General 2010 Warriors Draw

sebastian_old

You're such a defeatist. I'd be using these games to prove I was the best, not trying to shy away from them. Lucky you aren't part of the coaching staff.

So what you're saying, Is that In the regular season, you'd honestly rather play Melbourne & Manly twice, (just to prove you were the best) than the Roosters & Tigers (Who we recently have good records against) twice? I dont think wanting the Warriors to win & have the best chance of winning makes me a defeatist.

Last edited by a moderator:

motu1_old

if were going to win a comp manly and melbourne should be nothing to us screw them
we'll smash them next year an every other team whatever draw we get were going to kick a[ss

PB_old

if were going to win a comp manly and melbourne should be nothing to us screw them
we'll smash them next year an every other team whatever draw we get were going to kick a[ss

Yep. Play the best to be the best.

Lego_Man_old

Well...we're not the best.

I'd rather be able to enjoy watching us carve up a couple of **** teams, than see us get flogged.

sebastian_old

Well...we're not the best.

I'd rather be able to enjoy watching us carve up a couple of **** teams, than see us get flogged.

Someone finally see's the light, Amen Lego Man, Amen. The reality that they're ignoring Is that Melbourne & Manly are light years ahead of us In terms of progress.

Jesbass_old

it means nothing unless your winning priemerships

Agreed. And technically, if to be the best means we have to beat the best...then we'll be the best as long as the Eels win the Premiership! Round 1, 2009, anyone? :D

PB_old

Someone finally see's the light, Amen Lego Man, Amen. The reality that they're ignoring Is that Melbourne & Manly are light years ahead of us In terms of progress.

You're right. The Warriors can't possibly compete in this competition and should replace the Vulcans in the NSW Cup immediately. Pesky aspirations can be left to the other 15 teams and whoever wants to be number 16.

sebastian_old

You're right. The Warriors can't possibly compete in this competition and should replace the Vulcans in the NSW Cup immediately. Pesky aspirations can be left to the other 15 teams and whoever wants to be number 16.

Why has my simple point of not wanting to play Melbourne & Manly twice been taken so dramatically. I have not intimated that I want our team out of the damn competition, just that I'd rather the draw we got was different.

PB_old

Why has my simple point of not wanting to play Melbourne & Manly twice been taken so dramatically. I have not intimated that I want our team out of the damn competition, just that I'd rather the draw we got was different.

Apologies Seb. Just trying a bit of reductio ad absurdum.

With a straight face now, all a team has to do is play well enough to make the eight and hit it with some momentum to have a chance. A tough draw shouldn't hamper being better than HALF the competition and any team that can't doesn't deserve to be there. However, if a team doesn't aspire to foot it with the best they can get out of the comp'.

Lego_Man_old

Of course.

But i want to see wins. Would you rather play the two better teams twice, and miss the 8, or play the lesser teams, and make it? You're going to face the best teams in the finals team anyway, so why not hope you are put in optimum position for the business end of the season?

Do you measure success only by Premiership victories?

If so, why be a Warrior fan?

I want enjoyment out of following my team. And enjoyment equates to entertaining football...and victories.

I guess you guys must also be hoping for mideason injuries to Manu, Steven and Lance, because obviously "to be the best you must show great depth and overcome adversity".

PB_old

Of course.

But i want to see wins. Would you rather play the two better teams twice, and miss the 8, or play the lesser teams, and make it? You're going to face the best teams in the finals team anyway, so why not hope you are put in optimum position for the business end of the season?

Do you measure success only by Premiership victories?

If so, why be a Warrior fan?

I want enjoyment out of following my team. And enjoyment equates to entertaining football...and victories.

I guess you guys must also be hoping for mideason injuries to Manu, Steven and Lance, because obviously "to be the best you must show great depth and overcome adversity".

Either or really -- I don't care -- but since we have the better teams twice we'll go with that one for kicks. So we beat them once or twice and then they know we can, or that we have their number completely. If we lose, well, I hope we: learned something, improved our points for, didn't get any injuries, had a good gate, made their recovery session a bit harder, and that people watched and went, 'gee, that [insert suported team here] can really play. I think I'll go to their next game/watch them on TV/talk about them.

I know, I know. That's too positive. Sorry. I'll try harder.

[Trying harder] It's mediocrity. All we do is encourage mediocrity, with this namby-pamby, politically correct generation always wanting the easy way out and not putting in the hard graft. Back in my day we didn't complain about easy draws. If we made the Final and the Minor Premiers were beaten in the Semis or Final they could ask to play a winner-takes-all match. That, and we had to train at one in the morning because we had a full time job plucking pigeons for the war effort.

What do you think? Too ZB? Again, sorry.

Premierships? No. I support the Warriors and Souths so it obviously can't be a factor. At least not in my lifetime to date. Success for me is measured in two ways. On a professional level I expect a team to make the eight. Regardless of the draw, I don't feel that's asking too much, even if eight teams do not. I expect for us to be in a position to go further. On a personal level I want to see a good attitude reflected in their play. I prefer all out attack and will watch or support a team for that alone. I dislike watching teams that are half-arsed and unsure of what they want to be. Even fearsome and scary defense has something going for it.

Regarding: "...to be the best you must show great depth and overcome adversity" and looking forward to injuries. I'll pay a straight bat to this one. It's one thing to hope your club can deal with what is thrown at it, it's another to actually want the bad to happen. But then, some fans might be that pessimistic.

ToiletDuck_old

It's a fairly black and white view to say success is measured in premierships. If it is however, then the Warriors have been a massive failure and should leave the comp (as Mark Geyer says). I'd have to say making the top is 8 is a more realistic measure.

Although I think it is a moot point for next season (as I believe we have to be almost rank outsiders for the premiership along with Sharks and Raiders), I'd still rather see an easier draw than a harder one. In a comp this close, where almost every year the top 8 is decided in the final couple of weeks, teams need all the 'easy' games they can get.

Take Parra for example, they were on a great run, but literally needed to win every week to even make it to 8th. Who would they have rather come up against in the final weeks, the struggling Warriors or a high flying Dogs, Storm, Broncos (who, incidentally were also on a massive high). I'm sure people will come back and say Parra would have beaten everyone etc etc, but the point is, a 1 point, courageous loss to a top side would have ended their season, whereas an average win over a bottom team (i.e. the Warriors) sees them alive for another week.

On the flip side however, we of course need to play and beat the best etc if we're ever going to win a premiership. But playing the top 8 twice a season will more often than not see you packing your bags sooner rather than later.

sebastian_old

Apologies Seb. Just trying a bit of reduction ad absurdum.

With a straight face now, all a team has to do is play well enough to make the eight and hit it with some momentum to have a chance. A tough draw shouldn't hamper being better than HALF the competition and any team that can't doesn't deserve to be there. However, if a team doesn't aspire to foot it with the best they can get out of the comp'.

No worries, at the end of the day we all want the same thing anyways, Pricey holding the Premiership cup.

romel_old

i think having a tuff draw is probably the best thing for the warriors. in saying that,there are no easy games anymore anyways. it all comes down to who wants to win on the day.