Staff Coaching Staff Discussion

griffin-and-tangata-toa-announcement-1a.jpg
NRL promotion for Griffin

Slade Griffin has been promoted to assistant coach on the One New Zealand Warriors’ NRL football staff for the 2024 season while the experienced David Tangata-Toa has been signed to replace Griffin as the club’s New South Wales Cup coach.

The 32-year-old Griffin replaces departed Justin Morgan to team up with incumbent assistants Stacey Jones and Richard Agar for Dally M Coach of the Year Andrew Webster’s second campaign as head coach.

Griffin’s elevation is reward for an impressive first year as New South Wales Cup coach when he guided the side to a third-place finish in the regular season before falling just one win short of making the grand final.
Incoming New South Wales Cup coach Tangata-Toa has an extensive coaching record including roles with Penrith, North Queensland and Canterbury Bankstown as well as Mate Ma’a Tonga.

“Our commitment as a club is to develop and promote coaches and players from within our system and Slade’s appointment is the perfect example of that,” said One New Zealand Warriors general manager recruitment, pathways and development Andrew McFadden.

“He’s an outstanding young coach who has made a huge impression since arriving at the club four years ago.

“He did a terrific job with our New South Wales Cup side this year and has worked hard to earn this opportunity.

“In David we have a coach with vast experience at all levels. He’s a perfect fit to come in to take the reins with our reserve grade side.”

Webster said he is excited about Griffin’s promotion while his relationship with Tangata-Toa dates back to the days when he was an assistant coach and Tanagata-Toa was a player at Hull Kingston Rovers.

“Slade has made a huge impression on me with his ability to develop our local talent, transition our NRL players back to Cup and find a way to win in the process. It’s a great feeling to promote from within our structure,” said Webster.

“David joins our NRL coaching team where he’ll be our New South Wales Cup coach.

“He has had huge success at developing talent at a number of clubs and has been a part of Tonga’s climb on the world stage as an assistant coach.”

West Coast-raised Griffin was appointed as Sky Sport Future Warriors coach in late 2019 and was due to guide the club’s NRLW side in 2020 only for border issues to force a late change. He joined the NRL coaching staff as a transition coach for the 2021 season before being appointed to coach the New South Wales Cup side in the club’s return to the competition this season.

The One New Zealand Warriors reached the preliminary final with a 49-6 trouncing of the Canberra Raiders only to be pipped 28-24 by North Sydney.

After playing for St George Illawarra and Cronulla Sutherland in the lower grades Tangata-Toa moved to England where he signed with Hull Kingston Rovers when Morgan was head coach and Webster assistant coach. He had a stint with the Celtic Crusaders before returning to Australia where he started his coaching career with the Windsor Wolves in 2011.

Apart from club positions he has been a long-term assistant coach with Tonga including its rise into an international force at the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

SLADE GRIFFIN​

BornJanuary 17, 1991
BirthplaceGlen Innes, New South Wales
Coaching careerSky Sport Future Warriors coach 2019-2020
One New Zealand Warriors NRL transition coach 2021-2022
One New Zealand Warriors New South Wales Cup coach 2023
Playing career:
PositionHooker
Junior clubCobden-Kohinoor Keas (West Coast, NZ)
NRL clubsMelbourne 2013-2017
Newcastle 2018
NRL career41 appearances 2013-2018
Melbourne 25 appearances 2013-2017
Newcastle 16 appearances 2018
NRL points8 (2 tries)
Representative1 Test for Kiwis (2018)

DAVID TANGATA-TOA​

BornJuly 15, 1981
BirthplaceGold Coast, Queensland
Coaching careerWindsor Wolves Bundaberg Cup captain-coach 2011
Windsor Wolves New South Wales Cup assistant coach 2012
Penrith Panthers under-20 assistant coach and head coach 2013
Penrith Panthers New South Wales Cup assistant coach 2014-2016
Penrith Panthers under-20 head coach 2017
Townsville Blackhawks under-20 head coach 2018
North Queensland Cowboys NRL assistant coach 2019-2020
Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs New South Wales Cup head coach and NRL assistant coach 2021-2023
Mate Ma’a Tonga assistant coach
Playing career:
PositionProp
Junior clubBurleigh Bears (Gold Coast, Qld)
Super League clubsHull Kingston Rovers 2005-2007
Celtic Crusaders 2008-2009

It would have been good to have had continuity of coaching for the NSW cup side this year, Slade looked like he was getting there slowly,

Still, welcome aboard David Tangata Toa, I see he has had three years in the Panthers under grades as an assistant, that always looks good on your CV.

