Social A Weighty Issue

Before I get accused of trying to “groom” anyone, is there anyone in South/East Auckland interested in joining up once a week at 5.30am in Barry Curtis Park, Flat Bush to have a walk for mental health/fitness/weight loss. Nothing over vigorous and the track through the park is around 2 km so you can go as long as you want…. but I’m not carrying anyone back to their car if they breakdown.

Start a list here or PM me if interested.
Can a bring a six pack of stubbies??

Thanks for sharing. Very good message, particularly around getting regular checks. My gp now has a historical record of all the key tests and results. Really interesting (to me anyway) to see changes in levels like cholesterol over time. I treat myself to a gp appointment every year around my birthday and ask for the full spectrum of blood tests, blood pressure, weight.
That's literally how it was picked up. Otherwise I would just gave carried on, like you I guess, just less fit.

How old are you if you don't mind me asking?

please keep us updated on your progress.
just turned 41.

Hey Guy's, first time on this thread and never thought i would be commenting here coz i'm a very small guy. I am 164cm and weighed 68 kgs. Went to the doctor in early january to test for prostate cancer, because i hadn't been to the doctor since 2011 (never needed to coz i very rarely get sick) he sent the blood test off and ordered the full spectrum of test's. My prostate cam back fine but i had very high cholesterol, 7.9. He took my blood pressure and that was high as well 176 over 104, he tested me standing up which gives a higher reading but that's still high. I was sent to get a ct scan to see if i had any blockages in the arteries. It came back that i had a high grade blockage in my Left Anterior Descending artery. So i was then sent for an Angiogram to see if i needed a stent or not, turned out i had a 90% blockage so they put a stent in there and then. All this was a real shock to because as i said i'm a small guy, i go to the gym 5 days a week after i have done my workout i run 3 kms on the treadmill. 6 months ago i run in the city to surf which is a 14km fun run here in Sydney. I thought i was healthy, how wrong i was. Since learning this i have changed my diet and i'm now down to 66kgs, my blood pressure has come down thanks to the pills i'm now on. i can oniy walk on the treadmill for the next month until i get permission from the cardiologist to get back into lifting weights and running again. I'm writing this coz i just want to share this with you guys that seemingly fit people can still have problems health wise and we shouldn't take it for granted that coz we aren't showing any symptoms of being unwell that we don't need to go have a check up every now and again. If i had found out about this earlier i could have done something about and not get to the stage where i could have had a heart attack at any moment. It didn't sink in to me how serious it was until i had to explain it to my daughter and to see the look of concern on her face was heart braking for me.
good luck on your health journey guys. lets all be safe and well to watch the boys play in the GF this year.
Hey Scott

You sound like a pretty active guy, gym and all

Were you experiencing any symptoms or feeling absolutely fine? If I understand correctly you only knew about your internal issues from a checkup? Is that correct?

Interesting that you have abstained from red meat 🥩 I’m on a carnivore diet which is literally only protein / red meat and have yet to hear of anyone cutting back as a result of health problems. Actually it’s the opposite so intrigued by your experience

Hey Scott

You sound like a pretty active guy, gym and all

Were you experiencing any symptoms or feeling absolutely fine? If I understand correctly you only knew about your internal issues from a checkup? Is that correct?

Interesting that you have abstained from red meat 🥩 I’m on a carnivore diet which is literally only protein / red meat and have yet to hear of anyone cutting back as a result of health problems. Actually it’s the opposite so intrigued by your experience
Hey Hippo,
i never showed any signs at all, no shortage of breath, no chest pains, nothing. It was only when i went for a prostate check that i found out about the other stuff.

No-one told me to go off red meat that was just a decision i made coz i always had scotch fillet as a steak and they are high in fat so decided to cut them out. Obviously fried foods are no good for cholesterol so i cut out the burgers and chips.

I tried the carnivore diet once, i felt fine during the time i was on it, i just got bored of meat for every meal, i lasted a month then succumbed to the carbs.

Hey Hippo,
i never showed any signs at all, no shortage of breath, no chest pains, nothing. It was only when i went for a prostate check that i found out about the other stuff.

No-one told me to go off red meat that was just a decision i made coz i always had scotch fillet as a steak and they are high in fat so decided to cut them out. Obviously fried foods are no good for cholesterol so i cut out the burgers and chips.

I tried the carnivore diet once, i felt fine during the time i was on it, i just got bored of meat for every meal, i lasted a month then succumbed to the carbs.
I know you have said there were no signs but have you noticed any difference since the stent has gone in? Or everything just seems the same but you are more aware you need to look after yourself more

Absolutely no difference at all. But as you say, now i am aware of it i'm very conscious of the food i eat now. Apples break down cholesterol so now i'm eating 2 a day, never ate them before. Chicken salad for lunch, and healthy options for dinner mostly pasta and chicken.
Hopefully i get my levels down to a safe number soon. I'm just doing what i can to stay healthy at the moment

Absolutely no difference at all. But as you say, now i am aware of it i'm very conscious of the food i eat now. Apples break down cholesterol so now i'm eating 2 a day, never ate them before. Chicken salad for lunch, and healthy options for dinner mostly pasta and chicken.
Hopefully i get my levels down to a safe number soon. I'm just doing what i can to stay healthy at the moment

Hmmm

So had you no symptoms or problems whatsoever and would be no different now had you not done the checkup?

Sorry for the interrogation, but I’m trying process what this means - I only go to the doc when sick. Don’t think I have done a physical checkup - blood tests etc like forever

Feel totally fit and fine. Healthy basically but now I’m thinking I should get that oil check to make sure

Hmmm

So had you no symptoms or problems whatsoever and would be no different now had you not done the checkup?

Sorry for the interrogation, but I’m trying process what this means - I only go to the doc when sick. Don’t think I have done a physical checkup - blood tests etc like forever

Feel totally fit and fine. Healthy basically but now I’m thinking I should get that oil check to make sure
That's exactly how i felt. I hadn't been to the doctor since 2011, never had the need to. I felt 100% fit when he sent me for a ct scan i thought to myself "you are over-reacting there is nothing wrong with me" they found the high grade blockage so then it was the Angiogram. Again i thought they won't find anything too bad, they only put a stent in if its over 70% blocked. I was shocked when i found out i had a 90% blockage.

MY advice would be to get a check up, its harmless and if it comes back positive then all good, but if it comes back like mine then you will be thankful you went and caught it in time.

You have nothing to lose bro and everything to gain.

Hmmm

How old are you? I started at yearly check ups at 50. As mentioned, a record of your all your blood test results, heart rate, blood pressure etc is such an easy thing to establish and then cross reference each year for any change. Basic medical information for most disorders that can creep up on us.
Only involves a blood test and 15m visit to the doctor for blood pressure, listen to ticker etc.

How old are you? I started at yearly check ups at 50. As mentioned, a record of your all your blood test results, heart rate, blood pressure etc is such an easy thing to establish and then cross reference each year for any change. Basic medical information for most disorders that can creep up on us.
Only involves a blood test and 15m visit to the doctor for blood pressure, listen to ticker etc.
The big 41 this year

It sounds like I still have time 😆

Can a bring a pair of stubbies??
I guess if you must......

1708140298401.png

Back