General 2008 Election

• Thread starter warriors4life_old
  • Start date

Which party will you vote for in the 2008 Election?

• ACT

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Alliance

• Destiny Church

• Green

Votes: 3 20.0%
  • Labour

Votes: 4 26.7%
  • Maori Party

• National

Votes: 8 53.3%
  • New Zealand First

• Progressives

• United Future

• Total voters

warriors4life_old

Just thought it would be interesting to see the political views of members of the forum with the impending general election.

Personally, I will be voting National because even though I would consider myself slightly left-wing Labour's government has become a bit weary after 9 years and a change would be good.

Any other opinions?

Also, if you are interested to see where you sit on the political spectrum take the test at https://www.politicalcompass.org

daj3_old

If you're voting for change vote greens... this country has ceased to have a multiparty system, soon voting will simply be an exercise in keeping the same bunch of tyrants in power. There's more parties than just labour and national people... stop with this "wasting your vote" bs, and actually find a party that stands for something and represents your viewpoint, not a party that tells you what your viewpoint is.

/rant

warriors4life_old

Personally the Greens are a bit too liberal for my taste.

Plus, the multi-party system's flaws have been more evident this year, I know of a large number of people who want to vote ACT or Greens but instead vote National or Labour for fear of a wasted vote. Ultimately, the minority parties will be misrepresented when it comes to the number of seats they obtain in Parliament.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jesbass_old

Ha, I've always considered myself quite a centreist. I did that test linked above, and although I couldn't answer every question the way I wanted to, I came out almost smack bang in the middle!

Awww politicalcompass org facebook pcgraphpng php 3977d6fc51f78e6d543cd620fab63f98

It's interesting, w4l, to see the likes of yourself and NU who consider yourselves left-wing but planning to vote right-wing this term. I think that trend will continue, and we will see a new government, and a new Prime Minister, by the end of this year.

I too think change is good, and for the first time ever my party vote will go to one of the major parties: National. I have yet to decide who my candidate vote will go to.

Loyal Webby Fan_old

Yes well. Just to vote for nats coz u want a change after 9 years is a cop out.
Yes well. I agree that after 9 years the incumbent govt is getting weary I spoze and there is a need for a change but after hearing the Nats financial package I am dismayed. They could have taken it there and then but no...they have dabbled with Kiwi Saver and that means that younger guys won't reap the same reward at the end of the day as under the original Kiwi Saver as was introduced by Labour.
Under Labour employers had to contribute, and they were reimbursed somewhat with tax credits. Under the Nats that won't happen. The firm I work for at the moment pays out a pension at the end of an employees time here.They don't have to contribute to Kiwi saver. Other firms do also but I spose most don't.
They should or at least set up a super scheme to encourage savings.
Muldoon got rid of Labour's compulsory super scheme in 1975 that would have been really good now..but thats the Nats for u.
Yes the way things are going it looks like the nats will be the govt after Nov 8.

They will sleep walk to victory.
Their Political wing has done a very good job at making sure they get in this time. Right from the day after the election last time they have set out to attack everything Labour has done or suposed to have done. All ministers MPs have been got at for one reason or other. Also u have a very biased TV news people. Especially TVONE. Guyan Espiner must be the Nats best ally.
Every political news statement woteva has always has a favourable slant towards the Nats. EVERY occasion. So after 3 years of brainwashing the people...(are not stupid..says Helen Clark...but they ARE!!!) will be voting the Nats in.

U can say wot u like in opposition...u can always change yr mind when u get in.

warriors4life_old

To be honest, I think the new economic policy is going to put a lot of people off voting National as it seems to encourage spending money in the here and now, rather than putting it aside for the future, and people on KiwiSaver do miss out.

Also, I think voters were expecting tax cuts for everyone but it seems only the middle and upper classes benefit while the lower class misses out in the long run.

Last edited by a moderator:

Kav_old

There is also the Kiwi Party headed by ex United Future MP, Gordon Copeland. They best express my views from a moral point of view (which to me is the most important).

Kav

warriors4life_old

Sorry, the poll would only let me choose 10 options, maybe I should have left out Destiny Church but now that I've said that someone will come along declaring their support for them.

PB_old

Not a one worth voting for. A function of the political position is party self-interest and putting anyone else down if it makes them look good, regardless of basis. Fucking children on a short leash from their masters, and they have the same masters so it makes the barest of real life difference who gets the vote. One set of arseholes replaced by another. Any children reading this, I apologise for the smear.

Voting for the lesser evil is not a favoured option of mine. In lieu of rising up a slaying them, only vote for minor parties to make it a true clusterfuck. Then maybe the big kiddies can grow up and they'll all learn to play nice.

PB_old

Rant over, I feel better now.

I haven't decided yet.

I'll probably end up voting for either the Greens (despite their internal hatchet job on Nandor and dicking around with social policy), or Maori Party (despite Turia, thanks to Sharples). If I was based in Wellington the Workers Party might get a go and I'll look at the Alliance manifesto tonight. If ACT wasn't so far up America's arse (along with Libertarianz) or having the traitorous Roger Douglas on board they would have a shot.

