Internationals 2014 Anzac test

Wow, just Wow.

People supporting NZ have gotten so used to losing that you are holding up a loss as the greatest game in 20 years? That game went exactly to script. The Kiwis put up a good fight then rolled over in the last 20 mins and let the Australian side put on a respectable winning margin. There wasnt one part of that game that surprised me, looked like so many of the international games against Australia over the years. They always play soft at the start and end up so much better than NZ in the last 20 mins.

Some
individual good performances, yep there always is. But anyone thinking that when they clean out the dinosaurs (who won) and blood all the young bucks that NZ will romp in, your deceiving your self. Australia has so much depth in every position.

I'm sorry if im raining on your parade but NZ didnt win and any thing else is
unacceptable. You might as well be supporting Argentina at the world cup if all you want is good individual performance.

Realism bro.

We should have got stomped by that star studded Australian line up.

Talking wanting better structures from a team with Tohu Harris at stand off and Ben Henry at Hooker is a nonsense.

All you can realistically expect on a good day is a contest.

We led at half time.

That should be impossible.

macker

Watching Cam Smith tearing strips off his team during the first half really highlighted the major advantage Caucasians have over Polynesians (in all forms of business in general) IMO.

Here we have a small man, 85 kegs, swearing at and instructing harshly, some colossal humans. Stick in the fucken structures and run straight at the fucken line (or words to that effect).

Is it just me or do Polynesians have a 'Might is Right' mentality (if your bigger you win the argument), while Caucasians have a higher respect for the best thinkers among us (which Cam Smith certainly is when it comes to footy)?

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
Watching Cam Smith tearing strips off his team during the first half really highlighted the major advantage Caucasians have over Polynesians (in all forms of business in general) IMO.

Here we have a small man, 85 kegs, swearing at and instructing harshly, some colossal humans. Stick in the fucken structures and run straight at the fucken line (or words to that effect).

Is it just me or do Polynesians have a 'Might is Right' mentality (if your bigger you win the argument), while Caucasians have a higher respect for the best thinkers among us (which Cam Smith certainly is when it comes to footy)?
Did it work for Cameron Smith? Im sure they lost? And whats the relevance of your post anyway? Our captain is caucasian...

macker

Did it work for Cameron Smith? Im sure they lost? And whats the relevance of your post anyway? Our captain is caucasian...
He's also big and doesn't say a heck of a lot.

Maybe we'd be better off with someone who is small of stature but big in the brains department?

Works for the Aussies.

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
He's also big and doesn't say a heck of a lot.

Maybe we'd be better off with someone who is small of stature but big in the brains department?

Works for the Aussies.

Maybe you should have kept this as your argument and left out the race issue.

Most big guys probably do get their way to often as they are used to using their size to "encourage" their view of the argument, even if its just a louder voice. But being bigger doesnt make you dumber, just like being smaller doesnt make you smarter. Most smaller people i know are probably a bit more canny due to having to watch out for the larger guys, but again this doesnt make them the best people to listen to all the time, just means they are good at slipping through a hole when one presents itself. The trick in all things is find the smart one and get him to lead the team to best result.

macker

Maybe you should have kept this as your argument and left out the race issue.

Most big guys probably do get their way to often as they are used to using their size to "encourage" their view of the argument, even if its just a louder voice. But being bigger doesnt make you dumber, just like being smaller doesnt make you smarter. Most smaller people i know are probably a bit more canny due to having to watch out for the larger guys, but again this doesnt make them the best people to listen to all the time, just means they are good at slipping through a hole when one presents itself. The trick in all things is find the smart one and get him to lead the team to best result.
Sorry about the comparison to anyone who is upset.

And yes we need more brains at work in our team. I know we have brains in the team, but we just need to get them working.:yuck:

. I know we have brains in the team,
Not a hell of a lot though. Epic problem with NZ league players... we're either big bastards who are used to smashing their way through problems, or freak talents who do things without thinking.

Brains would be nice. Someone with the brains to develop brains in NZ league would be nice. Sadly however, brains don't make highlight reels and don't look cool or sexy, so I'm not expecting regular intelligent play from kiwis nor warriors for a while yet.

mt.wellington

Warriors Orange Peeler
We’re sorry for failing to take you seriously, New Zealand
1 DAY AGO MAY 03, 2014 8:00AM
external

The current crop of Kangaroos will go down as one of the world's greatest Test teams after recovering from a six point deficit to beat New Zealand 30-18.
THAT was supposed to be easier.

Leading up to tonight’s Test between Australia and New Zealand, the Kiwis were treated like some sort of joke.

Coach Stephen Kearney had filled his squad with rookies, cutting all but five members of the team from last year’s World Cup final. One of Kearney’s picks, hooker Siliva Havili, had played less than 80 minutes in the NRL.

