Sports Auckland 2024 A-League Team

Some quotes from Bill Foley on ZB.

When asked about facilities:
“Our goal of course is to build our own stadium, and maybe in partnership with another professional sports team. Build a stadium somewhere in the wharf area”

When asked about how confident he is, given the issues with getting stuff done in Auckland:
“I believe we can get it done, it’s going to take time, it’s going to take money, it’s going to take help from the council, but I believe we can get it done, and couple individuals have spent a lot of time and done a lot of work on it-
I am convinced we can get something done fairly expeditiously”

When asked about timeline:
“I’ve got an unrealistic timeline that would be really quick but I don’t think that ones going to happen, but I think within 3 or 4 years we’ll have a stadium, we’ll have it done, we’ll have it put together and we’ll be under construction”

When asked about capacity:
“Around 20 thousand, 18.5 thousand, I think that is kind of the strike zone. Nothing big that people get lost, but the right size that we can fill it every game-
It will not have a roof but it will have cover, the roof adds so much money it’s just impossible”

Last edited:
I seen this story on the news and they were criticizing as he isn't putting in a woman's team till the year after the men start.
He made sence with what he said but still the media trying to create a conflict where there isn't one.
Woke media. This agenda is why NZ is such a negative place.

This is the best thing EVER for soccer in NZ. This guy will make it work. He has the cash, experience and track record. We will be a feeder club from Bournemouth with a trail of superstars coming through.

He will invest in the stadiums, user experience and this could run off in unexpected ways eg sky could get things like spider cams that they also use for the Warriors; perhaps sports bars and restaurants around the ground that fans of both codes use.

Is there a link between Foley and Robinson?

Foley seems to have been working behind the scenes on this for a while and Robinson mirrored Foleys confidence about a water front stadium a while ago that on his own didn’t make sense until Foley comes into it.

It’s also tied in with our games day experience getting super, marketing, recruitment, etc getting super professional.

It would be interesting how much mentoring or just input Foley and his team have had perhaps trial different ideas through the Warriors? Win/ win for both codes.

New Auckland A-Leagues expansion team appoint Terry McFlynn Director of Football

The new Auckland A-Leagues expansion team have appointed Terry McFlynn as their Director of Football, the first step in building its inaugural 2024/25 Isuzu A-Leagues Men’s squad.

McFlynn will oversee the club’s player and coach recruitment for the Men’s, Women’s, Academy teams, football operations and sports science.

Originally from Northern Ireland, McFlynn started his football journey as a youth player at Queens Park Rangers in the English top division.

He joined Sydney FC in 2005 and played 214 times across all competitions. He retired from football in 2014 having captained Sydney FC for four seasons, won two Premierships and one Championship.

Post retirement, McFlynn stayed at Sydney FC as part of the football department.

In 2016 he was appointed General Manager of Football and oversaw one of the club’s most successful periods on the pitch, winning two A-League Championships, an Australian Cup and negotiated the club’s highest ever player transfer fee.

He departed Sydney FC in 2019, ending fourteen successful years as a player and GM of Football at the club.

Prior to joining AKL Football 24, McFlynn acted as a FIFA licensed player and coach agent based in Perth. He has a UEFA A License and a Masters of Coach Education from Sydney University.

AKL Football 24 owner, Bill Foley, said:

“Terry really impressed us from the first time we spoke to him. His knowledge of the A-Leagues players in New Zealand and Australia and his passion for developing youth players really shone through.

“Over the past few weeks, I’ve talked with Terry about how we can develop a club that not only challenges on the pitch, but also creates a pathway for young players to succeed both locally and through our multi-club ownership in the European leagues.

“He wants to play an exciting style of football that the fans will love, and we are confident he will build a team that will bring us success.”

AKL Football 24 Director of Football, Terry McFlynn, said:

“Until now, Auckland was the largest city in Oceania that didn’t have a professional football team. We are proud and humbled to be given the opportunity to build a team for all of Auckland.

“We are going to start by embedding ourselves in the local football community in Auckland and as we build the Men’s team for the 2024/25 season, we will take everyone along with us on the journey.

“Our plan is to play a high energy, attacking style of football that entertains our fans and challenges for silverware.

“This is just the start of a very exciting chapter for football in Auckland and I can’t wait for the first match in October 2024.”

AKL Football 24 was announced as an A Leagues expansion team November 21, with the official name to be announced.

It is the latest organisation in Foley’s growing sports portfolio, which also includes AFC Bournemouth in the Premier League and a significant investment in FC Lorient of France’s Ligue 1.

Foley’s first sports endeavour, the National Hockey League’s Vegas Golden Knights, captured the Stanley Cup in 2023 in their sixth season.

New Auckland A-Leagues expansion team appoint Terry McFlynn Director of Football

The new Auckland A-Leagues expansion team have appointed Terry McFlynn as their Director of Football, the first step in building its inaugural 2024/25 Isuzu A-Leagues Men’s squad.

