Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
If they are doing productive jobs, even just doing jobs the councils or govt currently do, you could save money. Could be clearing bush for DOC; working for charities in food kitchens; extra set of hands as teacher aides in schools; etc. win/ win. And compliance would be minimal, don’t turn up don’t get paid 🤷‍♂️
Lel.

Cool so now you’ve distorted the work for hire market, the bush cutting businesses, hospitality workers. All for what? To penalise people so you can feel better.

The shallowness of the calculations always shows cost as a cover for punishments. Also again with the contradictions. You love claiming govts just waste, but then claim govt could run a labour hire company on top on administration and enforcement?!? Mate tell em they’re dreaming.

Next you have all the second order effects. What’s the school and health outcomes for kids with both parents committed this forced labour? How many generations to break the welfare cycle?

It might not be palatable but it’s the facts.

The book is one of the cornerstones of our society and therefore libraries are of the upmost importance. Just my thoughts as an avid reader of anything and everything.

One of my bucket list items, if it was at all possible to go back would be to wander through the Great Library of Alexandria.

We lose context on devices as well.

I’m in a jovial mood and others on here are taking everything so literally and seriously 🤣
I have no doubt that you mean well, search for answers, and come to valid conclusions at times Wiz. Always a catalyst for discussion and appreciate it.
I'd like to think I have the grace to admit when I'm wrong and others views either reinforce my understanding or challenge it.
Your input does that. Aoologies if I come across as disparaging anofher's view or opinion.
I enjoy the discourse and the arguments and while some might not be in tune with how I feel about everything, I appreciate and like to think I can learn more.
Politics is a minefield but we can agree to disagree amicably I hope & take tgat in the spirit intended.
Common ground e hoa, Up The Wahs!

I have no doubt that you mean well, search for answers, and come to valid conclusions at times Wiz. Always a catalyst for discussion and appreciate it.
I'd like to think I have the grace to admit when I'm wrong and others views either reinforce my understanding or challenge it.
Your input does that. Aoologies if I come across as disparaging anofher's view or opinion.
I enjoy the discourse and the arguments and while some might not be in tune with how I feel about everything, I appreciate and like to think I can learn more.
Politics is a minefield but we can agree to disagree amicably I hope & take tgat in the spirit intended.
Common ground e hoa, Up The Wahs!
Cheer ls mate. Honestly, I don’t take politics too seriously. None of us can change it much and it just makes you angry if you get too passionate.

I do push points and try to be thought provoking. Try to air a view that’s under represented in here and use a bit of hyperbole and exaggeration and push boundary’s about why we do things.

I try to be respectful and aim at the politics and not the person. But politics can sometimes seem like challenging our personal outlook on life if it aligns to the politics.

I actually appreciate the different views. It challenges my thinking, Im always looking for a new ways to do things. Some of the conversations on here make me change my outlook on certain situations.

As an analogy, I see right politics as like a strict, tough but fair parenting style. Left politics as an easy going parenting style. Different ways of doing things but at the end of the day we all want the same outcome but with different ways of getting there.

Peace all - up the wahs!

Cheer ls mate. Honestly, I don’t take politics too seriously. None of us can change it much and it just makes you angry if you get too passionate.

I do push points and try to be thought provoking. Try to air a view that’s under represented in here and use a bit of hyperbole and exaggeration and push boundary’s about why we do things.

I try to be respectful and aim at the politics and not the person. But politics can sometimes seem like challenging our personal outlook on life if it aligns to the politics.

I actually appreciate the different views. It challenges my thinking, Im always looking for a new ways to do things. Some of the conversations on here make me change my outlook on certain situations.

As an analogy, I see right politics as like a strict, tough but fair parenting style. Left politics as an easy going parenting style. Different ways of doing things but at the end of the day we all want the same outcome but with different ways of getting there.

Peace all - up the wahs!
Anyone seen the movies freedom writers?

It’s about a group of students from a rough neighbourhood that have a teacher that inspires them. Based on a true story, the kids were mainly black, poor, into gangs and the teachers at the school had given up on them… except a new graduate teacher.

It shows how the kids experience in life has shaped them and their outlook. With education and inspiration there outlook is changed by this teacher and they start to see the world differently.

Extrapolated, we all have different outlooks based on our experiences. What’s my normal could be foreign to the next person. What’s my solutions to problems could be abhorrent to the next person. How a lot of our outlook is beyond our control. Gives perspective.

It was a powerful story.

It’s about a group of students from a rough neighbourhood that have a teacher that inspires them. Based on a true story, the kids were mainly black, poor, into gangs and the teachers at the school had given up on them… except a new graduate teacher.

It shows how the kids experience in life has shaped them and their outlook. With education and inspiration there outlook is changed by this teacher and they start to see the world differently.

Extrapolated, we all have different outlooks based on our experiences. What’s my normal could be foreign to the next person. What’s my solutions to problems could be abhorrent to the next person. How a lot of our outlook is beyond our control. Gives perspective.

It was a powerful story.
wait, was the true story dangerous minds?
🫠

Last edited:

It was a powerful story.

Decent feel good story.

There are a bunch of em out there. Lean on me is entertaining.

My favorite out of those films is about Jaime Escalante, the computer sciences teacher that got forced to teach Maths to poor Hispanic kids because the school could not afford computers.

Escalante decides to teach the kids advanced maths (Calculus).

Of course when the kids succeed the Education Authority accuses them of cheating and nullifies their exam results.

My only criticism of the movie is that I am not a Lou Diamond Phillips fan.....