Hopefully it works out for him, the NSW cup side is a tricky one at the Warriors, on the one hand there is loads of talent, and with that expectation, and on the other side, you are talking about a gig where your line up is being constantly changed through the high attrition rate of both the NSW Cup team and the NRL team.

Add to that the likely hood this year, that we see one or two of the best promoted for reasonable stints of NRL time.

We all know what to look for in the coaches finger print, the same pattern of the top sides game, we will see I guess.

Perhaps a few Tongan players may make the national side via David T. T. although competition for places is pretty hot up there, still, there might be a bolter, which can only be good for a young players career.

David Toa has a lot of experience at NSW level, NRL and Superleague as well as the Penrith system, sounds like a good pickup. Was Justin Morgan part of the old guard under the previous era?

I spose he could be seen in that light.

I see it differently. Todd Payten wanted some of what we have going on in our coaching set up and made him a good offer to move back to Australia.

Morgan, Jones, Webster and Cappy are all old mates so I doubt he was pushed out as it were, especially after how well we did this year, more likely he took up a new opportunity and managed to get back to Australia for the life style and family.

Astute move by Payten, I am sure he will ask what has changed at the Warriors since he was there and what our secrets are.

One thing we have learned is that the top side needs four coaches. Webster, Slade, Jones, Agar.

That answers the question about whether Morgan was a spare wheel in the big house.

I see it differently. Todd Payten wanted some of what we have going on in our coaching set up and made him a good offer to move back to Australia.

Morgan, Jones, Webster and Cappy are all old mates so I doubt he was pushed out as it were, especially after how well we did this year, more likely he took up a new opportunity and managed to get back to Australia for the life style and family.

Astute move by Payten, I am sure he will ask what has changed at the Warriors since he was there and what our secrets are.
I thought something similar when it was announced Morgan was leaving. There would be opposition coaches looking over at Webster and the turnaround this year and wondering what he did. He's said a bit in interviews which sounds like looked at things a bit outside the box. Getting in one of his assistants would allow them to pick their brains a bit.

Payten and Morgan also worked together in 2020 which would help as he's familiar with him.

I know he's (Morgan) not popular around here but he has given great service to our club both as a player and in the coaching department. He's said it's due to family reasons. After being here so long and through covid getting his family home back to Australia is understandable.

Hopefully it works out for him, the NSW cup side is a tricky one at the Warriors, on the one hand there is loads of talent, and with that expectation, and on the other side, you are talking about a gig where your line up is being constantly changed through the high attrition rate of both the NSW Cup team and the NRL team.
That is staard with a reserve grade coach. the better you do, the more talent they take from your team.

That answers the question about whether Morgan was a spare wheel in the big house.
I am not close to the action, but my guess is that was the case, they were just fiding he right guy.

Perhaps a few Tongan players
Tongans or New Zealanders? 🤔

The problem for Payten though is he's not Webby.
Payten comes across as a 'do as I say' type. Everyone thinks his short tenure as Warriors coach he worked wonders...what I heard was they were playing for Mooks then & Payten taught them sfa.
However, Morgan will be able to show him the mechanics of how they've gone about this season. But Webby's man management across the squad will be hard to replicate, especially for Payten

The problem for Payten though is he's not Webby.
Payten comes across as a 'do as I say' type. Everyone thinks his short tenure as Warriors coach he worked wonders...what I heard was they were playing for Mooks then & Payten taught them sfa.
However, Morgan will be able to show the him the mechanics of how they've gone about this season. But Webby's man management across the squad will be hard to replicate, especially for Payten
Payten just does it a different way.

He’s more a Bellamy take no prisoners with high expectations rather than a Cleary/ Webster elite man manager.

Payton needs player buy in to work which is a real challenge when you’re pushing players beyond their comfort zone. He doesn’t have the Bellamy record to keep the players in line when the doubt creeps into the players mind…

I think Webster brings that family/community style approach. I think it was in that Finals videos where after the loss to Panthers, Webby went around and gave words of encouragement and gave everyone an individual hug.

I think this works for a lot of gentler mannered players and where you will get a lot of buy in and respect. I bet if Webby said, I'm not angry I'm just disappointed, that player would just instantly burst into tears.

Reactions: j_p
Outside of injuries or something else derailing our season this year what do we see as a pass mark for Webby, a fail, or an exceeds expectations?

For me, exceeding expectations would be making the final and/or winning it.

A pass mark for me would be 6th or higher (I would still be happy with making the 8) and anything other than the 8 we've failed poorly

Back