McFlynn will oversee the club’s player and coach recruitment for the Men’s, Women’s, Academy teams, football operations and sports science.

Originally from Northern Ireland, McFlynn started his football journey as a youth player at Queens Park Rangers in the English top division.

He joined Sydney FC in 2005 and played 214 times across all competitions. He retired from football in 2014 having captained Sydney FC for four seasons, won two Premierships and one Championship.

Post retirement, McFlynn stayed at Sydney FC as part of the football department.

In 2016 he was appointed General Manager of Football and oversaw one of the club’s most successful periods on the pitch, winning two A-League Championships, an Australian Cup and negotiated the club’s highest ever player transfer fee.

He departed Sydney FC in 2019, ending fourteen successful years as a player and GM of Football at the club.

Prior to joining AKL Football 24, McFlynn acted as a FIFA licensed player and coach agent based in Perth. He has a UEFA A License and a Masters of Coach Education from Sydney University.

AKL Football 24 owner, Bill Foley, said:

“Terry really impressed us from the first time we spoke to him. His knowledge of the A-Leagues players in New Zealand and Australia and his passion for developing youth players really shone through.

“Over the past few weeks, I’ve talked with Terry about how we can develop a club that not only challenges on the pitch, but also creates a pathway for young players to succeed both locally and through our multi-club ownership in the European leagues.

“He wants to play an exciting style of football that the fans will love, and we are confident he will build a team that will bring us success.”

AKL Football 24 Director of Football, Terry McFlynn, said:

“Until now, Auckland was the largest city in Oceania that didn’t have a professional football team. We are proud and humbled to be given the opportunity to build a team for all of Auckland.

“We are going to start by embedding ourselves in the local football community in Auckland and as we build the Men’s team for the 2024/25 season, we will take everyone along with us on the journey.

“Our plan is to play a high energy, attacking style of football that entertains our fans and challenges for silverware.

“This is just the start of a very exciting chapter for football in Auckland and I can’t wait for the first match in October 2024.”

AKL Football 24 was announced as an A Leagues expansion team November 21, with the official name to be announced.

It is the latest organisation in Foley’s growing sports portfolio, which also includes AFC Bournemouth in the Premier League and a significant investment in FC Lorient of France’s Ligue 1.

Foley’s first sports endeavour, the National Hockey League’s Vegas Golden Knights, captured the Stanley Cup in 2023 in their sixth season.

Shit they’re not mucking around are they- you would have to imagine that franchise is going to be a success?

Some quotes from Bill Foley on ZB.

When asked about facilities:
“Our goal of course is to build our own stadium, and maybe in partnership with another professional sports team. Build a stadium somewhere in the wharf area”

When asked about how confident he is, given the issues with getting stuff done in Auckland:
“I believe we can get it done, it’s going to take time, it’s going to take money, it’s going to take help from the council, but I believe we can get it done, and couple individuals have spent a lot of time and done a lot of work on it-
I am convinced we can get something done fairly expeditiously”

When asked about timeline:
“I’ve got an unrealistic timeline that would be really quick but I don’t think that ones going to happen, but I think within 3 or 4 years we’ll have a stadium, we’ll have it done, we’ll have it put together and we’ll be under construction”

When asked about capacity:
“Around 20 thousand, 18.5 thousand, I think that is kind of the strike zone. Nothing big that people get lost, but the right size that we can fill it every game-
It will not have a roof but it will have cover, the roof adds so much money it’s just impossible”
Maybe for soccer that number will suffice. But for Warriors and Blues games we need 30k.

What's the fan base going to be like?

I already support the Phoenix, been to many games. Why would I support them over Nix?

Same question for a second NZ NRL team. Who would jump off the Wahgon?

What's the fan base going to be like?

I already support the Phoenix, been to many games. Why would I support them over Nix?

Same question for a second NZ NRL team. Who would jump off the Wahgon?
I suppose a lot of kiwis will put aside tribalism and support any NZ team playing aussies, second nrl franchise will be my backup team to bandwagon when the wahs suck. Good question though, the new soccer team is bound to cannibalise some Nix fans, probably the same with Warriors.

Wow….this is awesome. Not a massive soccer fan but I do appreciate it, it’s not an easy game…and can be very boring to watch. Although its one thing passing the ball accurately with your hands but try doing it with your feet & running up to 10kms per game and some of those goals they score are a thing of beauty at times. I’ll probably end up following them regardless being a life long Aucklander. Mind you I don’t care about The Blues so maybe I prefer soccer over Union…..this guy is a heavy hitter, can see them being a real powerhouse in A-League. Massive news.

Last edited:

Auckland FC: Former All Black Ali Williams and partner Anna Mowbray co-investors in A-League franchise​

By Michael Burgess
14 Mar, 2024 07:41 PM5 mins to read

Although the Auckland A-League team have yet to kick a ball, they seem to be doing everything right on their accelerated start up journey.

A classic name. A traditional kit. A new supporters pub. And a pair of local celebrity investors.

