- © Fairfax NZ News

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9936236/Coach-Andrew-McFadden-says-hes-ready-to-go/

Coach Andrew McFadden says he's ready to go

When Andrew McFadden was appointed assistant coach of the Kiwis a month ago he said he hoped the experience would help him achieve his long-term goal of being an NRL head coach.

Little did he know that day was just around the corner.

But such has been the fallout over Matt Elliott's departure and the bitter feud between the Warriors' owners, Sir Owen Glenn and Eric Watson, that it's been largely forgotten that today against the Bulldogs, a new chapter in the club's history is beginning.

McFadden, or "Cappy", was something of an anonymous figure when he was Elliott's assistant, usually only fronting the media when the boss wasn't around.

The 36-year-old, married to Bonnie with two children, Harley, 3, and Sebastian, 20 months, played exactly 100 NRL games.

Most of them were for the Canberra Raiders, where he formed a halves combination with Mark McLinden known as the "Mac Attack", 21 were with the Eels and he played just three times over a two-year span with the Melbourne Storm due to injuries.

He began his coaching career in 2005 with the Raiders' Jersey Flegg team and in 2007 he went to France, spending two years coaching the Catalans Dragons, as assistant to Mick Potter.

His first year there coincided with Stacey Jones' last with the club, and Jones remembers that McFadden wasn't afraid to speak his mind.

"Straight away I knew he had a knack," Jones said. "He wasn't afraid to voice his opinion even though he was the assistant coach. He is a hell of a nice guy, but he's also very firm. He's very direct in his approach and what he wants."

Jones, who is now the Warriors under-20s coach, feels McFadden learnt a lot from his time in France working at the Super League club.

"He coached before he came to France, then he went back to Canberra and coached there. He's relatively young, because he started coaching when he was young.

"But he's done the right kind of apprenticeship to move into the position."

Ruben Wiki, who also played alongside him at the Raiders, remembers a willing competitor.

"He was a fierce little mongrel," Wiki said. "He was very competitive and wore his heart on his sleeve. I was very honoured to actually play with Cappy. He is very thorough with everything he does around game plans and attack focus. He backs up what he did when he was playing."

McFadden admits that he didn't see his head coach opportunity coming as quickly as it did, but says he's ready for the challenge.

"It is definitely a shock and my head is spinning a bit," McFadden said. "I've spoken to Matt a few times, I know he's obviously disappointed, but as he's been all along, he's been very supportive of me.

"He has always given me confidence that I'm ready for it and I believe I am too, that's why I've taken it."

McFadden's nice guy persona worries some who prefer a more gruff figure to push the players. McFadden insists he is that man.

- © Fairfax NZ News

Reactions: InsideBall
Well, if this new thread relates to the owner issues:

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/league/news/article.cfm?c_id=79&objectid=11237325

Sir Owen Glenn's public outburst has rocked the Warriors this week, but it is not the first time his conduct as owner has raised eyebrows at the club.

Sources told the Herald on Sunday that Sir Owen, who started a war of words this week with co-owner Eric Watson and senior club officials over his disquiet at the way former coach Matthew Elliott was sacked, has been a polarising figure at the club.

His partnership with Watson was meant to take the Warriors to the next level, and Sir Owen was passionate about plans for a rugby league academy, but several incidents have caused consternation, sources said.

Last year, Sir Owen invited all of the players' wives and girlfriends, and some female Warriors staff, on a cruise around Auckland Harbour on his superyacht Ubiquitous.

They were attended by several mini-skirted waitresses and at one point everyone played charades. After the games, prizes were given out, including fur handcuffs and g-strings.

"It was all a bit awkward. I know a lot of us felt a bit uncomfortable and we didn't think it was appropriate," said a player's partner.

There were other issues. Sir Owen described Sonny Bill Williams as a show pony shortly after he came on board as Warriors co-owner in March 2012, making it plain he wasn't interested in bringing the cross-code star to the Auckland club. But Williams was on the Warriors' radar, even though the Sydney Roosters were favourites for his signature, and Sir Owen's statement scuppered any chance of SBW joining his hometown team, said a source.

Sir Owen was also said to be central to the decision to dump coach Brian McClennan with two games to go in 2012.

