Politics NZ Politics

Who will get your vote in this years election?

• National

Votes: 17 26.2%
  • Labour

Votes: 13 20.0%
  • Act

Votes: 7 10.8%
  • Greens

Votes: 9 13.8%
  • NZ First

Votes: 5 7.7%
  • Māori Party

Votes: 3 4.6%
  • Other

Votes: 11 16.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Bishop was on the radio this morning giving credit to National for the number of First Home Buyers entering the market. The truth is, government's rarely are able to affect the housing markets.... they go in cycles and now happens to be the right time in the cycle for FHB's to enter the market with interest rates about to drop and house values are slowly creeping up. Nothing to do with the new governments policies and everything to do with the part of the housing cycle we're currently in.
Politics. It is changing while they are in so it's a win. Even though nothing they have done in the last few months would do anything. Same thing if it was going the other way. The opposition would be saying they have mad it worse.

On the sacked ministers. Both main parties have a lack of talent. Labour took a while to sack them. The thing with both parties is do they have someone else to step up or do they overload the few ministers that can get things done.

I’ll be honest guys, politics has bored me lately. We’re in the ‘getting on and doing it’ part of the election cycle where everything that’s happening was announced before the election.

No new policy. Just continually rehashing what was already voted for with a mandate at the election. 🥱
First government I can remember where there’s been no honeymoon period from the public whatsoever. Right from the smoking debacle of pulling the wool over the public’s eyes and announcing something there wasn’t even a whisper about has left an impression on people. They’ve got a long way to earn many peoples trust again

There's some angst about what they're cutting, Internal Affairs, Cyber defence, diabetes monitors, disabled carers etc. More at 11.
We do need to make cuts. But it does seem a bit extreme with some of them. To be honest I've been too busy and only seen the headlines of X people from this ministry or a % of this ministry need to go. It doesn't come off like there has been a lot of research into what headcounts are needed and how over staffed different ministries are. Some may be, but others may be understaffed.

As someone who works in IT and been involved with businesses who have been the recipient of a cyber attack. It is something we should be investing in. Yes the companies themselves also need to invest in protecting themselves. But a lot of the government ministries don't do things properly.

The diabetes and disabled carers come under health. An area after the pandemic we should be investing in. We don't want a repeat in 5-10 years if another virus hits and our health system can't cope as we haven't learnt from covid.

Diabetes is something all western countries are being hit with and it will get worse as more and more of the population become obese. That not only leads to diabetes but also other issues. We should be investing in the treatment but also aiming to get the health of the population improved. Having less people in danger of having limbs amputated is a good thing.

First government I can remember where there’s been no honeymoon period from the public whatsoever. Right from the smoking debacle of pulling the wool over the public’s eyes and announcing something there wasn’t even a whisper about has left an impression on people. They’ve got a long way to earn many peoples trust again
I think you need a positive media strategy to control your public image and they have failed miserably in that respect.

Fighting with the media cost them a honeymoon period due to NZ First.

I wonder how different things would have been if it was only National/ Act?

I think you need a positive media strategy to control your public image and they have failed miserably in that respect.

Looking at acts numbers in that recent poll, they are trending downward too. Swarbrick overtaken Seymour as a preferred prime minister too, though low percentage for both

Last edited:
How's early retirement going, you back from cruising the Greek Islands in your super yacht? I'm not jealous.
Mate, I was away for 2 weeks and missed three games / 3 weekends.

Manly, Dragons and Titans. I came back expecting 3 wins… not the season on the ropes.

Reminds me of when I went on a 6 week contiki as a youngster. Left when we were about 6th coming into the finals and came back and missed we had played in the GF!

No, they need credible and less conglomerate-led policies. Sell-outs yet they talk like they know whats best for us. Talk about not being able to read the room 😵‍💫
Or thinking we're like every right-wing country in the world.
No wonder Luxon's resume is that of a numptie. Seymour is a joke. Winnie is a fly on the rump of a cowpat.
Rant over.
They're bereft of workable policies that aren't carbon copies of countries far bigger, far richer, and more populated than we are.

Mate, I was away for 2 weeks and missed three games / 3 weekends.

Manly, Dragons and Titans. I came back expecting 3 wins… not the season on the ropes.

Reminds me of when I went on a 6 week contiki as a youngster. Left when we were about 6th coming into the finals and came back and missed we had played in the GF!
Never thought I'd say it but don't go away again this year if that's the result :LOL:

I’ll be honest guys, politics has bored me lately. We’re in the ‘getting on and doing it’ part of the election cycle where everything that’s happening was announced before the election.

No new policy. Just continually rehashing what was already voted for with a mandate at the election. 🥱
Most of my current disinterest in politics is because I firmly believe we are still in the last stages of the covid period. The health crisis has finished but the economic and social crisis is lagging and still playing out this year.

An economist has said the inflation bubble the world has been fighting is only due to the worldwide supply chain effects of covid and we will return to low inflation as the world economy gets back to normal. He’s actually said the whole battle (with raising interest rates, stalling the economy) has been irrelevant and we didn’t need to do any of it as it would correct itself naturally.

I see the same with crime, health, labour shortages and many other issues in the economy. It’s all out of our control in an abnormal period in our history and in 10 years time we will look back at now as still the last stages of covid. Just a cyclical reaction to the economic covid shock.

Which gets to politics. It’s pretty much irrelevant within the big picture, although we could come out better or worse with different political management. Yes they are tweaking around the edges, but there’s bigger world wide things happening in the real economy that need time to resolve.

Why not use this time to actually try and learn something of the subject matter?

Back