Former All Black Ali Williams and toy company magnate Anna Mowbray were unveiled as co-owners at Thursday’s launch, where the name – Auckland FC – badge and home uniform were revealed. Williams and Mowbray have joined up with American billionaire Bill Foley and will be directors on the board.

While it was a surprise, the move hasn’t come from nowhere, as the Auckland power couple had been linked with a bid for the A-League franchise last year, before deciding that the time wasn’t right. But they began talks with Foley after he was confirmed as the licence holder last November, with their involvement formalised earlier this year.

Mowbray, who was a co-founder of the Zuru toy empire and has since started several other businesses, said there were multiple motivations.

“I grew up playing football,” Mowbray told the Herald. “Ali grew up playing football and we have got five kids, all who play. They love the sport, obsessed with the sport and it has really ignited a passion for Ali and I.

“This is about bringing a team to one of largest cities in the world that doesn’t have a football team and figuring out how to do that in a way that also allows for an individual to be propelled into a global sphere.”

Williams said it was a “no brainer” to work together with Foley, who was a “brilliant partner”.

“I don’t think Auckland knows how lucky they are to have a man like that come into the sporting world and the community of Auckland and give the boost that it needs,” said Williams.

Auckland FC chief executive Nick Becker confirmed that talks with the pair had been ongoing for a “long time” and said they would add a lot to the picture.

Chief executive Nick Becker and coach Steve Corica. Photo / Photosport
Chief executive Nick Becker and coach Steve Corica. Photo / Photosport
”The breadth of experience they have across sport and business, along with the contacts that they have here in Auckland is second to none,” said Becker.
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/mi...and-a-league-team/QHSAYOM535EKRAPKB26DPZCXPY/
He described them as “super passionate” and said they will be involved in strategy and governance.

Settling on the right name had been a thorough process, with a number of options discussed before being whittled down to a shortlist.

Becker described Auckland FC as classic, simple and respectful of football heritage, which was the ultimate goal.

The club will also carry the moniker of the Black Knights, which is a nod to the West Point military background of Foley. Foley – who has stakes in several other clubs, including English Premier League outfit AFC Bournemouth – felt it was a perfect fit.

“The Black Knights always persevere, always advance, never retreat,” said Foley in a video message. “The Knight is the epitome of the working class and that is what they are going to be in Auckland.”

The unusual name certainly won’t please everyone – but having it as the nickname means it is not front and centre and potential fans can engage with it as they want. It will be polarising, partly because of the memories of the New Zealand Knights, the last Auckland A-League team who survived two forgettable seasons before folding in 2007.

But it was always going to feature somehow, as Foley had made clear about his strong preference.The hope is that it becomes associated with the club – like Arsenal and the Gunners, or Manchester United and the Red Devils – even if it is a slow burn.

The home shirt is electric blue and black, with similarities to Serie A club Inter Milan. Becker said they wanted a modern take on the traditional royal blue of Auckland, while the black was a connection to the Black Knights along with elite national teams here.

The new Auckland FC playing shirt. Photo / Photosport
The new Auckland FC playing shirt. Photo / Photosport
The launch took place at the Foley-owned Chamberlain pub in downtown Auckland, which will be refurbished to become the official supporters bar of the team.

”I think we will be the only A-League team with a home pub,” said Becker. “Hopefully we can all celebrate wins, drinking Foley wine.”

He added that everything was on track, though they still need to recruit most of the staff, while player signings were ongoing.

Head coach Steve Corica told the Herald that nine players have been signed, with seven Kiwis and two Australians. That is believed to include several current or former All Whites, with ongoing discussion with more national representatives.

Corica and director of football Terry McFlynn will head to Cairo later this week, with the All Whites to play two matches in the Egyptian capital in the W Cup tournament.

Corica has yet to confirm his staff. Former All Whites coach Danny Hay has been mooted as a possible assistant, though Corica said that discussions were confirming with a number of candidates.

There is so much more work to do but Becker is optimistic.

“Auckland has never been so ready for an elite football club,” said Becker. “We are building a club that will be New Zealand’s No 1 football club. We want to entertain people on the pitch with an attacking brand of football and off the pitch with a new matchday experience.”

I like the kit.
nz needs people like this owner to bring opportunities if he helps build a waterfront stadium great .
The kit is good, soccer jerseys are hot property for Millennials & Gen Zs too whether they like soccer or not so they should sell plenty of them and the logo and colour way are on……I like it, it’s understated, the peak being a nod to Rangitoto and The Sky Tower.

It's crazy eh. I went to school camp a few weeks ago and at least 1/3 were wearing football merch. PSG, La Liga, EPL clubs. Barely any kids were wearing super rugby / AB jerseys. Maybe 5-10% max
Hard, youth culture is buzzy….Im Gen X and always kept up with youth culture, I think all the big time rappers kicked it off late last decade as a point of difference and it caught on. It’s actually pretty cool. My 23yr old son played Union & League all his life and is a die hard League & Wahs fan like me but wears football jerseys instead. Oh he’s a Chelsea fan too 🙄

Back