927638-735bf000-d1e8-11e3-ae84-eacdfc097015.jpg

New Zealand had a better night than anyone anticipated. Source: Getty Images

They were written off, ridiculed and labelled the weakest Kiwi side in recent history. By kick-off, some betting agencies had installed Australia as a $1.08 favourite, and even those odds didn’t feel short enough.

Yes, New Zealand did lose in the end. But it was much closer than anyone predicted.

The Kiwis played with more verve and determination than Australia in the first half, building a six point lead at the break. They were still in the game with less than 10 minutes to go.

Some players stood out more than others. For example, 23-year-old halfback Shaun Johnson had to run practically everything in attack, with no experienced five eighth alongside him.

Halfbacks are the rock stars of the NRL. They get all the plaudits. You can’t watch a rugby league show for more than 20 minutes without seeing some pundit take himself to the brink of asphyxia in his keenness to praise Johnathan Thurston, Daly Cherry-Evans or Cooper Cronk.

Johnson never gets mentioned in those monologues. He’s the circus freak, the kid with some flashy tricks who could be great, one day, sometime in the future.

927299-7afe2008-d1e8-11e3-ae84-eacdfc097015.jpg

Peta Hiku was dangerous from the back. Source: Getty Images

OK, Johnson isn’t the most consistent of halfbacks, but his performance tonight was potent and mature. For someone who never gets to work behind the forward pack of Queensland or Australia, he makes one heck of an impact.

That’s a perfect metaphor for the rest of New Zealand’s team tonight. Sam Moa, who easily filled the gap left in their forward pack by Jared Waerea-Hargreaves. Peta Hiku, who made a few errors but looked dangerous all night.

These guys are overshadowed every week by the star players at their clubs, but they keep toiling away, and they should be respected for that. In fact, they should be given more black and white jerseys.

So I’m sorry, New Zealand. You might have been a ragtag bunch of rookies, but you almost beat a team full of superstars, and there’s nothing Australians respect more than an underdog who won’t go away. We can’t wait to see you in action again.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/w...usly-new-zealand/story-fndujljl-1226903927720

gREVUS

Long live the Rainbows and Butterflies
Contributor
Realism bro.

We should have got stomped by that star studded Australian line up.

Talking wanting better structures from a team with Tohu Harris at stand off and Ben Henry at Hooker is a nonsense.

All you can realistically expect on a good day is a contest.

We led at half time.

That should be impossible.

if realism means accepting defeat as acceptable then i want to stay in fantasy land. Could someone pls call Mr Roarke and book the sea plane, tell Tattoo ill see him soon
mr Roarke.jpg

We’re sorry for failing to take you seriously, New Zealand

So I’m sorry, New Zealand. You might have been a ragtag bunch of rookies, but you almost beat a team full of superstars, and there’s nothing Australians respect more than an underdog who won’t go away. We can’t wait to see you in action again.

https://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/w...usly-new-zealand/story-fndujljl-1226903927720

Funny how that article says, "I'm sorry, New Zealand", without there actually being a name attributed to it...

• Haha
Reactions: Sup42
The question is, would the Kiwi team have dug as deep as they did and made the game such a contest if not for the fact they were shit on in the media by all and sundry? It's an interesting one and I do think that a lot of the pre-game talk was merited, in spite of the result.

Great game, one of the best Anzac tests I remember. Only downside was the lack of biff :pompus:

Sorry about the comparison to anyone who is upset.

And yes we need more brains at work in our team. I know we have brains in the team, but we just need to get them working.:yuck:

Maybe an assertive training session or two is in order...I think we have brains in the team, if not 17, then more than enough to win, maybe just if those brains had bigger mouths...

that game was awesome
they were just missing another playmaker and a strike weapon second rower
they could of won that game if not for the last 15 minute fade out

could of won that game if not for the last 15 minute fade out

Sadly, when you're up against a team as dominant as the Aussie league team, that final 15/20 min fade out is damn near inevitable for anyone who plays them. It's like the Auckland rugby team of the 80s - didn't matter how damned well their opposition would play, in the final quarter of the match, there was nearly always a blowout. If the opposition were good it'd only be a 10-20 point loss, anyone else, they'd pile on 30-40 points in the second half.
One of the key features of great teams is how they absorb pressure and respond to adversity or tough situations. Sadly, when you look at how we handle that sort of pressure ourselves, we only do it against minor teams (ie everyone else that's not Aussie or England).

macker

Maybe an assertive training session or two is in order...I think we have brains in the team, if not 17, then more than enough to win, maybe just if those brains had bigger mouths...
I think it's safe to say that the smaller an NRL player is the bigger their brain needs to be. Otherwise they are just small and stupid, which isn't going to gain any competitive advantage for the team.

So Tomkins is the smallest, followed by TL, Chad, Friend and Johnson. These guys need to do all the thinking for the team. And they need to have the biggest voices on the field. IMO.