General 2011

• Thread starter staceyjones4life_old
  • Start date

staceyjones4life_old

What will the team look like? All these comings and goings are complicating matters haha. Recruitment is near enough finished, and after we sign this new prop, the focus should shift to retention.

For mine...

I reckon they should keep Matulino and Ta'ai. They're both dynamite when they're on their game and have both shown us how good they can be. If I had to choose, I'd say Matulino would be better somewhere else, where he's not made a prop.

Lillyman's been good but there's simply no room for him, and he'd probably do better somewhere else. Even though he's been finding form this year.

Henderson is a bloody good hooker, and his dynamic form at dummy half was one of the reasons we went well in 2007 and 2008. If he rediscovers that form, which he will if he's given half a chance, he deserves to stay in the squad. Plus, he can fill in at back row. Because we need some more back-rowers :D .

But Heremaia has been in great form this season and is fast becoming a player in the mould of Buderus or Cunningham. So who's being cut? Obviously, one of Heremaia or Henderson is going to be cut, and Mara will replace them next season.

If both stay? Then it leaves the question as to what happens with Hohaia? Do we shunt both Heremaia and Henderson to accomodate him? My bet is Heremaia will stay, as cover.

I reckon Luck is probably on about $150k, $200k max. I doubt he's on the $350,000/$400k they're harping on about over at OneTribe.

McKinnon is gone, released. Simple as that. $150k freed up.

Latimore and Royal are under pressure, but I'd much rather keep Latimore. Younger, more reliable and is more likely to improve in the future. So if we keep Latimore and sign White/Blair/Lima whoever, we have decent propping stocks.

Moon we can let go of, we have Elijah Taylor in reserve who can also cover centre and stand off.

Isaac John is no longer needed. If our first choice halves are Maloney and Seymour, we have utility halves like Johnson, Hohaia, Mara, and (maybe) Heremaia who can cover it, plus Taylor, Mateo, and at a stretch Ropati, Locke and Ah Van, who can all cover 6 too. If Seymour isn't re-signed (dependent on his form) and Mateo becomes our first choice 6...I for one won't be happy.

Tate's retention is important. He's consistently performed well and shows great leadership in the backline. Not just that, he's one of the best centres in the game - imo - and his retention would say something about the Warriors as a club.

Coach wise, Cleary's gone if we don't make the finals, and surely Kearney is the prime target if Cleary gets the sack. Kearney also said something about Storm players ending up going to the Warriors. Which means he probably knows something, which means he might be in talks. Who knows.

Anyway. For mine, our 2011 squad would probably be (asterisks subject to retention, if I've missed anybody let me know):

Outside Backs
Tate*
Tupou
Ropati
Locke
Vatuvei
Inu
Ah Van
Likiliki
Seluini
Taylor

Halves
Maloney
Seymour*
Johnson
Hohaia
Heremaia
Mara

Props
Sam Rapira
Packer
Latimore
New Prop
Gavet
Poching*

Second Rowers/Loose Forwards
Afioga
Luck
Mannering
Matulino*
Ta'ai
Mateo
Louisi
Brown
Steve Rapira

Team
1. Locke
2. Inu
3. Tate/Likiliki
4. Ropati
5. Vatuvei
6. Maloney
7. Seymour (or the other way around)
8. Rapira
9. Mara
10. New Prop
11. Mannering (c)
12. Mateo
13. Luck

14. Hohaia
15. Packer
16. Brown
17. Ta'ai

What do YOU think?

Budo_old

i would have Steve Rapira in my team and ropati would get one game and if hes not walking on water and feeding everyone at ericson with one pie and one bag of chips he gone

insulinboi_old

1 Locke
2 Niko
3 Tate
4 Inu
5 Vatuvei
6 Mateo
7 Seymour
8 Rapira
9 Hohaia
10 White (or equiv)
11 Brown
12 Mannering
13 Luck

14 Heremaia
15 Ta'ai
16 Packer
17 Poching

Ivan might go something along those lines. Or move Mateo to the second row and have Johnson or maloney in the halves. Theres quite a few options really.

scottyb_old

I'm not sure i agree that if we get Blair that he will be played at prop, that would be a waste of his talent. He needs to be played as a wide running second-rower or at lock. He's got too many offloads in him to be tucked up tight in the middle.

PB_old

McKinnon is gone, released. Simple as that. $150k freed up.

It doesn't work that way. He gets paid out his contracted amount, someone else agrees to pay it, or the cost is shared between the Warriors and his new club. Either way, any money we pay to him comes under the salary cap.

Last edited by a moderator:

Iafeta_old

I'm not sure i agree that if we get Blair that he will be played at prop, that would be a waste of his talent. He needs to be played as a wide running second-rower or at lock. He's got too many offloads in him to be tucked up tight in the middle.

I think they're better to shift their attention onto Jeff Lima, for that very reason. Back row depth looks good, an extra prop would be ideal now.

Iafeta_old

It doesn't work that way. He gets paid out his contracted amount, someone else agrees to pay it, or the cost is shared between the Warriors and his new club. Either way, any money we pay to him counts comes under the salary cap.

Or he goes to the ESL..? I can't see any NRL club going after him now.

insulinboi_old

Mckinnons agent should put the feelers out for a super league contract next year.

Lillyman might go back to the cowboys with them losing Rapira and O'donnell, or he might end up in England too.

PB_old

Or he goes to the ESL..? I can't see any NRL club going after him now.
For sure, but there still has to be a club for him to go to. Huddersfield need a fullback with Hogson signing with Warrington.

I get disheartened with the calls of 'release player x' as a cure-all when things don't pan out. Particularly - and this doesn't apply in Wade's case - when they want multiple 'value' players released to get more expensive players without taking depth into account or the fact that it won't achieve much monetarily.

Anyway...sigh.

Gundog_old

I would be happy with Lima, although he did the dirtys on Luck in that game he is a very good prop and does his job well.

I REALLY hope Tate sees the new resignings and it excites him enough to stick it out with the warriors we NEED him, I dont want to go through another rebuilding phase.

If Seymour plays to his potential this year and we resign him we might just have a team next year that won't just make up the numbers but actually compete.

scottyb_old

I think they're better to shift their attention onto Jeff Lima, for that very reason. Back row depth looks good, an extra prop would be ideal now.

My thoughts exactly, Lima would be a far better proposition. I've looked everywhere but i cant find a statement from Scurrah saying he was still looking for a prop. Is this just us wishing or do we really have enough room under the cap to afford another top class player? or is it proviso on Tate's staying or going?

warriors4life_old

I agree with the team in the OP.

Also, for a side that has notoriously struggled with goalkicking since Cleary himself retired (with the exception of Witt) we are a bit spoiled for riches now: Maloney, Seymour, Inu and even Locke all being quite capable.

RRG_old

I've looked everywhere but i cant find a statement from Scurrah saying he was still looking for a prop.

I haven't heard him say what they are looking for, but he did mention in an SMH article that we still have money to sign another player. They would have to have rocks in their head not to be looking for a prop.

Packer has been my biggest dissapointment this year, but he still has the goods, by next year I am picking that Sam and Rusty leading our pack won't look as fragile as it does at the moment. Plus I think Latimore could still develop into a solid bench prop.

Ideally one more solid prop and I think we will be good to go