Jesbass_old

Yes well. Just to vote for nats coz u want a change after 9 years is a cop out.
Yes well. I agree that after 9 years the incumbent govt is getting weary I spoze and there is a need for a change but after hearing the Nats financial package I am dismayed. They could have taken it there and then but no...they have dabbled with Kiwi Saver and that means that younger guys won't reap the same reward at the end of the day as under the original Kiwi Saver as was introduced by Labour.
Under Labour employers had to contribute, and they were reimbursed somewhat with tax credits. Under the Nats that won't happen. The firm I work for at the moment pays out a pension at the end of an employees time here.They don't have to contribute to Kiwi saver. Other firms do also but I spose most don't.
They should or at least set up a super scheme to encourage savings.
Muldoon got rid of Labour's compulsory super scheme in 1975 that would have been really good now..but thats the Nats for u.
Yes the way things are going it looks like the nats will be the govt after Nov 8.

They will sleep walk to victory.
Their Political wing has done a very good job at making sure they get in this time. Right from the day after the election last time they have set out to attack everything Labour has done or suposed to have done. All ministers MPs have been got at for one reason or other. Also u have a very biased TV news people. Especially TVONE. Guyan Espiner must be the Nats best ally.
Every political news statement woteva has always has a favourable slant towards the Nats. EVERY occasion. So after 3 years of brainwashing the people...(are not stupid..says Helen Clark...but they ARE!!!) will be voting the Nats in.

U can say wot u like in opposition...u can always change yr mind when u get in.

I agree that the financial package by both parties is pretty weak. National's move doesn't encourage long term saving and, as w4l pointed out, not everyone makes savings.

In contrast to what you say, employers still have to contribute under National's policy - but they contribute less. (A minimum of 2% in the long run, compared to 4% under Labour.) Most employers should be currently paying 1%.

I don't watch TVNZ, so I'm amazed that the state broadcaster has been slanting against the government. That stuns me. I've not watched their programmes for a while now because I always thought their slant to the left was too extreme. In contrast, TV3 seems to slant to the right, but by virtue of being independent, the slant doesn't seem as extreme.

And your last statement is absolutely 100% right. But I'd like to think that people wouldn't make the same mistake twice. (As in, if either party formed a government and went back on its promises, that people would vote them out next time around...but I won't hold my breath, lol!)

Jesbass_old

Not a one worth voting for. A function of the political position is party self-interest and putting anyone else down if it makes them look good, regardless of basis. Fucking children on a short leash from their masters, and they have the same masters so it makes the barest of real life difference who gets the vote. One set of arseholes replaced by another. Any children reading this, I apologise for the smear.

Voting for the lesser evil is not a favoured option of mine. In lieu of rising up a slaying them, only vote for minor parties to make it a true clusterfuck. Then maybe the big kiddies can grow up and they'll all learn to play nice.

Yep, I'd love a centreist government, but I see two problems: indecision would abound, and I just can't see them getting in in the first place. The power base behind both Labour and National are too big to shift in a month. It'd take several years, a lot of lobbying, and a whole heap of cash before we found any balance.

attila_the_gorilla

I will go Greens, even though they are much much too liberal in certain things. For some reason they seem to enjoy having a reputation of simpleton hippies and druggies. I think that idiot Nandor had a lot to do with this, and he is a fellow Hungarian, so I`m especially unhappy to say this. So I don`t like the Green party in NZ, but to me the genuine green principles are a priority. Hope the NZ Greens can also grow up. Rod Donald seemed like a good man, at the time of his death I couldn`t help feeling he was taken out for being too dangerous. Anyway, let`s not go there.

daj3_old

I just don't think mainstream nz ever seems to look past the greens marijuana policy...

Their proposed minimum wage increase is a little unrealistic imo, but it's in line with internationally set targets for minimum wage (66% of average wage).

People think that the green's policies are unrealistic, but then they talk about wanting change...

Let's face it, either national or labour will get the most votes. The more votes you give parties like the greens, (or ACT, NZ First shudder) the more change you are going to see... because if these "minor" parties get a good share of votes we will see more of their "exciting" policies having to be accepted by our increasingly boring, mundane government.

Northern_Union

c/:install_rant.v1
c/:run/rant.v1

First off anyone voting Green needs there heads read in my opinion. You have a party that got 5% of the vote in the last election (5.2%) to be exact ramming through the repeal of section 59 of the crimes act (anti smacking bill). The last 3 polls i've seen indicate that 87% of New Zealanders don't want the anti smacking bill. Add to that that there is a partition with 400,000 signatures on it lead by the Kiwi part (Kav's mob) wanting the anti smacking bill gone. In other words 95% of voters didn't want the Greens and there section 59 rubbish. 200,000 more people than voted for the Greens have signed a partition wanting it gone. The Greens numbers don't add up.