Other club officials wanted to wait until the end of the season but instead McClennan was removed at an awkward time, giving caretaker coach Tony Iro a hospital pass.

Sir Owen was also a key driver of the infamous press conference in July 2012, when he and Watson announced the club's ambition to become the biggest sporting franchise in Australasia. Other club officials were reluctant to make such a grandiose statement. The team didn't win another game that season.

When asked about Glenn yesterday, Warriors CEO Wayne Scurrah said: "We have had some challenges to deal with but it is not appropriate for me to comment further."

Chairman Bill Wavish would not discuss the issue either: "It's not my job to comment on the behaviour of Sir Owen," he said.

Sir Owen did not respond to a request for comment."

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=11237321

The Warriors' major sponsors have negotiated escape clauses should Sir Owen Glenn became a majority shareholder at the club, it emerged last night.

Vodafone and SkyCity are understood to have negotiated get-out clauses when they renewed their sponsorship deals with the Auckland NRL club.

Co-owner Eric Watson, speaking from Europe, told the Herald on Sunday he was doubtful whether the NRL would even sanction a sale to Glenn. "Some of our major sponsors have insisted that if I'm not the major shareholder, they have an opportunity to review their sponsorship," he said.

Several sponsors are understood to have been upset by comments made by Glenn at a club function last year.

A source said: "There was a situation at a sponsors function and Owen got up and in a joking way he kind of 'dissed' the sponsors for different things. It went down badly."

A third sponsor had also expressed doubts last week about renewing their sponsorship while Glenn was a shareholder, a source said.

Last night Glenn told the Herald on Sunday he was unaware of any such clause. He did not respond to questions about his relationship with club sponsors.

It's understood Glenn's involvement in the club and the past week's controversies have been raised in recent sponsorship contract talks.

Chief executive Wayne Scurrah, who yesterday said he would quit the club should the team fail to make the finals this year, indicated Watson's continuing ownership was crucial to financial stability at the club.

"There would be substantial financial impact if Eric wasn't the majority shareholder. There are some specific clauses relating to Eric's involvement in the club."

A Vodafone spokeswoman said they did not discuss the terms of their sponsorship deal.

"Vodafone leaves the running of the Vodafone Warriors to the club's management, board and owners," said the spokeswoman.

"We're focused on supporting the club on the field and getting our customers closer to the action - whether at the game or at home, through our engagement initiatives."

The NRL put out a statement yesterday supporting the management of the Warriors, saying they were in regular contact with Scurrah and chairman Bill Wavish.

"The Warriors are in the best position to administer its internal operations," NRL chief executive Dave Smith said.

Around 21,000 tickets had been sold for today's clash against the Bulldogs at Eden Park."

Confirms some of my own suspicions about Glenn.

Last edited:
So, it is becoming clear which shareholder is trying to damage who. It appears there will now be a constant stream of shocking stories from the past that never came out about Owen. Eric, your making yourself look foolish and immature. If you were genuine, you would take the high-road and negotiate a purchase.

Sell 1 share to the fans, and give Owen the majority share, if you are confident that fan will stand by you.

Reactions: Mr Frank White

Inruin

Contributor
So, it is becoming clear which shareholder is trying to damage who. It appears there will now be a constant stream of shocking stories from the past that never came out about Owen. Eric, your making yourself look foolish and immature. If you were genuine, you would take the high-road and negotiate a purchase.

Sell 1 share to the fans, and give Owen the majority share, if you are confident that fan will stand by you.
I'll take it and I'm with Watson.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9936026/NZ-Warriors-go-on-the-front-foot-for-their-fans

NZ Warriors go on the front foot for their fans

Eric Watson won't rule out offering Warriors members a share of their club as a solution to his damaging partnership battle with Sir Owen Glenn.

Watson and Glenn remain at odds after a messy week of public mudslinging following the sacking of coach Matthew Elliott.

In attempt to regain some lost ground yesterday, the Warriors went on the front foot by re-signing captain Simon Mannering, offering up their chief executive's head if they fail to make this season's National Rugby League play-offs, making noises about selling shares to club members and attempting to pacify upset fans by saying they want to stay at Mt Smart Stadium.