Opening the country up for sale - https://newsroom.co.nz/2024/01/26/plans-to-scale-back-ministers-powers-over-foreign-investment/

Removal of oversight - the refuge of the authoritarian

Attacking indigenous protections and rights makes sense when they want to sell off and pillage our precious resources and protected land

Criminalisation of protest will be next - driven around the world by the same right wing thinktanks - https://www.theguardian.com/environ...to-silence-climate-activists-across-the-world

Fast track consenting - https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/fast-track-consenting-fast-lane

What happened during the deregulation spree of the 90s? A 50 billion plus bill for leaky buildings, builders able to go bankrupt and start another business the next day, tens of thousands in huge debt and misery through no fault of their own.

Funding cuts to government departments and deregulation fueled Cave Creek and Pike River

The next looming disaster of deregulation? Apartments - https://www.neontv.co.nz/series/a-living-hell-apartment-disasters

We hear the phrase "Cut red tape" screamed from the rooftops by this neoliberal government.

Opening the country up for sale - https://newsroom.co.nz/2024/01/26/plans-to-scale-back-ministers-powers-over-foreign-investment/

Removal of oversight - the refuge of the authoritarian

Attacking indigenous protections and rights makes sense when they want to sell off and pillage our precious resources and protected land

Criminalisation of protest will be next - driven around the world by the same right wing thinktanks - https://www.theguardian.com/environ...to-silence-climate-activists-across-the-world

Fast track consenting - https://www.beehive.govt.nz/release/fast-track-consenting-fast-lane

What happened during the deregulation spree of the 90s? 50 billion plus leaky buildings.

Funding cuts to government departments and deregulation fueled Cave Creek and Pike River

The next looming disaster of deregulation? Apartments - https://www.neontv.co.nz/series/a-living-hell-apartment-disasters

We hear the phrase "Cut red tape" screamed from the rooftops by this neoliberal government.
This is an honest question mate but how do you sleep at night?

You're starting to reach Wiz status.

In what way?

Herbal tea btw. Chamomile.
Same here with the Chamomile at night and Roiboos during the day.

Anyways, your opinions are like Wiz's. Backed up by cherry picked articles and other media that support your cause.

Not a problem as free speech is what it's all about and this is a free forum but seems to me, and again, this is an opinion, that if anyone doesn't agree with your postulating, they are either deranged or belong to some nefarious offshore network.

Sadly for you, the neo liberal world and the free market will be around for many more years simply because the majority of people, whatever gender, persuasion or race, exhibit the entirely human traits of greed, envy, sloth, wrath, lust, gluttony and pride.

The Magnificent 7

Oversees investment is the inevitable result of running huge current account deficit. We’re living beyond our means and this is the result.

Criminalisation of protest will be next - driven around the world by the same right wing thinktanks
🤣 Wellington protests, Winston Peters trespassed from parliament and Brian Tamaki before the courts under Labour conveniently forgotten?
What happened during the deregulation spree of the 90s? A 50 billion plus bill for leaky buildings, builders able to go bankrupt and start another business the next day, tens of thousands in huge debt and misery through no fault of their own.
Being in the building industry, the leaky homes was caused by architects, designers and product approval. Don’t blame the builders, who have no say in what’s used.

It was a systemic issue with the builders being the victims.

Disagree. The rules were there and they were ignored. Accidents will always happen like White Island. I would argue we’re in the crap with our roads, housing and budgets because our H & S requirements are rediculously overbearing and have stalled the infrastructure progress. The result is every projects way over budget and under delivery which has a massive impact on our quality of life. Cones outnumber sheep in Nz

Last edited:
Same here with the Chamomile at night and Roiboos during the day.

Anyways, your opinions are like Wiz's. Backed up by cherry picked articles and other media that support your cause.

Not a problem as free speech is what it's all about and this is a free forum but seems to me, and again, this is an opinion, that if anyone doesn't agree with your postulating, they are either deranged or belong to some nefarious offshore network.

Sadly for you, the neo liberal world and the free market will be around for many more years simply because the majority of people, whatever gender, persuasion or race, exhibit the entirely human traits of greed, envy, sloth, wrath, lust, gluttony and pride.

The Magnificent 7
A) Wiz hardly ever actually posts links
B) Yep, I sit in my echo chamber, and do try and leave every now and then but
C) It's not really me doing this, it's the coalition. Journalism I happen to trust actually reports on it.

I guess one of the things I'm trying to point out is the Emperor has no clothes. We don't have to do capitalism this extreme.

And we should all be very concerned, maybe even to the point of some form of benign activism, like, I dunno, posting in a rugby league chat with some mostly very civil folk.

We absolutely did not vote to sell off our natural resources, bring back smoking and cease all attempts to mitigate climate change, and nor did the not so nice people campaign on it.

Sorry Wiz - they're out to sell us off no matter what.
but we were in safe hands and heading in a good direction until nine weeks ago?

some of you guys need to look at something other than a screen.
get some fresh air and sun, man.
your team lost bro. tuck it under your arm, run it straight and hard and get back out there. there’s a lot of world outside of anger and bitterness.

if this government had actually achieved half the shit you think/say it has in the nine weeks it’s been in power, (without even accounting for the break over christmas), that would have to be some kind of record.

🙄

but we were in safe hands and heading in a good direction until nine weeks ago?

some of you guys need to look at something other than a screen.
get some fresh air and sun, man.
your team lost bro. tuck it under your arm, run it straight and hard and get back out there. there’s a lot of world outside of anger and bitterness.

if this government had actually achieved half the shit you think/say it has in the nine weeks it’s been in power, (without even accounting for the break over christmas), that would have to be some kind of record.

🙄
Just had a read of Simeon announcements today for his outline of the future of transport and Auckland I am very underwhelmed .
I remember seeing these announcements for 20 years or more.
In the meantime the problem gets worse and the cost of the fix keeps increasing.
Keeping kicking the can further down the road.
Surely we must have someone who is more intelligent and with more vision.

Back