Secondly on the Greens, the ETS (emissions trading scheme) is going to cost the average New Zealand household between $5000 and $9000 a year in carbon tax. This money will be going off shore to pay for other countries to not cut down forrests. Who on this forum can afford to pay that much money for a bullshit scheme in which the scientists can't even agree if global warming is real or is a plantary cycle. The ETS scares me because i can't afford it. At the very least why not use that money here in NZ to improve housing for the poor? Fix the blood state houses that are falling down in south Auckland and are as cold as **** in winter and kids are getting sick in.

Onto labour (anyone still reading?) Working for families. Why is it that the guy i work with, who does the same amount of work i do is $12,000 better off than me at the end of the year? They chose to have children, if they can't afford them they shouldn't have had them, and it should be up to me to pay for them. I could go on and on about labour but i wont.

I like what the Nats have to offer with there tax cuts, working for families people wont get anything but i think thats fair as they have been milking it for a year or two under Labour. The kiwi saver being lowered to 2% is a good idea. I stopped paying into mine when i became self employed and couldn't afford to pay 4%, if National get back in i'll restart my Kiwi saver at 2%. Also at 2% it allows those earning below the national average (well below in some cases) to benefit from what Kiwi saver has to offer (and hats off to Labour because they got this one right with Kiwi Saver).

attila_the_gorilla

I totally agree with you on both counts regarding the greens. I think even Green supporters don`t agree with the anti-smacking bill, it`s a mystery how it was voted in. Pathetic. As for global warming, I personally don`t even care about it, it`s a non-issue. Unfortunately there`s a global hype going on, and the greens need to come to their senses and get back to their roots.

Unfortunately they are still a much better option than any of the alternatives.

daj3_old

The repeal of section 59 has got to be the best thing the greens have done. The fact that it went through despite public opposition is no problem of the greens... if nothing else, it's a problem with our system... a party with 5% votes managed to push through an important part of their agenda... that's actually a reason to vote green, their voice will be heard.

Anyway, opposition to the repeal is a sad reflection on the state of our country and our destructive media.

I don't blame middle NZ for buying into the "anti smacking bill" garbage, but we had an opportunity for intelligent leaders in our communities and media to stand up and explain what repealing section 59 actually meant... instead we get a load of tripe about "good parents" being criminalized for lightly smacking. I for one, am glad that our politicians voted intelligently, not tactically for once.

attila_the_gorilla

I know domestic violence is a big issue in parts of NZ, but I just don`t wanna get to a situation when kids take advantage of these laws and hold their own parents ransom, cos they know their rights... Corporal punishment is not always bad parenting.

daj3_old

Secondly on the Greens, the ETS (emissions trading scheme) is going to cost the average New Zealand household between $5000 and $9000 a year in carbon tax. This money will be going off shore to pay for other countries to not cut down forrests. Who on this forum can afford to pay that much money for a bullshit scheme in which the scientists can't even agree if global warming is real or is a plantary cycle. The ETS scares me because i can't afford it. At the very least why not use that money here in NZ to improve housing for the poor? Fix the blood state houses that are falling down in south Auckland and are as cold as **** in winter and kids are getting sick in.

Human-caused climate change is pretty close to scientific fact now bro, it's pretty hard to find climate scientists that subscribe to the "global warming myth" myth... they're now the skeptics that are the butt of the scientific community's jokes... except they're dangerous as they give politicians (dodgy) cause to ignore climate change as an issue.

It's all very well to talk about housing for the poor, but personally I reckon the entire planet is worth more than $5000 a year of our money. Anyway... the greens have a pretty ambitious housing policy already.

Onto labour (anyone still reading?) Working for families. Why is it that the guy i work with, who does the same amount of work i do is $12,000 better off than me at the end of the year? They chose to have children, if they can't afford them they shouldn't have had them, and it should be up to me to pay for them. I could go on and on about labour but i wont.

It's not about giving the guy you work with more money. It's about giving his family more money... I'm willing to bet this guy isn't $12,000 better off at the end of the year for having kids. Say he did have kids he couldn't afford? OHH WHAT A F*CKIN IDIOT!!! Let's take it out on his kids by letting his situation deteriorate into poverty...

A better "working for families" policy: income declaration at the birth register... can't afford em'? Strangle them at birth... :dance:

daj3_old

I know domestic violence is a big issue in parts of NZ, but I just don`t wanna get to a situation when kids take advantage of these laws and hold their own parents ransom, cos they know their rights... Corporal punishment is not always bad parenting.

Y'know how Police have discretion aye? Like... not every person that commits a "crime" in NZ is criminalized...

If some punk kid calls the cops on their parent for smacking them... I'll bet the response would be...

:rofl:

It's more to do with cases that would have already made it to court under the old legislation, you'd be surprised how much was let go as "reasonable disciplinary force" (such as kids getting whipped with electrical cables, bashed with rolling pins, severe bruising, broken skin). I'd argue that your chance of being arrested for smacking has probably not increased at all, what has increased is the chance that you'll be prosecuted should you beat your child to the point that it requires police intervention.