The ownership remains the hot topic and Watson, in a lengthy interview with Fairfax Media, said he was committed to buying out Glenn's half share, bought for over $6m.

He also hinted at being open to selling shares to the 9000-plus Warriors club members.

"We have a lot of members and they are the people we owe the first duty to in many ways," he said.

"Would they like to have a financial involvement in the club? Look, if that made sense, well, the Broncos are publicly listed. I'd have no problem with that at all if that made sense. Whatever is best for the Warriors."

Watson was happy to have an independent valuation after Glenn had earlier accused him of trying to buy it back cheaply.

"My view is that we would get two or three valuers to value it and then we'd take an average of those valuations," he said.

Watson admitted it could take some time for him and Glenn to sort out the shareholding.

"It could take forever . . . but quite frankly, it doesn't matter. The club is properly governed."

Watson also conceded Warriors fans were not happy with games being moved to Eden Park.

"My vision is that we have a stadium with 20,000 or 30,000 members at Mt Smart - where we ideally want to be, even if the council can't get its act together - but Eden Park is not Mt Smart. The members have told us they want Mt Smart and we understand that. We need to toughen up as an organisation, and we need to be seen to be tough. We need to be seen to be accountable.

Watson was firmly trying to portray the club as not being in crisis and attempted to deflect fan anger against chief executive Wayne Scurrah - accused of presiding over a parade of vanquished coaches.

"What we want and what we've always had until now is a very functional organisation," he asserted in a long interview with the Sunday Star-Times "The NRL will tell you that this is one of their top three governed clubs without a doubt. We are better run than the majority of NRL clubs.

"It's nonsense to say the club's in disarray. It's far from in disarray. It's incredibly sound. It's financially stable but we have a rogue shareholder, which has been damaging. You don't see Russell Crowe in the newspaper abusing his club and what they are doing because he wants to sell his shares.

"This just needs to be put to one side. The business is well governed, has a board with independent directors, and will continue to flourish. Despite the fact that people think otherwise, the Warriors are flourishing. That will continue irrespective of the poor behaviour of one of the shareholders.

"The job now is to try and get past that and make sure the members, the fans and the media understand that this business will go on. It does have a new coach. Shocking news, isn't it? Wow, an NRL team changed its coach because it thought it had a better one."

Watson confirmed Mannering's contract had been extended for four years and said the skipper's decision was a vote of confidence in the club's future.

"Simon had many options and with the money in the NRL increasing significantly of late, players like Simon can command large contracts with any team in Australasia. Simon could have waited and thought about what he wanted to do. Or he could step up now and support his new coach and take any doubt out of the system. Doubt is weakness. I believe we will be able to say that Simon's made the right decision."

He also revealed Scurrah had offered his resignation last year but he had not accepted it. Scurrah had made the same offer if the Warriors failed to make this year's top eight finals, only this time Watson said he would accept it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hitman82
I would definitely buy shares in the club.
I obviously do not think they would be high yielding - but TV rights are only going to gain more money and the population base is only going to get larger. The shares would be unlikely to lose value you would think.
It would be good to have voting rights on some issues too

We were certainly flourishing against the Sharkies.

Whatever the back office problems I wish all these jerks would identify the inconsistency with the team is the biggest problem and the frustration it brings to us fans. FM, it's been obvious to everyone since 1995 and here we are still without a solution.

We all have our theories and culprits but it seems year after year all the club seems to do is reinvent ways to piss us fans off. Whether that's on the paddock or in the sales office, there has never been, despite the rhetoric, a combined concentrated effort by the club to build an effective relationship with the fans nor even attempt to build a NZ franchise powerhouse.

Everyone involved in this club should never ever forget, without us, they are nothing.

end of rant, time to pull on the shirt and line up for a rollercoaster ticket

For me the resigning of Mannering, on the balance of probabilities,puts to bed the "player power" problem, if in fact, it ever existed.
Player power would manifest itself in only two ways.Firstly off the field in the form of insolence and insubordination directed at the coaching staff and secondly on the field in the form of players playing with less than required effort or commitment.People will get on the forum and say the player power could exist without it being noticed by coaching staff.What I say to that is if that is the case it either doesn't exist or it is not a problem because it's existence is not obviously manifesting itself therefore it probably doesn't exist.Bit of a chicken and egg argument but I hope you see my point.
If it is there sure as hell the Coaching staff will know of it.
Either way if it does exist and he is part of it you don't then reward Mannering by giving him a four year deal.That would be too dumb for words.
Speaking of Mannering yesterday these forums were chock full of posts from people who had a mate who had cousin that told them that Mannering was:
-not re-signing and was going to-
- Union
- Nelson
- Wellington
- home
- France
- Japan
- England
- Penrith
-walkabout
-mental
-punch Scurrah in the face
-root some Aussie chick at the hotel .

The only thing that did happen was he signed a new four year deal.
Life is easier when you only look at the facts.
Fact:There is and probably never was a player power problem at the Warriors,more likely the problem was a coaching/management one.

Reactions: Nahz and snake77
For me the resigning of Mannering, on the balance of probabilities,puts to bed the "player power" problem, if in fact, it ever existed.
Player power would manifest itself in only two ways.Firstly off the field in the form of insolence and insubordination directed at the coaching staff and secondly on the field in the form of players playing with less than required effort or commitment.People will get on the forum and say the player power could exist without it being noticed by coaching staff.What I say to that is if that is the case it either doesn't exist or it is not a problem because it's existence is not obviously manifesting itself therefore it probably doesn't exist.Bit of a chicken and egg argument but I hope you see my point.
If it is there sure as hell the Coaching staff will know of it.
Either way if it does exist and he is part of it you don't then reward Mannering by giving him a four year deal.That would be too dumb for words.
Speaking of Mannering yesterday these forums were chock full of posts from people who had a mate who had cousin that told them that Mannering was:
-not re-signing and was going to-
- Union
- Nelson
- Wellington
- home
- France
- Japan
- England
- Penrith
-walkabout
-mental
-punch Scurrah in the face
-root some Aussie chick at the hotel .

The only thing that did happen was he signed a new four year deal.
Life is easier when you only look at the facts.
Fact:There is and probably never was a player power problem at the Warriors,more likely the problem was a coaching/management one.
Your logic is quite unusual. You say if there was a player power issue, the coach would know and onfield performance would show it. The coach was just dumped after a shocking performance. My logic would use those 2 things as proof of player power, as opposed to proof against it.

Reactions: mcdenda

matiunz

This year yet?
Contributor
Really wish the owners would sort this its far too public, personally support Watson but hes not doing any favours with his character assassination of Glenn (making it public).

Inruin

Contributor
It would be an ironic parting shot from Scurrah to resign after leaving us with that hack.
you mean that 4 time premiership winning, world cup winning, current kangaroo coach hack? Funny, but you were satisfied with Bluey, Iro, Elliott, McFadden?

Jordan G

you mean that 4 time premiership winning, world cup winning, current kangaroo coach hack? Funny, but you were satisfied with Bluey, Iro, Elliott, McFadden?

Bluey no, Iro no, Elliot no.

McFadden, who knows, but casting him aside after one game is ridiculous.

4 premierships. 3 of them in the 1990's. In 2005 it was lightning in a bottle. Benji and Farah were killing it. That was 10 years ago. The game has passed him by and that's what makes him a hack. Being Kangaroos coach. lol. Yeah, he took a bunch of no name kids from the wrong side of the tracks to world champions. Quick, sign him up.

Sheens would be a massive backward step. Great coach in his time, but it's no longer his time.

Inruin

Contributor
Bluey no, Iro no, Elliot no.

McFadden, who knows, but casting him aside after one game is ridiculous.

4 premierships. 3 of them in the 1990's. In 2005 it was lightning in a bottle. Benji and Farah were killing it. That was 10 years ago. The game has passed him by and that's what makes him a hack. Being Kangaroos coach. lol. Yeah, he took a bunch of no name kids from the wrong side of the tracks to world champions. Quick, sign him up.

Sheens would be a massive backward step. Great coach in his time, but it's no longer his time.
who said one game? Sheens for 2015. Actually having a multi premiership winning coach in charge of our team is a huge step forward from what we have had previously